Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah those redraws did absolutely nothing for me. It's a real shame that he's spent so much time on the least interesting part of the current arc. The difference in quality is made all the more apparent by the next chapter being Zombieman vs the vampire which is truly excellent.

Edit - https://mangadex.org/chapter/918406
https://mangadex.org/chapter/918701
https://mangadex.org/chapter/918876/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
So, uh, the Flashy Flash battle is just retconned out of the manga now? That is certainly an interesting choice.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

So, uh, the Flashy Flash battle is just retconned out of the manga now? That is certainly an interesting choice.

Why do you say that? It's still in as far as I'm aware - they just get resurrected by Pheonix since their corpses fell into that chamber. The ninjas even comment that the last thing they remember was fighting Flashy Flash. That part isn't even new to this redraw, it was a part of the first one.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I like the new version of the fight better than the old one. I'm not entirely sure how necessary it was but whatever, it's more content

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The new version is cool but I wish it wasn't so Saitama centric.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

This just makes child emperor even more of a chump than he was before

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

This just makes child emperor even more of a chump than he was before

S-class are definitely not invincible warriors that'll defeat every monster they encounter.

Sure 8 if those losses are Genos but at least Child Emporer can just build better next time. Maybe there's some leftover alien ship to make stuff out of.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Part of me wonders if the main reason for this redraw is thinking about season 3 of the anime, and the need to include Saitama more. The next season would likely end with Orochi vs Saitama, and that doesn't leave him with much to do in between.

As for the changes, I think they are mostly fine, but I agree that the stakes were much lower. Pheonix man ended up way more powerful in his final stage previously, and any fight that has Saitama as a spectator is not going to feel very threatening.

Of course, now I've lost track of how many loose threads there still are in additional chapters that need to be changed...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Basically my thought on the redraws is "Why Phoenixman?"

Is this the longest fight in the series or does it feel this way because of the redraws and how it has been spaced out?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Some part of Murata understands that Phoenixman is easily the worst fight in the comic and now years later he is still trying to return to it and fix it.

Though if he really wants to do that he should just cut a chapter or two from it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
phoenixman was already a really good fight. child emperor struggled and struggled, and finally won against an overwhelming foe due to his quick thinking instead of the power of his weapons.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
There is some good stuff in the redraws. I got a laugh out of Saitama punching his way into the psychic dreamland, for example.

I was going to say that the worst part was not having Pheonix man tear off his costume, but it seems pretty clear that either One or Murata want to bring Pheonix man back at some point.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Bucswabe posted:

There is some good stuff in the redraws. I got a laugh out of Saitama punching his way into the psychic dreamland, for example.

I was going to say that the worst part was not having Pheonix man tear off his costume, but it seems pretty clear that either One or Murata want to bring Pheonix man back at some point.

It's probably cause when Phoenixman tears off his outfit he boils down to a man in a costume instead of an actual monster.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Parrotine posted:

It's probably cause when Phoenixman tears off his outfit he boils down to a man in a costume instead of an actual monster.

In this version, he throws out a line about turning a costume into a monster, not the wearer turning into a monster. If he dies, they'd be killing a human costume still.

Ergo he will live forever.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Bucswabe posted:

Yeah, while overall I'm meh on the rewrite, this amused the hell out of me.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Zombieman is the best S-Class hero, next to Genos.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

So what exactly are these redraws released for? The Phoenix man fight feels like a year ago, hasn't it been published in volumes already?

Loved both versions. I'm fine with Murata retelling every battle with "what if Saitama passed by?".

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

ChaseSP posted:

So you like the two S-Class heros that have the ability to physically be destroyed then come back for more?

Sub Harrison posted:

So what exactly are these redraws released for? The Phoenix man fight feels like a year ago, hasn't it been published in volumes already?

Loved both versions. I'm fine with Murata retelling every battle with "what if Saitama passed by?".

Seems like it ties in with new stuff in the ONE version better, but telling how would be spoilers so I wont.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i wont lie Homeless Emperor really owns

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Sub Harrison posted:

Generally Murata redraws before they go into volume, so the updated version is what goes into it, but it looks like those chapters JUST got published in a volume last christmas. Anyways these re-draws are basically Murata tying into One's original OPM comic which has started having new chapters released. Like originally they were just an excuse to draw a ridiculous fight, but now they have some foreshadowing stuff, like Saitama being called baldy.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I accidentally read one of the older versions along with all the new ones. I really like the new version better, the older one dragged on for way too long, specially the seconds left on the armor stuff. This is way better paced, funnier, and more insightful on characters.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Spoilered just in case I guess.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

ChaseSP posted:

If you mean personality-wise, or just good-natured-ness, I have to enter Darkshine into the mix. He's just so jovial!

