Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The Perfect Element posted:

I've read through the op's post a few times and can't really get a handle on what it is they need or want.

If you wanna get someone in hot water, surely just put together a dossier of all the lovely things they've done online, send it to their employer and say that if action isn't taken against them then it's gonna go all over twitter and they'll be @tted in every single tweet.

I think they're concerned about their own safety, and so want a third party to do it for them? If that's the case it's not completely unreasonable TBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Perfect Element posted:

I've read through the op's post a few times and can't really get a handle on what it is they need or want.

If you wanna get someone in hot water, surely just put together a dossier of all the lovely things they've done online, send it to their employer and say that if action isn't taken against them then it's gonna go all over twitter and they'll be @tted in every single tweet.

I think the question is "I want to encourage my friend to expose their fash coworker but my friend is worried about the backlash if the company finds out they are a whislteblower, so i would like an authoritative sounding source for how to do that anonymously that I can send my friend"

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

goddamnedtwisto posted:

"become"? The City has been this since at least the 16th century.

yeah ofc. it's important to use this moment to broaden the conversation to uk economics and our contemporary role as an imperial power. i think generally the mainstream british left is quite bad at talking about our foreign policy, but we still very much profit from modern slavery, we just have a few more middlemen and a bit more plausible deniability.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

I think the question is "I want to encourage my friend to expose their fash coworker but my friend is worried about the backlash if the company finds out they are a whislteblower, so i would like an authoritative sounding source for how to do that anonymously that I can send my friend"

Why not take screenshots of whatever, copy and paste images into a file and make sure no meta data is saved with the images OR the word or whatever document (or even just print it out) and wear gloves to hold any papers, envelope, stamp, and use water to moisten the stamp not lick (so no dna or finger print evidence)* and post from a remote postbox to HR or CEO marked 'private & confidential'.

*Jae spends too much time watching CSI.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Why not take screenshots of whatever, copy and paste images into a file and make sure no meta data is saved with the images OR the word or whatever document (or even just print it out) and wear gloves to hold any papers, envelope, stamp, and use water to moisten the stamp not lick (so no dna or finger print evidence)* and post from a remote postbox to HR or CEO marked 'private & confidential'.

I think what you're describing there is blackmail.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

gh0stpinballa posted:

yeah ofc. it's important to use this moment to broaden the conversation to uk economics and our contemporary role as an imperial power. i think generally the mainstream british left is quite bad at talking about our foreign policy, but we still very much profit from modern slavery, we just have a few more middlemen and a bit more plausible deniability.

Fair point. I suppose it gets subsumed into the general anticapitalist stance, but we definitely need to be a lot better about highlighting the way in which both the City and the UK government helps the literal worst people on Earth wash the blood off their money. This is where liberals could actually prove their alleged worth because it should be right in their wheelhouse, but HSBC put a rainbow in their Twitter handle and had an advert with Richard Ayoade that made gammons mad and so that's them safe.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Unless their employer is MI5 that's about ten degrees of overkill. Also almost all modern printers add watermarks that make them traceable.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I think what you're describing there is blackmail.

I don't think so - he's not demanding any money or favours, just letting the company know what the other fellow has been doing which is what OP wanted to do or have I misunderstood?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

CSI is bollocks for quite a number of reasons. Particularly when it comes to forensics.

If your friend is worried, tell him to get a cheap phone with a camera. Ideally with no way of tracing it to him. (Pay cash, don’t get a SIM card on it etc...) Use this new phone to take photos of whatever images he wants to send on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't think so - he's not demanding any money or favours, just letting the company know what the other fellow has been doing which is what OP wanted to do or have I misunderstood?

