Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I don't like mission trees. Too much railroading. And too many permanent claims given out as candy. I suspect I am a minority in this as usual though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Hryme posted:

I don't like mission trees. Too much railroading. And too many permanent claims given out as candy. I suspect I am a minority in this as usual though.

Nah, I largely ignore them unless I complete one by accident.

The claims get absurd. Apparently the new patch makes it so if you form Germany you get claims on the low countries, Italy, Poland, and France.

:stonklol:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Once you’ve formed Germany you’re probably an unstoppable juggernaut so it’s not like giving you a bunch of claims would make it even easier.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The monopoly interactions for estates seem to give you 10 years worth of production income before factoring in production efficiency (there's a slight discrepancy but I'm not sure from what), so they seem very worth it in the early game.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

Apparently the plan is to turn out more big EUIV expansions, which kinda surprises me. Game is feeling due for a sequel, and I was pretty convinced that Emperor would be the last hurrah.

Is EU4 their biggest seller ever? Not sure an expansion is going to address the chronic annoyances we love to discuss in here, but maybe they'll have some cool ideas.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The papal bull that lets cardinals spread institutions is pretty bonkers. I was getting +5%/month after the bull was enacted. Combined with the pope's ability to appoint cardinals in exchange for a corruption hit, it seems pretty easy for the papacy to get new institutions ASAP.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Stellaris sold insanely well, I think it's between it and EU4.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Fintilgin posted:

Apparently the plan is to turn out more big EUIV expansions, which kinda surprises me. Game is feeling due for a sequel, and I was pretty convinced that Emperor would be the last hurrah.

gently caress, that sucks

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Fintilgin posted:

I thought Emperor would be it too, but honestly i would love a big xpack on north america and colonisation or something

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ethiser posted:

Once you’ve formed Germany you’re probably an unstoppable juggernaut so it’s not like giving you a bunch of claims would make it even easier.

I guess. I mean I don't really care, but it just feels silly. It's like if forming the Roman Empire gave claims on the entire world.

Okaaaaaaay.... but why?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Haven’t played it yet, does this patch improve performance at all or no?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

skasion posted:

Haven’t played it yet, does this patch improve performance at all or no?

:chanpop:

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Is anyone else getting odd audio distortions?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Hryme posted:

What do claims even do nowadays? CB and 10% reduction on coring cost? Anything else?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What would an EU5 do better besides theoretically performing better?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

God drat does the game ever love playing the Guns Drums and Steel pack songs. I cannot for the life of me understand why I thought buying these was a good idea.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Generally with new games you get new stuff that can't really be supported in the old engine setup. So redoing trade networks, adding a pop system, changing the ways PUs and vassals work, or getting the army supply mechanic into EU would likely require a sequel to be practical.

Then there's the stuff loads of us want but the devs very much do not but we will agitate for anyway: geography that meaningfully limits large army movements, rivers that matter, a real map projection, internal conflicts threatening big blobs, provinces that aren't all rounded off, blue Prussia, etc.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 9, 2020

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Making trade more dynamic would be the huge thing. Also pops I guess (technically isn't development just pops with no skin? Give each point of dev a culture/religion and you are set) .

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

adding a better trade system (less opaque, potentially flexible/controllable nodes), mainstreaming a million dlc-ish quirks, presenting a million tiny bits of information better, properly depicting hogwarts and the other great wizarding institutions as at least a province modifiers or preferably provinces of their own, better gameplay in the americas, and as you say better performance.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Trade, army supply, better colonization, pops, blue Prussia

These are all we need for EU5

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
I hadn't bought Dharma or the Iberian peninsula expansion until now that I bought Emperor, but are Restoration of Union CBs supposed to work this way nowadays:

Twice now I've simply had a pop-up window saying that a subject broke off a personal union and I've gotten the CB but there was no PU to begin with. Both times the other country has had no heir and lower prestige than mine and when they got a heir, I suppose that is when I got the CB. First time their ruler wasn't even of the same dynasty as mine.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I'm with Johan, keep prussia gray. Though making them a brown would be even better

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Make Prussia yellow and give Germany back it's toothpaste color.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Actually, actually, here's what I want:

In the next engine, colours should be modifiable on the fly, like how you can change your CoA in CK2. Both the players' and the AI's, though.

