Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I knew some people in college who were “vegetarians” which basically meant “I eat only carbs”

But more so than the normal college diet of “I eat only carbs”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Any experience freezing greek yogurt? We worked halfway through a tub using it in naan and baking but the use by date is tomorrow. I understand the texture won't be the same but we use it mostly for baking.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It's fine in the fridge until it has mold, which probably won't happen until months after the use by date.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's fine in the fridge until it has mold, which probably won't happen until months after the use by date.

Can confirm

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, I buy my yogurt in 5-pound buckets at restaurant Depot. depending on how much yogurt I eat, one bucket takes me between 1 to 3 months to finish. As long as there's nothing growing on it, it's fine.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Confirming what all the posters above. The reason yogurt became popular in a pre-yoplait era is because it was a means to preserve dairy for long term use, even at room temperatures. You keep it cold, it lasts even longer. If you dip it out of the container with a clean spoon every time it’s got months of refrigerated shelf life.

Fermented foods are amazing like that.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The other day I found a container of greek yogurt in the back of the fridge that was four months past the "best by" date. It looked fine, smelled like yogurt, and tasted fine. It's still in the fridge.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I did not know that about yogurt — thanks for the knowledge

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
What should I do with a bunch of frozen scallops?

I've never cooked them before and my seafood cooking experience is pretty limited since not all of my family will eat it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Two best way to cook scallops: baked, or seared and then the pan deglazed with white wine.

Baked is hard to gently caress up, and you can bake it in individual ramekins/boats.
Here is a nice simple recipe that is similar to what I do:
https://www.skinnytaste.com/baked-scallops/

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hi, I’m making potato salad and the recipe I’m using calls for 6 Tbsp of dijon mustard, but my idiot dad lost the mustard I bought while putting away groceries. What can I sub in instead? Would regular yellow mustard plus something else work?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Dijon is just a stronger mustard so unless you have any other mustard kicking around just use the american, but it won't taste as good. You could add more mustard to compensate but it'll obviously make the salad yellower.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

I. M. Gei posted:

Hi, I’m making potato salad and the recipe I’m using calls for 6 Tbsp of dijon mustard, but my idiot dad lost the mustard I bought while putting away groceries. What can I sub in instead? Would regular yellow mustard plus something else work?

If you've got it, adding mustard powder alongside whatever mustard you have would probably help.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Two best way to cook scallops: baked, or seared and then the pan deglazed with white wine.

Baked is hard to gently caress up, and you can bake it in individual ramekins/boats.
Here is a nice simple recipe that is similar to what I do:
https://www.skinnytaste.com/baked-scallops/

Looks great thanks.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Slightly odd question, but has anyone ever tried to make crisps out of a vegetable purée?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Slightly odd question, but has anyone ever tried to make crisps out of a vegetable purée?

Mr. Pringle

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I want to get a couple proper mixing bowls since I've mostly been using salad bows and they're a bit on the small/shallow side.

What's the reccomended diameter for a good all-rounder? Handle/no handle? I'm probably getting two of them, do I get different sizes or just 2 identical ones?

Cheers.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
How does one calculate the nutrition of homemade bread? Let's say I make a loaf of bread with 500g of white flour with added yeast, water, and salt. I then eat 1/4 of that bread. I don't just calculate the calories and macros from 125g of white flour, do I? I assume that a certain amount of that energy gets destroyed and offed as gasses.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Edmond Dantes posted:

I want to get a couple proper mixing bowls since I've mostly been using salad bows and they're a bit on the small/shallow side.

What's the reccomended diameter for a good all-rounder? Handle/no handle? I'm probably getting two of them, do I get different sizes or just 2 identical ones?

Cheers.

I would get a set of nested bowls. I got given a set of four as a birthday present (I'm so cool) a few years ago, and they're great. They have colour-coded lids as well, so I use them for short-term storage in the fridge as well as for mixing...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

barkbell posted:

How does one calculate the nutrition of homemade bread? Let's say I make a loaf of bread with 500g of white flour with added yeast, water, and salt. I then eat 1/4 of that bread. I don't just calculate the calories and macros from 125g of white flour, do I? I assume that a certain amount of that energy gets destroyed and offed as gasses.
weirdly enough probably not.

The fermentation process breaks down complex starches and protein chains into sugar and free amino acids which are easier to digest. Losing a bit of carbon to c02 is likely negligible compared to that.

