Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I will say that I feel as though if we weren't importing from China, we'd look elsewhere (Thailand, India, Taiwan etc) because it'd still be cheaper to import than to produce more at home. that's my reckonomics, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Gentleman Baller posted:

But it measures the difference in speed between the various tests, not your overall speed. It doesnt matter if you are 0.2 seconds slower than everyone else, it matters what specific tests you are slower and faster on.

There's more factors involved than just speed. The number of stimuli being categorised, the type of stimuli, the length each task, and your ability to switch and adapt between tasks for example. Maybe it's fine for 'average people', but it is making a lot of assumptions about the capability of how the testee processes information, and doesn't make any attempt to control for them (which you can't really do in a five minute test). I know there are quite a few posters who have adhd or autism, so I just wanted to warn people up front that it might be a test that you naturally suck at (you could do the test with shapes, colours, sounds, etc. and get equally poor results).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

The Before Times posted:

I will say that I feel as though if we weren't importing from China, we'd look elsewhere (Thailand, India, Taiwan etc) because it'd still be cheaper to import than to produce more at home. that's my reckonomics, at least.

We used to do a fair bit of stuff that required white collar workers through China, but a lot of businesses are moving to Manila because it's cheaper than Shenzhen and there are plenty of people there with English language and higher qualifications.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
There is no evidence that bad performance in an implicit bias test predicts racist behavior, OP. If someone with a concerned look on their face urges you to take an implicit bias test to measure your racism you should trea them the same way you would a myers-briggs enthusiast.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
"Raw" milk is one of those things which comes back every few years and hangs around until kids start dying, then scurries under a rock again.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Amethyst posted:

There is no evidence that bad performance in an implicit bias test predicts racist behavior, OP. If someone with a concerned look on their face urges you to take an implicit bias test to measure your racism you should trea them the same way you would a myers-briggs enthusiast.

i matched with ghandi

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Amethyst posted:

Assuming that China is using recent tariffs and import bans and now travel advisories as tools of economic coerciaon against australia:

-What are the economic and political implications of non-compliance with China?
-What about the opposite? If we capitulate to China on everything is that sustainable in the long or medium term?

This is my understanding of the situation - anyone with better than layman knowledge of the subject is welcome to correct me:
- China is our biggest export partner for both resources (iron, coal, gas etc) and services (tourism and education primarily), as well as our biggest import partner.
- we're probably relatively safe on the resources front in the short term. Resource exports are economically beneficial to both Australia and China, and there's no value to the CCP in taking an (admittedly modest) hit by restricting Australian resource imports to make a political point (ala Trump).
- service exports are where China has the upper hand. It seems to me that Chinese tourists or students in Australia don't do much economically for China directly, but they are an important pillar of our service economy. Restricting outward travel to Australia would have minimal economic impact on China but cause significant harm to our economy.

In terms of what cooperation looks like, probably worth looking at countries like South Korea. Notwithstanding historical and cultural factors, South Korea is wealthy while heavily embedded within China's economic sphere (contrast this with Asian and African nations that are embedded in China's economic sphere but are not wealthy, or European countries which are relatively wealthy but do not export much to China). Japan is another potential comparator, but they have much more significant economic links with the US than we do and there's historical animosity to consider.

In terms of capitulation, who knows? China having the geopolitical and economic muscle to play a dominant role on the international stage is a relatively new development.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

hambeet posted:

i matched with ghandi

indira?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Anidav posted:

O’Connor suggests those who march in protest consider more than the “white versus black” narrative [...] but before the hordes of local virtue signallers start organising another illegal protest march, a little perspective as provided by American black activist Candace Owens might be helpful.

[...]

Owens dismisses the entire narrative of racially motivated violence by police as “complete smoke and mirrors”.

“It’s all made up. It’s white versus black because it’s an election year and not because black Americans are suffering at the hands of police officers more than white Americans.

“It’s crap, it’s a fake, it’s a farce. Our biggest problem is us. It’s why we don’t talk about it when black-on-black violence happens.

“We don’t talk about it when black people are being slaughtered by blacks because that would mean we’d have to be accountable. That would mean personal responsibility and we don’t do personal responsibility. We blame white people. We only point a camera at white people when they do something, even though we do it at a far higher rate to ourselves.

“How difficult is it not to spend multiple times in prison? Is that too difficult for us?” she asks.

'A little perspective' by saying 'we don’t do personal responsibility, we blame white people' in response to a series of protests started by white police killing a black guy, where those police initially got off with zero charges. :cripes: Even if Floyd had a criminal history, he had served his time for every charge I've read about which means he took personal responsibility for everything he did (even in cases where he might not have, he still did the time).

