Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

wizzardstaff posted:

Cross-posting from the Oregoons thread:

Someone in that thread wanted to know what "taxing the rich" really means; in this case it's a 3.9% marginal tax on incomes over $165k. Full details of the plan are here: https://upnow2020.org/plan

It was super easy to fill this out and print it out and send it in. Two minutes tops. I'd encourage all Portland people to jump on it. Objectively good thing I had no idea about before wizzardstaff brought it up and something to actually get excited about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Eggnogium posted:

I mean that seems like a semantic argument. Looking at the spectrum of candidates from 2017 you can’t really argue she was on the left half. White NIMBYs didn’t vote for her because she was a breaker of glass ceilings, they voted for her because she would do whatever possible to make sure they could continue to pay low taxes, drive everywhere, and not have to look at homeless (or black) people too much. And cops are key to delivering on that last promise. The Obama-appointed, gay attorney thing is just a cover story for public comments and mixed company.

Oh, she's a total loving shitlib, and was endorsed by Tim loving Eyman. Do I think she's a loving crypto-fascist piece of poo poo with a few pro-LGBT bonafides? Yeah, abso-loving-lutely. But that's not what was put forth, and the Moon campaign did a really bad job of calling her out on it in the name of "decorum." I don't know if Nikkita Oliver would have won, but the race would sure as poo poo have been a lot loving different.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

FacebookEmpathyMom posted:

It was super easy to fill this out and print it out and send it in. Two minutes tops. I'd encourage all Portland people to jump on it. Objectively good thing I had no idea about before wizzardstaff brought it up and something to actually get excited about.

If I was in Multco I would do this. Before covid I was paying more for preschool for my son than I am on my mortgage payment. At a not super nice preschool run by a nonprofit.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
High schoolers out where I am organized a protest for this weekend. Crazies are planning on showing up to “protect the community”. All the business are boarding up. Going to be interesting. The protestors will be locals the crazies not...

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Yeah, the protest we are trying to plan in my little town outside Portland is the same way. A bunch of people on the Facebook group for our town keep posting that they don't want us to have a protest because "thugs and outsiders " will flood in and destroy downtown. They want us to go to downtown Portland. This is despite the fact that we are trying to plan a socially-distanced, family friendly event. With possible involvement from the mayor.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

therobit posted:

Yeah, the protest we are trying to plan in my little town outside Portland is the same way. A bunch of people on the Facebook group for our town keep posting that they don't want us to have a protest because "thugs and outsiders " will flood in and destroy downtown. They want us to go to downtown Portland. This is despite the fact that we are trying to plan a socially-distanced, family friendly event. With possible involvement from the mayor.

And then there's Forks, WA:

https://twitter.com/annamerlan/status/1268766198931484673?s=19

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

That's really Forksed up.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

1)Whoever wrote that article needs to take a grammar class.

2)WTF?

3) The gun shop owner is so clearly making poo poo up about the death threats to cover his own rear end.

4) I'm glad that today's youth are cool and good.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's probably fairly difficult to get decent talent at your newspaper when you're several hours away from any major metropolitan area and you can probably only afford to pay your employees in smiles and a firm handshake (and since Covid they've had to cut back on the firm handshakes).

As someone who was born in that shithole, my disgust with the whole affair was mildly offset by the kids.

mweb
Mar 14, 2019
:five: :nsamad:

Just got announced Whatcom county is heading into Phase 2 so I can look forward to getting a haircut next time I need one I guess

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

DrNutt posted:

It's probably fairly difficult to get decent talent at your newspaper when you're several hours away from any major metropolitan area and you can probably only afford to pay your employees in smiles and a firm handshake (and since Covid they've had to cut back on the firm handshakes).

As someone who was born in that shithole, my disgust with the whole affair was mildly offset by the kids.

IMO hire the highshcool kids to write for the newspaper. I bet they teach them grammar and they can do columns about helping people and chainsaw maintenance.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Forks, Washington is a former logging town where the primary industry is Twilight. It's where the books are set.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Thanatosian posted:

Forks, Washington is a former logging town where the primary industry is Twilight. It's where the books are set.

Correct, and given that the Twilight series has mostly faded into obscurity again, things generally haven't been looking great there. This news hit me really hard, not just because I'm from there, but because it really is an amazing place to go if you want to have access to some of the best scenery and wilderness the state has to offer. But your locals turning into Deliverance antagonists definitely isn't going to do much for tourism.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Even when Twilight was big, Port Angeles got more money from it than Forks did. I worked one summer cooking at a lodge halfway between the two, and our business was booming from people who went to Forks and turned around earlier than planned.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Peninsula Daily News is based out of Port Angeles and covers the entire peninsula.

