Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Phanatic posted:

but what the hell is it?

The simplest explanation is obviously that protestors poured concrete molds into coffee cups, and let them set overnight so that they could hurl them at police

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I inspect a lot of oil well stuff and they always use coffee cups and poo poo to capture cement test batches.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

He posted a follow-up

https://twitter.com/venturecommunis/status/1270134904752234496

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
other responses to that tweet call it a "slump test" http://www.concrete.org.uk/fingertips-document.asp?id=559#:~:text=The%20slump%20test%20is%20a,%2D2%2C%20Testing%20fresh%20concrete.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
A slump test isn’t cured. You take a sample of concrete and pour it into a specified container, and then remove the container. Gravity takes over and the pile of concrete slumps, by an amount based on how wet the mix is.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Those are very clearly the top half of a coffee cup, not the little half-height ice cream cups that the Post thinks they are. If you were trying to disguise concrete as ice cream, why wouldn't you pour it into an ice cream cup, or use the much more logical bottom half of a coffee cup so the concrete doesn't fuse to whatever you are pouring it on?.

It's exactly the test that is being described in the reply tweets

Idiots

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
If it were icecream...it would be Rocky Road.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

tokomon posted:

Yeah, I should have linked what shag dancing is.
I hate it so, so much.

I understand if there is some sort of cultural cringe or something, but I looked it up on YouTube and these people seem to dance alright? I mean they seem to have some sort of rhythm going at least, and the music is cool
https://youtu.be/pBfoXk34oQ8

(Obviously ignore the intro advert)

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Helen Highwater posted:

Like the South African asbestos miners (some of whom were literal children) in the 1960s and 70s who were all dying of mesothelioma in the 1980s and 90s. The company just kept all of their compensation claims in an endless circle of appeals and countersuits in UK courts until they were all dead. Don't have to pay workers comp to dead guys. Especially if those dead guys were poor, black South Africans.

This, but WR Grace and poor Americans in Libby, Montana.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
*rolls down window*

"ah... good evening, what seems to be the problem officer?"

"is that coffee you're drinking there?"

"oh, yep. just coffee"

"mind if you take a sip for me right now?"

"oh... sure, no problem..."

*struggles to lift concrete-filled cup*

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mozi posted:

*rolls down window*

"oh, yep. just coffee"

"what's the trouble you're having?"

"i ran out of milk so i had to use heavy cream"

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Arrhythmia posted:

In this house we swear by Stonyfield.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Arrhythmia posted:

"Is that concrete in your coffee cup, sir?"

"It was ground this morning"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

as a former US based amusement park ride operator i had to undergo more rigorous training and drug testing than the cops getting overtime for jacking off in the parking lot.

edit- it was one of those teacup spinning ride for parents and young children. you haven't heard of the park, it was extremely small and regional and closed down nearly 15 years ago when the married couple who owned it sold it to a landfill developer and lost their money trying to setup a swinger's resort in one of those waterless islands off the coast of florida drug runners have tiger fights on.

That's probably true for big name parks but when I was teenager working at a smaller one training was basically "here's what the levers do, if you get caught with a rock jammed in the dead man's switch you'll get fired".

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I just go to civil rights protests for the ice cream.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I just go to civil rights protests for the ice cream.

A bloody sundae?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

CHOPPA CHOPPA CHOPPSLLPURGFFFGGGglubglubblub

https://i.imgur.com/5wYo8Mw.mp4

Pacra fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 9, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
choppers get thristy too

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
It's so sad when they beach themselves.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I now subscribe to the Aquatic Helicopter Theory

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Moo the cow posted:

"Is that concrete in your coffee cup, sir?"

"It was ground this morning"

heh

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Aquatic helicopter got me thinking of the G20 gyroplane concept. A 1930s French submarine-launched aircraft.

One of the gunners would stand on top of the bomb bay in a cupola located inside the rotor shaft.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Aquatic helicopter got me thinking of the G20 gyroplane concept. A 1930s French submarine-launched aircraft.

One of the gunners would stand on top of the bomb bay in a cupola located inside the rotor shaft.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I'm struggling to think of a place I'd rather be less than in the middle of a spinning rotor shaft while holding a machine gun and flying above the ocean.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PinheadSlim posted:

I'm struggling to think of a place I'd rather be less than in the middle of a spinning rotor shaft while holding a machine gun and flying above the ocean.

how about in the middle of a spinning rotor shaft while holding a machine gun and flying above the ocean while standing on bombs

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Sagebrush posted:

how about in the middle of a spinning rotor shaft while holding a machine gun and flying above the ocean while standing on bombs

Also there's apparently someone underneath you trying to fire a machine gun between the bombs like a high stakes carnival game

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Cartoon Man posted:

Tollbooth operators hate this one trick:

https://i.imgur.com/7flKikS.mp4

New Ghost Truckfuckler movie looking good.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

PinheadSlim posted:

what about at the end of the spinning rotor blade while holding a machine gun and flying above the ocean

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

I love the wacky interwar poo poo before everyone settled on the same, boring, efficient path.

Submarine-launched gyrocopters! Tanks with a dozen turrets! Dirigible aircraft carriers!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Sagebrush posted:

Metal As gently caress

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Mozi posted:

*rolls down window*

"oh, yep. just coffee"

"Sir, why do you have 800 coffee cups stacked on your driveway?"

"Listen pal, if you have a better idea for how to anchor my motorcycle I'm all fuckin ears over here"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GotLag posted:

Submarine-launched gyrocopters! Tanks with a dozen turrets! Dirigible aircraft carriers!

same thing happened with firearms. i cant defend my family without an organ gun

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

GotLag posted:

I love the wacky interwar poo poo before everyone settled on the same, boring, efficient path.

Check out some of the insane designs on Luft46.com. Powdered coal ramjet fighter? Sure, why not?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

The White Dragon posted:

Early automatic handguns can be pretty good, like that one that fits two magazines (you slide the second mag forward when you drop the main one):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTJKJbPT7cI

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Super Soaker Party! posted:

"Sir, why do you have 800 coffee cups stacked on your driveway?"

"Listen pal, if you have a better idea for how to anchor my motorcycle I'm all fuckin ears over here"

:coffeepal:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

PhotoKirk posted:

Check out some of the insane designs on Luft46.com. Powdered coal ramjet fighter? Sure, why not?

The Smithsonian has the original model for that Lippisch DM1 ramjet, and a good 4 part story about it.
https://airandspace.si.edu/stories/editorial/lippisch-dm-1-reconsidered-part-1

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 10, 2020

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

The White Dragon posted:

Might I sugest agin, a skul-gun for your head.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/aJl4fzA.gifv
Who controls the British Crown?
Who keeps the metric system down?

I've actually split a rock like this! It's called wedge and feathers - drill a hole in your rock, insert your feathers, stick the wedge in between the feathers and get a-smacking. Rock drilling is fun and fairly easy (especially so if you have an actual powered drill), the actual smacking of the wedges is a loving work out. You have to read the rock right to get it split easily (and not flake into a million pieces which bad if you're trying to get a nice clean split).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/gZFYubT.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GotLag posted:

Early automatic handguns can be pretty good, like that one that fits two magazines (you slide the second mag forward when you drop the main one):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTJKJbPT7cI

Who needs that when you can have a chain-driven magazine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO3ZAuiq35k