“It’s crap, it’s a fake, it’s a farce. Our biggest problem is us. It’s why we don’t talk about it when black-on-black violence happens." - she has a platform to talk about black on black violence and even has the conservative ear, but instead of talking about it, she talks about how no one talks about it.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

The Before Times posted:

anyone else itt feeling real depressed about being a cog in a racist machine designed to commit genocide over hundreds of years in various different insidious forms

and powerless to do much about it beyond the usual voting, retweeting, signing petitions, donating to VALS etc

no

i'm depressed about being a misshapen cog unable to fit in the racist machine but being pressured to do so in order to continue my existence

and powerless to do much about it beyond the usual voting, retweeting, signing petitions, donating to VALS etc

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

freebooter posted:

Nah it's a sulky tit-for-tat from a glass-jawed state because of our recent diplomatic stoushes, which in any case is a moot point because nobody is travelling to Australia any time in the near future

It is both. They probably should had an advisory for forever.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Zetsubou-san posted:

no

i'm depressed about being a misshapen cog unable to fit in the racist machine but being pressured to do so in order to continue my existence

I mean, that too

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Tokamak posted:

There's more factors involved than just speed. The number of stimuli being categorised, the type of stimuli, the length each task, and your ability to switch and adapt between tasks for example. Maybe it's fine for 'average people', but it is making a lot of assumptions about the capability of how the testee processes information, and doesn't make any attempt to control for them (which you can't really do in a five minute test). I know there are quite a few posters who have adhd or autism, so I just wanted to warn people up front that it might be a test that you naturally suck at (you could do the test with shapes, colours, sounds, etc. and get equally poor results).

Well, according to Harvard, the reason why they had 5 tests in that order are to account for things like attention span and how brains adapt to tasks. I certainly am happy to hear how these specifically wouldn't work for people with ADHD such as myself. Like, are you saying if the tests were done in the inverse way, so instead of starting with white and positive it was black and positive, etc, it would bias your results in the opposite way to whatever direction it biases it towards now?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

quote:

Disclaimer:

These results are not a definitive assessment of your implicit preference.The results may be influenced by variables related to the test (e.g., the category labels or particular items used to represent the categories on the IAT) or the person (e.g., how tired you are). The results are provided for educational purposes only.

How Does The IAT Work?

The IAT measures the strength of associations between concepts (e.g., the White person, the Black person) and attributes (e.g., Good words, Bad words). The main idea is that making a response is easier when closely related items share the same response key. We would say that one has an implicit preference for the White person relative to the Black person if they are faster to categorize words when the White person and Good words share a response key relative to when the Black person and Good words share a response key.Any single IAT is unlikely to predict behavior well for a specific individual. In the aggregate, the IAT can predict behavior such as discrimination in hiring and promotion, medical treatment, and decisions related to criminal justice.

What Was This Study About?

In this study, we examined people's evaluations toward the White person and the Black person, and how these relate to the behaviors learned about them, and to the social groups they belong to.
We would like to know which of these two sources of information (the individual's behaviors, the social group) matters the most, in forming a judgment about the individual.

Does The Order In Which I Took The IAT Matter?

Yes, the order in which you take the IAT can influence your overall results. But, the effect is very small. So if you first pair the White person + Good words/ the Black person + Bad words and then pair the White person + Bad words/ the Black person + Good words, your results might be a just a tiny bit different than they would be if you had done the reverse pairing first. To minimize the order effect, we give more practice trials before the second pairing than we did before the first pairing.We also randomly assign participants to one of the two possible orderings, so half of the test-takers complete the White person + Good words/ the Black person + Bad words and then the White person + Bad words/ the Black person + Good words, and the other half get the opposite order.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

froglet posted:

Apparently there's people out there who want to bring back unpasteurised milk.

This whole thing is so unbelievably stupid and I'm angry about it.

Pasteurised milk is safe milk. There's a risk of the milk containing pathogens before it's even left the fuckin cow, why would anyone want to roll the dice?

Edit: Also it's sold as "bath milk". Who the hell wants to wash themselves with something potentially riddled with e. coli and who knows what other nasty bacteria? If you want to act like royalty, buy a fuckin coat from some fancy designer, not bathe in fuckin milk and catch something doctors only normally see in medical textbooks. And definitely don't drink it.

These people are the types who think 5G gives you cancer and vaccines cause autism. You can't reason with them.

Also no-one is bathing in the stuff, it's just a reason for selling unpasteurised milk which people will then go and drink. There was talk a few years back (when it last came up as an issue) of putting some bitter tasting chemical in it so it couldn't be consumed. Needless to say it was not well received.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

These people hate anything to do with science. Vaccines? No. Pasteurisation? No. Spherical Earth? No.