That way, you can choose your own nation's colour, and also, you can avoid annoying poo poo like two or three almost-identical AIs all bordering each other in a hideous mess.

And you can change your rivals to be poo poo-brown and piss-yellow.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Zeron posted:

Making trade more dynamic would be the huge thing. Also pops I guess (technically isn't development just pops with no skin? Give each point of dev a culture/religion and you are set) .

In Vicky 1 & 2 pops do all sorts of stuff, like immigrating between and within countries, having ideology and issues that affect voting, consuming goods on the world market, having a religion that literally has no effect in the game, etc. All of this goes to make Vicky 1 & 2 unplayable messes so I hope these kind of pops don't make it to other games, though I guess the Imperator implementation would be tolerable.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

All of this goes to make Vicky 1 & 2 unplayable messes

how-how dare you

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

All of this goes to make Vicky 1 & 2 unplayable messes

:wrong:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Those are the things that make vicky own. It's pretty much everything else that makes vicky an unplayable mess :v:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hachi machi Saluzzo

inf combat +10%
ae -15%

provincial trade +10%
goods produced +10%
morale +10%
movement speed +15%
trade steering +20%
missionary strength +1% and tolerance true faith +1
tax +10%

core creation cost -15% !!

can form sardinia-piedmont for some strong missions and then italy

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

im very very rusty and the ai is just punting me around

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

honestly if they just had a release that reorganized the UI established a new gameplay baseline that meant that I didn't have to worry about 16(!) expansions worth of optional content I would be pretty happy. I was a big EU4 fan up until about Rights of Man and the releases since then have just left me kinda lost and overwhelmed.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

AnoHito posted:

Those are the things that make vicky own. It's pretty much everything else that makes vicky an unplayable mess :v:

I'll give it credit for being pretty unique, and I have played both games quite a bit. But I really feel it suffered for a design focus on a complex population simulator, letting everything else follow from there. Even if you bother to understand what's going on with your POPs (Vicky 2 has decent tools for this) the details of your population don't really matter at all. Meanwhile, everything else about the industrial and political revolutions is boring and generic.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Really complex unit designer in eu5 where I can select the pommel style of my soldiers; nato counters

I would like it if they found some way to make combat ever so slightly more complex / interesting though. Yes, you can play hoi4 for that. It would be fun with knights and artillery too though :shrug:

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

yikes! posted:

What do claims even do nowadays? CB and 10% reduction on coring cost? Anything else?

Unless this has been changed, that's only for temporary claims. Permanent claims give a 25% coring cost reduction. Plus, with a lot of new national idea sets containing CCR, it can be pretty powerful.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Weird bug.... went to buy Emperor and the Steam store is claiming I don't own Cradle of Civilization and Mandate of Heaven. I definitely do and they show up in game fine. No harm I guess, but strange. :confused:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Make Prussia yellow and give Germany back it's toothpaste color.

Honestly if we can't have blue Prussia because :johan: I would take the Vicky yellow Prussia. The grey Prussia gets now sucks so bad.

But yeah the RGB country colors should just be moved into their own file, and excluded from the checksum, so that we can just set them to whatever and Paradox doesn't have to listen to us bitch anymore.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

very funny that you can change the name and the flag of a country for ironman but not the color

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I don't know what you guys are planning, but you better let me in on it before we pull this trigger.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Playing my first game as Savoy and wow they are fun!

It's really weird how the Pope immediately joins the Empire and then shadow kingdom happens and everyone italian but me (bc Austria is my big strong friend) and the Pope leaves, and then some of them join back up.

The Pope in particular seems like he should be really, really difficult to get in instead of him just doing it voluntarily.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

in eu5 i would like a camera with pitch control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So the subjugation CB you can get on Naples as the Pope is huge trap right? Because I've tried a couple times and the coalition that comes down on you if you actually subjugate Naples is pretty heinous.