Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Thanks for the effort. I’ll be online in around an hour and I’ll try one of these dudes :)

I just saw that you can use the fellowing tab of the social dialog to filter for nazgun members if you choose "show players by kinship" at the bottom. Ask one of them if someone with invite privileges is online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
Looks like the Free Quest Coupon is out. LOTROFREEQUESTS is the code and gives you all this:

Quest Pack: Central Gondor
Quest Pack: East Gondor
Quest Pack: West Gondor
Quest Pack: Wildermore
Quest Pack: Angmar
Quest Pack: Enedwaith
Quest Pack: Eregion
Quest Pack: Evendim
Quest Pack: Forochel
Quest Pack: Eriador Bundle
Quest Pack: Misty Mountains
Quest Pack: North Downs
Quest Pack: Trollshaws
Quest Pack: Lothlorien
Quest Pack: Great River
Quest Pack: Old Anórien
Region Pack: Far Anórien
Quest Pack: March of the King
Quest Pack: Battle of the Black Gate
Quest Pack: Legacy of the Necromancer
Quest Pack: Where Dragons Dwell
Quest Pack: The Vales of Anduin
Quest Pack: Mists of Wilderland

https://lotro.com/en/friendsforever

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I'm installing the game for the first time in like... ten years??? Geez, I am ancient.

From what I remember Minstrel and Warden were fun for the first few levels, so I'll probably waffle between them. Both can be hobbits. Both seem good for solo questing. One lets you kill enemies by playing music and singing at them, the other lets you heal by stabbing people and has a nice run speed buff.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I'm installing the game for the first time in like... ten years??? Geez, I am ancient.

From what I remember Minstrel and Warden were fun for the first few levels, so I'll probably waffle between them. Both can be hobbits. Both seem good for solo questing. One lets you kill enemies by playing music and singing at them, the other lets you heal by stabbing people and has a nice run speed buff.

I just began playing last week after trying the game in like 2014 and only doing a few quests and then quitting. I started a champion but got kinda bored and then rolled a hunter and I'm having a blast. Running around plinking things with my bow is great fun. They also have run speed boosts and other things. She's up to level 23 now. If you're playing on Landroval give me your in-game name and I'll send you some money and any low level stuff I still have lying around.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
i just hit 100 and i'm loving gondor but i'm not sure where to go next? i'm doing the epic book in dol amroth / belfalas for now but it looks like all of central gondor, eastern gondor, and old anorien are level 100 zones, then far anorien goes from 100-105? I'll just follow the Vol IV epic questline for now and assume it'll breadcrumb me through these regions but any advice would be appreciated.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Kaysette posted:

i just hit 100 and i'm loving gondor but i'm not sure where to go next? i'm doing the epic book in dol amroth / belfalas for now but it looks like all of central gondor, eastern gondor, and old anorien are level 100 zones, then far anorien goes from 100-105? I'll just follow the Vol IV epic questline for now and assume it'll breadcrumb me through these regions but any advice would be appreciated.
100 was endgame for a long time so they have quite a lot of zones for that level that you can now completely ignore. Get to 105, mordor will be next after that.

Following the epic questline is not a bad idea because there are some trait points hidden in there towards the end of gondor. Also the questline keeps moving you through zones that will level you up to 105 and then introduces you to mordor.

It also contains several very, very annoying quests that have you do a lot of running back and forth (and back and forth and back and .....) in minas tirith for quite a while.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I've just started playing this as a hobbit minstrel, must have played back in 2012 as I remember bits and bobs. I'm finding the store and all these quest packs and expansions to be rather confusing.

I redeemed the code that the Devs put out on twitter and I understand there's a loaf of stuff at a greatly reduced price (99 points?!) Should I just get the ~ 900 points required to redeem all that and I'm set? Is there's anything really cheap on the store that's considered essential for a newer player or should I be exhausting all the free content.?

Id absolutely love to check out the Mines of Moria, some of the environments I've seen on YouTube or screenshots online look breathtaking.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

mitochondritom posted:

I redeemed the code that the Devs put out on twitter and I understand there's a loaf of stuff at a greatly reduced price (99 points?!) Should I just get the ~ 900 points required to redeem all that and I'm set? Is there's anything really cheap on the store that's considered essential for a newer player or should I be exhausting all the free content.?

The expansion pack discounts aren’t live yet AFAIK but coming soon.

No need to buy points, just play the game and do as many deeds as you can in every zone as you level. In case you didn’t already know, deeds are separate from quests and are more like proto-achievements (kill X orcs, visit all the ruins in a single zone, etc). They usually award between 5-20 LotrO points each.

