Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I think Gil is a fine character idea and I think he has potential to be pretty funny, or at least likable in a moleman sort of way. However, he suffers from being introduced just as the bad seasons start, so I think he's not very funny just because the show isn't very funny at that point. Never really had a chance, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gil is a good example of the show getting more mean-spirited, since the humour around him mostly consists of him failing and getting dunked on even when he tries his best. Especially since he largely fills the shoes of Lionel Hutz, whose failures are consistently a direct result of his own incompetence and immorality.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Gil's desperation and Cookie's territorialism worked great at establishing the sort of company Marge was joining, but neither character needed to be seen again.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bitterandtwisted posted:

Gil's desperation and Cookie's territorialism worked great at establishing the sort of company Marge was joining, but neither character needed to be seen again.

Yeah, it's this.

It was around this time that one off characters became regular characters, and only famous people who play themselves, would be one off characters. I mean I laughed my rear end of the first time I saw Disco Stu, he never needed to return, it's OK to have one off characters that are never seen again.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I actually think Gil's appearance was probably one of my earliest signs that the show was irreversibly slipping in quality. Like there have been episodes throughout the good Simpsons that I didn't care for, but I think I always assumed they'd always bounce back.

Maybe I've never been into lazy, mean-spirited humor for the sake of laughing at someone's misfortunes.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i thought gil was the old grey mare guy, going to stick with this interpretation

venomsnek
Apr 13, 2018

THE KING UTTERED SOMETHING
Gil being so unsuccessful and unpopular as a character is pretty meta, so points for that.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Nookie Kwan is the cousin of Cookie Kwan. She is physically identical to her cousin and the number one realtor on the east side of Springfield. She appears when her cousin is dating Professor Frink. Like Cookie, she is also of Chinese heritage.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Wonder how it might have gone if they had Cookie as the female Lionel Hutz.

I remember one later episode she's asked why she keeps changing jobs and says "I'm a sexual predator."

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There was a weird series of episodes where there was another prospector character named Cookie who appears and then disappears forever. It’s like they tried the idea out and it was so bad they just got rid of him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wonder how it might have gone if they had Cookie as the female Lionel Hutz.

I remember one later episode she's asked why she keeps changing jobs and says "I'm a sexual predator."

Lindsey Nagle also has the job-hopping trait.

Lindsey and Cookie are pretty similar. I wonder if all of Lindsey's appearances had been Cookie, thus not diluting the "sociopathic striver" appearances between two characters, if she would have been a hit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PostNouveau posted:

Lindsey Nagle also has the job-hopping trait.

Lindsey and Cookie are pretty similar. I wonder if all of Lindsey's appearances had been Cookie, thus not diluting the "sociopathic striver" appearances between two characters, if she would have been a hit.

I was actually thinking of Linsey Nagle and can't remember who Cookie is.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

oh man, tha'ts right. gil DID appear in that real estate episode with hutz. poo poo, i take back what i said then. though that being said, he still came off as very manufactured.

i did like one line he said though, which he says after some barely successful thing he accomplished: "oh man, gil''s gonna eat food tonight!"

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 4, 2020

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

edit: dp

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Doggles posted:

Waldo Geraldo Faldo

RIP
:spiderguy:

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I agree with what that other guy said, Gil was a perfectly fine character in the first episode he appeared in and never needed to come up again

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lemon posted:

I agree with what that other guy said, Gil was a perfectly fine character in the first episode he appeared in and never needed to come up again

He reminded me at first of the pretzel wagon franchise guy. "Check for ... ughh.... millipedes..."

Today that guy would just be Gil.

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

Data Graham posted:

He reminded me at first of the pretzel wagon franchise guy. "Check for ... ughh.... millipedes..."

Today that guy would just be Gil.

That makes sense, as the Pretzel Wagon guy was voiced by Jack Lemmon, who played the character in Glengarry Glen Ross that Gil is based on. I suppose that they created Gil to continue using leftover Glengarry Glen Ross gags, and the writers just kept on using him.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

gil is great and so is grimey I don’t care if they make you sad or whatever

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

iamsosmrt posted:

I disliked Gil from his first appearance and I wouldn't be shocked if I've never laughed at a single Gil gag.

The first episode is funny enough and the rotary mobile phone scene gets a laugh but for the most part Gil follows the trajectory of the show.