I was more meaning that you just described posting incriminating photographs anonymously to a company without specifying any accompanying information, which might be interpreted differently by the recipient :v:

Like that's the first stage of blackmailing somebody, absent possibly including a note saying "WE KNOW" or something :v:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Doing the rounds on one of our local FB groups (our town has regrettable right wing tendencies) obviously being interpreted as meaning the protests etc aren't 'real'.

https://www.demandprotest.com/

quote:

WE ASSEMBLE MOVEMENTS
From grassroots organizations to advocacy groups, we seed the narratives and gather the audience you desire. When your strategy demands paid protest, we organize and bring it to life

We are strategists mobilizing millennials across the globe with seeded audiences and desirable messages. With absolute discretion a top priority, our operatives create convincing scenes that become the building blocks of massive movements. When you need the appearance of outrage, we are able to deliver it at scale while keeping your reputation intact.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 9, 2020

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Unless their employer is MI5 that's about ten degrees of overkill. Also almost all modern printers add watermarks that make them traceable.

I know our printers keep copies of the image on the machine's internal HDD (it's partitioned, one half used for the machine's OS, the other used for image processing), and as more stuff gets printed, the older files get overwritten. There's a feature which can be enabled which overwrites the old images, but afaik, I've never seen it enabled on a government machine I've had access to. I've also never been able to take a government printer's old HDD off site either though

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

What if you photocopy the printed stuff on your domestic "3 in 1" printer/copier/scanner?

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Fair point. I suppose it gets subsumed into the general anticapitalist stance, but we definitely need to be a lot better about highlighting the way in which both the City and the UK government helps the literal worst people on Earth wash the blood off their money. This is where liberals could actually prove their alleged worth because it should be right in their wheelhouse, but HSBC put a rainbow in their Twitter handle and had an advert with Richard Ayoade that made gammons mad and so that's them safe.

this is it. think how hard it is to get people to see why the colston statue had to fall. now try explaining that abolition didn't really happen, we just keep the slaves out of public view and hide the paper trail connecting us to the exploitation of the global south. then explaining the complex interplay of the legal and illegal economies.

hopefully the longer this convo goes on the better the chances of that kind of reckoning i guess.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the problem with the rich people crimes stuff is that people reasonably go "well I didn't ask for that to happen and I don't see how I benefit from it either" so they kinda check out of it. Same with all foreign policy stuff really. It's all people in high places doing stuff autonomously without any input from normal people like us, so it's hard to get people bothered about other than the kind of people who are already on the "eat the rich" bandwagon anyway and so don't need much more provokation.

Hard to get people motivated about ending crimes they don't feel complicit in, probably never even knew were happening, and wouldn't improve their lives if they were stopped.

More chance, I think, of trying to sell people on the material benefits to them of guillotining all the bastards at the top and coincidentally it also would be really good for their direct victims too.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Gossip time, but Natalie Rowe is making noises about revealing who "Mr Twist" from her autobiography is:

https://twitter.com/RealNatalieRowe/status/1270402225156866061

https://twitter.com/RealNatalieRowe/status/1270421736027295751

Note that she's done this before, teasing that she'll reveal who he is, but this time she's offered some rather more specific hints (in particular that he's knighted and a media owner rather than just a media figure) than last time that also exclude a couple of the most-guessed suspects from previous teases (including mine), so it's possible that she might be serious this time.

This woman was on big brother... and she said some things

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
they really want to kill kids

https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1270459313304342535?s=20

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Ms Adequate posted:

It can actually be easier to start off flaccid if you're pushing things any real distance up there, but once you're used to it you're good either way. :eng101:

However, never insert things that are not both sterilizable and sterile. Unless you want to go to hospital with septicemia two times. :laugh:

I recommend very deep sounding - my set is 30cm - it lets you directly stimulate the prostate (As opposed to anal, where you're still having to work through the colon wall), and it's the wildest physical pleasure I have yet experienced.

e; Now this is sniping! It takes a maximum of 54 seconds to achieve orgasm when you have a sound that deep in you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Helpful of them to include an image of other things that are a major risk to kids.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What if you photocopy the printed stuff on your domestic "3 in 1" printer/copier/scanner?

