Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
good point

https://twitter.com/THConservatives/status/1270424603853312000?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1270464668910391303?s=20

eat poo poo Sarah vine, it's not erasing history, we don't have any statues of Hitler but you can still read about him in books (as you well know)

also

https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1270316965027069952?s=20

:3:

e:

Jose posted:

good point

https://twitter.com/THConservatives/status/1270433537821376514?s=20

god forbid we make people feel better, and to think now they've spent this afternoon doing that they won't have any resources left to do anything else forever

e2: lol you'd have thought they'd have some sort of guidelines about getting on the official social media at nine o clock after a bit too much red wine, but maybe not

https://twitter.com/THConservatives/status/1270457538232946689?s=20

you're right it is much easier, not sure that's a very good argument against doing it though? possibly exactly the opposite of a good argument for not doing it?

XMNN fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 9, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
love the bit where it goes in the water and you can see it immediately regretting the decision

e: talking about the cat, but I also love the bit where statues of racists go in the water too

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"relics are useful" says the party of living fossils.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

bionic vapour boy posted:

I went back to work slightly earlier than other retail workers (builders warehouse is more essential I guess) and other than supplying PPE they're doing uh, basically none of the poo poo they said they would in terms of limiting customers. It feels like there's this pervasive idea of Let's Get Back To Normal, Stop Messing About as if a virus is somehow going to be deterred by a stiff upper lip.

I'm scared! It loving sucks!

Not retail but I'm back at work now helping get us ready to reopen and same, management don't give a poo poo. We made a plan of how we can minimise risk and honestly there were a few things on it I thought were a bit precious but even basic poo poo like 'give basement a lovely £100 laptop so rather than various people running downstairs with a physical piece of paper 9 times a day we email it to them', 'customer-facing staff should be allowed to wear masks if they want' and 'take the pointless loving timelock off the downstairs bathroom so staff can wash their hands when they get to work' is being rejected.

Management themselves will of course be continuing to work from home for a period because There's No Point Risking Spread Of The Virus and they've already Adapted To Perform Their Role Despite Challenging Circumstances. They're so loving proud of themselves for managing to log into their work email from home and download Zoom it's loving repellant.

The one bright point is that searching desperately for any positive measure we can take that they can't veto we asked in Whatsapp about peoples commutes to minimise public transport and literally every single member of staff that takes public transport can be carpooled into work for like 6 minutes extra travel for the drivers and everyone is really up for it. One staff member literally calculated how much the petrol would cost and promised to give driver the £2.16 each week and the woman giving her a lift said "That's ridiculous I'm happy to drive you in, I'll enjoy your company" it's genuinely nice how the staff have come together but yeah nothing wrong with being scared and you aren't crazy, your employers don't actually want you to die but they're perfectly comfortable with the The Logic Of The Market leading to it.

Jose posted:

litearlly none of the people being racist in the report have suffered any kind of punishment

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1270374388488167428?s=20

Never believed that Starmer wouldn't be absolutely terrible but him posting this sterile, posed, weak and profoundly fake photo while also condemning the Colston Owners pushed me over the edge I despise this piece of poo poo.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

This is the council that named three new blocks on Sidney Street "Peter House", "Painter House", and "Siege House" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Sidney_Street) and has buildings/streets/estates named after people like Ben Tillet, Will Crooks, Jack Dash and of course George Lansbury, they're probably itching at the chance to rename Milligan Street (with its gated compounds to keep out the local riffraff) after another old commie just to wind up the two Tories on the council a little bit more.

(My actual suggestion would be to rename it after Tommy Flowers, a criminally-overlooked figure in the history of computing and telecommunications, after the Tower Hamlets College annexe they named after him got closed)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Since sometime late last year he looks like he's just been constantly haemorraghing into his head.

It's like the ancient curse is getting worse.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maybe the royal humanity stockpile is getting low and he's starting to go hollow. Though the prospect of an immortal yet increasingly deranged prince phillip isn't a pleasant one.

