Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

SoftNum posted:

6p is harder to find games for than 4p, just FWIW.

For A&A do we know what he finds compelling about it? Generally things like Kemet or Cyclades are suggested for DoaM-type of games that are more strategic. For big Ameritrashy dice-fests Cthulu Wars is fun but spendy as gently caress. Smallworld is a good risk-ish game, but probably isn't going to scratch the same itch, depending on what they like about A&A.

I think part of it is the dicefest + the general setting.
He LOVES King Of Tokyo due to tossing dice and killing other players. So I'm guessing that's part of the pull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I've found a few people nearby people who are interested in some board game days. So far our get togethers have been relatively low key in terms of games played but their wanting to branch out into some more in-depth games. Strategy games are A+

So far we've played:
Ticket to Ride Europe
Settlers of Catan
Star Fluxx
Age of War
Love Letter
Viticulture + Tuscany
Carcassonne
Kings of Tokyo

Was going to introduce Flash Point, Pandemic Legacy, 4 Gods, Machi Koro and MAYBE Dead of Winter

One of the gentlemen is really interested in Axis & Allies or a game similar. Is there a particular version people recommend over others? They were eyeing the Axis & Allies & Zombies as reviews seem pretty good?
Is there a game that just kicks the old stand by game out of the water in terms of just being better?

Edit: There are 4 of us if that makes much of a difference. We may have another couple join us soon

Dune might be up people's alley.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I think part of it is the dicefest + the general setting.
He LOVES King Of Tokyo due to tossing dice and killing other players. So I'm guessing that's part of the pull

A&A isn't great from a balance, and length and (effective) player elimination problems; but it's ok.

Quartermaster General is a good alternative. There's no dice though.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Look into Arcadia Quest for dice fests imo

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

SoftNum posted:

A&A isn't great from a balance, and length and (effective) player elimination problems; but it's ok.

Quartermaster General is a good alternative. There's no dice though.

Thank you! I'm interested just seeing they have a 1914 version and I so rarely see anything WW1 related. Trying to find some vids, that might be a good way to try as well
Worse case A&A versions can normally be had on sale and I can pick it up as well

Shadow225 posted:

Look into Arcadia Quest for dice fests imo
I'll take a look, thank you

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Chill la Chill posted:

This was brought up as a criticism for flow of history and it's never been a problem for me. I can definitely see where it's a problem now. But, I will maintain that the key difference here is that you still gain those points from having the last card, so there is still an incentive for you to take it. There might be an edge case where you might not want to take it so you can crank your engine instead, but IIRC none of those engine cards even get you points.

Flow also has the benefit of being 6 hours shorter so I'm more willing to forgive it when it fizzles out at the end sometimes.

Playing Glen More on Yucata for the first time and how have I never played this before??! It kinda feels like what I thought Keyflower would be before playing it. I also don't think I've ever played a game with a rondel I didn't like and this one is quite nice.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 9, 2020

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bellmaker posted:

Flow also has the benefit of being 6 hours shorter so I'm more willing to forgive it when it fizzles out at the end sometimes.

Playing Glen More on Yucata for the first time and how have I never played this before??! It kinda feels like what I thought Keyflower would be before playing it. I also don't think I've ever played a game with a rondel I didn't like and this one is quite nice.

As a contrast, I've played a few games with that particular "the further ahead you go on that turn the longer you wait until your next turn" mechanic and I hate it, a lot.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

To the surprise of no one, the people behind CAH are huge pieces of poo poo:

https://twitter.com/atheresastewart/status/1269310742450393089

https://twitter.com/FourArmsDemon/status/1270103620084785153

https://twitter.com/elainetall/status/1270114289735667713

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 9, 2020

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

silvergoose posted:

As a contrast, I've played a few games with that particular "the further ahead you go on that turn the longer you wait until your next turn" mechanic and I hate it, a lot.

Sorry, I like Olympos too :shrug:

I get why it can be bad but both games are too short for me to complain. Are there other games with this mechanic?

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 9, 2020

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bellmaker posted:

I get why it can be bad but both games are too short for me to complain. Are there other games with this mechanic?

Oh, I don't even think it's a bad mechanic! Just doesn't gel with me at all.

Off the top of my head: Patchwork, Heaven & Ale.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tiny Chalupa posted:

One of the gentlemen is really interested in Axis & Allies or a game similar. Is there a particular version people recommend over others? They were eyeing the Axis & Allies & Zombies as reviews seem pretty good?
Is there a game that just kicks the old stand by game out of the water in terms of just being better?