Another useful thing from the store is the currency wallet. It lets you store all the faction-specific currency items you find in a separate limitless bag instead of having them take up inventory space.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Comrade Koba posted:

The expansion pack discounts aren’t live yet AFAIK but coming soon.

No need to buy points, just play the game and do as many deeds as you can in every zone as you level. In case you didn’t already know, deeds are separate from quests and are more like proto-achievements (kill X orcs, visit all the ruins in a single zone, etc). They usually award between 5-20 LotrO points each.

Another useful thing from the store is the currency wallet. It lets you store all the faction-specific currency items you find in a separate limitless bag instead of having them take up inventory space.

They just went live a couple of hours ago, in fact. Note however that this is the "expansion quest" packs... not the "Expansion" itself per se. I'm not really sure that there is much difference besides maybe some title and minor cosmetic items.

https://twitter.com/lotro/status/1268623750142078980

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

flowinprose posted:

They just went live a couple of hours ago, in fact. Note however that this is the "expansion quest" packs... not the "Expansion" itself per se. I'm not really sure that there is much difference besides maybe some title and minor cosmetic items.

I’m assuming that means you get the quests and dungeons but not the new classes like Warden, etc.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Comrade Koba posted:

I’m assuming that means you get the quests and dungeons but not the new classes like Warden, etc.

Yeah that's probably correct as well, I didn't think about the bonus classes or races, but I would not think they would be included in a quest pack.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Comrade Koba posted:

There's something called the Steely Dawn pack that you can buy from resellers for around $3 and comes with 500 points. I'd buy that regardless. Then if the sale is coming to an end and you haven't naturally accumulated the remaining points you buy them for $10ish. Points also have "double bonus" sales and I'd expect we get another before the end of this promotion.

And seconding the wallet. Not having to use up inventory space on faction currency is a game changer. The wallet does tend to go on sale at least once a year but tbh I wish I hadn't waited for a sale. It's that big of a difference.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Kaysette posted:

Just follow the epic questline when it takes you to a new location, then pick up the non-epic quests in the new locations and do them until they're also sending you to a new place. Supplement with the wiki as necessary. This will overlevel you, but LOTRO has always been more about the story and the journey than endgame anyway, so I don't know why you'd want to miss content (and Gondor, especially the whole sequence leading up to the Battle of the Pellennor Fields, is one of the best sets of zones in the entire game, way way better than Rohan was). And going into Mordor in particular you'll really want to be overleveled since it was balanced around people accumulating gear for months at the previous level cap, which you won't be doing.

You can buy an XP disabler on the LOTRO store for a pittance (the Stone of the Tortoise) if it really bothers you, but even then I'd plan to go into Mordor at level 108-110 at minimum.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 5, 2020

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Thanks! I got to explore Gondor a bit more last night and I’m enjoying these zones. Idk if I’m going to do the faction grind for each of them now but I’ll probably come back to do it for the Blemished Symbol of the Elder King. I got to Retaking Pelagrir but it bugged out, gotta try it again tonight...

Thanks all for the heads up on Mordor. I’m a LM so I’m fine getting a bit beefier here before trying to solo the harder stuff.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

jalapeno_dude posted:

You can buy an XP disabler on the LOTRO store for a pittance (the Stone of the Tortoise) if it really bothers you, but even then I'd plan to go into Mordor at level 108-110 at minimum.
I think mordor is no longer as hard as it was when it came out. I went in at 107 on a LM and it was fine.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Kaysette posted:

Thanks! I got to explore Gondor a bit more last night and I’m enjoying these zones. Idk if I’m going to do the faction grind for each of them now but I’ll probably come back to do it for the Blemished Symbol of the Elder King.

I recommend getting each of the three non-Pelargir Central Gondor factions up to the level that unlocks their epilogue quest--each of these is a nice capstone to the region stories. Looking at the Wiki it's been nerfed so you only have to get to Friend standing to unlock the epilogues, so it should be pretty easy to do that.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

jalapeno_dude posted:

I recommend getting each of the three non-Pelargir Central Gondor factions up to the level that unlocks their epilogue quest--each of these is a nice capstone to the region stories. Looking at the Wiki it's been nerfed so you only have to get to Friend standing to unlock the epilogues, so it should be pretty easy to do that.

Unlocking the deed for doing all three epilogues also gets you a free 1st age symbol.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
Decided to start playing this game today - I'm still poking at the various classes and figuring out what I enjoy. This game has a GREAT story so far, and I'm still in the first mini-zone.