Do u think prince phillip would link the fire or embrace the age of dark? Answers on a postcard.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Prince Phillip dying in the middle of all this would be p lol, if only to watch politicians try to pretend it's completely ok to be repeatedly, blatantly racist if you're married to the queen

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Angepain posted:

no, please, don't go, impart your wisdom unto us fools

I don't think you're fools, well not much. And there's no rush. You'll all still be here in two years, still living under a tory government the majority of people don't want and wondering why your brilliant plans have all failed. And the answer will still be that everyone who doesn't agree with everything you say 100% is a racist fascist who secretly wants to bring about the fourth reich.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Illuminti posted:

I don't think you're fools, well not much. And there's no rush. You'll all still be here in two years, still living under a tory government the majority of people don't want and wondering why your brilliant plans have all failed. And the answer will still be that everyone who doesn't agree with everything you say 100% is a racist fascist who secretly wants to bring about the fourth reich.

this, but unironically

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pissflaps when did you get a time machine and go back to 2005 to rereg?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

OwlFancier posted:

Maybe the royal humanity stockpile is getting low and he's starting to go hollow. Though the prospect of an immortal yet increasingly deranged prince phillip isn't a pleasant one.

Do u think prince phillip would link the fire or embrace the age of dark? Answers on a postcard.

Definitely link the fire ensuring the further stagnation of the world for a brief period longer.

Although he'd better be careful near any open flames before doing that; he looks like kindling already.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you think there's ever been anyone who complained about the PC police telling them they're racist and how terrible it was, who wasn't actually racist?

Pesky Splinter posted:

Definitely link the fire ensuring the further stagnation of the world for a brief period longer.

Although he'd better be careful near any open flames before doing that; he looks like kindling already.

Ah but would he do it because he knew that he would be upholding the hierarchical order of the gods or would he do it because he's a filthy casul who doesn't even lore. Or would he not do it because the idea of him dying so someone else can rule is against his nature?

Please like and subscribe to hear part two of my eight hundred video series on politics entirely through the lens of dark souls.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 10, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
the man's obsessed

guardian live blog posted:

Blair says coronavirus makes case for digital ID scheme stronger than ever

When Tony Blair was prime minister his government legislated to introduce an identity card scheme. The plan was hugely controversial, by the time the law got passed the scheme had been watered down and was to a large extent voluntary, and later it was enthusiastically repealed by David Cameron’s coalition government. But Blair has not lost interest in the concept and, at an event today, he said that coronavirus made the case for digital ID more compelling than ever.

As PA Media reports, Blair said that only if people can show easily whether they are clear of coronavirus will industries like international travel be able to restart. Speaking at the virtual CogX technology conference, Blair said that such a system would operate alongside track and trace programmes as the economy reopens. He explained:

You can create a digital ID today that is much more easily protected so you can deal with a lot of the privacy and surveillance issues that worry people.

It is a natural evolution of the way that we are going to use technology in any event to transact daily life and this Covid crisis gives an additional reason for doing that.

I think people’s disease status - have they been tested, what is the result of that test and have they had the disease, do they have the disease - unless you are able to record some of this data in a way people can use, it is going to be difficult to go back to anything like a near normal in things like transport.

If you are going to start international travel again, how can you do that unless people can be easily tested and have some record of that test?

There has always been a good case for introducing some form of digital ID but I think that case is even more powerful today.
or maybe heavily invested in someone who's likely to be awarded a contract for it?

either way, when he dies you'll have to stick a stake through his heart to make sure he doesn't keep coming back to pitch ID cards

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Illuminti posted:

why do I get the feeling your proposed solution is going to be "join the Lib Dems"

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Do you think there's ever been anyone who complained about the PC police telling them they're racist and how terrible it was, who wasn't actually racist?

People who use the phrase "PC police" are not really the ones you should be concerned about. They probably are. Unfortunately the term racist now seems to mean everyone who doesn't agree with your ideas or methods. People seem to be born racist now, it's in the blood, which I don't agree with.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Please feel free to be more explicit about an instance of alleged racism that you disagree with so that we can better address your concerns, this may also help to alleviate the tedency to assume that you are thinking something very racist that you don't want to say because it will undermine your protestations of not being racist. Help us help you help yourself.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Illuminti posted:

this joke gets more and more tired as the number of countries with undeniably fascistic governments and major parties grows larger and larger, and it was poo poo to begin with

our government openly support PiS, Fidesz and Trump. They have been denying basic human rights to migrants for years, continue to blame any possible problems on said migrants and occasionally lefties, will fanatically lie and smear any opposition they encounter, have appointed a former parliamentary candidate to run the national press outlet, the rest of the press is really, undeniably far-right except the Old White Man Left Mirror and "The problems are bad but dont you dare solve them" experts at the graun, and are brazenly plowing ahead with killing everyone lest it hurt the precious economy. They plan to blame this on people protesting for human rights, and not their own deliberately sabotaged illusions of containment.

