Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

Except it specifies the model carrying the relic gets the AP -1. So either the "choose a model" bit is wrong or the "the model with the relic" is wrong and either way, someone done hosed up.

Maneck posted:

It doesn't say that it's based on range (it probably should).

First, choose a model within 18".

Next, the model with the weapon adds +1 armour pen. to its attacks (the target of the attacks does not matter for resolving the effect).

Whoops, you're both right. I read too many abilities and even multiple readings I kept adding that it was against a specific target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn
It seems pretty clear to me.

Pick an enemy unit with 18 inches of the relic bearer. The relic bearer then gets +1 AP against that unit until the end of the turn.

Edit; oh drat it doesn't actually specify that it's against that unit. Either it's a typo or it's just meant to work at close range.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ffoecaf posted:

It seems pretty clear to me.

Pick an enemy unit with 18 inches of the relic bearer. The relic bearer then gets +1 AP against that unit until the end of the turn

Yes but as jng and Maneck pointed out, it doesn't actually require you to attack that target to get the AP bonus.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE
The wording makes it so that the benefit is gained for all attacks made by the model with the relic instead of attacks made by the model against the chosen unit. This is either a hilarious oversight and it's intended to only work against the chosen enemy unit, or it is intended and it's just a buff that that triggers based on enemy proximity as a way to incentivize closing the distance and playing more aggressively.

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn
Yeah it's got to be a hilarious oversight because otherwise 'add 1 to the ap of this unit for the rest of the turn if there is an enemy unit within 18 inches at the start of the shooting phase' is a much better way to word it

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

ffoecaf posted:

Yeah it's got to be a hilarious oversight because otherwise 'add 1 to the ap of this unit for the rest of the turn if there is an enemy unit within 18 inches at the start of the shooting phase' is a much better way to word it

Conversely, wording it that way makes it very clear exactly what happens and when because 40k nerds are the worst when it comes to any possibly unclear wording and this leaves almost no wiggle room as to its interpretation.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Made some progress on Hive Fleet Coconut. Definitely need to slow down though, noticing lots of sloppy mistakes. I think I have the basics down at least.

The Broodlord... is going to be rebased. It's a thing.

I hate Termagants 🙂

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I have just learned why people paint pieces individually and then glue them together. 1 rubric down, 9 to go. :I

snuggleshrub
Jul 2, 2010
I've been building up a Thousand Sons army, but holy crap painting that trim or painting around said trim is sure a task.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Spudd posted:

I have just learned why people paint pieces individually and then glue them together. 1 rubric down, 9 to go. :I

If you've used super glue it'll be easy enough to snap it off.

If you used plastic cement :rip:

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

I recently got into the hobby and cursed myself for liking Thousand Sons so much, because trying to do the trim on rubrics was a nightmare for me

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I'm happy to have a shoddily painted first wave of dudes, can be a chronicle of my (hopeful) improvement. Also it was a fun day to learn that my hands twitch when held at certain angles that I've just never experienced.

I'll try my best but they ain't winning and beauty contest. Look at dudes painted back in the 90's to get an idea of my skill level. :v:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Strelok604 posted:

I recently got into the hobby and cursed myself for liking Thousand Sons so much, because trying to do the trim on rubrics was a nightmare for me

It looks amazing when done well, though.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Dan Didio posted:

It looks amazing when done well, though.

I'm sure, but I don't really enjoy painting and just want an army that doesn't make me feel bad over my lack of skills

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dry brush and inking for the rush jobs. My Cadians look like they got in a fight in a printing house next to a glitter factory but at least it’s better than nothing.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ro5s posted:

For the crawler I like the entropy cannons, Death Guard really need guns that can shoot over 24". The rhino really just want a combi bolter, it's not doing much shooting.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I’d magnetize the crawler. The entropy cannons are good for long range heavy firepower, which DG lacks. The mortar itself is kinda thrash, but you can run crawlers in a pair, with a reroll 1s chaos lord nearby or something and they’re okay for firepower. A really cool way to run them though, is plague spitters and drive it straight into people’s faces, block objectives, etc. point for point the crawler is one of the most obnoxiously hard to kill things in the game. T8, 12w, 5++ and 5+fnp. You can also buff the str of it, since it affects the plague spitters and make them strength 8-9, which seems cool but is kinda clunky and impractical imo. Anyway, both ways are kinda cool, so I’d magnetize.

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately I do not have magnets at my disposal presently, so entropy cannons it is!

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately I do not have magnets at my disposal presently, so entropy cannons it is!

You don't need magnets for the side guns. They just slot onto the square pegs and stay on in my experience. And I've always used Spitters as autohitting is better than rolling terribly BS with Heavy weapons, and the aforementioned STR buff can come from Demon allies pretty easily.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Harkano posted:

You don't need magnets for the side guns. They just slot onto the square pegs and stay on in my experience. And I've always used Spitters as autohitting is better than rolling terribly BS with Heavy weapons, and the aforementioned STR buff can come from Demon allies pretty easily.