/e- if the above seems contentious after work I'll consult Bread Science to see if that's covered

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 9, 2020

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

barkbell posted:

The only way to be sure is to create an airtight seal with plastic wrap, then measure the volume increase due to gas by submerging it in the bath tub and measuring the displacement. You can then calculate the weight of the CO2 that was produced, making sure to account for temperature. Take that and reduce by the weight of the oxygen.

All in all, probably a small fraction of 1 calorie.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

barkbell posted:

The error bars due to poo poo like microbial metabolism and offgassing are tiny compared to the error bars built into the idea of a food calorie. Unless one of the steps in the preparation is something like vulcanising the bread in an autoclave or something then you're better off just summing up the nutrition information of the ingredients.

If you're serious about it you could buy a highschool chemistry lab-grade food calorimeter and make an empirical determination, but my guess is that your error bars would be bigger that way than just summing the ingredients.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
I recently ordered and just received an order of beef ribs. It came in one vacuum sealed package of three racks. Total weight 14 lbs. It was frozen solid when it arrived. Is there a danger to thawing in the fridge, chopping the racks into freezer bag size portions, and then re-freezing for use as needed? Any precautions I should be aware of? Thanks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Refreezing is going to mess with the texture. If the racks are separate you should be able to split them off without thawing it all (running cool water over it may help) and keep them frozen. More than that you won't be able to do without the meat getting a little bit weird. Freezing cooked ribs won't have that issue though.

In any case it won't hurt you, and tbh if you're cooking them to fall off the bone texture you may never notice.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there are bonesaws rated for cutting frozen beef, dunno if thats viable

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Maybe bring the frozen ribs to a butcher and ask them to bandsaw them apart?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there are bonesaws rated for cutting frozen beef, dunno if thats viable

Yeah if you know a butcher they may have the tools to cut it frozen.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
Thanks friends. I suppose I could ask the local butcher. I'm guessing the bandsaw recommendation means I can't do it with a serrated knife and determination. I figured it would have to be at least "not unsafe" to do because don't most meat departments in grocery stores receive meats that are pre-packaged, frozen and shipped to them? So the meat sits on the display until the consumer purchases it, and then possibly refreezes it themselves down the line? I'm not worried about texture, I would likely cook them low and slow in a stew or bbq style.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
After many futile, stinking attempts at making stock at home out of bones (many different recipes from trusted sources, on stovetop, stovetop/oven, and *sigh* instant pot), I have given up and now use Better than Bouillon for all applications.

Could Better than Bouillon be the reason why my tom kha gai tastes weird? I thought it was just chickeny flavor reduced into a concentrate, but is it seasoned or with vegetables added at all? Are there any solutions to this soup issue besides making my stovetop and entire kitchen reek of processed chicken? Why can everyone make stock but me?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

snailshell posted:

After many futile, stinking attempts at making stock at home out of bones (many different recipes from trusted sources, on stovetop, stovetop/oven, and *sigh* instant pot), I have given up and now use Better than Bouillon for all applications.

Could Better than Bouillon be the reason why my tom kha gai tastes weird? I thought it was just chickeny flavor reduced into a concentrate, but is it seasoned or with vegetables added at all? Are there any solutions to this soup issue besides making my stovetop and entire kitchen reek of processed chicken? Why can everyone make stock but me?

Go to an Asian grocery store and buy a pound of skin-on chicken wings and a pound of chicken feet. Do literally nothing else to them before dumping them in your instant pot and covering with filtered water. Manual mode on high pressure for 60 minutes, let the pressure release however you want, it doesn’t matter.

strain off the liquid from the bones and meat using a mesh strainer, into a plastic container large enough to hold all of it and also fit in your sink - I use a round cambro. Put the cambro of stock in the sink then fill the sink with cold water up to the same level as the stock in the container, and stir the water and stock around a bit. We’re trying to cool it quickly so it doesn’t spend too long in the danger zone. Come back in five minutes, drain the water from the sink and do it again, repeating until the stock is only a bit above room temperature. Ideally this takes you less than 20 minutes to go from hot in the instant pot to room temp in a cambro.

Now cover and refrigerate overnight. You don’t need to strain anything more out or remove a fat cap or any of that the next day, and if you have been, that might be why your stock sucks. The next day just pour a cup into a coffee mug, making sure to get some of the solidified fat cap in there, and microwave it until it’s hot. Salt to taste and give it a try, it should have a very clean and plain chicken-y flavor. If this comes out poorly then maybe stop using tap water from Flint to make stock, otherwise I have no idea what is wrong unless you’re adding too many aromatics and poo poo to your stock and it’s not combining well.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

I agree with all of that - you shouldn't need a recipe for stock, especially chicken - just stick the wings/left-over spines and bones in the instant pot, maybe with a halved, unpeeled onion or some spring onions if you like that extra bit of oniony flavour, and you'll get great stock super fast, as per above.

