Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
https://twitter.com/iequalshane/status/1264352981153013760

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ah gently caress yeah, now we're talkin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

40-Degree Day posted:

I followed this reddit comment:

This did the trick, thanks! I'm realizing that I've never actually played through Final Fight (Sega kid so for me it was Streets of Rage 2 and 3). Definitely on the schedule for this weekend.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

No joke, but I'm legit excited for this. All Sega hardware preservation efforts warm my old heart.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Since the Atari Forums are still MIA, Sorgelig set up a new forum specifically for MiSTer at misterfpga.org.

I'm still waiting on my e-mail to verify my account before I can log in, but apparently there's also some sort of post moderation for new users that goes away pretty quickly.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Thats awesome. MISTer has really needed a central location for the community to discuss the project, which would help with new people getting started.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Kreeblah posted:

If this ends up being finalized, it'd be a little more like a piece of AV equipment.

https://twitter.com/sentientsixp/status/1263890025529380865

Well, I know what case i'm getting when I finally bite the MiSTer bullet. I love the 70's Hi-Fi aesthetic this has going on.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Kreeblah posted:

I don't know that the DE10-Nano can boot off of anything other than a microSD card. I'm pretty sure MiSTer can only use hard drives for additional storage for cores and games and such because of that, rather than being able to boot the OS off of it, too.

I've never actually tried using one, though, so I'm not 100% sure on that. I load everything but the OS and the RBF/MRA files directly off my NAS, which has way more storage than I'd be able to get out of a 2.5" hard drive anyway.

Just with the current firmware or period? Without having looked into it a all, it might not be too difficult to boot it from a NOR flash chip which are way more reliable than an SD card and interfaced via SPI which shouldn't be too hard. They're not very big though, the ones I have are 8MB though you can get them up to 256MB at least. Still, enough to have U-Boot, a kernel, and an initramfs on there which could possibly PXE boot or continue loading from another device which has linux drivers. Or if you have one of the bigger flash chips a more purpose built linux on a compressed filesystem.

But like I said I've just used other ARM linux boards quite a bit, it might be that the de10 linux uses tons of proprietary binary blobs that would tie you to their build of the kernel at least.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Forseti posted:

Just with the current firmware or period? Without having looked into it a all, it might not be too difficult to boot it from a NOR flash chip which are way more reliable than an SD card and interfaced via SPI which shouldn't be too hard. They're not very big though, the ones I have are 8MB though you can get them up to 256MB at least. Still, enough to have U-Boot, a kernel, and an initramfs on there which could possibly PXE boot or continue loading from another device which has linux drivers. Or if you have one of the bigger flash chips a more purpose built linux on a compressed filesystem.

But like I said I've just used other ARM linux boards quite a bit, it might be that the de10 linux uses tons of proprietary binary blobs that would tie you to their build of the kernel at least.

I mean, I could be misreading the manual, but I don't see anything in there about a boot option other than the microSD card. You can configure the FPGA directly via a USB Blaster, but that's not really the same thing (and way less useful).

The DE10 Nano does have SPI pins, though, so if those can be used for booting, that could be interesting. I don't see any info about doing that, though.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Yeah I don't see it in that manual either. I tried to find the user manual for the SoC itself but only came up with the data sheet in my cursory search and this manual for I think a different Cyclone V dev board? Anyway it talks about setting boot jumpers to select an SPI flash among other options on page 2-19 (real page 27) so I think it is probably possible at least for the SoC to do. Maybe they didn't break those selector pins out on the de10 nano though.

Could just be not enough benefit that anyone's really tried too hard. NOR should be more reliable but I was under the impression from various Raspberry Pi related readings that it's not really that these days the name brand cards are pretty reliable. It also makes it more difficult to flash in a lot of cases, I think it's a lot easier for most people to work with an SD card.

I might add it to my "projects I want to do" pile that only ever gets bigger :v:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Sounds like they might have finally been able to track down the FF3 and SoM bugs that a few people saw. srg320 was able to get his hands on some hardware that was having issues, and it seems like he and Sorgelig were able to figure out what was causing it.

If anybody has been having the graphic corruption issue with those games, there's a test build on the new forums that people have been saying fixes it for them.

Edit: Looks like it got merged into an official release, along with a bunch of other fixes.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 30, 2020

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I really want to set up a MiSTer but I’m a bit confused with all the options.
I can order the DE-10 Nano local in Japan where I live but otherwise I’d probably use MiSTer Addons.
I’d be primarily using it on a PC VGA Monitor (probably at 480p), and possibly on my PVM if the mood strikes me, so I would order the VGA to SCART adapter. Finally I’d use the HDMI to a modern PC monitor occasionally too I think.