And somehow this is all made worse because posters on a forum aren't nice enough to people that believe and spout violent propaganda, often directed at them. Maybe it's jez's fault and we're all seeing what an effective opposition can do right now. Maybe you've got suggestions about how if we coddle fragile shitheads in their delusions about what teaches a history they don't know and won't learn they might listen to us. It's not worked for several decades but maybe if we just bootstrap ourselves a nice respectable political-media complex we can compete.

Or maybe people are tired and angry, and maybe the people who feel uncomfortable about this should grow a spine.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Illuminti posted:

People who use the phrase "PC police" are not really the ones you should be concerned about. They probably are. Unfortunately the term racist now seems to mean everyone who doesn't agree with your ideas or methods. People seem to be born racist now, it's in the blood, which I don't agree with.

no, they just get taught it by living in a society. did you know we live in a society? we do!

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Please feel free to be more explicit about an instance of alleged racism that you disagree with so that we can better address your concerns, this may also help to alleviate the tedency to assume that you are thinking something very racist that you don't want to say because it will undermine your protestations of not being racist. Help us help you help yourself.

Well today it seems that "Science" has been declared racist.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Actually it's DI Police now, I had to take the desk job when I threw out my knee hoofing a nazi in the knackers.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Illuminti posted:

aaaaaaaahahahahahahahaaaaa

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Illuminti posted:

did you know that you can get arrested in england now, just for being english?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Illuminti posted:

Could you please be more specific because I do not think that anybody believes that "science" is racist. If there is a specific "scientific" thing that you believe is perceived as racist then I would be fascinated to see it.

I'd also again like to give perhaps a little bit of a push to lay your thesis out plain, with specifics, the faster it's here the faster I can give you a substantive answer, which I'm sure we'd all enjoy. Foreplay is fun but the meat of the conversation is better, I think.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Angepain posted:

no, they just get taught it by living in a society. did you know we live in a society? we do!

And everyone in that society has exactly the same experience and ideas....well that's that cleared up

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think a cornerstone of leftist and I think particularly marxist thought is explicitly that everybody most definitely does not have the same experiences in society and that everybody does not develop the same ideas as a result. If everybody did then there would be no concept of class or class interest. Even if you don't go marxist there is the broader left/liberal concept of lived experience, which is highly variable and is understood to give people wildly different perspectives on things.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Illuminti posted:

yeah the stem subjects are racist. It's a priveleged white male dominated field and it suffers severe women and minority ethnic recruitment and retention problem. These are reinforced by a social failure to ever acknowledge non-white history. Did you miss the whole thing about video games too? This is literally the point of hegemony, it corrodes everything it touches to fit into its world view at the expense not only of individuals who can expect a lifetime of discrimination, many choosing that it's not worth it, but of the scientific progresses themselves, because it means some worthless white failchild will end up doing those jobs instead. It does this to protect the esteem, wealth and priveleges of the ruling class and those who are most relateable to them. Is this controversial?

if your definition of racist means "supporting and defending racist policies, and defending and using the rhetoric that enables and encourages those racist policies, and creates a climate of fear for minorities, probably on government media" then yeah dude there's a lot of racists. that is what is happening in 2020. It's been happening a while. If you think it means "refusing to ever engage critically in systemic problems faced by anyone who does not share the gender and ethnic archetype of the ruling class" then that leads you straight into the first point and makes the problems of STEM, and many other fields, completely undeniable.

