Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Everyone posted:

I'd be fine with a Dresden animated series, especially if they got Paul Blackthorne to voice Dresden.

I don't think COVID-19 was some Evil Yellow Peril Scheme, but I have zero trouble believing that the Chinese government botched the detection and response on multiple levels and engaged in denial and cover-ups to dodge blame and shield their own asses.

Thinking along those lines, has any urban fantasy been adapted into animation? I don't want Harry Potter to count (and not sure if there's any adaptations there even if it did)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

tentacles posted:

Thinking along those lines, has any urban fantasy been adapted into animation? I don't want Harry Potter to count (and not sure if there's any adaptations there even if it did)

Little Witch Academia is super inspired by Harry Potter, and Grim Grimoire is a thinly veiled Harry Potter knockoff in places.

But beyond that I can't think of any adaptations. Red Garden's a straight urban fantasy anime in the western sense (even set in New York!) but it's not an adaptation.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Kchama posted:

So I listened to that I Don't Even Own A Television podcast on the Dresden Files first book and man I was disappointed. It was like an hour and forty minutes long and the podcast spent roughly 20 minutes talking about the book and about an hour and twenty minutes rambling and rambling about completely unrelated things. If I hadn't read the book I wouldn't even have the slightest clue what happened in the books. I guess you can't really do a deep dive on a book with a single hour and 40 minute episode but there really wasn't a dive at all. It was a shame.

That isn't really their remit. They're a fun comedy show, with goofy games and cheap shots at bad books. That they're doing something as popular as Dresden is a rarity. Mostly they're picking up crap from dollar bins that no one, especially them, really wants to do do a deep dive into and poking fun at it.

tentacles posted:

Barring some superhero adjacent stuff, like the Justice League Dark stuff, western animation doesn't seem particularly interested in adapting much of anything that isn't in capes or classic cartoons these days. Meanwhile anime stuff is usually loosely adapted....like Little Witch Academia, which takes the idea of a school for young witches and animes all over it....or is an adaptation of manga, like Ancient Magus Bride. That said, if you're anime-tolerant, there's a LOT of urban fantasy animation to be found over on Crunchyroll or Funimation.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

jng2058 posted:

That isn't really their remit. They're a fun comedy show, with goofy games and cheap shots at bad books. That they're doing something as popular as Dresden is a rarity. Mostly they're picking up crap from dollar bins that no one, especially them, really wants to do do a deep dive into and poking fun at it.

It seems like a real miss then when they kept mentioning how they're a 'bad book podcast' but the book didn't even really feature in it at all. And they weren't even particularly funny. The best parts is when they actually talked about the book, you know, the supposed point of the podcast. But I had to sit through way too long of them talking about dumb poo poo that has nothing to do with the subject and endless digressions and wow-ee, just what I wanted from a bad book podcast. Like, I even looked it up to see if it was suppose to be actually a bad-book podcast and not a 'fun comedy show' that just happens to have a bad book component, and their webpage claims that it is, indeed, to 'guide you through' bad books.

They didn't even talk about the bad book.

Hard pass on them for me, is my take.

EDIT: I mean, the idea that nobody wants to hear them do a deep dive or any kind of dive into the books their reading is just kind of confusing considering it seems like the purpose and would be a lot more fun then what they actually do. I actually listen to a podcast whose entire gimmick is deep dives where they spent a solid half-dozen episodes on terrible books like Ready Player One, Armada, Trucking Through Time, and "The Forensic Certified Public Accountant and the Cremated 64-SQUARES Financial Statements" and it's amazing fun. So the super shallow thing I got out of IDEOTV just really disappointed me.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 2, 2020

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

tentacles posted:

If you want to slot Hellboy in to UF, there are a couple of animated features.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

tentacles posted:

Not 'adapted', but the first season of Legend of Korra was very much urban fantasy, I can't remember how urban the later seasons were though.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tentacles posted:

I don't know exactly how "Urban Fantasy" it was(never got around to watching it), but the CW has a John Constantine animated thing with Matt Ryan voicing Constantine.

Not for nothing, but I can't say enough good things about Matt Ryan as John Constantine. The overall effect is that of John Constantine having walked from his own dimension into ours and is now playing himself on a TV show while probably attempting to corral a demon or two. Ryan is Constantine.