The stock itself is not supposed to taste like chicken soup or anything - it's a base. It'll be a bit bland and fatty and will have a great mouthfeel - perfect to build further flavour on!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

snailshell posted:

After many futile, stinking attempts at making stock

I know GWS hates them, but this is an area in which I feel the slow cooker excels: every time I roast a chicken, I crack the stripped carcass into chunks, chuck it into the slow cooker with enough water to cover it and leave it on low overnight. If I have them, I add some carrots, celery and onions, but if not, I don’t. And it always turns out great.

More often than not, I strain it into a pan and reduce all day as well, so I end up with this incredible gelatinous and thick stock that cools into a near solid, that I cut into cubes and freeze.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
I've historically used both leftover carcass cooked bones and raw bones, aromatics and no aromatics, with similar results. It almost makes me think the water is the issue since we have really hard water around here. It just smells gnarly, like an old sweaty chicken, like the mirrorverse of how I imagine chicken stock is supposed to smell.

I'll definitely try with filtered water. Thank you skeletons and lion statue :)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scientastic posted:

I cut into cubes and freeze.

:stare:

I always reduce down a batch of stock now and then and freeze it in ice cube trays so I can have a fortified stock addition to a dish here and there.

Why didn't I think to just cool, congeal and cut it instead. Much easier.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Not sure if this violates SA policies on trying to sell stuff outside SA-Mart; if it is, I'll happily eat a sixer and edit this post.

Lost my job in the restaurant biz back in March thanks to The Roni, and now I'm getting evicted bc I'm poor af. Is anyone here who loves cooking, or is keen on learning how , interested in a metric fuckton of back issues of Cooks Illustrated? My mom got me a subscription back in 2000 and renewed it until cancer 86'ed her in 2013. So I've got a fuckton of back issues that I just can't move if I'm gonna be living out of my car, and really don't need anymore.

I'm happy to give them away if you can cover shipping (which I can do legit in USPS media mail rate, since there's no ads). I just want them to go to a good home, not into a Goodwill dumpster.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Not sure if this violates SA policies on trying to sell stuff outside SA-Mart; if it is, I'll happily eat a sixer and edit this post.

Lost my job in the restaurant biz back in March thanks to The Roni, and now I'm getting evicted bc I'm poor af. Is anyone here who loves cooking, or is keen on learning how , interested in a metric fuckton of back issues of Cooks Illustrated? My mom got me a subscription back in 2000 and renewed it until cancer 86'ed her in 2013. So I've got a fuckton of back issues that I just can't move if I'm gonna be living out of my car, and really don't need anymore.

I'm happy to give them away if you can cover shipping (which I can do legit in USPS media mail rate, since there's no ads). I just want them to go to a good home, not into a Goodwill dumpster.

Aw poo poo, that sucks.
I can’t help you out with buying the mags off you as I’m over in Aus but head to the goon bucks thread in Cspam for some financial help to get you through this lovely time.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903318&perpage=40

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Helith posted:

Aw poo poo, that sucks.
I can’t help you out with buying the mags off you as I’m over in Aus but head to the goon bucks thread in Cspam for some financial help to get you through this lovely time.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903318&perpage=40

Thanks, yeah, I've already hit up the goonbucks thread. Good peeps over there!

I've also got a big collection of Fine Cooking, if glossy pictures are anyone's jam. As I said, not looking to make any money, but I want these to go somewhere other than a dumpster. All I'm asking is shipping + maybe a buck for the box/tape/Paypal fees. I know the quarantine/lack of restaurants situation has lots of goons trying to figure out how to cook good things, and this is my bizarre way of trying to pass it forward.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I'm trying to make air fried chicken. Recipe calls for the chicken to be marinated in buttermilk and hot sauce. Can I substitute unsweetened vanilla almond milk for the real thing?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I don't know that I'd try to sub the milk directly like that, you just want a flavorful marinade. It doesn't need to be milk-like. TBH I don't know how almond milk would behave but it could be really tasty, imparting a nutty crust. But that isn't the reason for the buttermilk, it would be a different taste entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I think an important part of the buttermilk marinade is the acidity that tenderizes the meat a little. You’re not going to get that effect with almond milk.