Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I tried watching that movie after so many people proudly declared that "its not that bad!". I paused it to do something else for ten seconds, then forgot about it for four hours. Its so bland and by the numbers. i forgot it existed as i was watching it.

As usual, the best thing about it by far is Robotnik

Also Ben Schwartz literally just using his Dewey Duck voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As usual, the best thing about it by far is Robotnik

Also Ben Schwartz literally just using his Dewey Duck voice

Yeah, Jim Carrey was giving exactly zero fucks, and was probably the only person in that movie's production who was having fun.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it's also cool that Hyper Potions are getting SEGA money for their excellent music.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Yeah, Jim Carrey was giving exactly zero fucks, and was probably the only person in that movie's production who was having fun.

IIRC they killed a visual effects studio redoing Sonic's design for the entire movie

I mean, I liked it, but I was pretty drunk.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Arguably they actually made the movie worse by going back and trying to make Sonic look less grotesque. They really hosed up, between Cats and Sonic it could have been the Winter of CGI Monstrosities

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Honestly it just surprised people who were expecting it to be a complete trainwreck and it instead turned out to be perfectly serviceable. And unlike Detective Pikachu, the non-CGI actors were generally pretty decent. And almost unprecedented in actually giving Sonic an origin story and an actual personality that's not Generic Cartoon Protagonist Guy or just straight ripping Bugs Bunny.

Cats' CGI abominations were just one of an endless parade of baffling artistic decisions, though it makes a lot of sense when you realise its director didn't understand how CGI worked and refused to review scenes until they were finished.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Arguably they actually made the movie worse by going back and trying to make Sonic look less grotesque. They really hosed up, between Cats and Sonic it could have been the Winter of CGI Monstrosities

Yeah tbh I was sort of looking forward to hate watching it, but now that Sonic doesn't look all hosed up and deformed why would I ever want to watch a Sonic the Hedgehog movie?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reminded how everyone was freaked out by the Detective Pikachu initial reveals, but it turned out in motion they really worked. Making Pokemon look just real enough to be a little unsettling actually makes them interesting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The only potential enteraintment value a Sonic movie ever had was my mental picture of Chris Chan trying to go super saiyin over it in a theater in the middle of nowhere.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the problem with detective pikachu is it had a weird rear end plot where pikachu was actually his dead father or something similar . It gave it a really weird vibe in the end and was pretty much outright dumb which is a shame because the cgi designs were amazing.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Caesar Saladin posted:

the problem with detective pikachu is it had a weird rear end plot where pikachu was actually his dead father or something similar . It gave it a really weird vibe in the end and was pretty much outright dumb which is a shame because the cgi designs were amazing.

Yeah, that was weird even by Pokemon standards, and I'm not sure it was even in the game? (Mind you, apparently the game's ending is a bit of a wet fart)

Though Pokemon is a pretty weird setting even aside the superpowered wildlife. Humans can have psychic powers too, some very powerful, just for starters, and there's teleporters. (Though ones that can teleport humans are rare and seem to be closed systems)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

gently caress, same.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, that was weird even by Pokemon standards, and I'm not sure it was even in the game? (Mind you, apparently the game's ending is a bit of a wet fart)

Though Pokemon is a pretty weird setting even aside the superpowered wildlife. Humans can have psychic powers too, some very powerful, just for starters, and there's teleporters. (Though ones that can teleport humans are rare and seem to be closed systems)
It's never actually revealed that DP is Harry in the game, but it's so bloody obvious even in the early parts. It ends with a cliffhanger where DP and Tim head on out to continue looking for Harry. That'll probably be the plot in the Switch sequel.
It also has a pretty hosed up Flowers for Algernon moment right before the ending where DP tricks Tim into thinking he's reverted back into a regular Pikachu.

The writing in the game is actually really good and funny for a kids game. It's piss easy and I never had any issues with a puzzle but still had an enjoyable time.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And unlike Detective Pikachu, the non-CGI actors were generally pretty decent.

oh my god the live actors in detective pikachu were DREADFUL. i don't know if they just had piss poor direction or what but it was like a god damned high school musical, did they cast their leading roles from a loving internet lottery or something

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 9, 2020

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i thought the ending to detective pikachu was dumb too yeah. having pikachu be a regular dude on the inside isnt cute

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i mean, having a pikachu who just naturally happens to have developed the personality of ryan reynolds and the diet of a fifty year old man also isn't cute, but it's way funnier

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

cute em ups are the best shmups. twinbee, parodius, harmful park, cotton, all those games are a blast while something like ikaruga frankly bores me because it's just a series of hoops to jump through with no sense of mayhem or fun

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
jim carrey going all out as robotnik actually sounds kinda interesting

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i actually really want an ff8 iOS port

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i want ff8 as a baldurs gate game

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

i thought the ending to detective pikachu was dumb too yeah. having pikachu be a regular dude on the inside isnt cute

It's gonna be interesting when they have to make a sequel and figure out how to get Ryan Reynolds back in the Pikachu.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Khanstant posted:

i want ff8 as a baldurs gate game

rinoa: "save me, squall!"

squall: 1. ... whatever.
2. whatever...
3. ... whatever...
4. whatever.
5. ...

(3)

squall: "... whatever..."

combat log: rinoa attempts a Fortitude save: hold on to ledge (natural 1).
combat log: The Ground does 715 hit points of damage to rinoa.
combat log: rinoa explodes!