I'd say go ahead and let these loving freaks drink their poison milk, but the awful thing is that they all seem to have tons of kids to poison as well.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I love all my misshapen cog goon posters.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Wasnt really expecting to see a Seattle Autonomous Zone in 2020 tbh

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Solemn Sloth posted:

Wasnt really expecting to see a Seattle Autonomous Zone in 2020 tbh

When the Elves start appearing then we know shits about to get real.

And I find out I am, in fact, a spike-baby Orc.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Oh my god this IAT talk is giving me flashbacks to writing my undergraduate thesis

e: FWIW I've published research which included the IAT, the literature doesn't really rate it as a valuable tool and there's a lot of contention about how you even calculate scores. I used a specific way to actually calculate the "effect" of the IAT and (as other posters correctly identify) it really correlates a lot with working memory, as well as stuff like impulsivity (although the "error" rate would also increase with these individuals).

The IAT didn't really work out anyway in my research and I'd make an argument about whether we are measuring something "implicit" or just purely accessible. Another thing to be mindful of here is the relationship between accessibility and translating that into some kind of behaviour. For example, we may be very aware of what comes to mind when someone uses the word "cracker", but does that actually have to do with behaviour? I'd always be looking at some kind of solid outcome variable in any case when interpreting the results of an IAT because again you just might be really aware/are more easily able to access certain kinds of stereotypes.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 9, 2020

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

since people are still talking about it..

Gentleman Baller posted:

Well, according to Harvard, the reason why they had 5 tests in that order are to account for things like attention span and how brains adapt to tasks. I certainly am happy to hear how these specifically wouldn't work for people with ADHD such as myself. Like, are you saying if the tests were done in the inverse way, so instead of starting with white and positive it was black and positive, etc, it would bias your results in the opposite way to whatever direction it biases it towards now?

For ADHD/Autism specifically, the test is designed in such a way that exaggerates perseverative errors. Like if you were on a production line with red and blue widgets and your job was to sort them into red and blue bins, if you switched the bins around you would continue to sort them as if they weren't switched. Some people can adapt to the change instantly, some after a couple of errors, and some only after a prolonged period of adjustment. The error goes in both directions because you would be putting red widgets in blue bins and blue widgets in red bins. The same issue applies to how long it takes for someone to go from 0%-100% processing speed after switching tasks.

I haven't read about the test design or how the author the author tries to control for these things, but I kinda get the sense that they are trying to imply that there is a correlation between making these errors and implicit bias (which is dumb for what I think is obvious). I don't doubt there is implicit bias, It's just I am getting a bad smell about this particular test. The disclaimer by the author a few posts up, really makes it seem like the effect is small and would likely go away if you were to try to control for these problems more thoroughly.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Murdoch streaming is actually called BINGE I thought anidav was joking lol

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Tokamak posted:

For ADHD/Autism specifically, the test is designed in such a way that exaggerates perseverative errors. Like if you were on a production line with red and blue widgets and your job was to sort them into red and blue bins, if you switched the bins around you would continue to sort them as if they weren't switched. Some people can adapt to the change instantly, some after a couple of errors, and some only after a prolonged period of adjustment. The error goes in both directions because you would be putting red widgets in blue bins and blue widgets in red bins. The same issue applies to how long it takes for someone to go from 0%-100% processing speed after switching tasks.

I haven't read about the test design or how the author the author tries to control for these things, but I kinda get the sense that they are trying to imply that there is a correlation between making these errors and implicit bias (which is dumb for what I think is obvious). I don't doubt there is implicit bias, It's just I am getting a bad smell about this particular test. The disclaimer by the author a few posts up, really makes it seem like the effect is small and would likely go away if you were to try to control for these problems more thoroughly.

I have no hesitation in thinking this post is a very solid assessment.

I was courious if for 50% of the tests they swapped the good white / bad black order given because obviously if they are able to correct for the effect then they would be able to output an accurate assessment either way.

Doing the test made me think of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Our new app streaming service called CONSUME

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Tokamak posted:

Classically, the IAT is the difference in reaction fine between blocks of word pairs. As a simplification, if the reaction time between the “black” block and “criminal” block is lower than “white” and “criminal”, this might indicate a bias for associating black and criminal semantically. There’s a bit more to it though.

The error poo poo is actually a confounding component in a classic IAT, if someone responds quickly but makes a ton of errors, then it’s introducing unwanted noise in the data because they are just responding quickly to all stimuli.