As far as controllers, I read through the recent input latency document and I was thinking of ordering the Hori Fighting Commander for PS4, meaning I’d use one USB port.
I don’t often play with other people but it would be nice to have the option in the future.
Original controllers would be nice but I’m not sure if this means I have to get a Blister, or if there is some other method. This isn’t crucial as I’d rather just have one dedicated controller.
If the PSX core gets finished and works well the option to use a DS4 or something with analog sticks would be nice.

I know the basic parts I need are:
DE-10 Nano
128mb ram upgrade
IO board to get VGA out
Probably the Noctua fan because Japan is hot as heck

What I’m unsure about:
Do I need any other boards for controllers or multiple USB ports?
How do I know what cases will fit the combination of boards I wind up with?

The new case MisterAddons is working on looks really nice but would it be overkill if I only use USB controllers?

Sorry for the big wall of text but I’d really like to jump into this community.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

There's a usb board but it's not required, a hub like this can do the trick: https://www.amazon.com/MakerSpot-Accessories-Charging-Extension-Raspberry/dp/B01JL837X8/

You need at least that because the port on the DE10-Nano is a micro-usb, like a phone

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Original controllers could be handled via a BlisSTer or USB converters. The Bliss Box folks make one (the Gamer Pro, which is a USB adaptor that uses the same adaptors as the BlisSTer and is additionally compatible with LLAPI if you get a level shifter with it), or you could go for something like the Raphnet adaptors instead. Well, I guess technically you could also get a SNAC, but those aren't supported by as many cores.

For USB type A ports (the regular rectangular style), you'll need some type of adaptor. The BlisSTer has four of them on it, and the official USB board has five, but you can also use that MakerSpot board if you want. I did have some trouble with the MakerSpot one (which I used before I got my BlisSTer), but I suspect it was a power issue. Basically, my Wheel Mouse Optical wouldn't work, and I have a feeling it was trying to draw too much power. I ended up pulling out a powered hub and plugged it into the MakerSpot hub, and plugged my mouse into that, which worked.

But, yeah, for what you want to do, it sounds like you probably want a DE-10 Nano, a 128MB SDRAM board, an IO board, and some sort of USB solution. A Noctua fan is a nice to have, but not 100% essential (I'd still recommend it if you can afford to spring for one, though). Oh, and you'll also want a USB keyboard for it, at least for setting things up. You need that to navigate the menus until you have a controller set up.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Thanks for the replies! I think I'm starting to visualize what I need.
The Blister might be overkill for what I need, I think for now I'll go with just the USB board. Mister Addons said they might start selling prebuilt units soon, and while I could handle building the thing I might save myself the headache.

A question about using a VGA monitor: how is the forced scan doubler support?
From what I understand it's done on a per core basis.
Is it par for the course or is it more of a rarity?
I'd also be curious if it adds any lag.

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Ask me about Verethragna!
I'm using a VGA 20" LCD in 1600x1200. Once I figured out the correct setup, I have not run into any problems with scaling or graphics.
(not using the scandoubler, I'm using the internal integer scaler)
Since it's an old LCD, it probably does add some lag. But I'm not sensitive to that.
I do have the Hori Fighting Commander btw, and it feels pretty good on the Mister. I also have a MadCatz TE2+ arcade stick and it works pretty well. (with one exception, iirc I had to switch UP and DOWN inputs in the Genesis core, for some reason)

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Ah ok, I think I misunderstood. I didn't realize the MiSTer itself could integer scale. Thanks for the info!

I can't wait to order my set up. Hopefully covid doesn't cause any serious shipping delays.
I live in Japan and I'm not sure if and how long they are holding international packages at the moment.

What are people using for storage these days? I saw USB storage was made easier in an update last year. I assume a powered 3.5" external drive would cause the least amount of issues vs. a USB powered 2.5.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Pegnose Pete posted:

Ah ok, I think I misunderstood. I didn't realize the MiSTer itself could integer scale. Thanks for the info!

I can't wait to order my set up. Hopefully covid doesn't cause any serious shipping delays.
I live in Japan and I'm not sure if and how long they are holding international packages at the moment.

What are people using for storage these days? I saw USB storage was made easier in an update last year. I assume a powered 3.5" external drive would cause the least amount of issues vs. a USB powered 2.5.

