Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I didn't realize that Nebraska does drag professionally now until this week's episode. How good is she?

Could be interesting to see her on the show if she is good, given the fact that her first time in drag was on the show as a makeover challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I truly don't get all the Cracker hate. I remember people in this thread liking her during her first season, and I can't remember her getting into any sort of controversy.

Cracker just comes off as incredibly egotistical to me, ngl, but without the actual chops or any charisma to back it up. For someone who insists they're a comedy queen who looks good, her brand of comedy does not resonate with me, and her looks are often busted imo. There's something off to me about the way she paints, and her padding is whack as gently caress more often than not.

fwiw I've disliked her since day one at least lmao

Always found it funny that there was that drama between Cracker and Aquaria about them looking too alike or whatever, but Cracker was the comedy queen and Aquaria was the look queen. By the end of the season Aquaria was the one who ended up giving me what Cracker was trying to sell-- and looked amazing doing it.

e: ^^ from what little I know about Nebraska's drag career, she isn't great. But she also hasn't been doing it very long in the grand scheme of things I guess.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

esperterra posted:

Derrick's drunk roast will live forever in my heart. Trinity's repeated attempts to stop him, and standing in the back with a sign that says HELP, until Nebraska finally convinces Derrick to get off stage is just too drat good.

Trinity with the stagehand hook

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I think a big part of whether someone likes Cracker or not relates to whether you buy her whole "I'm faking my confidence hehe" thing but maybe I'm wrong

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Blair St Clair was giving me major Grimes vibes and not in a good way

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Eej posted:

Trinity with the stagehand hook

yessss

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Finally watched the first ep and oh. my. god. The queens. The new format. The queens. THE TIP CARRYING OVER.

I thought I was gonna hit a drag race burnout wall but I'm more excited about this season of all stars than anything in a while. I'm really worried about Ongina though. I'm not sure if she has what it takes :ohdear: and I love having her on my screen so so much

I think Alexis deserved top spot, though, and was I the only person who wasn't impressed by Blair's performance???

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think Blair was like the definition of safe, along with Shea. Not amazing but not as bad as Derrick or Mayhem.

Also yeah Alexis owned. I woulda been happy with her or India winning so it felt right.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I'm a little confused by Jujubee's performance, as it was clearly not live, but everyone reacted like it was. Maybe something hosed up the audio they got and they swapped it later?

Anyway, new format rules because we all know Ruveals are the best part and there's a very deep bench of people we'd love to see

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Nihonniboku posted:

I didn't realize that Nebraska does drag professionally

does she though

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

angerbeet posted:

does she though

SHRUG. She took over India's spot at the Dancing Crab or whatever that place is called. I am too lazy to research on my own.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Nihonniboku posted:

SHRUG. She took over India's spot at the Dancing Crab or whatever that place is called. I am too lazy to research on my own.

Well, we know Alexis P. Bevils has never performed there...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Glad we dont have to put up with a season of watching Derrick Barry be Britney over and over and over and over and over and over again. ZZzz boring.

Also, Alexis hasn't lost any charm - she's so loving entertaining. BAM!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

angerbeet posted:

does she though

She does... something

https://twitter.com/bon_abhijeet/status/1220009796134371328

This is apparently from this year. What's she been doing since season 5? lol

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

that's like the type of dancing that my uncoordinated rear end does while I'm listening to my headphones and vacuuming.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

gandlethorpe posted:

She does... something

Not drag. Nebraska performing regularly or w/e is a more recent thing, from what I understand. The past few years or so.

but yeah lol she's bad

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I expected Mimi Imfurst to come out after that India win. "Oh My God! That's Mimi's music!"

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Yvie ate that lip sync, as usual...but India's somersault slide RIGHT UP onto Yvie was a C.U.N.T. moment that had my partner and I gasping.

I noticed front rolls (BACK ROLLS?!) aren't actually very common in lip sync performances (or at least on RPDR)...I believe, other than India, I've only seen Trinity the Tuck and Heidi N Closet do it. Am I missing anyone?

Edit: someone on Reddit got a clip of it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/rupaulsdragrace/comments/gy5s19/yvie_won_the_lip_sync_overall_but_this_move_by/

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 9, 2020

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Yeah I absolutely gagged over that front roll and slide. I think if India hadn't been up against Yvie she might have had a better chance.

Vintersorg posted:

Glad we dont have to put up with a season of watching Derrick Barry be Britney over and over and over and over and over and over again. ZZzz boring.

Also, Alexis hasn't lost any charm - she's so loving entertaining. BAM!