OK, neat!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Strelok604 posted:

I'm sure, but I don't really enjoy painting and just want an army that doesn't make me feel bad over my lack of skills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5NjILq-IsE

This video might help a little? A relatively quick and simple method for a still good result.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I've heard it said that if you paint then glue you need to mask off (or retroactively scrape) the areas needed for glue contact. Personally, I've glued things together with paint on them (forgotten marine shoulder pad, for example) and it's worked out fine. Can anyone elaborate on how much masking and scraping is necessary?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
With acrylic paints, plastic glue can function something like a solvent. It will penetrate and deform the paint and allow the two plastic surfaces to bond - somewhat, anyway. The strength of that bond is a function of the plastic penetrating the paint surface - and is therefore unpredictable but in all cases weaker than if the paint was scraped off.

The real tip is that, seeing as plastic glue acts rather like a solvent, put some plastic glue on as if you were going to stick the parts together without scraping. And then, use a knife to scrape the paint. It will be loose and easy to remove. Be careful that you don't lift off more paint than you want too. Once the scraping is done, add a little more plastic glue, and now it's easy to get those plastic surfaces together for a proper bond.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

For arms with marines I used a larger drill bit to every so slightly create a very shallow divit instead of scrapping with a knife. My drill bit was the same one I used to make holes for rare earth magnets but I’d only just barely scrap the paint. Allowed for a little more control. Doing this to both sides also allowed for plastic glue to not really “squish” out the sides.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Speaking of paint, I'm thinking about magnetizing Crisis Suits once 9th launches and I start my Farsight army. I've never done it before but I'm pretty game to try it. One thing I hadn't considered is painting over magnets. I assume that's fine to do, but are there any considerations around this that I ought to know about?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Some interesting stuff from today's 9E preview:

• Vehicles and monsters ignore -1 penalty for moving with heavy weapons(!!!)
  • Monsters can fight units in terrain 'one level up' in melee (i.e. a Trygon can attack things in the first storey of ruins)
  • Tanks/monsters can shoot at a unit that's engaged with them @ -1 to hit
  • No blast weapons in melee range
  • You can declare targets even outside of things you're in combat with, but if you can't kill the unit you're engaged with then you can't shoot the units you declared against who you're not engaged with
    Example: A Leman Russ declares it's sponsons against hormagaunts and its battle cannon on something else, if the hormagaunts don't all die then the battle cannon can't shoot the other target.

Edit: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/09/tanks-are-back-on-trackgw-homepage-post-1/

xtothez fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 9, 2020

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The paint will eventually scrape away.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

xtothez posted:

• They can fight units in terrain 'one level up' in melee (i.e. a Trygon can attack things in the first storey of ruins)
  • You can declare targets even outside of things you're in combat with, but if you can't kill the unit you're engaged with then you can't shoot the units you declared against who you're not engaged with
    Example: A Leman Russ declares it's sponsons against hormagaunts and its battle cannon on something else, if the hormagaunts don't all die then the battle cannon can't shoot the other target.

Uh I like it. Exocrines shooting into melee? :getin:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

xtothez posted:

[/list]

Do the shots then get resolved against the hormas or is it just "can't fire"?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

Can't fire.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Schadenboner posted:

you declare all your weapons targets before you start shooting right? so you say sponsons at hormagonts, battle cannon at that thing over there. You can't actually shoot stuff other than what you are in combat with, so it is a gamble that you will clear the melee unit first.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So Heavy Flamer sponsons are going to be de rigueur?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Schadenboner posted:

It's not in that article, but according to a couple of folks who watched the live stream blast weapons can't be used in melee. They're covering that weapon type in tomorrow's post so I'm sure it'll be mentioned then.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Schadenboner posted:

They always were the correct choice

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

ro5s posted:

Thanks. I thought about it, but I figured on a phone camera it'd just be a messy blur at a distance. I might have a go tomorrow and see if I can get something decent.

An attempt was made :v:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lord_Hambrose posted:

They always were the correct choice

:haibrow:

E:

Commissar Zombie looking swag af.

:3:

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

ro5s posted:

An attempt was made :v:

very nice, could I have a closeup of the daemon prince?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

peer posted:

very nice, could I have a closeup of the daemon prince?

He's old enough to be metal, with old warhammer zombie dragon wings.

Schadenboner posted:

Commissar Zombie looking swag af.

:3:

Thanks, I'm pleased with how he turned out without too much work going into making the cap for him.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I briefly thought the nurgling on the big bell guy was worn as a hand-puppet in a Carnival-of-Chaos reference.

Still really good.

E: Never mind, the figure I had in mind was a zealot for Witch Hunters!

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

xtothez posted:

• Monsters can fight units in terrain 'one level up' in melee (i.e. a Trygon can attack things in the first storey of ruins)

Edit: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/09/tanks-are-back-on-trackgw-homepage-post-1/

It looks like the -1 to hit targets you're engaged with is specific to Heavy weapons, so if you have a storm bolter or other assault/rapid fire pintle weapon, it shoots targets you're engaged with without penalty.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Death Guard PA update teaser looks great. Psyched to drop 20 Poxwalkers into cover on an objective every game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I've seen this on a couple of Goonhammer posts, does anyone know what model this is (or how it got kitbashed if it's a kustom job):