Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Granada, the Maghreb, Portugal, Scotland, Ireland, and a whole lot of other places would really benefit from being able to actually fight defensively instead of what happens in EU4.
The core issue is that the entire game is built around backporting the early 19th century to the middle of the 15th, whether that's the base development of a country like England being greatly magnified, or the states being able to effectively utilize that development to crush their rivals. You'd probably get something much closer to historical balance if there were severe anti-snowball features in effect for even the beginning countries, with even countries as small as Portugal or Scotland being penalized to some degree - just not to anywhere near the same degree as England, or worse, France.

The power of the Ottomans could to a large degree be driven by having a better administration early on that allows them to take better advantage of their empire, and thus snowballing, with Europe needing to catch up to halt their progress and eventually turn things around. Small states like Portugal or Scotland would have a sort of similar dynamic, except instead of needing to take advantage of a relative strength, they'd need to take advantage of the relative weakness of England and Spain to grow strong enough to be able to resist them when the latter got their acts together.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Two things I'd really like to see fixed in a future title: armies marching across whole continents with unlimited reinforcements and every conflict ending up as a hellwar to the bitter end. I'm not really sure how you fix that problem though. Maybe with a more complicated supply model and the AI somehow understanding attrition?
Straight up having a limit to how far away your troops can go, like there is for colonizing, seems like the obvious solution to the first problem. Alliances in this case needing to at the very least clear the hurdle of the other country being able to put their troops in a decent chunk of an enemies provinces, and ideally also in yours. The hellwar business seems like it could be dealt with by a more responsive/nuanced war exhaustion system. Like, there's war exhaustion caused by actual devastation and deaths, and there's the war exhaustion caused by angry estates which could go up and down much faster, thus rapidly forcing a conclusion to an inconclusive war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Morocco is literally more powerful than any Iberian nation at game start

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Granada, the Maghreb, Portugal, Scotland, Ireland, and a whole lot of other places would really benefit from being able to actually fight defensively instead of what happens in EU4.

Everywhere in the world would benefit from this. The lack of real logistical mechanics are one of the games biggest problems.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Two things I'd really like to see fixed in a future title: armies marching across whole continents with unlimited reinforcements and every conflict ending up as a hellwar to the bitter end. I'm not really sure how you fix that problem though. Maybe with a more complicated supply model and the AI somehow understanding attrition?

I feel like adding extra complications to the player's ability to extend force would require reengineering a significant chunk of the UI to make that clear to players, because it'd be a big shock to players to just be moving along their units and then halfway through one of their arrows, a big chunk of their troops disappear.

Not that it couldn't be done, just that it seems like something they'd need to make some bold decisions about to make the game feel more engaging despite the fact that the explicit intent is to disempower the player instead of just bolting a new system on with a couple numbers tweaks.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

PittTheElder posted:

Everywhere in the world would benefit from this. The lack of real logistical mechanics are one of the games biggest problems.

The supplies mechanic of imperator is one of the few good innovations in its combat system. Really should be part of every game going forward.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Communist Walrus posted:

A new Sweden-only random event where its brightest minds flee to Aragon. -50% monarch point generation for 1000 years

400 year MTTH unless Sweden has formed Rome, then it drops to 1.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like adding extra complications to the player's ability to extend force would require reengineering a significant chunk of the UI to make that clear to players, because it'd be a big shock to players to just be moving along their units and then halfway through one of their arrows, a big chunk of their troops disappear.

Not that it couldn't be done, just that it seems like something they'd need to make some bold decisions about to make the game feel more engaging despite the fact that the explicit intent is to disempower the player instead of just bolting a new system on with a couple numbers tweaks.

I feel like a simple thing to do would be to make morale even more important/visible but have a lot of different modifiers. Like it only refills at max speed in home territory, if the army is too far away from your capital/states it imposes max morale penalties etc. If that 100k army you send to South America has to deal with limited morale that refills really slowly it would greatly slow them down without being any annoying extra systems.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I had another idea for limiting hell wars: Max warscore. Maybe some CBs just naturally have a low max warscore, for wars that are essentially punitive, but on top of that you could have the max warscore be changed dynamically. Beating enemy armies in the field, even if you're ultimately defeated strategically, would reduce the max warscore they can accumulate and thus increasingly make it not worth it to prolong a war. You just need a significant "Not much more to gain" modifier to wanting to sue for peace to override whatever modifiers exist to prolonging it.