If your definition of racist is "says a bad word, which I'd never say (in public)" then it's meaningless, as words only matter if they have the context to back them up. History is alive and moving and it's undeniably refusing to do so in a fun or enjoyable way. "Be nice to racist uncle dave" is a very 1997 idea. "Everybody get along quietly" is a very 1997 idea. They don't make you a racist, they make you white noise. But as much as it would, in fact, be nice if we all got along, we can only change things for the better with class solidarity - and that can only come with very unpleasant conversations, not without them. You can't change anything if minorities won't join your movement because they consider it toxic - we don't get to choose which bits of the chains we cast off and which we'd quite like to keep.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

this is a good post but going by his post history I'm pretty sure OP is thinking along the lines of "you can't even say that black people have naturally smaller brains any more"

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Could you please be more specific because I do not think that anybody believes that "science" is racist. If there is a specific "scientific" thing that you believe is perceived as racist then I would be fascinated to see it.

I'd also again like to give perhaps a little bit of a push to lay your thesis out plain, with specifics, the faster it's here the faster I can give you a substantive answer, which I'm sure we'd all enjoy. Foreplay is fun but the meat of the conversation is better, I think.

I can tell you're nearly there, but unfortunately no, I'm not going to play. It's kinda weird (and telling) how desperate you are to rather than even have a vague discussion with me, or simply ignore me, you are trying to goad me into revealing a sin so you can screech witch at me and run me out of town.

I'm well aware that there is nothing I can say that you will not claim makes me racist. I do not agree with you, therefore I am a racist.

The above will probably be more than enough for you to call me a racist to be honest!

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

aaaaaaaahahahahahahahaaaaa

Spangly A posted:

yeah the stem subjects are racist. It's a priveleged white male dominated field and it suffers severe women and minority ethnic recruitment and retention problem. These are reinforced by a social failure to ever acknowledge non-white history. Did you miss the whole thing about video games too? This is literally the point of hegemony, it corrodes everything it touches to fit into its world view at the expense not only of individuals who can expect a lifetime of discrimination, many choosing that it's not worth it, but of the scientific progresses themselves, because it means some worthless white failchild will end up doing those jobs instead. It does this to protect the esteem, wealth and priveleges of the ruling class and those who are most relateable to them. Is this controversial?

if your definition of racist means "supporting and defending racist policies, and defending and using the rhetoric that enables and encourages those racist policies, and creates a climate of fear for minorities, probably on government media" then yeah dude there's a lot of racists. that is what is happening in 2020. It's been happening a while. If you think it means "refusing to ever engage critically in systemic problems faced by anyone who does not share the gender and ethnic archetype of the ruling class" then that leads you straight into the first point and makes the problems of STEM, and many other fields, completely undeniable.

If your definition of racist is "says a bad word, which I'd never say (in public)" then it's meaningless, as words only matter if they have the context to back them up. History is alive and moving and it's undeniably refusing to do so in a fun or enjoyable way. "Be nice to racist uncle dave" is a very 1997 idea. "Everybody get along quietly" is a very 1997 idea. They don't make you a racist, they make you white noise. But as much as it would, in fact, be nice if we all got along, we can only change things for the better with class solidarity - and that can only come with very unpleasant conversations, not without them. You can't change anything if minorities won't join your movement because they consider it toxic - we don't get to choose which bits of the chains we cast off and which we'd quite like to keep.

Julio Cruz, thoughts?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Julio Cruz posted:

this is a good post but going by his post history I'm pretty sure OP is thinking along the lines of "you can't even say that black people have naturally smaller brains any more"

I imagine he's taken one of the articles reporting a particularly unthreatening call for a day of solidarity to highlight race issues in the academic sciences, seen it contains words, like whole pages of them, looked at the headline, blinked, looked at it again and gone "science is... racist?"

But hey, he may yet return to the thread to answer

OwlFancier posted:

OwlFancier's question
and prove me wrong

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Illuminti posted:

I can tell you're nearly there, but unfortunately no, I'm not going to play. It's kinda weird (and telling) how desperate you are to rather than even have a vague discussion with me, or simply ignore me, you are trying to goad me into revealing a sin so you can screech witch at me and run me out of town.

I'm well aware that there is nothing I can say that you will not claim makes me racist. I do not agree with you, therefore I am a racist.