Somehow I just lost track of Legends of Tomorrow over last summer and with all the COVID poo poo I just forgot when it was coming back on. I guess I'll need to catch up via Netflix later this year.

Here's the link to Constantine: City of Demons. You'll need to disable any Ad-blockers or it won't play.

https://www.cwseed.com/shows/constantine-city-of-demons/city-of-demons-part-one/?play=37d18740-5011-46f1-a2e8-bba97545b492

Everyone fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 2, 2020

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

tentacles posted:

Would you count Pratchett's stuff?

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Holy crap so many good recommendations! Thanks for the heads-ups thread

Kchama posted:

Little Witch Academia is super inspired by Harry Potter, and Grim Grimoire is a thinly veiled Harry Potter knockoff in places.

But beyond that I can't think of any adaptations. Red Garden's a straight urban fantasy anime in the western sense (even set in New York!) but it's not an adaptation.

Red Garden completely flew under my radar, will check it out! Wasn't specifically looking for adaptations, just anything that lives in the same space as Harry and his derivatives

jng2058 posted:

Barring some superhero adjacent stuff, like the Justice League Dark stuff, western animation doesn't seem particularly interested in adapting much of anything that isn't in capes or classic cartoons these days. Meanwhile anime stuff is usually loosely adapted....like Little Witch Academia, which takes the idea of a school for young witches and animes all over it....or is an adaptation of manga, like Ancient Magus Bride. That said, if you're anime-tolerant, there's a LOT of urban fantasy animation to be found over on Crunchyroll or Funimation.

Haha my anime watching tends to lean more towards Ghost in the Shell (even the recent Netflix take on it) but I'll take a look

Ornamented Death posted:

If you want to slot Hellboy in to UF, there are a couple of animated features.

But are they voiced by Ron Perlman?

Cicero posted:

Not 'adapted', but the first season of Legend of Korra was very much urban fantasy, I can't remember how urban the later seasons were though.

LoK rates high on my cherished treasures list. Think it got a bad rap, I try to think of it as a separate thing from Avatar (nothing can live up to that hype). The series as a whole leans heavily more towards the fantasy aspects of the genre, does make you wonder if urban fantasy is really urban fantasy if it isn't set in a real-world equivalent city though

Everyone posted:

Constantine

I gotta check Ryan out =O) I reread the entire Hellblazer run on biannual basis and though it leans more towards the horror end of the spectrum, he's essentially proto-Harry in a different setting. Anybody who can do him justice sounds amazing

Avalerion posted:

Would you count Pratchett's stuff?

Are you thinking Discworld or Good Omens? Didn't know either had animated works

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There’s 2 Discworld adaptations, Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music, of ok-ish quality. Soul Music is a little better than Wyrd Sisters.

As the whole Discworld concept is fantastical/parody high fantasy, I wouldn’t count them as urban fantasy. UF to me means ‘ostensibly our world, but peak around the right corner...’

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

tentacles posted:

But are they voiced by Ron Perlman?

They are, in fact.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I don't know if it necessarily fits the thread but Tor has Seanan McGuire Every Heart a Doorway free this month. I haven't read it but I've been wanting to.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

tentacles posted:

Holy crap so many good recommendations! Thanks for the heads-ups thread

Red Garden completely flew under my radar, will check it out! Wasn't specifically looking for adaptations, just anything that lives in the same space as Harry and his derivatives

I don't think I've ever met anyone who even heard of Red Garden as it's a shame as I thought it was quite great.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Chapter 1 of Peace Talks is up on Jim's website if you haven't already read that back when it was a Kickstarter thing for the Dresden card game

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tentacles posted:

I gotta check Ryan out =O) I reread the entire Hellblazer run on biannual basis and though it leans more towards the horror end of the spectrum, he's essentially proto-Harry in a different setting. Anybody who can do him justice sounds amazing

Honestly, he's really not, depending on which Harry you're referencing. Potter and Dresden have a bit of the "Chosen One" vibe about them. John Constantine is far from a Chosen One. If you choose him it's because you've run completely out of safer, saner options.

Harry Potter ends his series defeating Voldemort through courage, will and the Power of Friendship.