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 10, 2020

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Ocean Book posted:

jim carrey going all out as robotnik actually sounds kinda interesting

the sonic movie is probably the best movie i've seen in the last six months.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I C what U did there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

the sonic movie is probably the best movie i've seen in the last six months.

The funny thing this is probably true for a lot of people

The last movie before the world entered the Cool Zone

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

its not good at all, its actually very bad and very boring for the majority of the movie except for a few brief moments of jim carrey. I seriously don't know why people on the internet are so weird about sonic. Is it furry stuff?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think people went into it with very low expectations that where surpassed by the movie's mediocrity. There are a lot of good movies floating about, if the Sonic film and Jim Carrey's performance are highlights you need to dig into RottenTomatoes and find more movies you like, seriously.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Serephina posted:

I think people went into it with very low expectations that where surpassed by the movie's mediocrity. There are a lot of good movies floating about, if the Sonic film and Jim Carrey's performance are highlights you need to dig into RottenTomatoes and find more movies you like, seriously.

detective pikachu and the sonic movie are works of art compared to the lovely video game movies I grew up with as a kid. I saw super mario bros in a real life movie theater as a young child with my dad and he's been bitching about seeing that movie with me for the last 27 years. I grew up in the 90's and sat through the mask and ace ventura and liar liar etc. - when I saw the original sonic movie trailer before the character redesign, I was expecting literally the worst movie in the history of movies. It's actually probably top five video game movies of all time (which again, isn't saying much.)

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

detective pikachu and the sonic movie are works of art compared to the lovely video game movies I grew up with as a kid. I saw super mario bros in a real life movie theater as a young child with my dad and he's been bitching about seeing that movie with me for the last 27 years. I grew up in the 90's and sat through the mask and ace ventura and liar liar etc. - when I saw the original sonic movie trailer before the character redesign, I was expecting literally the worst movie in the history of movies. It's actually probably top five video game movies of all time (which again, isn't saying much.)

my dad told me that the worst moment raising kids was when he brought me and my friends to see the Pokemon movie for my birthday and he still considers it the worst movie he's ever seen

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

my dad told me that the worst moment raising kids was when he brought me and my friends to see the Pokemon movie for my birthday and he still considers it the worst movie he's ever seen

Pi...ka?? Pika pika?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I feel like there's a whole generation of teenagers who have only seen disney and marvel movies their entire lives and have no context for what a really good movie actually is. Like when I was 11 I saw Gladiator in theatres and it blew my young mind with its violence and drama and if that came out they wouldn't even bother seeing it because its not part of a major media franchise already.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i cant communicate with teenagers about media or movies or anything because the venn diagram has basically 0 overlap

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It kind of breaks people's brains when their expectations have such a dramatic difference from the reality, and it works both ways.

Mind you, Sonic's got a long history of tie-in media that's usually competent for its time and place, not completely disastrous and/or poorly thought out like most video game movies and cartoons. Even the comics were competent and interesting before they became a trainwreck. (and after) Probably because Sega tends to let licensers do whatever, and Sonic is literally a cartoon character so you can pretty much drop him into any workable formula. (Which is a little ironic; Nintendo treats the Mario cast basically like the Muppets you can drop into any story as needed, while Sega has tried to be consistent with Sonic but they're incredibly bad at it)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

I feel like there's a whole generation of teenagers who have only seen disney and marvel movies their entire lives and have no context for what a really good movie actually is. Like when I was 11 I saw Gladiator in theatres and it blew my young mind with its violence and drama and if that came out they wouldn't even bother seeing it because its not part of a major media franchise already.

Gladiator is a weird example because I feel like it's one of the earlier blueprints of what Hollywood has devolved into now. Not that it's a bad movie or anything, but it's part of a turning point where Hollywood movies stopped being weird and interesting in favor of epic poo poo that is way too long and overproduced. Feels like a proto Marvel movie to me.

Either way there isn't any lack of good stuff for teenagers to watch now. The good stuff has just shifted to televison and like, A24 stuff that no one watches in theaters but everyone watches on Prime.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’d love to see more A24 poo poo in theaters (corona aside) but not many places carry it. Midsommar was a great theater experience, the hammer scene was very visceral with the massive screen and thundering audio. I would have loved to see In Fabric at the theater but nobody had it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Gladiator is a weird example because I feel like it's one of the earlier blueprints of what Hollywood has devolved into now. Not that it's a bad movie or anything, but it's part of a turning point where Hollywood movies stopped being weird and interesting in favor of epic poo poo that is way too long and overproduced. Feels like a proto Marvel movie to me.

gladiator is a standalone violent depressing action movie based in a historial setting

marvel movies are all light sci fi action movies with light comedy added, that is a strange comparison honestly. marvel movies have more in common with the original star wars movies.

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 10, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The original Star Wars movies knew when to quit which is pretty much the antithesis of the marvel movie franchise. Of course that all went down the toilet 15 years later when George Lucas decided to gently caress with it endlessly and do the terrible prequels, then sell it to Satan Disney, but to me that doesn't really reflect on the 3 actual Star Wars movies.

In regards to Gladiator though. it is a pretty dope movie, but to me it's one of the precursors to everything being LOTR and transformers and eventually marvel. Obviously it's not a franchise or anything but imo it definitely helped set the tone for modern Hollywood.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Shibawanko posted:

i cant communicate with teenagers about media or movies or anything because the venn diagram has basically 0 overlap

You mean you don't watch 90 hours of youtube a week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

You mean you don't watch 90 hours of youtube a week?

Not getting blowjobs should free up a lot of his time so I don't get it