I’m perpetuating the derail but there’s no one test to detect ADHD, and I doubt an IAT, famous for producing small effects of at all, would be able to provide indication for something as nuanced as ADHD. You’d be better off doing an IQ test like the WAIS-IV and checking for significant differences between performance on verbal/spatial reasoning and working memory/processing speed.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

More News Corp Cuts

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/jun/09/news-corp-cuts-more-jobs-this-time-at-its-metropolitan-newspapers

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Still here somehow

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The abc is also cutting 250 jobs.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

a good test for ADHD is to have a partner who is not super organised but also not terribly organised to point out that you are in fact extremely forgetful, disorganised and probably should get checked for ADHD.

I mean thats how I ended up with a diagnosis at 31.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
A bad year to be a casual in a media workplace. You'd almost have to be on some sort of a 'special arrangement' with management to still have a job. The jig is up Anime David, if that is your real name! Who have you been selling out to News Corpse to keep your job? Or is it the sourcing and distribution of prolapsed pony porn that Rupert craves? Well to assist you in your ongoing employment:-

-/-

Someone wanted to know what the pros and cons of us swapping our allegiance from the USA to China might be. Excluding direct trade relations which may be altered regardless of our stance as 'great friends'.

China as main defence partner

Pros

Currently utterly unthinkable that we would follow China into an armed conflict. Since WW2 we have followed the US in unilateral actions in Vietnam, Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan, Iraq again. This has been at a cost of around six hundred Australian lives directly, many more through PTSD suicide and numerous casualties that range from maiming to the afore mentioned PTSD. Australia's military budget has been highly inflated due to ANZUS and SEATO obligations since the fifties. Due to the cold war and red menace fears this posture was never seriously questioned by either side of politics. This also raises the question of what, exactly, has the US done for us recently besides significantly raising our profile as an anti-Islamic power and therefore terrorist target.

China would see this as a major global diplomatic coup and would possibly shower Australia with all manner of favours.

Cons

Despite the extremely, and increasingly, threadbare nature of 'moral authority' afforded by the freedom and democracy of the Western powers, to choose the 'other side' is problematic. China is currently an oppressive oligarchy and our relationship with India and much of the rest of SEA would need to be carefully re-calibrated if we took such a radical step. It would seem beyond the skill of our current DFAT establishment to pull this one off.

Under the Five Eyes arrangements Australia arguably gets the best intelligence material available at an enormous discount. We certainly couldn't collect and analyse the sheer volume of material that the US and the UK do. Whether the material is well analysed or passed on in a timely manner is somewhat problematic. It is hard to imagine China opening it's code books to Australia but some limited intelligence sharing must come with a formal defence partnership. Any fears and doubts we might currently harbour about the quality, timeliness or selectivity of Five Eyes intelligence would be manifold in dealing with Chinese material. It's somewhat speculative but it is not inconceivable that China currently has the most comprehensive and superior of all the intelligence services. Us getting an unbiased/unfettered look at that treasure trove would seem unlikely in the extreme.

Conclusion

From the above it can be clearly seen that Australia is in no position to make such a radical realignment. The hysteresis in our bureaucracies alone would make in impossible. China will continue to increase it's economic partnership with us and we will bumble along with our well worn current arrangements with the US and others. At some point China may become less Authoritarian or the US might diminish in its usefulness to the point that some arrangements are severed. Who can reliably tell the future?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

There is very little in common between China and Australia. People in Australia would not accept alliances with China.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Uh, I'm Andrew Bolt in a giant yellow chicken costume.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

in some good-ish news, the Brumbys are being trapped and removed from Kosziousko national Park and taken to the knackery.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I think the US might also be an oppressive oligarchy.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

JBP posted:

There is very little in common between China and Australia. People in Australia would not accept alliances with China.

There's a bit of an issue wrt language and lit being a pretty formative deal in this stuff and China has strong traditions in both I don't see Australia adopting but also we've seen huge shifts in what an alliance entails since WW2 so I don't think it's an either/or choice

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Laserface posted:

in some good-ish news, the Brumbys are being trapped and removed from Kosziousko national Park and taken to the knackery.

It is sad for the horses, but it has to be done.

You get some people who have romantic ideas about brumbies, but, realistically, they are pests that destroy the environment. I've yet to hear anyone given a viable alternative to catching and killing them.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

This is what our dealings with China will look like.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

froglet posted:

It is sad for the horses, but it has to be done.

You get some people who have romantic ideas about brumbies, but, realistically, they are pests that destroy the environment. I've yet to hear anyone given a viable alternative to catching and killing them.

The first idea was shooting them from a helicopter which I am also totally fine with.

I love the snowy mountains and I would rather know that the Southern Corroboree Frog lives there and never see one, than know it used to live there and never see one because of a bunch of loving horses.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

hooman posted:

I think the US might also be an oppressive oligarchy.

How do you think the George Floyd protests would play in the PRC, Hooman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I think it's fairer to say the US is more like an alliance of 50 oppressive oligopolies