Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dick Burglar posted:

The last few seconds of that clip really drive home why grappling in a street fight is often a very bad idea: you’re immobilized, and you give all your opponents’ buddies an opportunity to run up and stomp your loving skull. If he’d stayed upright he could’ve at least tried to run.

Also, pray to god your opponent doesn’t have a knife because if they do you and you take the fight to the ground you are 100% going to die.

It was a nice trip though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Anybody have any advise for doing standing punching bags?

I've got my skip rope, my hand wraps, my gloves, and a decent amount of space nearby for isolating, and an app (precision striking) but am wondering if putting down cash for a bag or a pad is worth it.

Leaning towards standing bag because then I don't have to set up some sort of hanging mechanism in the house, but maybe the standing versions have other caveats that I'm not aware of?

I just miss the sensation of giving a solid hit to something. I realise it's a big ask in terms of space though.

Based in Malaysia so brands/models might differ but any info helps!

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Aqua bag

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sounds like where I live will be opening gyms and fitness facilities within 2 weeks. Since contact will almost certainly not be allowed we won't be able to spar, but we should still be able to do drills and patterns in the club for the first time in months which will be pretty drat welcome. Any news how the grappling/floor arts are potentially coming back?

Artelier posted:

Anybody have any advise for doing standing punching bags?

I've got my skip rope, my hand wraps, my gloves, and a decent amount of space nearby for isolating, and an app (precision striking) but am wondering if putting down cash for a bag or a pad is worth it.

Leaning towards standing bag because then I don't have to set up some sort of hanging mechanism in the house, but maybe the standing versions have other caveats that I'm not aware of?

I just miss the sensation of giving a solid hit to something. I realise it's a big ask in terms of space though.

Based in Malaysia so brands/models might differ but any info helps!
I can't speak for speed bags, but I have an Everlast 100lb-120lb heavy and the matching stand and it is very sturdy and seems to be surprisingly well made, which is surprising because they are a mass-market brand here in North America, so I expected it to be kind of junky. Since I have it on carpet it sometimes wants to move back a bit until it hits the wall, but I have not put any weights on it. There are 2 places for plates to go. I think with 50-100lbs of weight (plates or sandbags) and some grip tape it would be pretty solid even on the carpet. On a tile floor it might even be good as is as the feet are a soft, grippy rubber. I think they make a heavy stand with a speed bag hanger on it as well if that floats your boat.

E: As a side, anyone here do Shaun T's Insanity stuff? A group of us have been doing the Max30 4 times a week for the past month for cardio and core and I quite enjoy it. Definitely sweat my rear end off.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 5, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Artelier posted:

How much vertical space do you have? Enough for one of these?:

slidebite posted:

Everlast 100lb-120lb heavy and the matching stand

There's various designs occuyping differing floor space, but they all require a lot more vertical clearance than just a self-standing bag.
This particular design has really close together feet, which I'd find annoying af for moving around close, but I'd def take it over not having a bag at all.

For a standing bag to sway, it either needs a spring or rubbery bits, or it'll have to tip and rock on its base. The latter is especially undesirable, in terms of wear to the floor surface.

Finally, is noise a problem? Because the slapping of strikes and thumping vibrations from hitting any kind of bag indoors travel pretty far.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thank you both for the explanations! I am looking at the heavy bag and stand combos that people sell here and it turns out it is much more expensive than I thought so I think I will save up for it and settle for punching air for now!

But yes, I definitely have enough space for the vertical hanging stand so I believe that is the best investment in the long run since I do not want to scuff the floor with an on ground one, good info!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have on of those bag on stands and, while im reasonably happy with it, I will say the frame makes a looot of noise when the bag is hit.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Does anyone know a good brand of resistance bands? One of the senseis at my dojo has been posting videos and it would help when following along.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fell Fire posted:

Does anyone know a good brand of resistance bands? One of the senseis at my dojo has been posting videos and it would help when following along.

I'm a fan of lovely resistance brands. Seriously. I bought mine at Winners and I'll use them til they break and that's ok because then I can go buy some more at Winners.