Zeron posted:

I feel like a simple thing to do would be to make morale even more important/visible but have a lot of different modifiers. Like it only refills at max speed in home territory, if the army is too far away from your capital/states it imposes max morale penalties etc. If that 100k army you send to South America has to deal with limited morale that refills really slowly it would greatly slow them down without being any annoying extra systems.
That's an elegant solution. No hard limit on what you can do, but you really have to consider whether what you're doing is worth it.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

ilitarist posted:

It's a low wages country for EU. I've worked in a company that worked for huge EU company that outsorced a lot of the work to us, guys from outside of EU. At some point they've decided to cut costs and moved their headquarters from a more wealthy country to Spain. In theory, they could buy out my company or other companies all over the world. But they explained to me that moving business inside of EU is comparatively easy and risk-free. So they cut a lot of old experienced professionals, some have relocated to Spain.

I guess Spain is considered the most "civilized" of the cheap EU and the cheapest of "civilized" EU, I don't see people moving their business to Hungary or Bulgaria.

Catalonian salaries are not the highest in Europe, but they are not particularly low either, like only 14% lower than the European average, or 28% below the UK.
I don't call that a truely low wages country. Especially not when compared to the situation one and a half generation ago: they made a huge jump on the prosperity scale, even with the recent crises included.

https://www.catalannews.com/business/item/salaries-in-catalonia-13th-highest-in-european-union

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Zedhe Khoja posted:

The supplies mechanic of imperator is one of the few good innovations in its combat system. Really should be part of every game going forward.

Agreed, it's a relatively simple mechanic that's easy to understand and use but has a huge impact on warfare. I'll be shocked if they don't do something similar in EU5.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Magissima posted:

Agreed, it's a relatively simple mechanic that's easy to understand and use but has a huge impact on warfare. I'll be shocked if they don't do something similar in EU5.

Totally -- it's easy to see how that system could simulate something like Napolean's Russian campaign.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is Imperator worth buying yet?

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Mostly.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zedhe Khoja posted:

During one of the EU4 dev clash streams, Johan idly mentioned that he wished EU4 had the new Imperator food system as he was watching european armies march around china without penalty. I suspect that he's going to want to add it to EU5, at the very least.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is Imperator worth buying yet?

Yeah mostly. The character mechanics are kinda fun with events, but marriage is pretty broken. Under monarchy you have to arrange marriages for your own family, but if there's even a slight gender imbalance then the AI controlling the other families will automatically snipe any eligible characters the instant they turn 16. You can try for the ruling families of your neighbours, but they also get sniped the second they turn 16.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

During one of the EU4 dev clash streams, Johan idly mentioned that he wished EU4 had the new Imperator food system as he was watching european armies march around china without penalty. I suspect that he's going to want to add it to EU5, at the very least.

I hadn’t even thought about that as an impact of it (because in Imperator I’m always fighting close to my borders), but that’s a huge benefit. You’d need to do something special for hordes I guess.

Enjoying Imperator now after bouncing off it hard at launch, although as usual with paradox the next patch fixes something that’s bugging me about the game in its current state (vassals), making it hard to start up a new game.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Beefeater1980 posted:

I hadn’t even thought about that as an impact of it (because in Imperator I’m always fighting close to my borders), but that’s a huge benefit. You’d need to do something special for hordes I guess.

Enjoying Imperator now after bouncing off it hard at launch, although as usual with paradox the next patch fixes something that’s bugging me about the game in its current state (vassals), making it hard to start up a new game.

Imperator lets your armies loot food from any province they've captured the capital of. That should be good enough for hordes.

Also I kinda gave up on my game after drifting into a civil war, only to have the game end instantly the second the war broke out. I didn't even get a chance to read the messages explaining why.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Beefeater1980 posted:

Actually the vassal changes got pushed to the patch after the next patch so it's going to be like 4+ months until that's sorted

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah mostly. The character mechanics are kinda fun with events, but marriage is pretty broken. Under monarchy you have to arrange marriages for your own family, but if there's even a slight gender imbalance then the AI controlling the other families will automatically snipe any eligible characters the instant they turn 16. You can try for the ruling families of your neighbours, but they also get sniped the second they turn 16.

this really needs to be sorted with a 'debutante' button or something

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Fuligin posted:

this really needs to be sorted with a 'debutante' button or something

Didn’t CK2 have a betrothal mechanic to handle this kind of thing?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Beefeater1980 posted:

Yeah i got the Paradox-disease hard and can't bear to continue my lp until it comes out.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I'm thinking / hoping that the nobles and trade goods thing is going to give the game that "why should I conquer this territory instead of that one" factor which EU4 has but Imperator lacks and makes the world feel less like a big blob of all more or less the same thing.