Actually Silverfang seems pretty chill as well...

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Super Rad posted:

Why do you say that? It's still in as far as I'm aware - they just get resurrected by Pheonix since their corpses fell into that chamber. The ninjas even comment that the last thing they remember was fighting Flashy Flash. That part isn't even new to this redraw, it was a part of the first one.

Oh yeah, right. It's been long enough since I read the original Phoenixman battle that I don't remember if it happened before or after this fight. But that makes sense.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Flython posted:

Yeah those redraws did absolutely nothing for me. It's a real shame that he's spent so much time on the least interesting part of the current arc. The difference in quality is made all the more apparent by the next chapter being Zombieman vs the vampire which is truly excellent.

Edit - https://mangadex.org/chapter/918406
https://mangadex.org/chapter/918701
https://mangadex.org/chapter/918876/1
Is there a way to view these as one long full-size strip, rather than one image at a time?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Is there a way to view these as one long full-size strip, rather than one image at a time?

If you're on desktop, it's one of the buttons on the side. If you're on mobile, it's in the gear.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Sub Harrison posted:

This series has gotta be a nightmare to publish for, has more recuts than Blade Runner

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Parrotine posted:

This series has gotta be a nightmare to publish for, has more recuts than Blade Runner

Not to mention that if the next season of the anime was under production (not sure what the status of that is) these changes would be causing major problems.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Murata just starts narrating the pages, using different voices for the characters.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Bucswabe posted:

Redraws were worth it for that page alone.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Murata will redraw Covid out of reality.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Parrotine posted:

on the other hand, imagine how many more duplicate copies you can sell with reprints

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

on the other hand, imagine how many more duplicate copies you can sell with reprints

It's true, one kind of neat (and sort of unprecedented) thing is that we actually get to see how some of the story could have unfolded differently in alternate realities!

Always wanted to do that with stories that I really enjoy...

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I actually liked the Child Emperor fight so I'm not unhappy to see it redone or anything, but I thought it had already been redrawn like twice before now? I guess they'll also have to edit in Saitama splitting up from the children somehow.

You Birdbrain another day you strange suit man you.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Child Emporer's mech using a jump-rope shield and the many transformations and power changes associated with changing costumes really drove home that this was a child fighting a cartoon and I very much appreciate that.

Also this is like the first time they've interacted since Saitama, him, Fubuki and King had to stop that spider monster I think. Next interaction outside of this arc is like 4 years away.15 if Murata doesn't stop redrawing the manga to add more foreshadowing and try to fake this being a cohesive story.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I don't care if Saitama talks to Child Emperor. Or if he talks to Drive Knight, Metal Knight, Zombie Man or any other hero that he's had minimal contact with.

Please just move the story along, or pad it out with him talking to awesome characters like Monako or Mumen Rider.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

The redraw was really good and goofy

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

oh jay posted:

I don't care if Saitama talks to Child Emperor. Or if he talks to Drive Knight, Metal Knight, Zombie Man or any other hero that he's had minimal contact with.

Please just move the story along, or pad it out with him talking to awesome characters like Monako or Mumen Rider.

nah it's good to see how he reacts and interacts with everyone

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
This new fight in two gifs I can't look for on my phone.

Adventure Time, Ice King: Welcome to my Imagination Zone.

The Simpsons, Duff Man: Duff Man can never die! Only the actors who play him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
The Phoenixman fight is probably the worst part of the manga, imo. I can't tell if Murata cut out a lot of the ridiculous endless power treadmilling or not though. Child Emperor just kept pulling dumb robots out of his rear that have infinite power or whatever.

I guess I need to go back and re-read that section with the new parts in and the old parts out because at this point. I've got it mixed in my head what part of the fight is canon and not, but I didn't like any iteration of the fight, so I'm not sure I want to. :sigh:

I think this version is better, but it's so mixed up with the other versions that I found myself bored the entire time. Phoenixman trying to convince Child Emperor to join him and Zombieman calling at that exact time with that exact message felt silly, imo.

Saitama punching his way into a psychic realm was pretty good, (and highlights how he's invincible in every sense - he couldn't even be defeated psychically if he were ever attacked that way.)

And I really loved Saitama grabbing Phoenixman's arm at the end. It made Child Emperor feel not-invincible without taking away his victory, if that makes sense.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 11, 2020