Very cheap inkjets and B&W laser printers *probably* don't do it (AIUI it generally only appears as a feature on printers good enough to produce official documents/cheques/bank notes good enough to fool a cursory inspection - our resident printer-fondler might be able to expand), but as we're playing :tinfoil: they're also of variable enough quality that it'd certainly be possible to match up flaws in the printing to your particular device.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I think spangly's friend is less worried about taking a screenshot with a MY PROFILE: JOEY JOHNSON tab open and more about being one of the few people able to see this guy's stuff (especially the private extra bad posts) and maybe one of the most likely to be suspected. So having some org - especially a really official businesslike one - doing all the paperwork at least takes some of the pressure off, and they become the thing that the guy really needs to worry about

I don't have any suggestions, but are any of the bigger anti-racist organisations likely to chase this kind of thing up? I mean the kind of stuff like tell mama where they actively want people to report things, and anonymity is important because it often involves the whistleblower directly

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/isamyelyah/status/1270394196885725186?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is why you want an HP LaserJet 4, absolute workhorses, there's still a bunch of spare parts floating around, and they predate/aren't capable of all that nonsense.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Then it adds the watermark from that instead.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Also twitter is bad but when experts talk about interesting subjects you can learn a lot of niche stuff!

https://mobile.twitter.com/oldenoughtosay/status/1270376631274790915

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

I think spangly's friend is less worried about taking a screenshot with a MY PROFILE: JOEY JOHNSON tab open and more about being one of the few people able to see this guy's stuff (especially the private extra bad posts) and maybe one of the most likely to be suspected. So having some org - especially a really official businesslike one - doing all the paperwork at least takes some of the pressure off, and they become the thing that the guy really needs to worry about

I don't have any suggestions, but are any of the bigger anti-racist organisations likely to chase this kind of thing up? I mean the kind of stuff like tell mama where they actively want people to report things, and anonymity is important because it often involves the whistleblower directly
Yeah I think what they're looking for is a "what is the SPLC for the UK?" type thing. There's a bunch of direct action antiracist groups but who are the legal type or the type who will lean on the "this is really bad publicity for you" angle?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao at all of this

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1270464383165087745?s=20

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

OwlFancier posted:

it's this

I know I can send an email containing screenshots of screenshots that don't have obvious potentially identifying poo poo (private posts on the guy's FB, group membership, and so on), I've already walked them through that. I spoke to some different friends and one guy has volunteered, already has the screenshots (suitably selected), and is all good to send them with links and condemnation I wrote, so no possible written giveaways. I think what's being left unsaid is whether there's friendly guides with a little more authority than "this dude your friend knows", so I started from antifash gordon and had a skim around from there. Most of the stuff I found is almost entirely OSINT poo poo, which is pointless when the posts are just a stream of hatespeech in his name, with his employer listed on his profile, dozens of photos, and so on.

It's not a job that's going to slap people about for liking tommy robinson shares, the group they're in that kicked all this off has some fairly regular apartheid apologia from old saffas. It's an egregious pattern of racial bullying that the lib dem mod doesn't want to touch, by someone with a history of bullying in person.

I'm sorry for the lovely writing, I'm not used to being coy, I like angry and targeted rhetoric. I passed a better written draft post over and was told that I made the industry obvious to anyone who worked in it. I think I was careful enough but it's not my job and I'm not the one sticking my neck out, and it took me days to get something they were fine with.

e; fucks sake

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 9, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
yeah if most employers get an email saying "btw one of your employees is fash" their first instinct isn't going to be "hmm let's see if we can trace who sent this"

screenshots and a throwaway email address are all you need

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

LOL at the changing architecture remark. Holding a referendum to decide whether to put up a bit of cornice.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

this is grim as gently caress

https://twitter.com/Wretch32/status/1270430645584572417?s=20

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

Also twitter is bad but when experts talk about interesting subjects you can learn a lot of niche stuff!

https://mobile.twitter.com/oldenoughtosay/status/1270376631274790915

Love it!