I think Twilight Imperium 4th Ed is probably the best version of Axis & Allies (but in space!) as a trashy all-day dice-throwing experience. I don't think it's the best designed strategy game, but it has a lot of interesting chrome to enjoy.

I feel like a lot of superior strategy games depend on having some knowledge to balance the game. TI has a lot to it, but not a lot of "Red needs to keep Blue in check or the game balance falls apart" to stuff. So even though it's complex (and slow first-time) you can kinda take it one turn at a time.

Or just play something short and sweet like Kemet, but there's an epic-ness that you only get with a 6 hour game.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

Or just play something short and sweet like Kemet, but there's an epic-ness that you only get with a 6 hour game.

And thats why I play solarquest :angel:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Control Volume posted:

And thats why I play solarquest :angel:

I loved solarquest and no one can take space monopoly away from me.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

silvergoose posted:

Silvergoose making nasty subtweets about Patchwork. drat.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I'm such an old man that I really struggle to understand what was going on in these stories

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

quote:

I was told if I continued dating a person Max’s friend had a crush on, I’d be fired

pretty straightforward

quote:

I guess I should mention the time the owners tried to put the N-word into the game and how Max Tempkin tried to have me fired when I complained. I only found that out in a fact-finding meeting the state of Illinois held. They settled, of course.

also super straightforward

quote:

I was a writer in their room for a few years, but I started raising a ruckus about the unethical, racist way the predominantly white, upper-middle class room was approaching writing the game. The head writers Julia Weiss and Jo Feldman convinced my parents I was having a mental break and had me committed for five days, during which time they called other writers and told them not to talk to the hospital so that I would stay there longer.

jfc

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bellmaker posted:

Thebes, and it's good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jimbozig posted:

Silvergoose making nasty subtweets about Patchwork. drat.

It would be more effective had I not specifically mentioned it in my next post.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I will not stand by idly while the honour of my beloved Patchwork is sullied

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

silvergoose posted:

Oh boy, I have news for you: you won't like Neuland.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

If anyone is ever looking for a good chill party game that's easy to explain and not horribly offensive check out Snake Oil.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

I will not stand by idly while the honour of my beloved Patchwork is sullied

Who's even saying it's bad? I said I hate it. :v:

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh boy, I have news for you: you won't like Neuland.

Oh, drat. Can you describe it a bit more in detail?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

food court bailiff posted:

If anyone is ever looking for a good chill party game that's easy to explain and not horribly offensive check out Snake Oil.

My favourite chill party game is 1846

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

CommonShore posted:

When future civilizations try to understand the TG board game thread, show them this post but ask them to pretend it's not a joke.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

CommonShore posted:

I could unironically see playing 1830 while half-in-the-bag with people who at least understand the rules could be a bit of fun and possibly result in a fist-fight over someone repeatedly trashing people's stocks and spilling whisky on charters (what a waste).

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Is Irish Gauge a good toe in the water for 18xx?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

jesus WEP posted:

I'd say Chicago Express is closer since there is no randomness.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

jesus WEP posted:

Just play 1830

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

no

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Huskalator posted:

Just play 1830

I'll ask the question, as I've been generally curious for a while.

Why should I play 1830, and what sort of engagement/time level is required of the players? I have heard of the 18xx games, but I have literally 0 experience with the traditional variety.

Further to that, what are considered 'the best' 18xx games?

*queues up some light reading for his lunch break tomorrow* :munch:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

silvergoose posted:

Oh, drat. Can you describe it a bit more in detail?

You can take up to 12(?) "time" in a given turn. Different actions require different amounts of time. Then after you're done, the time marker moves to the next player in line. Sometimes this is you. It's a tempo game with logistics where sometimes you want to take double turns and sometimes you want to take tiny turns.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

You can take up to 12(?) "time" in a given turn. Different actions require different amounts of time. Then after you're done, the time marker moves to the next player in line. Sometimes this is you. It's a tempo game with logistics where sometimes you want to take double turns and sometimes you want to take tiny turns.

I think, think, that the mechanic doesn't work for me primarily when it's on a track, so you're skipping specific spaces when you take your turn. Sounds like that's not strictly what's here...

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

Infinitum posted:

Why should I play 1830, and what sort of engagement/time level is required of the players? I have heard of the 18xx games, but I have literally 0 experience with the traditional variety.

