Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I think the term "boondocks" is from Tagalog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Zombie' is another straight rip. English is a word kleptomaniac.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'Zombie' is another straight rip. English is a word kleptomaniac.

James D. Nicoll posted:

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Enough motherfuckers have that quote on speed-dial we can probably just start saying "English, alleyway" and further the process itself. Darmok, his arms high!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Helith posted:

I listen to the History of English podcast and nearly every episode has me amazed at where a word can come from.

I love that podcast. It's my go-to night listening. Interesting, but chiiiiiillllll. I wish it updated more often, I've listened through it twice now.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My favorite of these is the English word "boulevard," which somewhat obviously comes from the French word of the same name, but the French word comes from the Germanic "bulwark." Just take that word meaning a big, bulky, hastily produced rampart, dunk it in a vat of French and let it soak, and boosh, you've got a word for describing a wide, pleasant, landscaped street.

Zulily Zoetrope has a new favorite as of 13:20 on Jun 6, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Until” is “und” + “till”, all three words meaning the same thing.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
my favorite little etymology thing that still manages to gently caress people up somehow is that helicopter isn't heli + copter, it's helico + pter -- 'spiral wing'

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Red Bones posted:

Bungalow is another one, being just an adaption of Bengali, as in "a Bengali style house". The folk etymology of it being a shortening of "bung a low roof on the building" is a lot better though imo. Do Americans call them Bungalows? The only one-story small suburban houses I know of in the US are shotgun houses.

Yeah america has Bungalows.

wide front porch, front sloping roof. they were a very popular suburban model of house

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

flatluigi posted:

my favorite little etymology thing that still manages to gently caress people up somehow is that helicopter isn't heli + copter, it's helico + pter -- 'spiral wing'

Ah so that's (probably) why in French, "hélico" is shorthand for "hélicoptère"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kassad posted:

Ah so that's (probably) why in French, "hélico" is shorthand for "hélicoptère"

well, yes, but the french word came first (it was coined in french out of those greek components)

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

flatluigi posted:

Raptor, as in a bird of prey, comes from Ra + pter - 'Egyptian God wing' and was a reference to falcon headed Horus.

obviously fake

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

flatluigi posted:

Pterodactyl translates to “wing hand”

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Red Bones posted:

On a similar note, I'm also studying German at the moment and it's interesting how, in line with the scale of German immigration to the US, how many of the differences between US and UK English involve US English having more commonalities with German. E.g. use of words like "kaput", "gerkin" instead of "courgette", more widespread use of "auto-" when referring to cars (.e.g. "auto industry").

The usual American word for courgette is zuchinni. We use gherkin to refer to certain types of small, tart pickles.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Haggard is maybe derived "hag-rid" ridden by a night hag/mare/nightmare. The old conception of sleep paralysis that there's some being riding people as they sleep. Something that would leave you pretty Haggard.

The old Norse version is Tröllríða (ridden by a troll) "Tröll" in the older meaning of malignant supernatural beingor even wizard not in the post 18th century understanding of it being a specific race of large mountiain dwelling beings.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Modern History TV is a youtube channel with a charming British fellow doing quick 5-10 minute bits on how people used to live in the medieval period.

One of the episodes which youtube just radomly recommended to me was about hoods. Now that sounds like the least interesting thing in the world, but it covered the origins of the chaperon, which the more astute nerds will recognise as the incredibly stupid looking hat worn by Roche in the Witcher series.

The less astute nerds, like myself, will simply be astounded that it was a real loving hat people actually wore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XvEK6d9hEM

The hood looks silly but remember in the early '90s, kids were wearing tennis visors upside-down and sideways with their pants on backwards. There were some kids that would turn their baseball caps inside out and wear them on the side of their head. Never understood that one.

Fashion has always been ridiculous.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

FreudianSlippers posted:

Haggard is maybe derived "hag-rid" ridden by a night hag/mare/nightmare. The old conception of sleep paralysis that there's some being riding people as they sleep. Something that would leave you pretty Haggard.

The old Norse version is Tröllríða (ridden by a troll) "Tröll" in the older meaning of malignant supernatural beingor even wizard not in the post 18th century understanding of it being a specific race of large mountiain dwelling beings.

Yeah monsters being divided into super clear types is very much a modern thing, back in the day almost any kind of creature could end up being called a Troll or Witch or Dragon and so on

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

flatluigi posted:

It's more apparent in old recordings of people using the word and using a long E.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In Icelandic helicopter is þyrla which means to twirl or throw

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

mostlygray posted:

There were some kids that would turn their baseball caps inside out and wear them on the side of their head. Never understood that one.

How do you wear a hat on the side of your head? Do you staple it to your temple?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Gargamel Gibson posted:

How do you wear a hat on the side of your head? Do you staple it to your temple?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3hD9ZbguIg&t=16s

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

mostlygray posted:

The hood looks silly but remember in the early '90s, kids were wearing tennis visors upside-down and sideways with their pants on backwards. There were some kids that would turn their baseball caps inside out and wear them on the side of their head. Never understood that one.

Fashion has always been ridiculous.

look at this dude who dont know who Kriss Kross iz

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Do you think bobby pins were invented for lockpicking?