Get the ones that have detachable handles so you can thread your belt through the loops and practice gi gripping.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

kimbo305 posted:

How much vertical space do you have? Enough for one of these?:

That's mine exactly, but I think my bag looks a bit larger on it.

The frame definitely makes noise but it's not crazy, being it's in my basement probably helps too (concrete under the carpet).

Fell Fire posted:

Mine is a "plum" brand and it is fine. I pretty much use it exclusively for working out my hamstring now.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Fell Fire posted:

I have a set of Rubber Banditz bands and they're good.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Any decent workouts?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I've been turned into a bit of a fan of Insanity Max 30 during this whole covid bullshit. A group of us do it all at the same time 4 days a week (we all skype and watch her desktop). No equipment needed, it's the right amount of time and I'm definitely in better shape now than when I was just training.

Enough so that when I go back to the office and see people I get double-takes and comments.

We are doing classes outside starting this week and I can't wait for the human interaction. No sparring of course, but doing group drills with space to not plow into poo poo is something I'm looking forward to.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This is why you should train judo:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CBOaJAVJUZy/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hell yeah. Sacrifice dropping like that into concrete would bang up your knees, though, right?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

Hell yeah. Sacrifice dropping like that into concrete would bang up your knees, though, right?

I thought it was dirt, but yeah she really put the drop into drop seo-nagi, her knees would feel it. I suspect the man's face feels it more though.

edit: is this even considered a sacrifice throw?

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 9, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Count Roland posted:

I thought it was dirt, but yeah she really put the drop into drop seo-nagi, her knees would feel it. I suspect the man's face feels it more though.

edit: is this even considered a sacrifice throw?

Oh yeah, I assumed that was dirt, but if it was on asphalt or the sidewalk, would have to make sure you landed the throw as was done here, to make it worth the knee pain.

I don’t think sacrifice is the right term, since you maintain balance. Just that you’re in the disadvantaged position if you don’t succeed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

From a rules perspective anything that takes Tori out of a standing position is a sacrifice throw. Drop seoi eg. Of course those rules only matter for youth divisions.

I can't watch the video above because I don't want to register for instagram

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

CommonShore posted:

I could watch it and not be registered on instgram :confused:

Official word: In house classes start again Monday.

No sparring or equipment, so it's going to be cardio, drills, patterns, repeat.

Still looking forward to it.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Her kuzushi is not loving around. At a quick glance I thought she pushed him back and then he approached her and she seoi naged him, but she's actually got her hand on his collar the whole time and is absolutely pushing him back to set up for the takedown.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

slidebite posted:

I could watch it and not be registered on instgram :confused:

Official word: In house classes start again Monday.

No sparring or equipment, so it's going to be cardio, drills, patterns, repeat.

Still looking forward to it.

In the last week or so Instagram just started giving me a white login screen when I try to look at anything :shrug:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not that it's a big deal either way, but maybe try private or a different browser?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Cephas posted:

Her kuzushi is not loving around. At a quick glance I thought she pushed him back and then he approached her and she seoi naged him, but she's actually got her hand on his collar the whole time and is absolutely pushing him back to set up for the takedown.

Not just pushing, but using her leg to trip him up a bit as well.

And I am also not signed up to instagram, it should be publicly viewable.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So wait, not everyone is unable to watch instagram videos because they haven't registered? I'll need to look into this.

For now I'll just imagine what I bet is a siiiiick throw.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

slidebite posted:

Not that it's a big deal either way, but maybe try private or a different browser?

No luck. NBD. This is why we use the judo terms - it's like described video for grappling

"ok so uke is being really aggressive but tori decides to stand her ground. She moves her left hand to a high collar grip and gives a bit of a pop. Uke resists and when he pushes back hard tori converts that into kuzushi and drops into a flying seoi otoshi"

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Count Roland posted:

Not just pushing, but using her leg to trip him up a bit as well.

And I am also not signed up to instagram, it should be publicly viewable.

