Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Dell_Zincht posted:

No idea about the record sleeve but this sounds very much like Pablo Gargano - Everyone's Future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDUQaE-nUAM

You bloody genius. You were dead on about the art, which I recognized immediately, but not the track. However I was able to take that info to Discogs.com (invaluable for some of these visual memories) and found what I am tentatively going to say is it, "The Ultimate Frontier" from his Girotondo album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_Bn0nqVdY8

This is actually a lot harder/techier than I remember. Bizarrely the art I remember isn't from the Girotondo album but instead the "EVE (x)" releases, e.g. EVE 23, that kind of thing. I believe the B-Side is Cockfosters from EVE 23, which has the syncopated female vocal I was misremembering. Or possibly a trancier remix of it? Because I remember that part being a really effective trance breakdown whereas on this cut it's closer to hard house and barely used.

EDIT-Holy crap of course I know Pablo he did Senza Volto, can't believe I've been missing it this long.

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

You bloody genius. You were dead on about the art, which I recognized immediately, but not the track. However I was able to take that info to Discogs.com (invaluable for some of these visual memories) and found what I am tentatively going to say is it, "The Ultimate Frontier" from his Girotondo album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_Bn0nqVdY8

This is actually a lot harder/techier than I remember. Bizarrely the art I remember isn't from the Girotondo album but instead the "EVE (x)" releases, e.g. EVE 23, that kind of thing. I believe the B-Side is Cockfosters from EVE 23, which has the syncopated female vocal I was misremembering. Or possibly a trancier remix of it? Because I remember that part being a really effective trance breakdown whereas on this cut it's closer to hard house and barely used.

EDIT-Holy crap of course I know Pablo he did Senza Volto, can't believe I've been missing it this long.

Glad I could help you find it, Everyone's Future is an absolute banger that I used to spin a lot back in the day, Pablo Gargano has a few tracks where he samples Akira as well.

I'm trying to think of what your first track could be but it's a bit vague lol

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Back in probably ‘96 or ‘97 I was reading a gaming magazine, which I’m fairly certain was an issue of Next Generation there was an article and also an on disc video about a very early in development game that I want to say was called Virus where you had to fight a computer virus in a virtual world, but the game scanned your computer and the world you fought in was based on whatever hardware you had in your system. I never heard anything else about it and I’ve never dig up anything else.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Julius CSAR posted:

Back in probably ‘96 or ‘97 I was reading a gaming magazine, which I’m fairly certain was an issue of Next Generation there was an article and also an on disc video about a very early in development game that I want to say was called Virus where you had to fight a computer virus in a virtual world, but the game scanned your computer and the world you fought in was based on whatever hardware you had in your system. I never heard anything else about it and I’ve never dig up anything else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virus:_The_Game

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Goddamnit it. It was that loving easy :(

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I'm looking for a series of short documentary style stories, mostly shot on black and white. Original language is French, but the versions on Youtube were dubbed over in English. The stories were mostly paranormal in nature, some were simple crime stories, one of the later ones (in color) was a scifi\body horror story about the survivors of Soviet cybernetics experiments. Other memorable episodes were one about a mysterious witch beneath a sheet, and another was about two families that lived next door to one another and its title was something along the lines of "The BLANK watch the BLANK", with each blank being the surname of one of the family. Any ideas would be great.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Julius CSAR posted:

Goddamnit it. It was that loving easy :(

If it's any consolation, it's a terrible game!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Milo and POTUS posted:

An animated/live action movie (tv show?) where some guy has a magic artist's palette.

Pappy Land?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

An animated/live action movie (tv show?) where some guy has a magic artist's palette.

Penny Crayon?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_Crayon

Another one could be the character Smart Arty from UK Kids show Zzzap! Who used to draw things which then became "real"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoJ91XZLwe4

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Maybe it wasn't a magic palette. Maybe it was just a palette.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Milo and POTUS posted:

Maybe it wasn't a magic palette. Maybe it was just a palette.

The Elm-Chanted Forest maybe?

https://youtu.be/QFIX3ED3peo

The whole thing’s up on YouTube. Brace yourself for that scene with the dancing mushrooms... :allbuttons:

E: I’m still looking for these from way way back in January.