I think I'm kind of in love with minstrel. I kill things by yelling at them.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Same, I was immediately drawn to the Minstrel and my big agony was whether to go as a Hobbit or as a Dwarf. I went Hobbit in the end, for the quintessential Tolkien experience. It's been really chill so far exploring the shire and helping lazy hobbits bake pie crusts.

I'm surprised how well this game as held up and after trying Classic WoW and Return of Reckoning at the back half of 2019, I can tell that LOTRO will hold my interest a bit more, I think in part due to the much stronger narrative elements to it.

The game seems really quite dead though, I've not really come across anyone on the EU-RP server yet. Except a small band of very high level players who were doing some sort of RP tour of the Shire, which was quite fun to watch.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

mitochondritom posted:

The game seems really quite dead though, I've not really come across anyone on the EU-RP server yet. Except a small band of very high level players who were doing some sort of RP tour of the Shire, which was quite fun to watch.

Several EU goons (myself included) are on US-Landroval where the goon kinship is. The ping has been nearly identical every time I've compared US and EU servers.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

mitochondritom posted:

Same, I was immediately drawn to the Minstrel and my big agony was whether to go as a Hobbit or as a Dwarf. I went Hobbit in the end, for the quintessential Tolkien experience. It's been really chill so far exploring the shire and helping lazy hobbits bake pie crusts.

I'm surprised how well this game as held up and after trying Classic WoW and Return of Reckoning at the back half of 2019, I can tell that LOTRO will hold my interest a bit more, I think in part due to the much stronger narrative elements to it.

I ended up playing on EU-PVE (Evernight) and there are always people running around and jabbering during EU primetime hours, which is nice.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I’m really enjoying the game. I felt I was leveling too fast so I bought an item from the store that turns off your XP and it’s been nice so far. I’m going back and doing deeds and quests I had to skip over because I was out leveling lots of areas. I’m at level 30 and joined a kinship since the Nazgun was dead. I only ever saw 1 person online at most so I was invited to another group and they’ve been nice so far. If you’re on Landroval send me your name and I’ll send some money and some level 10 leather or armor for you to get a head start.

I’m Maaike the hunter ingame so goons feel free to hit me up.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Goddamn that was a lot of quest packs the free content code gave. apparently I have just over 2.9k TP on my account too from whenever I last played so if I pick this up again I might spend it on more inventory or some storage since I'm a terrible pack rat.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 9, 2020

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm a VIP and having issue finding the 99point ones.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
How the gently caress do I tell what content is on my account so I'm not buying things twice? I know in decades past, there used to be an account management page on the website that showed all your unlocks, but damned if I can find it now.

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

Nipponophile posted:

How the gently caress do I tell what content is on my account so I'm not buying things twice? I know in decades past, there used to be an account management page on the website that showed all your unlocks, but damned if I can find it now.

As far as I know, unlocks are only able to be bought once, then they become invisible.

The page you are looking for is accessed by clicking "my account" from the launcher.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Nipponophile posted:

You can't buy quest packs or expansions twice. Content you already own just won't be in the store for you anymore. Reusable things will still be in there, but any permanent one-time upgrades just get removed.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

how are beornings? Seems like a cool unique kinda shapeshifting thing

edit: or guardians, mainly as soloing to endgame/groups

queeb fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 11, 2020

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

queeb posted:

Yellow line (yes, the healing spec) beorning are supposedly insane soloing machines because your self-heals can outheal almost anything the game throws at you and you don’t have a Power meter so you never run out and can just keep going forever.

Mine is only in the mid-20s so far but I’ve been steamrolling everything in the Breelands without ever going below 80%.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
Yellow Guardian is a ton of fun now. There was a buff to the class in the last year or so, I believe. Great single target damage/aoe damage and survivability. Good choice if you love charging into groups and blowing them up.

Early levels are a little out of whack compared to later ones though. Flash of Light is a damaging AOE centered on your marked target. Levels 1 - ~18 the damage almost one shots most mobs. It levels off later. So don't expect it to be quite as over powered throughout.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

i leveled up from playing doordash for pippin. this game owns.

i ended up getting that first age symbol from central gondor and it'd be sweet if one of you wouldn't mind making me a 1st age LI. i can pay for the emeralds.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

queeb posted:

Beornings are the best solo class IMO. Endgame they're in high demand as healers. DPS is ok, but not anyone's first pick. Bear tanks are good and smiled upon if you're skilled and geared, but other tanks can get away with more faux pas. There are just not a lot of beornings at endgame and they're known for their heals, so if you want to do anything else in a group you'll probably be met with some skepticism until you prove yourself.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Ossipago posted:

Beornings are the best solo class IMO. Endgame they're in high demand as healers. DPS is ok, but not anyone's first pick. Bear tanks are good and smiled upon if you're skilled and geared, but other tanks can get away with more faux pas. There are just not a lot of beornings at endgame and they're known for their heals, so if you want to do anything else in a group you'll probably be met with some skepticism until you prove yourself.