The Fred Willard (rip) character in the super bowl ep feels Gil-ish too. I wonder if it was originally and they rewrote it when theye got a guest voice.

spaceblancmange fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 5, 2020

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

iamsosmrt posted:

I disliked Gil from his first appearance and I wouldn't be shocked if I've never laughed at a single Gil gag.

I laughed when he tried to sell the school a Colecovison Adam. So weirdly specific a reference.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Has there been a Gil episode yet? Where is successful or something.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Flannelette posted:

Has there been a Gil episode yet? Where is successful or something.

He becomes successful when he moves to Arizona and becomes a real estate agent, but then Marge torpedoes his career and he moves back.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That episode ends with them all moving to a house in Scottsdale.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I legit thought this was Gils first appearance, because I misremembered the Jimmy Stewart impersonation being more in line with Gils stammering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzz8BvaQL9Q

This has been my Gil story.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
So what's the general consensus for best episode to show someone who has never seen the Simpsons before?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nutsngum posted:

So what's the general consensus for best episode to show someone who has never seen the Simpsons before?

Although "You Only Move Twice" is the best episode, it relies a lot on taking The Simpsons out of their natural habitat in a way that might not land if you don't know what their natural habitat is.

"Marge vs. the Monorail" is probably a can't miss episode.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

WeaponX posted:

gil is great and so is grimey I don’t care if they make you sad or whatever

It's from later Simpsons, but I have to say "Gil's eating FOOD tonight!" is one of my favourite lines and deliveries in the history of the show.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I saw a very specifically dated episode which I feel the plot was common in a lot of shows at the time. Bart befriends a middle eastern kid who Homer thinks their family are terrorists, and the family works in demolitions so Homer things they’re going to blow up a building in a terrorist act. Homer saves Moleman from drowning and the family forgives him.

I swear in 2003-04 there were tons of shows that did this kind of plot, where a character on a show thinks a middle eastern person was a terrorist only for it to be a misunderstanding.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah the office did it with Michael Scott and the IT guy

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

I swear in 2003-04 there were tons of shows that did this kind of plot, where a character on a show thinks a middle eastern person was a terrorist only for it to be a misunderstanding.

Yeah, American Dad and 30 Rock also spring to mind

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The Simpsons never did an AIDS episode right? A lot of those early 90s sitcoms wrote in that one new kid or guy at work who's really awesome but had AIDS and thus no one would be let em in the same room for fear of spreading it. The kicker was they almost always qualified the character's infection with a moral innocence like it was transmitted via blood transfusion or something like that.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, American Dad and 30 Rock also spring to mind

Yes. It was like how every single show in 2007-2008 did an episode about Trans fats.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nutsngum posted:

$pringfield (or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Legalized Gambling)

MarioOnTheComputer
Feb 5, 2002

Scaramouche posted:

I laughed when he tried to sell the school a Colecovison Adam. So weirdly specific a reference.

Now let's talk about rust-proofing. These Colecos will rust up on you like *that*...[shut up Gil, close the deal, close the deal!]

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

PostNouveau posted:

Although "You Only Move Twice" is the best episode, it relies a lot on taking The Simpsons out of their natural habitat in a way that might not land if you don't know what their natural habitat is.

"Marge vs. the Monorail" is probably a can't miss episode.

I was born a "Homer at the Bat" advocate, and I will die a "Homer at the Bat" advocate

I don't think it relies too much on context, it's just absolutely funny as gently caress on its own

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nutsngum posted:

The most recent one.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

The most recent one.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Code Jockey posted:

I was born a "Homer at the Bat" advocate, and I will die a "Homer at the Bat" advocate

I don't think it relies too much on context, it's just absolutely funny as gently caress on its own

Definitely in the running. I'm not from the US and still don't have any idea who any of the baseball players are to this day but that lack of knowledge doesn't detract from the episode at all.

In fact, I only recently learned that the song at the end is based on a real baseball song, which was a real :aaa: moment when I heard it in the wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I only recently learned that the version of that song that I grew up with was not in fact written originally for my home team and the songwriter made a custom version for every team :aaaaa:

e: yes I was a ridiculously credulous mark for all those "college folklore" stories that are told to freshmen as though they happened at this school, but then eventually you realize they are told at every single school in the universe

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 10, 2020