Rahonavis posted:

I’m usually the one who figures out other people’s white whales but I have a few of my own.

1) A book, almost certainly a Dell style chapter book from the 80’s, about a girl who’s family was very eccentric and she was the only one with any kind of self-awareness about it. She naturally angsts about this a bit but two specific things I remember are:
* - The family meets a runaway and convinces her to go home.
* - The main character encounters a skunk. Since she’s by herself and doesn’t know what else to do, she sits very still and smiles at the skunk so it isn’t frightened and won’t spray her. After a little while she reflects on how mortifying it would be if anyone saw her like this, and didn’t see the skunk...

2) This one is a song that I heard once ever on Nick Rocks (early 80’s music compilation show on Nickelodeon) and appears to either be lost forever or impossible to find. It sounded a little bit similar to “Right on Track” but the lyrics I can remember were, “I’ll be your flying cowboy / I’ll carry you away!” So far I’ve had no luck at all finding it because it turns out there are a lot of country songs about flying cowboys and my lost song is definitely none of them.

3) I could probably fill the rest of this post with Weird poo poo From The EARLY Early Days Of Nickelodeon, but I’ll end with this one for now. It was an animated short that was maybe ten minutes long about two kids who want to take their dog along on a school trip. Somehow their dog turns into a human (I think they made a wish?) and can go along - except he still acts like a dog and hilarity ensues until he changes back. The thing is, this short had a long opening credits sequence, in another language, that suggested it might be one episode of a whole series?

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 9, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Holy poo poo that's it. For some reason I thought it was both live action and animated.

e: also, thats an actual yikes on the mushrooms lol. I had it in another tab so I was hoping it was just a hip hop track but oh lord it wasnt

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 9, 2020

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Rahonavis posted:

1) A book, almost certainly a Dell style chapter book from the 80’s, about a girl who’s family was very eccentric and she was the only one with any kind of self-awareness about it. She naturally angsts about this a bit but two specific things I remember are:
* - The family meets a runaway and convinces her to go home.
* - The main character encounters a skunk. Since she’s by herself and doesn’t know what else to do, she sits very still and smiles at the skunk so it isn’t frightened and won’t spray her. After a little while she reflects on how mortifying it would be if anyone saw her like this, and didn’t see the skunk...

I think this is Me and the Weirdos by Jane Sutton.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

Milo and POTUS posted:

Holy poo poo that's it. For some reason I thought it was both live action and animated.

e: also, thats an actual yikes on the mushrooms lol. I had it in another tab so I was hoping it was just a hip hop track but oh lord it wasnt

curiosity got the better of me and i had to look up the mushroom scene, good lord... that's a caricature out of the '50s, not 1986 :gonk:

Trichord
Jul 20, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

I figured these would be impossible, but I've seen some crazy things answered in this thread so I figured I'd give it a try. I used to DJ in the 2000-2003 using analogue records and so on before the whole digital thing took off. There are two records/tracks that I used to spin quite regularly that I can't for the life of me find on youtube/remember. These may or may not be mainstream, I wasn't really plugged into the charts scene at the time, mostly picking records because I liked the art or other reasons.

The first one:
Progressive trance with the classic build/break pattern, almost cheesily so. What sticks out is a voice sample repeated somewhat often, a sonorous male voice saying "COMM ONE" (Calm One?) that gets echoed/stepped on over and over. There was a minimalist break of fuzzed piano in the quiet part DUN DUN... DUN DUN... DUN DUN DUN (phat bwaaaaaaa noise) COMM ONE, comparable to Tiesto Flight 643 synth but more isolated and fuzzy. Had a plain black sleeve so I've got nothing on that front.

The song that popped into my head when I thought of the "come on" vocal was Commander Tom - Are Am Eye?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh6wrLwRUt8

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

weed cat posted:

curiosity got the better of me and i had to look up the mushroom scene, good lord... that's a caricature out of the '50s, not 1986 :gonk:

I made :stonk: face for real

e. Aaaha it was first released in Yugoslavia

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Happiness

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

More like oldjoyless

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Wasn't there a recent thread about one of those workplace cults like agile?

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Action Jacktion posted:

I think this is Me and the Weirdos by Jane Sutton.