The daily paper is like six pages and is almost entirely AP News wire articles. The rest is written by one guy, although they appear to have a couple people who take turns doing every other day.

Newspapers are dying Cloud.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ditocoaf posted:

Even when Twilight was big, Port Angeles got more money from it than Forks did. I worked one summer cooking at a lodge halfway between the two, and our business was booming from people who went to Forks and turned around earlier than planned.

Yup. Forks is really just too out of the way for anyone who isn't really committed to getting there.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Forks is cool. Shame about the people. High school students seem alright.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'm going to upgrade my assessment of Yakima county to Don't Go To Yakima County:

Also sounds like the Seattle city council is seriously discussing removing the mayor. Good.
https://twitter.com/CMTammyMorales/status/1269517252937674752?s=20

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
https://www.valleyrecord.com/news/how-a-man-from-california-caused-a-false-antifa-scare-in-north-bend/

What I saw was the nutters clustered way off at the gun store that’s not even in the downtown.

Crazy guy from CA accuses locals of being antifa terrorists. It’s amusing because this is a relatively small town. Like you walk around and recognize all the locals and even the local politicians small town. Good on Twede’s btw they let the high schoolers use their parking lot.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

I'm going to upgrade my assessment of Yakima county to Don't Go To Yakima County:

Also sounds like the Seattle city council is seriously discussing removing the mayor. Good.
https://twitter.com/CMTammyMorales/status/1269517252937674752?s=20

I believe removing her outright would require three more of the nine council members.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

The Oldest Man posted:

The Yakima thing is largely driven by the agricultural and food industries, and the Hispanic workers that work in them, getting absolutely hammered by COVID. There are more COVID cases in the state among Hispanic people than among white people right now even though the white population is far, far larger.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

Bar Ran Dun posted:

https://www.valleyrecord.com/news/how-a-man-from-california-caused-a-false-antifa-scare-in-north-bend/

What I saw was the nutters clustered way off at the gun store that’s not even in the downtown.

Crazy guy from CA accuses locals of being antifa terrorists. It’s amusing because this is a relatively small town. Like you walk around and recognize all the locals and even the local politicians small town. Good on Twede’s btw they let the high schoolers use their parking lot.

The goobers did this at the strip mall gun shop in Oly too, one of the local pigs is in big trouble because she took a photo with them where she is grinning and they are all flashing the OK. So much for the city managers advice to 'call the police if people with guns make you feel threatened' lol.

Also, I've been cracking up every time I remember that seattle applied to have the consent decree lifted last month.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I gotta say, y'all Seattle protesters are hard af. PDX thanks you for the inspiration. :love:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm impressed Seattle is pulling off basically OWS 2.0, but I suspect they might be abused again by overburdened homeless shelters and food banks. While the previous OWS were able to help they went into overdrive trying to keep people sheltered and fed, cutting into their organizational time.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

If I was a paranoid person, I'd suggest that the entire commune thing was allowed to happen by the local authorities as a way to de-legitimatize , draw attention from the protest, and distract from making achievable demands.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The demands are being made from inside city hall, my guy

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Peachfart posted:

If I was a paranoid person, I'd suggest that the entire commune thing was allowed to happen by the local authorities as a way to de-legitimatize , draw attention from the protest, and distract from making achievable demands.

I would be FASCINATED to know the inside scoop of what went on in Durkan's office and SPD leadership over the course of Monday. In the morning they were setting up bigger, stronger barricades than before like they were gearing up for another fight but with barricades that the protesters couldn't move this time, by the afternoon they were shredding documents and evacuating the evidence room. What meetings happened, who said what, and what did they think was going to happen?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I think it was a bet that without the high profile standoff things will fizzle out eventually. I don’t know if they will or not but I think it is smarter for them than having night after night of terrible PR due to cops acting like shits. Sawant is smart to move the action to another location to keep the pressure and combativeness up but did she have to pick and indoor location? That seems like an atrocious decision. Outside city all would be nearly as effective with a lot less risk of covid spread.

Edit: I’m not quite following this enough to know that Sawant actually led the crowd into city hall so correct me if I’m wrong, just saw she started the march and that’s where it ended up.

Okay, yes just read that Sawant was the one that unlocked the doors. Seems like a reckless move.

Eggnogium fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 10, 2020

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The inside city hall thing was basically a dumb photo op, and while I appreciate Sawant being a consistent voice of opposition it's really irritating to have her trotting out Tax Amazon at a moment of historic visibility for BLM and defunding police.