Young John Constantine would probably trick the Sytherine students into sacrificing themselves in a weird spell that called up a Demon Lord who woud drag Voldemort, Dumbledore, Hogwarts itself and the large majority of the faculty to some hideous hell dimension.

Because they were all Wizard Child Molesters or something.

If you wanted to compare Constantine to a modern wizard book protagonist, a better fit would be Alex Verus from Benedict Jacka's series.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 3, 2020

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

young john constantine would somehow help voldemort escape from azkaban or wherever and then adult john constantine would trick him into going back (but only after he's killed a fair number of constantine's friends and/or family, never constantine himself)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Also John Constantine would *probably* not say any of the magnificently stupid poo poo Dresden has said over the years except to piss people off (whereas the Dresden character genuinely believes the chud poo poo he says).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Whereas recently it came out that one of Constantine’s exes was King Shark. :dance:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

The_Doctor posted:

Whereas recently it came out that one of Constantine’s exes was King Shark. :dance:

I guess he took "Suck my dick, I'm a shark!" literally and was into it?

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Just want to say thanks to whoever recommended Agyar as a good Vampire story.

It was very well written with some interesting characters. Plus I bought a cheap paperback copy and last night I used it to swat a scarily large wasp.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I guess he took "Suck my dick, I'm a shark!" literally and was into it?

Sometimes you go skinny-dipping in shark-infested waters and... things happens. As long as you don't play "The Love Theme from Jaws loud enough to disturb the neighbors, everything's cool.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I know we've all gone back and forth in this thread about Butcher's many shortcomings and I fully understand if you've quit on the series, but I need someone listen to me rant about Butcher writing other characters that are not Dresden. I finally read Brief Cases for the first time on my re-read in anticipation for Peace Talks and... man that last short story (Harry, Maggie and Mouse go to the Zoo) and what a clunker. The book is split into 3 PoVs. Butcher writes Non-Dresden Characters like they're Dresden roleplaying them in a D&D campaign. Every adult character has the same male-gazey creepy teenage goony mentality that Dresden has (which my younger self would have brushed off and my older self just eye-rolls at), but the last story is especially bad. Maggie... seems to have a ridiculously complex internal monologue for a 10 year old (maybe I'm not giving 10 year old enough credit) and Mouse's internal monologue doesn't really fit with how he was portrayed in Changes when everyone could understand him. I get that "dog would adopt his owner's mannerisms" but sheesh.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Xtanstic posted:

I know we've all gone back and forth in this thread about Butcher's many shortcomings and I fully understand if you've quit on the series, but I need someone listen to me rant about Butcher writing other characters that are not Dresden. I finally read Brief Cases for the first time on my re-read in anticipation for Peace Talks and... man that last short story (Harry, Maggie and Mouse go to the Zoo) and what a clunker. The book is split into 3 PoVs. Butcher writes Non-Dresden Characters like they're Dresden roleplaying them in a D&D campaign. Every adult character has the same male-gazey creepy teenage goony mentality that Dresden has (which my younger self would have brushed off and my older self just eye-rolls at), but the last story is especially bad. Maggie... seems to have a ridiculously complex internal monologue for a 10 year old (maybe I'm not giving 10 year old enough credit) and Mouse's internal monologue doesn't really fit with how he was portrayed in Changes when everyone could understand him. I get that "dog would adopt his owner's mannerisms" but sheesh.

Yeah I was reading some urban fantasy (non Dresden) and it’s kinda bad how a smart rear end wizard, teenagers, spirits, 300 years old people, old gods etc all talk kinda like... the same

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 10, 2020

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ZZZorcerer posted:

Yeah I was reading some urban fantasy (non Dresden) and it’s kinda bad how a smart rear end wizard, teenagers, spirits, 300 years old people, old gods etc all talk kinda like... the same

David Eddings syndrome. Characters started with different voices but over time they all became the same smug smart-rear end.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I feel like we should quarantine Dresden stuff to its own thread at this point.

I appreciate the irony of this.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Everyone posted:

David Eddings syndrome. Characters started with different voices but over time they all became the same smug smart-rear end.

Oh my god, you nailed it. I lived his books growing up but now it's the same 3 characters over and over (the gruff smug old X with a heart of gold, the 'wiser than her years but still upsettingly young' young woman who has set her sights on him , and the sexy naughty outlaw of some sort (any gender)who is possibly a romantic rival)

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like we should quarantine Dresden stuff to its own thread at this point.