At the moment you just go for the place with the most pops which are hopefully your culture / religion and maybe you aim specifically for a nice chokepoint border somewhere. But there's never the feeling that there are territories which are really way more vauable than others (except for Egypt because it's so pop dense and full of papyrus)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I do feel like the trade and production mechanics in EU are rather over-abstracted given that they're practically the single most era-defining feature of the period EU covers. As a power in the new world you don't have any real control over which resource your colonies produce, and you don't really care, because what difference is it if your province in Carolina makes cotton or tobacco? In the East, you grab some provinces and make them trade companies to increase your trade power, then gather up some merchants and plonk them down in nodes to steer the trade home. And if you are playing someone east of Persia, instead you just want to keep the Europeans out and stop your trade leaking out, forget about any foreign trade of your own. And to make things even more bizarre, trade goods and trade itself have almost exactly nothing to do with one another except as a tenuous numerical relationship.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, trade goods themselves in EU4 are very not interesting (except when you get a ton of high value ones in the same place) but dominating trade nodes and controlling river estuaries and trade ports is a big deal, and gives some shape to the geopolitical "value map" aside from pure geography.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Maybe some kind of monopoly simulation could help: if say I'm the Philippines and manage to conquer 90% of the spice-producing provinces in SEA, well I could pretty much set the price instead of being forced to sell them for 3 gold or whatever it is, with some pre-set "desirability" modifier where spices, ivory, tobacco, dyes etc would always be in higher demand than grain, fish, livestock... but overall the more diverse is the ownership of a single trade good, the lower the price should be due to market competition. Would make it worth to try and conquer the most sought after trade goods, and still worth it to get a high share of one single type of good even if it's not the best one.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah, trade goods themselves in EU4 are very not interesting (except when you get a ton of high value ones in the same place) but dominating trade nodes and controlling river estuaries and trade ports is a big deal, and gives some shape to the geopolitical "value map" aside from pure geography.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I agree it's a big deal, but it's also quite simplistic. Like, you want to control a river estuary, not because of any emergent reason like nations upriver deciding to send their trade down to the sea because that's the most profitable way to route their own trade, but because those provinces have a river estuary modifier which adds more number to your trade number.

I am no game designer, but off the top of my head my idea would be something like a slimmed down version of pop needs from Vicky, but on a slightly more abstracted state level. e.g. your country needs [x] grain [x] wool/cloth [x] iron each year, and desires [x] spices [x] wine etc. You could get those through a trade system, or make colonies & trade companies to take the resources yourself, and I dunno maybe your mercantilism score affects how much of your own produced goods you get to keep vs selling on the market for cash. Maybe the trade system lets you buy goods from the node your merchant is in at normal prices, with higher and higher tariffs depending on how many nodes away the source good is, so you'd be incentivised to try to get your merchants into faraway nodes or something, and then eventually do things like conquering India or Macau when the merchants become less cost effective.

Maybe that's too fiddly, I don't know, but I would like something more engaging for trade than "colonise Ivory Coast -> colonise Cape -> gradually monopolise all far eastern trade"

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Well, if the forums die from the current drama, I'm gonna miss postin' about Paradox games with y'all on something awful dot com

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Someone want to post an up-to-date link to the paradox goon discord?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
well if this place goes up in smoke out of nowhere I just wanted to say that I always like the paradox game threads in this forum

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

well if this place goes up in smoke out of nowhere I just wanted to say that I always like the paradox game threads in this forum

Same.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

toxx for next paradox game to be about proto-indo-european expansion 5000 years ago

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The grog discord has paradox channels. Basically the same people posting in both threads anyway.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

mapgoons is the one you want.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

https://discord.gg/as6gFg

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

toxx for next paradox game to be about proto-indo-european expansion 5000 years ago

If they did this then Paradox would have to move away from a map striated by static provinces to a map based on smooth space. Which would be really cool but hard for them to do because provinces are such an ingrained part of all their games.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I'm not going to quote the goat man above but drat that's some nostalgia :911:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

There's also North Paracord, a discord more loosely centred on paradox LPs, where you can come and despair with us about the fate of screenshot LPs if things really do go south.

https://discord.gg/xaMpK7s

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why are people making so many loving discords instead of just joining one or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

They have different purposes - Mapgoons is mostly around organizing MP games of paradox games and discussion being incidental to that (want your nazi-free HOI4 games? Place to go) while the other one is more about discussing running LPs and LPers. This is why discord is not a replacement for a forum and we should fight to reclaim our forum from Lowtaxes abusive grip.