The above will probably be more than enough for you to call me a racist to be honest!

lmao being willing to engage in good faith without relying solely to strawmen is such a low bar and you've gone and broken your fragile lil legs in front of it

Illuminti posted:

Julio Cruz, thoughts?

ima guess "aaaaaaaahahahahahahahaaaaa"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The reason people think you're probably a racist is because (in addition to your previous probes, which for the purposes of this conversation I'm willing to ignore) you're complaining about vague concepts of racism, but refusing to actually state a rigid point, or example. "People think 'Science' is racist" is such a vague statement that I don't even know what you mean. There are multiple possible assumptions I could draw from it but I am asking you to state what you mean more clearly so that I don't have to assume. I am very specifically not assuming you are racist for the purposes of having an actual conversation, a concrete, meaningful one where we talk hard facts and truths.

Complaining about everyone being too quick to judge while not being willing to flop your argument out on the table in plain daylight and ask everyone what they think of it, makes people assume the worst of you because it's what racist people who don't like being called racist, do. Because weirdly when they openly say or do a racist thing people say it's racist, so they instinctively stop doing that, and retreat into simpering "oh you can't say anything nowadays" tone policing.

I am more than willing to have an actual discussion with you about this and yes, if you say something dodgy I will point that out to you and explain why it is the case, but if you're not prepared to commit to that then yes, people are going to think the worst of you, that you're being evasive for a reason and that you're a coward to boot. And they would be entirely reasonable to think that. It's entirely up to you if you want to be frank about this, I can't make you. But I promise you that I'm a big boy and I won't faint at the sight of your turgid takes. I would hope that you could withstand a little firm criticism, if you would but commit to a position? It may not even be necessary. I would be extremely pleased to simply offer a more constructive view of something that does not imply a personal fault on your part.

I have literally all night because I'm not going to sleep until the morning.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 10, 2020

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Illuminti posted:

we'd quite like for you to state an actual position so we can discuss it in the debate and discussion forum rather than some broad-swathes generalisation about some unspecified people somewhere calling some unspecified people racist for doing or saying some unspecified thing when they are not in fact racist. specifying even one of those would be a nice step forward and would allow us to have an actual discussion where we don't just call you names. we might still call you some names if it turns out to be really dumb i admit but it would at least be able to be mixed with some actual exploration of actual concepts

or you could just post what you really think about the validity of my gender identity and likely get probated again and we won't have to read your tedious posts

both good options

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Illuminti posted:

Julio Cruz, thoughts?

my thoughts are "get the gently caress out of this thread you transphobic shithead"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

wish they'd brought that cat in or at least checked if it was microchipped instead of releasing it panicking into the street on a random side of a big rear end river :/

Illuminti posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LtT0xZ11wM

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

if you

Spangly A posted:

refuse.. to ever engage critically in systemic problems faced by anyone who does not share the gender and ethnic archetype of the ruling class

then

Spangly A posted:

minorities won't join your movement because they consider it toxic

and we

Spangly A posted:

don't get to choose which bits of the chains we cast off

so we

Spangly A posted:

don't get to ..cast off

and we

Illuminti posted:

liv(e).. under a tory government the majority of people don't want

and all anyone can hear is

Illuminti posted:

"PC police"

Illuminti posted:

I'm not going to play.

Illuminti posted:

It's weird

Illuminti posted:

It's telling

Illuminti posted:

It's desperate

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

also the "is somebody a racist" conversation is much less interesting than the "is this specific action or set of words racist" conversation and means a whole lot less in practical terms, which is perhaps why those who want to paint the entire left as cultish morons try to make it seem as if the latter conversation doesn't exist and the entire role of exploring racism in society is to generate a list of those who have sinned to be murdered. c.f. this video from 12 years ago, which manages to stay relevant in modern times despite referencing the concept of aggregating feeds in its first few seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angepain posted:

also the "is somebody a racist" conversation is much less interesting than the "is this specific action or set of words racist" conversation and means a whole lot less in practical terms, which is perhaps why those who want to paint the entire left as cultish morons try to make it seem as if the latter conversation doesn't exist and the entire role of exploring racism in society is to generate a list of those who have sinned to be murdered. c.f. this video from 12 years ago, which manages to stay relevant in modern times despite referencing the concept of aggregating feeds in its first few seconds

Yes, this also. Racism doesn't just mean a personal stain on the soul, it's something you do, and it's something you can do without realizing it. In fact the idea of it just being a personal failing is a very liberal one that the left generally thinks is stupid.