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Pterodactyl translates to “wing hand”

Finger-wings actually. Comes up a bunch in scientific names. Artiodactyla for even-toed ungulates for example.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Red Bones posted:

A fun game I like to play is looking up words on etymonline dot com to see which English words I can find with the most obscure roots outside of the standard French/Latin/Germanic. Fun ones I have found so far are trousers (Gaelic), haggard (unknown, pos. Finnish term for an old horse via Danish or Dutch), yoghurt (Turkish), kudos (Greek), and harridan (French, unknown origin, possibly just referred to one specific person that people really didn't like).

On a similar note, I'm also studying German at the moment and it's interesting how, in line with the scale of German immigration to the US, how many of the differences between US and UK English involve US English having more commonalities with German. E.g. use of words like "kaput", "gerkin" instead of "courgette", more widespread use of "auto-" when referring to cars (.e.g. "auto industry").

"Jerky" is a Quechua root. So is puma, quinoa, condor, and guano.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Barbecue” is Arawak via Spanish.

The country of Jamaica gets its name from Arawak. New York City’s Jamaica, meanwhile, is a corruption of an Algonquin word for beaver.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I’ve been reading a history of the adult film industry and from the 1930s...

“Swastika in the Hole . A raunchy all-American brunette seduces Hitler himself, albeit in the form of a short man wearing a saggy rubber mask. They have sex, and the Nazi leader is obviously impressed by his partner's pubic hair, shaven into the shape of a swastika. His performance, however, is clearly less than she expected from a member of the self-appointed master race, a criticism she spells out in such livid terms that the shamed and demoralized Hitler picks up a nearby revolver and (with remarkable historical precognition) shoots himself in the head.”

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nckdictator posted:

I’ve been reading a history of the adult film industry and from the 1930s...

“Swastika in the Hole . A raunchy all-American brunette seduces Hitler himself, albeit in the form of a short man wearing a saggy rubber mask. They have sex, and the Nazi leader is obviously impressed by his partner's pubic hair, shaven into the shape of a swastika. His performance, however, is clearly less than she expected from a member of the self-appointed master race, a criticism she spells out in such livid terms that the shamed and demoralized Hitler picks up a nearby revolver and (with remarkable historical precognition) shoots himself in the head.”

Holy poo poo.

What is the book that is from!

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Josef bugman posted:

Holy poo poo.

What is the book that is from!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_White_and_Blue

This.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

My favorite of these is the English word "boulevard," which somewhat obviously comes from the French word of the same name, but the French word comes from the Germanic "bulwark." Just take that word meaning a big, bulky, hastily produced rampart, dunk it in a vat of French and let it soak, and boosh, you've got a word for describing a wide, pleasant, landscaped street.

There's a lot of french words that are cognate to english words and come from germanic languages (“France” for example). French itself is, like english, a latin-german pidgin, it just kept more of the latin.

On the opposite end there’s also a lot of norman-era words that come from french that no one recognizes until pointed out, like guerre-werre-war

I actually think it's really common for anglos to overestimate how "mongrel" english is compared to any other language. It seems to me what's unique to english is how it's very prone to keeping words intact instead of anglicizing them.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 21:06 on Jun 9, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nckdictator posted:

the shamed and demoralized Hitler picks up a nearby revolver and (with remarkable historical precognition) shoots himself in the head.”

Precognition? Hitler used an autoloader.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Today I learned that the current jacobite heir to the british crown is... Franz Wittelsbach. Sorry Franz Bonaventura Adalbert Maria, Duke of Bavaria. He's not actually duke of anything except being rich but he gets to be called that. His family opposed the nazis though and he himself seems pretty decent for nobility.

But since we allow these former nobility to keep kicking around being enormously wealthy dilettantes for no reason, I wish they'd own it and give us drama. Francis I should openly proclaim himself the King of England and Scotland and pointedly snub the Windsors and the BRD government at social events. He should give speeches about how he totally hates brexit and bojo and CERTAIN kings would do something about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd say give them a reality TV show, but giving rich entitled assholes more public exposure seems to be ending badly.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The heir to House Habsburg is a race car driver, so at least he provides some entertainment value.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I actually think it's really common for anglos to overestimate how "mongrel" english is compared to any other language. It seems to me what's unique to english is how it's very prone to keeping words intact instead of anglicizing them.

Every language is mongrel. Norwegian for example has a lot of german words (isenkram for example is norwegian word for iron tools and comes from the german word eisenkram).And cities that had a lot german immigrant workers have a lot of german street names.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I actually think it's really common for anglos to overestimate how "mongrel" english is compared to any other language.

In my anecdotal experience many anglos love to fawn over points that they believe make English exceptional. And all of them only spoke English.

Something more on-topic: I just finished the Fall of Civilisations podcast series. I loved it so very much! Can anybody recommend something that is comparable?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Such Fun posted:

Something more on-topic: I just finished the Fall of Civilisations podcast series. I loved it so very much! Can anybody recommend something that is comparable?

CNN?

In more seriousness, Dan Carlin has some good episodes about this subject. I'm sure there are more good suggestions, but I'd love to hear them as well!

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Fall of Rome by Patrick Wyman is in the same vein for the Western Roman empire.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I haven't listened to Fall of Civilizations, but the History of Rome podcast (and the follow-on Revolutions podcasts) are fantastic. If a little in the weeds on Rome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

I didn’t mean podcasts specifically about the ruin of civilisations. Rather podcasts, or youtube-available documentaries or what have you, about ancient history, on the same level: accessible for the layman but also with a bit of depth.

I won’t pretend that having listened to just a dozen hours of naration about ten different cultures makes me know the truth about them, but it gave me an outline. You can listen to the entire series on their YouTube channel, it’s amazing in my opinion.