Oh I didn't even catch that. Guess she goes for an ouchi gari, it knocks him off balance, and she uses that as an opening for a drop seoi nage. I've seen that clip in the past, I wonder what the context is. I don't know how bad it would be on dirt but landing a throw that way in the middle of the street looks like it could break someone's neck.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

CommonShore posted:

It's this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRTsabfMTgs

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ah yeah I've seen that one before. It's a good setup.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
Do y'all know of any good online guides for breakfalls and tumbling? Asking here since I kinda doubt many in the main fitness threads really do much of this kind of training. It's something that seems easy to train at home alone and is pretty useful in general as an athletic skill set, but you kinda need someone (at least a video) to show you how to do them first.

It's something I've read about from Dan John before but he's bad about only talking about big picture stuff but not giving you a clear idea of how to implement his ideas. He made an Instagram post about it recently which is what's got me thinking about it now:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CBN-UX4CfEG/

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

turd in my singlet posted:

Do y'all know of any good online guides for breakfalls and tumbling? Asking here since I kinda doubt many in the main fitness threads really do much of this kind of training. It's something that seems easy to train at home alone and is pretty useful in general as an athletic skill set, but you kinda need someone (at least a video) to show you how to do them first.

It's something I've read about from Dan John before but he's bad about only talking about big picture stuff but not giving you a clear idea of how to implement his ideas. He made an Instagram post about it recently which is what's got me thinking about it now:

Hmm in my experience learning to properly breakfall is about closing the body awareness gap by having someone watch to make sure that what you're doing is what you think you're doing - slap timing, arm position, leg position, neck tuck.

:shrug: I don't know any guides but if you post some videos/pictures of you doing a few reps I'd give you some feedback.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBqHcL82I_o

it's part 1 of a series

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I agree with CommonShore that you ideally have someone watching you to point out mistakes. Forward rolls are particularly difficult to get the hang of when you're new at them--the refrain I've heard over and over is "that was a barrel roll, not a forward roll. Try again." The thing we'd do in judo is start by practicing low to the ground and working your way up, so doing your breakfalls from your knees at first and working your way to doing them while standing and moving.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Cephas posted:

The thing we'd do in judo is start by practicing low to the ground and working your way up, so doing your breakfalls from your knees at first and working your way to doing them while standing and moving.

Yeah this is how I learned them.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comically today I tried to show my kids class how to do a forward roll as part of their breakfall practice and realized they're too uncoordinated to do that safely so I just showed them how to do heavy pressure from side control. It was funny watching the bratty 8 year old kid struggle to get his 5 year old brother off of him.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
If I'm teaching adults to forward breakfall I often start with plain forward somersaults. A 30 year old probably hasn't done one in 20+ years and they help people get used to going over their heads.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I keep forward somersaults out of the mix because they train people to roll over their heads/necks and not their shoulders. Our path to the forward rolling breakfall is static side breakfall - standing side breakfall - roll from knees - roll from standing.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I often have a hard time GETTING people to roll towards their head, rather than a slumpy roll to the side. A somersault is at least a familiar concept to most everyone. Once I've got them tumbling I guide them towards a proper breakfall.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
Thanks for answering my question! Now to figure out where to put it in my training. Wish I hadn't gotten rid of my puzzle mats last year

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ihop posted:

I often have a hard time GETTING people to roll towards their head, rather than a slumpy roll to the side. A somersault is at least a familiar concept to most everyone. Once I've got them tumbling I guide them towards a proper breakfall.

I wasn't getting anywhere with my forward breakfall until someone brought up the concept of a continous line of contact up the forearm and across the shoulder blades. The somersaulting on its own didn't get me closer to that smooth contact execution.
However, once I started trying to do that, I did get a lot of slumping off to the side instead of finishing forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

kimbo305 posted:

I wasn't getting anywhere with my forward breakfall until someone brought up the concept of a continous line of contact up the forearm and across the shoulder blades. The somersaulting on its own didn't get me closer to that smooth contact execution.
However, once I started trying to do that, I did get a lot of slumping off to the side instead of finishing forward.

The forearm thing is something I did without thinking about it for like 10 years before I actually noticed it, but yeah it's really helpful. Just need to make sure you develop being able to roll without it as well.

One good drill is doing forward rolls while keeping your arms out like a T-pose. Makes the side flop impossible and means you have to have proper mechanics committing to the roll, with enough momentum to come back to your feet without using your hands.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 14, 2020