Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

kensei posted:

This ticket came in to our helpdesk, and I just can't parse what might be happening here.

Sounds like someone went into the theme settings and enabled sounds for every action, turning the computer from a real one to TV one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Geemer posted:

Sounds like someone went into the theme settings and enabled sounds for every action, turning the computer from a real one to TV one.

That's my guess, I am watching the ticket as it is currently assigned to our offshore helpdesk.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Anyone have any idea which variant of crypto this is?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It looks like https://blog.malwarebytes.com/detections/ransom-crysis/

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

kensei posted:

This ticket came in to our helpdesk, and I just can't parse what might be happening here.

Perhaps some program crashed in a strange way that causes all mouse movement events to sound a "ding" sound. I've seen that happen before.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Geemer posted:

wait is this an actual thing....?
I need a GPO for this like right the gently caress now.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

wait is this an actual thing....?
I need a GPO for this like right the gently caress now.

afaik its only on macs. I did it to my mom when I was a kid

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

RFC2324 posted:

Eep eep eep eep eep eep eep eep eep eep

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

Did the same thing to my dad's powerbook when I was in high school. Had it play the Simpsons clip of Homer singing "My Baloney has a first name" for every error. Wasn't too funny when it kept going off during one of his staff meetings.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

diremonk posted:

Did the same thing to my dad's powerbook when I was in high school. Had it play the Simpsons clip of Homer singing "My Baloney has a first name" for every error. Wasn't too funny when it kept going off during one of his staff meetings.

Someone did something like that on the box that ran the ceiling TV screens in the call center, only to find out it didn't produce any sound.

Except...I'm sitting on the far end of the call center, and very faintly, I can hear the Bubble Bobble theme randomly start at odd intervals. It's like one of those things that beeps, and it stops before you can track down where it's coming from, and the period on it repeating is kind of random, so you can't trace it by ear? Like that, but a Bubble Bobble MIDI. The custodian and I eventually figured out that it was coming from the one wall-mounted TV, which was the only actual TV, as in the others on the ceiling were monitors and had no speakers built in. And the TV just barely had the volume turned up to an audible level. And the computer feeding it had some weird loving extension where whenever a certain part of the rotating dashboards would change to a certain value, it'd trigger the MIDI.

:dogbutton:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

for i in $allservers;do ssh $i 'cat /dev/urandom > /dev/audio';done

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

for i in $allservers;do ssh $i 'cat /dev/urandom > /dev/audio';done
s/ur/r/g on a proper system :colbert:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Corona-inflicted :yotj: time! Apparently it makes financial sense to pay me two month's salary to go away rather than to just let me ride the low business period out in the company so they have me handy in case work does come in. Time to start actively searching I guess.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

D. Ebdrup posted:

s/ur/r/g on a proper system :colbert:

Why waste your entropy on this?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I close on my house on July 8th. My last day in this place is June 30th. I submitted my notice and they began advertising for my position.

They are only advertising at community colleges :yotj:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

:munch:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

I close on my house on July 8th. My last day in this place is June 30th. I submitted my notice and they began advertising for my position.

Hell yeah!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

larchesdanrew posted:

Congrats! Every workplace has its issues, but I swear there are places to work that aren't complete nightmare hellholes.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Arquinsiel posted:

Corona-inflicted :yotj: time! Apparently it makes financial sense to pay me two month's salary to go away rather than to just let me ride the low business period out in the company so they have me handy in case work does come in. Time to start actively searching I guess.

That's amazing, congrats on your paid job hunt

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

larchesdanrew posted:

Did the coordination of notice-giving go off as planned? This post is sorely lacking in the delectable details.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

shortspecialbus posted:

Why waste your entropy on this?
proper systems don't waste entropy by using /dev/random

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

larchesdanrew posted:

Did the synchronised resignation happen?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

larchesdanrew posted:

Now you know your perceived value to the company.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm sad we won't get to see the aftermath

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Did the synchronised resignation happen?