Others will have other perspectives but here's mine:

1830 to me is baseline 18xx. It is a tight, brutal, and competitive experience(but played with all newbies can be pretty soft) which imo is a bellwether as to whether you will enjoy other 18xx games. It has a lot of elements and mechanics that transfer over very nicely to other 18xx games and I think getting good at 1830 will make you good at other 18xx games. I think when my group started playing 18xx an 1830 game would take about 4hrs or so which shortened down to 2.5-3hrs once we got experienced. I have heard horror stories of 8hr games in some groups and I just don't understand how. 1830 is probably most commonly cited as the best beginner 18xx game by experienced 18xx players but 1846 and 1889 are also commonly cited.

The "best" is hard to nail down because 18xx games come in all varieties and everyone has their particular tastes but here are some popular ones:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Infinitum posted:

There's an 1861/1867 reprint box gearing up for production now.
I've read the beta rules they've put up online, and they're really easy to grasp with my 0 experience.

1861 takes place in Russia, where you pay bribes to lay extra track, then you deliberately ruin your company, and the government buys it from you for cash.
1867 is the same, but in Canada, and more free when it comes to company placement.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Infinitum posted:

Yo I ordered Cartographers based on your posts in this thread and it's absolutely tops, thanks for the posts.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Infinitum posted:

I used to be scared of the genre but 1830 is really quite simple rules-wise (in fact I guarantee you the rules are far simpler than probably most of the current-era MWE you've played recently). Just do some reading beforehand and maybe watch a video or two to figure out the little things like how the initial auction works.

The best thing I can say is get three other people who are interested and patient and willing to fumble through the first game with you and then hopefully you all enjoy it and can play it again and again and again...

Since playing 1830 and understanding how the game works (not necessarily how to play it well) my eyes have been OPENED and I feel like a recent convert to the faith that needs to spread the message of robber barony and track tiles to all. Incredible to think that Tresham is responsible for two of my GOATs.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
1830 is relatively high engagement if you want to play well since you have to consider everyone's positions and incentives relative to your own to a greater degree than most other boardgames, and many things you do will significantly shift those incentives. You're also doing math fairly often since it is a financial game. It's simple math, but it's baked into the framework since you're managing asset transfers between multiple entities constantly.

Yea, you're never going to get anyone to agree on a best 18xx since they tend to emphasize different areas. I'm a pretty big fan right now of 1849, 1828, 1830, 1860, and 1825 though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Infinitum posted:

Lots of people are chiming in for 1830, but 1846 is actually quite good too. I find that 1846 with new players is about 4h, but with experienced players it's like 90 minutes or so. I like 46 with new people because the stock market is simpler and there's quite a bit of emphasis on operational stuff, which is instinctively what people assume the games are about because that's what the majority of the board is.

The other problem with 1830 is the waterfall auction is counterintuitive and the companies are very difficult to evaluate without experience.

I also like 49, 57, and 22mx

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

jesus WEP posted:

There's quite a lot of clear water between cube rails games (such as IG) and 18xx's, and I dislike the idea of one being a stepping stone to the other. It's a good game, and has a much lower buy-in than 1830 in terms of rules and playtime, so it might serve as a flyer to see if you can get a longer game about buying shares in train companies crossing maps made of hexagons.

Infinitum posted:

I wouldn't say anyone "should" play 1830. Not wanting to play train games is I think a rational stance that I wouldn't want to dissuade anyone from. But I think they're a lot of fun. They're complex and involved strategically, and (the majority) don't have the luck or actual negotiation that I dislike in other games of a similar length.
Teaching the rules from scratch can be an hour or more. I wouldn't say any of the rules are particularly complex, but there are a lot of them. For the game, I would say five hours would be very brisk for a table of new players. Besides the standard things that add to playtime (such as unfamiliarity with the rules and needing to check the rulebook), new players tend to be conservative, which will cause the game's to drag. This is why the general advice to new players is "if you're not earning the most money, buy more trains." You should want to do that anyway, as trains make money, and money wins games, but it can be intimidating, which causes the problem. Trains are the game's clock, and in 1830 the only thing pushing them is players choice, so it's entirely possible for the game to stagnate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

FulsomFrank posted:

Incredible to think that Tresham is responsible for two of my GOATs.
A guy who worked with him ended up at Microprose and worked on :airquote:Sid Meier's:airquote: Railroad Tycoon and Civilization.