Beorning it is! I enjoy healing a ton so im OK with that. and soloing is dope.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

is yellow line the way to go for beorning soloing? lol the first damage trait in yellow is for a level 40 skill, not too useful at level 6

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

queeb posted:

is yellow line the way to go for beorning soloing? lol the first damage trait in yellow is for a level 40 skill, not too useful at level 6

As I said, I’m only mid-20s so I can’t tell you how it’s like at max level but right now I can handle groups of 6-8 equal-level mobs simultaneously with zero effort. The point isn’t to do mad DPS, just whittle then down while keeping yourself healed. Since you don’t have a power meter you have effectively endless power (and therefore endless heals) as long as you keep an eye on your cooldown timers.

If you want BIG NUMBERS and kill 1-2 mobs at a time super quickly I guess red line works better at the low levels but supposedly struggles to keep up as you hit mid- and high levels.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

queeb posted:

At level 6 you really don't need to worry about optimizations other than maybe having someone craft you some gear but even then you'll outgrow it in an hour or so (probably).

If the skills are buffing your healing then your DPS isn't going to make or break your soloing because if you can infinitely sustain against incoming damage then it's only a matter of time until your target dies since you won't.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I've been playing extremely casually for the past couple months and am now at 52 on my warden. About a month ago I reached a point in the epic quest where I realized I was not, in fact, about to start Moria but actually barely halfway done the first book. I was going through the stuff at a pretty steady pace until this amarthiel stuff started. Why is this so long and agonizingly dull? Was this originally stuff added post launch to lead into the first expansion or something? I was enjoying it until it became me having to go back and forth from Rivendell and revisiting the greatest hits of the first 50 levels.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 15, 2020

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Sankis posted:

IWas this originally stuff added post launch to lead into the first expansion or something?

Yes. Ignore the rest of it and go to Moria, the guy at the gate in will give you the first quest for Book 2, which is the first expansion. You’ll get a legendary weapon which will be far better than what you have and Moria is some of the best content in the game.

There really should be a sign at the entrance to Angmar that says “our bad, just ignore this”

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jun 15, 2020

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Lum_ posted:

Yes. Ignore the rest of it and go to Moria, the guy at the gate in will give you the first quest for Book 2, which is the first expansion. You’ll get a legendary weapon which will be far better than what you have and Moria is some of the best content in the game.

There really should be a sign at the entrance to Angmar that says “our bad, just ignore this”

I think the end of Volume I is actually quite good storywise, and it certainly pays off way way later (like, level 100+) to have done it, but you certainly won't lose anything if you head to Eregion then Moria and backfill the rest of the Volume 1 books in small doses over time as you feel like it. I knocked the last few books out after Lothlorien at 60, but you can postpone it until just before you start Volume 3 and not mess up any story continuity. Even after that it's not a huge deal but your connections to the NPCs in the Volume 3 epic will make less and less sense the longer you wait.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Sankis posted:

I've been playing extremely casually for the past couple months and am now at 52 on my warden. About a month ago I reached a point in the epic quest where I realized I was not, in fact, about to start Moria but actually barely halfway done the first book. I was going through the stuff at a pretty steady pace until this amarthiel stuff started. Why is this so long and agonizingly dull? Was this originally stuff added post launch to lead into the first expansion or something? I was enjoying it until it became me having to go back and forth from Rivendell and revisiting the greatest hits of the first 50 levels.

You were "done" with the first book after the fight you had with Mordirith, because that's where the original Shadows of Angmar ended. The rest is pre-expansion filler that really should have been put in its own book. All of it isn't bad (although gently caress doing it on a class without easy access to fast travel, lol), but it's a bit of a slog early on. Like jalapeno_dude said, just do it for completion and it'll make more sense later on.

What I did to make things easier was to beeline for the free legendary item in Moria (you need to do the first few quests of Book II), then do all of Eregion to gain a few easy levels before powering through the rest of the Angmar stuff. You also get a deed and a title for completing it, if that's your kind of thing.