Meanwhile, I don't actually think that the CHAZ really needs a ton of visibility for its own sake right now, although right wingers are losing their absolute poo poo over it, so that's always fun. They've created a space where the cops can't gently caress with people, local businesses and residents appear to basically be supporting it and building solidarity with the AZ demonstrators, and they can continue to use the AZ and park as a staging area for direction actions and to experiment with community governance. That's sort of the point of a TAZ as opposed to OWS which was basically a liberal PR campaign.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Hey folks, I’m curious if anyone knows what the “Freedom Foundation” is.

My dad is a government employee for a local public works department and is part of a union. Today he received an email from the city HR department that as part of a public disclosure request filing, the city is being ordered to hand over the following:

1. Name
2. City email
3. Bargaining group
4. Birthday/month of all represented employees.

So the HR rep continues on saying that the city filed an injunction to get this stopped but it fails so they’re notifying folks that the info has to be released. They’re also saying that item 4 can be excluded if they can articulate a reason that it would harm their safety.

So this is an effort to bust his union, right? Stemming from that SCOTUS case in the last year or so? Has anyone been through these campaigns? Are they serious or is this just some small time bullshit? Also, what’s up with the last item about birthday/month? I don’t think anyone is going to receive any birthday cards.

Thanks in advance!

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

My dad is a government employee for a local public works department and is part of a union. Today he received an email from the city HR department that as part of a public disclosure request filing, the city is being ordered to hand over the following:

1. Name
2. City email
3. Bargaining group

So the HR rep continues on saying that the city filed an injunction to get this stopped but it fails so they’re notifying folks that the info has to be released. They’re also saying that item 4 can be excluded if they can articulate a reason that it would harm their safety.

So this is an effort to bust his union, right? Stemming from that SCOTUS case in the last year or so? Has anyone been through these campaigns? Are they serious or is this just some small time bullshit? Also, what’s up with the last item about birthday/month? I don’t think anyone is going to receive any birthday cards.

Thanks in advance!

You got it right, the Freedom Foundation is a union busting group. They are funded by several GOP mega donors and their main mission is to get public employees to stop paying dues to their unions. They are bad people and they are serious.

The birthday/month thing is so they can find his home address. You get a list of all the public employees, you get a list of every registered voter and their home addresses, all of which is public data, you use the names and birthdays to match the two lists up, now you have a list of the home addresses of every public employee. They will send him a bunch of mail about why he should leave his union and send canvassers to his house to knock on his door and talk to him about it in person and help him fill out the paperwork. Labor groups are trying to help keep at least the birthdays hidden to make it harder to do the employee/voter list match - you need the birthdays to be sure which John Smith is which - but the Freedom Foundation guys are still trying to get it.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Solkanar512 posted:

1. Name
2. City email
3. Bargaining group

Thanks in advance!

I get those every couple of months, better get used to it, they issue them constantly.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Solkanar512 posted:

1. Name
2. City email
3. Bargaining group

Thanks in advance!

I've tried to argue against it for OP SEC but I was basically told that I can hire my own lawyer if I want to fight it.

They pull this data from all public employees and collate it regardless of their union status.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Freedom foundation tried to kill my union at the start of our most recent contract. I've always been a little disappointed that they never visited me. Seems it would have been fun to waste their time substantially over a cup of tea only letting them know near the end what despicable pigfuckers I view their bosses as and that the door knockers themselves are the worst form of class traitors. Well second worse, after the cops.

On that note, is Seattle finally kicking off US balkanization? If so I'd like to sign up Portland for joining the Northwest no cop coalition.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

It's been wild listening to the Portland city council meeting yesterday and today on Zoom. 754 people signed up to speak, many representing larger orgs, and every single one saying to defund the PPB.

I was late logging into it today and managed to sign in just in time for Ted Wheeler to call my name to speak which was a fuckin' trip.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Very proud of Portland after the last 2 weeks, though I doubt our direction will be as substantively radical as Seattle. Still, I don't expect blatant agitation against cops to cease for a very long time.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil
Oly city council banned the use of tear gas... for the duration of the pandemic. Uh, thanks I guess?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

we can have a little reprieve from war crimes, as a treat

Combatace
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You know what they say. Absence makes the lungs grow fonder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

quote:

#Portland City Council #PPB budget amendment vote results (all unanimous):

- PPB gun violence reduction team dismantled.
- SRO program eliminated.
- Cannabis tax dollars divested from PPB.
- SERT defunded.
- Transit police defunded.

* 84 positions axed, $15M from PPB budget reappropriated.

Eudaly votes NO on PPB budget overall. She supports the amendments but feels the proposed budget does not go far enough to address activist demands.

Hardesty is also promising further changes such as future cuts and a community oversight board with subpoena power.

Update for clarification (cuz things got a bit confusing towards the end):
Budget is advancing as a non-emergency item. Will be scheduled for a second reading soon where it is expected to pass with a simple majority.

get hosed, trimet cops