I've got mine pulling all my games directly over the network from my NAS, with the OS, configs, RBFs, and MRAs being all that I have stored on the microSD card. I've got my MiSTer connected via ethernet, though. I'm not sure I'd try doing something like this with wifi.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Ooh I have a nice NAS setup actually with the Everdrive packs etc already on there. But running an ethernet cable around my apartment might upset my wife and baby...not having to buy a USB drive though, might be worth the risk.

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Yeah, I'm using wifi for MiSTer updates and it's not super reliable.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Anyone have any opinions on using MIDI to USB connections? I know the Roland one is recommended for most Retro PC stuff, I just don't want to spend $60 on a cable. I'm trying to prepare myself for the true X68k experience.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

2reachmu posted:

Anyone have any opinions on using MIDI to USB connections? I know the Roland one is recommended for most Retro PC stuff, I just don't want to spend $60 on a cable. I'm trying to prepare myself for the true X68k experience.

I haven't actually tried hooking my MT-32 up to my MiSTer, but when I originally got it and connected it to my laptop, I did a lot of looking around and found that the Roland one was basically the only reliable one. Maybe things have changed since then, but I dunno.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Well I pulled the trigger and ordered pretty much everything for a MiSTer set up.
I really wanted to support MiSTer Addons because he seems like a great guy, but shipping to my region via USPS cost an arm and a leg (Like, Analogue levels). No fault to website itself, I just shouldn't have moved abroad I guess.
Anyway I ended up going with the UK based MisterFPGA site and got 5% off from a YouTube channel referral.

The only thing I'm missing is a case. I can't find anybody shipping decent stuff internationally for a reasonable price.

Anyway my kit looks like this:
DE10-Nano w/regular heatsink
IO Board v 6.1 XL with Noctua Fan
128mb SDRAM
USB Hub v 2.1
RTC v 1.3

Controller: Hori Fighting Commander
Can't wait to get tinkering with this thing while I still have extra time at home.

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

You might wanna wait for the case, there are some really nice looking ones (and functional) in development right now.
I got my mister as a bundle second hand, it's one of Antonio Villena's.
I do NOT recommend AV, sadly. Apparently some of his components are made by him and the compatibility with other manufacturers is not clear. Also the case he designed is terrible.
(the plastic cracked under my fingers when I picked the case up to connect my USBs. Also the USB hub can be disconnected by gently pressing on the actual USB connector. Also the ON/OFF button is placed directly next to the VGA slot, and most VGA connectors press the button down when plugged in. I had to shave down the side of my VGA cable to avoid that.)

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

JanPospisil posted:

You might wanna wait for the case, there are some really nice looking ones (and functional) in development right now.
I got my mister as a bundle second hand, it's one of Antonio Villena's.
I do NOT recommend AV, sadly. Apparently some of his components are made by him and the compatibility with other manufacturers is not clear. Also the case he designed is terrible.
(the plastic cracked under my fingers when I picked the case up to connect my USBs. Also the USB hub can be disconnected by gently pressing on the actual USB connector. Also the ON/OFF button is placed directly next to the VGA slot, and most VGA connectors press the button down when plugged in. I had to shave down the side of my VGA cable to avoid that.)

Sorry you got burned.
What cases are you following?
I know MiSTer Addons has a cool looking passive cooling case in the works, but it's really hot in my office where I live so I figured active cooling was a better idea.
I've seen the acrylic plates for sale on etsy by Lady Maggies that look pretty nice. Again though, shipping costs as much as the item itself.
I'm surprised there aren't more options on ebay or Ali Express.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Pegnose Pete posted:

Sorry you got burned.
What cases are you following?
I know MiSTer Addons has a cool looking passive cooling case in the works, but it's really hot in my office where I live so I figured active cooling was a better idea.
I've seen the acrylic plates for sale on etsy by Lady Maggies that look pretty nice. Again though, shipping costs as much as the item itself.
I'm surprised there aren't more options on ebay or Ali Express.

There's a retweet at the top of the page that has a lot of attention right now. How far away that one is to production is a mystery.

The "official" MiSTer case is a getting a passive cool refresh I think. But, the way it is currently is perfectly fine depending on your extra board usage.

Additionally, I am making some attempts at twisting the arm of the guy from Buttercade to give a pass at it with some features/component slotting I think might be useful.

Kreeblah posted:

I haven't actually tried hooking my MT-32 up to my MiSTer, but when I originally got it and connected it to my laptop, I did a lot of looking around and found that the Roland one was basically the only reliable one. Maybe things have changed since then, but I dunno.