I think that’s it! Thank you!

manofsloth
Sep 2, 2011
College Slice

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

A story about Picasso. Basically he never carried money or a wallet. Instead he would just write down his name or scribble something on a piece of paper to pay for a packet of cigarettes or a bottle of milk or whatever because he was loving Picasso. I could never find anything on the internet to say this was true.

Mainly for Phil Hartman, giving it 100% as always:
https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/portrait-of-the-artist-pablo-picasso/2868073

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

A story about Picasso. Basically he never carried money or a wallet. Instead he would just write down his name or scribble something on a piece of paper to pay for a packet of cigarettes or a bottle of milk or whatever because he was loving Picasso. I could never find anything on the internet to say this was true.

I feel like I read this on cracked or something, that a Picasso autograph isn't worth nearly as much as you'd think because he saturated the market with them while he was alive. Also your username lmao what

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

mysterious frankie posted:

I'm looking for a series of short documentary style stories, mostly shot on black and white. Original language is French, but the versions on Youtube were dubbed over in English. The stories were mostly paranormal in nature, some were simple crime stories, one of the later ones (in color) was a scifi\body horror story about the survivors of Soviet cybernetics experiments. Other memorable episodes were one about a mysterious witch beneath a sheet, and another was about two families that lived next door to one another and its title was something along the lines of "The BLANK watch the BLANK", with each blank being the surname of one of the family. Any ideas would be great.

that sounds like The Forbidden Files

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0258528/

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

the kid in that sketch is Jonathan Larroquette of Uhh Yeah Dude

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

frankee posted:

that sounds like The Forbidden Files

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0258528/

That's it! That was driving me frickin nuts. Thank you.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage
Hey remember that TV series from 1983 where Michael York and Gene Anthony Ray played Robinson Crusoe and Man Friday in a pretty awesome adaptation of Dafoe's novel?

Well it's not that I'm making it up: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083278/

But good luck finding it anywhere, other that the soundtrack, I desperately want to watch it again ..

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Trichord posted:

The song that popped into my head when I thought of the "come on" vocal was Commander Tom - Are Am Eye?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh6wrLwRUt8

I thought for sure you had it because the timing was right, and the farty bass stings were striking a chord in my mind, but that's a guy saying "c'mon" in a normal voice, whereas what the track had was a more intoning, almost text to speech like, "COMM ONE" (as in short for communications, or possibly CALM ONE). The voice was deep and slow, and had tons of reverb on it. But thanks for trying! That might nail down the era for me, 95-2000, since that's a 95 track.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

i've seen accounts which claim that Dali did this, not Picasso.

weed cat posted:

I feel like I read this on cracked or something, that a Picasso autograph isn't worth nearly as much as you'd think because he saturated the market with them while he was alive. Also your username lmao what

also dali, as his health failed his cult of hangers-on would get him to sign huge numbers of blank sheets, i think something like 50-80,000? that's also why there's so many fraudulent Dali pieces, people would get these signed sheets and then scribble trash over them.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
Does anyone remember a PC game that came out on those weird "200 Free games!" demo disc? I remember it was something like tetris but you would battle against an enemy insect or something like that. I remember a purple spider and a yellow ant I think. This is driving me nuts...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I saw this picture recently on the internet somewhere and it was like some medieval game and it looked like background characters on the bleachers at a jousting tournament and they looked goofy as gently caress and I can't for the life of me remember if it was here or reddit or what

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Milo and POTUS posted:

I saw this picture recently on the internet somewhere and it was like some medieval game and it looked like background characters on the bleachers at a jousting tournament and they looked goofy as gently caress and I can't for the life of me remember if it was here or reddit or what

the twitter account "good faces" or something similar has loads of screenshots of the kind of weird characters you're describing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

That's cool but I really want to find where I saw it originally. It's a memory thing for me

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

There used to be a like, compilation video up on youtube of singers in popular music hitting Tenor Cs/C5s. That video's been deleted for probably an insane amount of DMCA takedown notices despite only using like three seconds of a bunch of songs, but there was a performance in it that I'd like to find again.