It's like when during US Prohibition vineyards started selling grape juice, with labels carrying dire and detailed warnings about how if you kept the bottle in these conditions for this amount of time and added this amount of yeast to it (presumably in a freak accident when you're baking, you trip and a bottle of grape juice is open on the counter...) it would become wine which was very naughty and illegal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah so, "I want to help my friend see that this is something they can do safely and that other people have done before, and the best way they will feel safe is if they can read a serious organization's guidance and commentary on the process."

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah so, "I want to help my friend see that this is something they can do safely and that other people have done before, and the best way they will feel safe is if they can read a serious organization's guidance and commentary on the process."

how are you so much better at condensing information than me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Probably because it's literally how I think. I talk to myself repeatedly until I can fit an idea in a sentence and then I say the sentence in different formulations until it sounds about right, also why I edit a lot. If I'm trying to understand something I literally talk to the wall as if I was explaining the concept to it, if what I end up saying still makes sense I think I've sort of got the idea. Do that for, like, 15 years straight and you get sort of good at it.

Which is also why I start off arguments by trying to do that with the other person's position. As a way of understanding ideas I like it and recommend it, especially if you have difficulty with other methods, but you have to remember to only do it when you're on your own otherwise you get very weird looks if you pace around mumbling the same thing to yourself over and over again. Also if you're talking animatedly with thin air :v:

There's probably some sort of thinking/learning style theory behind it but conversation/verbalizing ideas is just by far the nicest way to think for me.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 9, 2020

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Very cheap inkjets and B&W laser printers *probably* don't do it (AIUI it generally only appears as a feature on printers good enough to produce official documents/cheques/bank notes good enough to fool a cursory inspection - our resident printer-fondler might be able to expand), but as we're playing :tinfoil: they're also of variable enough quality that it'd certainly be possible to match up flaws in the printing to your particular device.

A home scanner probably doesn't have the resolution to pick up a watermark, and even an office scanner at low resolution would lose some of the detail, and more if the document was printed in a low quality setting. And if you're going to go around an office looking for any image defects on output, you'd probably be looking in the job history to find out who'd used it and when

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Philip looks like he's about to inform us that he's afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bessantj posted:

Philip looks like he's about to inform us that he's afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational.

Since sometime late last year he looks like he's just been constantly haemorraghing into his head.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

I mean they do, but in this case they're much more using the kids as a vector to kill poor adults.

BalloonFish posted:

Love it!

It's like when during US Prohibition vineyards started selling grape juice, with labels carrying dire and detailed warnings about how if you kept the bottle in these conditions for this amount of time and added this amount of yeast to it (presumably in a freak accident when you're baking, you trip and a bottle of grape juice is open on the counter...) it would become wine which was very naughty and illegal.

There have been similar 'it would be a great shame if' posts doing the rounds about how to defend yourself from attack by rioting police, including but not limited to a good particles-and-fumes-rated respirator, enclosed scuba or science lab goggles (not swimming ones, impact can be very bad with them), a hard hat, heat and cut resistant gloves, etc etc etc.

All of which can be conveniently ordered for sterile collection from your local screwfix if you feel the need to do some important.

Gardening.

(also about how to deal with active tear gas canisters, in short, pop a traffic cone over it, pour water down it until it goes out)

I adore them.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 9, 2020

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

And this is the entire reason why labour is a pile of poo poo, and the voting system in this country is a pile of poo poo. Best we can do is vote green before starmer decides he's going to run with "sell your parents house to the government while they're still living in it to get onto the housing ladder yourself!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dude, please - they're not all necrophiles.

Peter Shilton has to nobody's surprise exposed himself as an arsehole, telling people that the Tories have a huge majority and if you don't like it you should get out of the country instead of pulling down statues. This has caused Ray Clemence to start trending on Twitter, not because he had anything to do with it but from all the people saying he was a better keeper than Shilton.