Outboard MIDI and soft-midi seems to be a dark art to which I can find little info on. I've seen enough soft-midi and Roland emulators to know the gist of getting it running on a normal PCs using a windows tablet or some Mini-PCs. There's also some youtube videos of people using sound tests on MiSTer but that doesn't tell me much. And finding resources for a full-sized MIDI port to attach to a MiSTer doesn't yield much in the way of results either.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I have a 128gb sd card that hosts cores, rbfs, MRAs and so forth, and I even have the SM packs for the cartridge systems and NeoGeo stored in that card, but I have only a small, curated set of bin/cues for SegaCD and PCE-CD in case I ever take my MiSTer out of the apartment.

But when it’s in the apartment, it auto-CIFS_mounts my network’s Games share and unlocks the full romsets for those consoles.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sega System 16 is being worked on by Mister X.

Irem M62 hardware was implemented and released today.

quote:

Games supported are :

Lode Runner 1-4
Kung Fu Master
Horizon
Battle Road
Spelunker 1-2
Kid Niki
Youjyudn

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

Sega System 16 is being worked on by Mister X.

Irem M62 hardware was implemented and released today.

quote:

Games supported are :

Lode Runner 1-4
Kung Fu Master
Horizon
Battle Road
Spelunker 1-2
Kid Niki
Youjyudn

Worth noting:

1) The player sprites of KFM, KNRN and Lode Runner all have their colors wrong. Thomas in KFM has a green head - it's pretty lol right now.
2) Don't sleep on Horizon - it feels like the missing link between, say, Moon Patrol and Magmax.
3) Arcade Spelunker can take a fall and do a tuck-and-roll.
4) Using analog on this core right now will produce some really awful jank - alanswx is aware that the video timing is off, but still wanted to get the core out there.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I'm so happy about Spelunker.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

How do I enable the cheats menu for some of the cores? I was watching Jeff Gerstmann from Giant Bomb play a Genesis shooter and he was able to pull up a menu with a list of Game Genie style cheats. The only page I could find on the Mister mentioned a page where you could look up individual games and download a set of codes for individual games. Is there an option aside from downloading cheats for each individual game separately?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Jolo posted:

How do I enable the cheats menu for some of the cores? I was watching Jeff Gerstmann from Giant Bomb play a Genesis shooter and he was able to pull up a menu with a list of Game Genie style cheats. The only page I could find on the Mister mentioned a page where you could look up individual games and download a set of codes for individual games. Is there an option aside from downloading cheats for each individual game separately?

If you use the updater script, it'll grab all the cheats available automatically and put them in the right locations.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
My DE-10 Nano arrived, but still waiting on my boards to be processed.

By the way, what is the current use for the secondary SD card slot on the IO board?
I recall some cores previously required them to function or for floppy emulation.

Can it be used as a secondary storage slot for cores and roms as well?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

This guy just made an update script that basically does it all in one place: official, jotego stuff, unofficial cores, MAME stuff, etc.

Pegnose Pete posted:

By the way, what is the current use for the secondary SD card slot on the IO board?
I recall some cores previously required them to function or for floppy emulation.

Can it be used as a secondary storage slot for cores and roms as well?

I think it's MSX and X86000 only. And I don't think it can be used to store things in a way that can be used like the main card.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Saoshyant posted:

This guy just made an update script that basically does it all in one place: official, jotego stuff, unofficial cores, MAME stuff, etc.

I think it's MSX and X86000 only. And I don't think it can be used to store things in a way that can be used like the main card.

Thanks! I may grab a small secondary card for those cores, especially if the X68000 becomes more stable in the future.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

MSX doesn't need it, X68000 does but it's being worked on now, as well as a beta PC-88 core which also currently needs it. When they are both finished, neither should use the secondary SD card. Don't bother.

elf help book fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 10, 2020

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Reporting in from a 38-year-old man who never touched a PC-88 until last weekend:

Holy poo poo does Super Mario Bros Special suck in a very very special kind of way.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Reporting in from a 38-year-old man who never touched a PC-88 until last weekend:

Holy poo poo does Super Mario Bros Special suck in a very very special kind of way.

Imagine clearing 8-1 on that stinker and getting this message

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Imagine clearing 8-1 on that stinker and getting this message

I hate myself and I must know

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
A CAVE 68000 core is in the works by nullobject (the Rygar core dev). Never played DoDonPachi, look forward to getting blown up hundreds of times.

This week I'll tidy up the OP with a list of the biggest developments that have happened since the thread was first posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there anyway to buy one of these already put together?