From what I remember, the singer was a small-looking white guy with a beard who played guitar (not that that narrows things down much...), but he hit an amazing sustained C5 on like an extended version of one of the band's hits. The only bit I remember was the passage it came from. The guitar-driven rock instrumentals dropped out, and then he screamed out "It's the hardest part", dragging out hard, and falling into like a almost mumble after that line.

I know the regular mix of the song had a music video that went along with it that was just the band playing the song, but that specific performance came from an extended mix I'm sure.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!
I am looking for a "hidden track" that I think was on some nu-metal album from the mid to late 90s to early 2000s. The bass drum or bass was turned up 15+ db on the song so it was hard to play at a normal volume, and it was like 8-15 minutes of UFO conspiracy theories based around the Roswell incident that sounded like an old school radio show or art bell call.. I heard it twice and I can't find it for the life of me.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Toupee Groupie posted:

I am looking for a "hidden track" that I think was on some nu-metal album from the mid to late 90s to early 2000s. The bass drum or bass was turned up 15+ db on the song so it was hard to play at a normal volume, and it was like 8-15 minutes of UFO conspiracy theories based around the Roswell incident that sounded like an old school radio show or art bell call.. I heard it twice and I can't find it for the life of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RmLkY1387A

BhindiBhaji Boogie
Aug 6, 2013

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I have recently tried to dig up the Fantastic Plastic Machine remake of 70s German art pop band Slapp Happy's song "A Little Something". Here's the original for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYaWiw3hOpM

I use to have the FPM remake on a hard drive somewhere. It was also on some record labels (Avex?) official youtube channel in 2014-2015 but it appears to have been wiped from the internet and there is no mention of it on FPM's discogs page. This is driving me nuts because it seems hard to believe that a song by a relatively well known artist/producer would simply disappear without a trace but here we are.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

ishikabibble posted:

There used to be a like, compilation video up on youtube of singers in popular music hitting Tenor Cs/C5s. That video's been deleted for probably an insane amount of DMCA takedown notices despite only using like three seconds of a bunch of songs, but there was a performance in it that I'd like to find again.

From what I remember, the singer was a small-looking white guy with a beard who played guitar (not that that narrows things down much...), but he hit an amazing sustained C5 on like an extended version of one of the band's hits. The only bit I remember was the passage it came from. The guitar-driven rock instrumentals dropped out, and then he screamed out "It's the hardest part", dragging out hard, and falling into like a almost mumble after that line.

I know the regular mix of the song had a music video that went along with it that was just the band playing the song, but that specific performance came from an extended mix I'm sure.

Something sung by Jon Anderson?

Small white guy, usually has a goatee. Sometimes plays a bit of guitar. Can/could hit amazingly high notes. Can also be unintelligible.

Can't hear him yelling about the difficulty of singing the note, though.

cherry13chumscum
Jun 14, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Several years ago there was this amazing bubble tea place in Queens, NY. I used to go there to drink/eat bubble tea for breakfast and just to drink the plain jasmine green. No sugar, no nothing, just the tea. I asked the owner how to get the tea itself and he said that they used the most popular bubble tea supplier in Taiwan, but I haven't been able to find it. Most Taiwanese bubble tea suppliers online require you to basically order on faith, set up a business account, etc. and there's no way I'm blind buying from like ten suppliers to find out which it was.

Awful CompSloth posted:

Holy crap, that's it! The grey people and the man eating plants. I wonder if the actual series is worth checking out

Yes. Yes it is, Deltora Quest is great.

I forgot, I also miss this discontinued nonalcoholic drink called Ame. It was only sold for a limited time in the early 2000s and it tasted like apricots but way better. Kind of like ramune, but legendary. And that Juice Bar perfume stuff. And all the Bath & Body Works perfumes from the 90s. They must have changed the formulations because they are all pretty gross now. In fact the entire perfume industry seems to have taken a hit for some reason. I remember a lot of stuff on the market used to be better, like Drakkar Noir.

cherry13chumscum fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 14, 2020

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
A children's book from the 80s about a high school football team in Texas (I think) who's coach gets injured and the math teacher dresses up as a dude with a big fake Tom Selleck mustache. I specifically remember one of the players saying "Man, the new coach is really giving us the business" then she takes them all out for ice cream at the end of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

I have heard that before but that is not it. Thanks though.