I appreciate the irony of this.

The real irony is that this WAS the Dresden thread and it changed over time when he didn't release any books for so long into the general Urban Fantasy thread.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

At this point I think it would be better for anyone interested in enjoying Dresden to discuss it somewhere else, I'm certainly not interested in talking about it in this environment. Most people here have good reasons to dislike it so even a separate thread would become pretty unpleasant in short order.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Daric posted:

The real irony is that this WAS the Dresden thread and it changed over time when he didn't release any books for so long into the general Urban Fantasy thread.

Yes, that’s what I meant.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I assumed you were referring to his thoughts on COVID

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Daric posted:

I assumed you were referring to his thoughts on COVID

Oh ha, double meaning! Also true.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

CainsDescendant posted:

At this point I think it would be better for anyone interested in enjoying Dresden to discuss it somewhere else, I'm certainly not interested in talking about it in this environment. Most people here have good reasons to dislike it so even a separate thread would become pretty unpleasant in short order.

:yeah:

Has anybody else read The City We Became yet? Because I finished it over the weekend and it's awesome and I want the sequel but have to wait.

Damnit.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Xtanstic posted:

I wanted to like due to the Dresden drought, but yeah, it was silly and not in a good way. Harry goes to the zoo and has to secretlyish fight off demons. But then Maggie has to super-secretly fight off some, I dunno, kiddie demons or something. But wait, during all of this, Mouse has to fight off a super-duper-ooper-pooper secret threat underneath it all.

I get what Butcher was trying to do, mostly, but the operative word here is "trying."

It's odd because he has done other viewpoints before. Johnny Marcone in his story is very different from Dresden. And yeah, he gets hate from here, but so is Thomas. In this one... Dresdenitus seemed to infect everyone viewpoint.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Well if we had a separate Dresden thread it would likely be a "I came to bury Dresden, not to praise." except it wouldn't be a clever rhetorical flourish but the honest truth.

This thread could be that too, of course.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
If only Dresden really did die doing the right thing.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

If only Dresden really did die doing the right thing.

He did. He just got better from it.

For my part I'm looking forward to 16 and 17, problematic writing or not. I'll likely be a little more sensitive to the "chudy" bits due to this thread, but I still fully expect to enjoy both books and whatever comes next.

There's a chain restaurant called Krystal's in my area. If you're familiar with White Castle (even from Harold and Kumar), they're basically White Castle. They serve hot, greasy burgers that are trashily delicious in the moment. They might turn into sodden lumps of fat in your gut, but while they're hot and ready... yummm.

Maybe there'll be problems with it. Maybe Ivy will show up and turn out to have her own new set of "bodacious tatas" and Dresden will consider whether Maggie will get awesome tits, too, ala our own PotUS. Even with that I expect a fun, funny, trash junk read action ride. And that'll be good enough to keep me as a fan.

Sometimes you want great, insightful literature, the book equivalent of a gourmet vegan meal. But sometimes you just want a "chili-dawg." Butcher gives good chili-dawg.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
In this metaphor, the Dresden Files are a loving McDonald's value menu burger that you were dumb enough to wait forty minutes for instead of just loving leaving to get something better.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

In this metaphor, the Dresden Files are a loving McDonald's value menu burger that you were dumb enough to wait forty minutes for instead of just loving leaving to get something better.

This is not to say that Dresden is good, but you're taking this very personally. Maybe take a break from this thread?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

In bear's world, it seems you can read only a single UF series, ever. Instead of, I dunno, reading other series while waiting for the next Dresden book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

At this point I'll read Peace Talks out of morbid curiosity if for no other reason. We'll see if the magic comes back. If so, hooray, if not it's a couple hours of my life, either way there's plenty else to read. Butcher's clearly a bit of a dumbass but his isn't the worst opinion I've seen expressed about COVID, and he's certainly not in the running for the Orson Scott Card Lifetime Achievement Award For gently caress You No More Money Ever Again Even Though I Used To Love Your Work the way certain other authors are at the moment..

Unrelated: I've seen Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor being talked up a bit and was wondering if anyone had read it and had any thoughts. Thinking I'll give it a shot.