I seriously doubt it. most people don't have the nerve for something like that

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Renegret posted:

I'm sad we won't get to see the aftermath

i'm sure there'll be something in the local newspapers a couple months/years down the line, about the superintendent's nephew loving up the network and leaking everyone's data or something

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Truga posted:

i'm sure there'll be something in the local newspapers a couple months/years down the line, about the superintendent's nephew loving up the network and leaking everyone's data or something

everybody keep an eye out on shodan for studentpasswords.txt and Student_Data.mdf

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Sadly, nothing outrageous happened. I'm leaving on good terms because I still haven't even landed an interview in Denver and I move in 3 weeks. I need his title on a recommendation.

I'm trying to keep my avenues open but I'm getting a little nervous. I'm just spending my last few weeks here getting my documentation in order and making sure all the admin logins are consistent and licensing is up to date through the summer.

The coordinated quitting didn't happen as planned, but I dropped my resignation around the same time as 4 other faculty, so the panic is very high regardless.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

There are some folks in the sysadmin channel on IRC that work in Denver and might have some recommendations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

larchesdanrew posted:

Sadly, nothing outrageous happened. I'm leaving on good terms because I still haven't even landed an interview in Denver and I move in 3 weeks. I need his title on a recommendation.

I'm trying to keep my avenues open but I'm getting a little nervous. I'm just spending my last few weeks here getting my documentation in order and making sure all the admin logins are consistent and licensing is up to date through the summer.

The coordinated quitting didn't happen as planned, but I dropped my resignation around the same time as 4 other faculty, so the panic is very high regardless.

Leave a nice handwritten note hidden somewhere for your successor outlining what they're in for at that job.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Leave a nice handwritten note hidden somewhere for your successor outlining what they're in for at that job.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-time_nuclear_waste_warning_messages#Message

This place is a message... and part of a system of messages... pay attention to it!
Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.
This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.
The danger is in a particular location... it increases towards a center... the center of danger is here... of a particular size and shape, and below us.
The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.
The danger is to the body, and it can kill.
The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.
The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
ALL OF THESE JOBS ARE YOURS
EXCEPT IT MANAGER
ATTEMPT NO RESUMES HERE

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

xsf421 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-time_nuclear_waste_warning_messages#Message

This place is a message... and part of a system of messages... pay attention to it!
Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.
This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.
The danger is in a particular location... it increases towards a center... the center of danger is here... of a particular size and shape, and below us.
The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.
The danger is to the body, and it can kill.
The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.
The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.
Considering the half-life of the nuclear waste that humanity is currently leaving in the ground for future generations to discover as well as how little we remember/know of the time when we started creating civilizations about 12k years ago, future humanity is hosed.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

D. Ebdrup posted:

Considering the half-life of the nuclear waste that humanity is currently leaving in the ground for future generations to discover as well as how little we remember/know of the time when we started creating civilizations about 12k years ago, future humanity is hosed.

The entire monument is a gigantic waste of time. Bury it in a concrete lined cave, and leave a nice hot sample near the entrance. To anyone without a gieger counter, it's a boring rear end waste of time. To anyone with one, they'll find a very hot waste source that's very very obviously man-made, and de-rear end the area with great speed.

Though now I want a 3d printed one to sit on top of my servers. With the last 4 lines printed into the base. With a page of COBOL code underneath it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Concrete will be long-gone before nuclear waste stops being dangerous. They already had to rebuild the sarcophagus at Reactor #4.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
We might get lucky and Vesuvius might erupt again and give us the makings of some good Roman pozzolana that'll last another 2k years or so... maybe.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Concrete will be long-gone before nuclear waste stops being dangerous. They already had to rebuild the sarcophagus at Reactor #4.

To be fair, the original sarcophagus was built in a panicked hurry. They had to build the NSC because the concrete was being worn away by weather exposure.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's a bit of a stretch, heh.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

India is going all in building thorium salt reactors over the next 10 years to solve their energy needs and move away from coal/traditional nuclear plants so a lot of that traditional waste might end up as slurry/fuel in those reactors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

India is going all in building thorium salt reactors over the next 10 years to solve their energy needs and move away from coal/traditional nuclear plants so a lot of that traditional waste might end up as slurry/fuel in those reactors.

That's awesome