Derrick IS really entertaining and he DOES do Britney really well but also just... I was rolling my eyes really hard at her in Untucked (and deliberation scene) when she's going on about how she can't just do 'Derrick' without it being Britney... it feels like she doesn't really TRY hard to break out of Britney, like she doesn't really have the creativity to figure out what she can do outside of it? I don't know, I'm pretty stoned rn. I'm sure she does really good stuff outside of Britney!! Bob was even saying on the Pit Stop she's so good at impressions, how was she not able to make that come across in her performance?

gandlethorpe posted:

She does... something

Me lipsyncing to Chromatica in the mirror. Legit thought she hit her head after that uh... dead drop and thats why she was staying down. Lmao.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I actually thought India misjudged the slide and was gonna put a pump into yvies leg but it looked incredible

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, Yvie's eyes and mouth go all wide, but it's hard to tell if that was in reaction to India sliding or if it was just her lipsyncing the next line.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

We probably would have seen it if it had been too bad tbh, Ehlers danlos gives you crazy easy to puncture skin and blood just falls out and it's gross

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

huh?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Yvie has Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, which makes her skin and joints really hosed up and painful. It helps her do contortions and such, but is also extremely painful and weakens her vessels and organs.

I actually didn't remember the front flip into the slide, because my brain immediately got concerned when India careened into Yvie's knee

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah IIRC during her season Yvie was saying that the clock was ticking for her as a drag queen because in a few years it's possible that she physically won't be able to do it. Which sucks, a lot.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
She already doesn't do after-show meet and greets, etc, because she prioritizes putting on a good show for everyone in the audience over stressing her body out further to provide extras to a few.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i'm still convinced widow has it after watching her intentionally dislocate her shoulder for a lip sync, its super common but not often diagnosed and it gets even MORE underdiagnosed in men bc the symptoms are generally more mild bc its antagonized by estrogen

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

RE: Cracker

I think her season 10 promo look is one of the best ones ever, and nothing she's done on the show has ever come close to living up to it.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

gandlethorpe posted:

RE: Cracker

I think her season 10 promo look is one of the best ones ever, and nothing she's done on the show has ever come close to living up to it.

everyone looked incredible in that photo other than Asia O'Hara, which is wild to look back on after seeing her on the show.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

ALFbrot posted:

Yvie has Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, which makes her skin and joints really hosed up and painful. It helps her do contortions and such, but is also extremely painful and weakens her vessels and organs.

quote:

Yeah IIRC during her season Yvie was saying that the clock was ticking for her as a drag queen because in a few years it's possible that she physically won't be able to do it. Which sucks, a lot.

Yeah, and I believe Chi Chi's condition (scleroderma) is essentially the opposite of this? :(

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

the escape goat posted:

everyone looked incredible in that photo other than Asia O'Hara, which is wild to look back on after seeing her on the show.

very possibly the single worst wig to have appeared on the entirety of the 17 aired seasons

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

In case you haven't seen it...

https://twitter.com/amandalepwhore/status/1269378297474908161

I'm... a Derrick fan now? :aaaaa:

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Anyone want to recommend drag race podcasts? I have long been a matreon of Alright Mary, but I like also having the option of a chill fun fashion-oriented podcast where they will say if something's rigged or bullshit and aren't afraid to kindly critique what they're seeing. Race Chaser doesn't really do that, imo, and it's a lot of ads. I used to listen to the Squirrelfriends Cocktail Hour for that, but then they stopped covering drag race. So I switched to It Bears Repeating and now they're not covering drag race either. I'm giving Bring Back My Girls a listen, haven't formed an opinion yet. I expect them to shortly stop covering drag race.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Drag Her is fun. They're comedians so they aren't afraid to be shady rear end bitches. You should listen to it regardless because Nicole Byer.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Race Chaser got real tired real fast even though it's hosted by two of the most entertaining queens Alaska and Willam. Maybe listen to the first season where they spill all the behind the scenes drama from the show ever. They run out after that.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Yeah, I listened to Race Chaser early on and really liked it. It's just not as fun for me now.

I'll check out Drag Her, I love her on Twitter.

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

Race Chaser got real tired real fast even though it's hosted by two of the most entertaining queens Alaska and Willam. Maybe listen to the first season where they spill all the behind the scenes drama from the show ever. They run out after that.

the problem with race chaser is that Alaska is so desperate to not say anything bad about WOW/Ru and Willam is the exact opposite/desperate to stay relevant and they both ran out of gossip and behind the scenes stuff a few seasons back

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Pinwiz11 posted:

In case you haven't seen it...

https://twitter.com/amandalepwhore/status/1269378297474908161

I'm... a Derrick fan now? :aaaaa:

Derrick talking mad poo poo about a drag style not changing yet.... still Britney. And how India shouldn't have been there. Nah, sit down - you're the one who maybe should be on All Stars 15.

India turned it up that episode and Derrick sat on poo poo impressions to a dead audience.

E: LOL

https://twitter.com/AThehuman/status/1269463717625937928

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A God drat Ghost posted:

I'll check out Drag Her, I love her on Twitter.

Nicole Byer? Yeah, she's great. Her cohost Mano Agapion is also really funny. Fun fact, I'm friends with him on Nintendo Switch but we've never interacted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Nihonniboku posted:

Nicole Byer? Yeah, she's great. Her cohost Mano Agapion is also really funny. Fun fact, I'm friends with him on Nintendo Switch but we've never interacted.

Cool! I started listening and yeah this is exactly what I wanted, I'm into it.