Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Okay boss-defender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Bob Morales posted:

A magazine company not giving raises in this day and age? Especially during a nationwide pandemic? How surprising.

BA isn't "weird food magazine", they are trendy and popular food magazine. They publish what sells.

Rapport brought....golf clubs to the office? Omg. Annoying boss texts assistant on weekends? That has never happened anywhere ever. If he was texting her anything "bad" and not just "hey can you get my dry cleaning" (which she obviously should t be doing outside of work) they will be released any day now.

So now Sohla makes $60k and not $50k? Or she was hired at 50 and makes 60 after being there? Still peanuts in NYC but it's nice to see the number changing across different posts/articles

How do you just keep getting worse and worse?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

https://mobile.twitter.com/eatgordaeat/status/1269329628658712576
More messages in a tweet right after that one.

Messages between him and the person who proposed a Puerto Rican recipe for print. He's explaining why they won't run it in pretty fair terms and acknowledging they don't do as much as some people would like.

The writer is kind of being pushy about it "that's labor for y'all to do", especially as a cold pitch

He's being pretty fair and straight with her.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 10, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"The first Puerto Rican food columnist in the country"

That's a hell of a claim, lady.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Bob Morales posted:

A magazine company not giving raises in this day and age? Especially during a nationwide pandemic? How surprising.

BA isn't "weird food magazine", they are trendy and popular food magazine. They publish what sells.

Rapport brought....golf clubs to the office? Omg. Annoying boss texts assistant on weekends? That has never happened anywhere ever. If he was texting her anything "bad" and not just "hey can you get my dry cleaning" (which she obviously should t be doing outside of work) they will be released any day now.

So now Sohla makes $60k and not $50k? Or she was hired at 50 and makes 60 after being there? Still peanuts in NYC but it's nice to see the number changing across different posts/articles

so
A: The only black employees at BA was Rapoport's assistant who
B: was paid 35k and did not receive a raise during her 2 year 9 month tenure as his assistant despite
C: being made to do personal errands that were outside of her job description and answering weekend text despite HR reprimanding Rapoport and telling him to knock it off

and your response is "ugh that happens everywhere why is she complaining?"

I'm impressed, I've never seen someone lick boot so hard it ended in their colon

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

so
A: The only black employees at BA was Rapoport's assistant who
B: was paid 35k and did not receive a raise during her 2 year 9 month tenure as his assistant despite
C: being made to do personal errands that were outside of her job description and answering weekend text despite HR reprimanding Rapoport and telling him to knock it off

and your response is "ugh that happens everywhere why is she complaining?"

I'm impressed, I've never seen someone lick boot so hard it ended in their colon

Did you also see where I said she shouldn't be doing work on the weekends?

Have you ever watched a BA video? There are clearly other black employees there.

Is it not public knowledge that most jobs in the magazine industry don't pay well?

Someone on Twitter said "15 years experience deserves more than 50k".

Ummm... welcome to the food/restaurant industry buddy.

I like Sohla, they had started to show more of her recently. I always wondered how much they made from videos vs print. A million YouTube views are worth what, a couple thousand bucks at the most?

They have a whole crew filming, offices in the WTC, wouldn't be surprised if the budgets are pretty tight. I know they spend days shooting the Ones Claire does recreating commercial foods.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Man you’d better stop, your colon can only take so much

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Nobody has reached out to Rhoda, who is in charge of BA's video department?

Her instagram hasn't had anything new in a while and she doesn't appear to have Twitter

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Guys it’s cool now, Bon Appetit is cool now

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
What happened to that goon that worked there anyway?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Bob Morales posted:

Nobody has reached out to Rhoda, who is in charge of BA's video department?

Her instagram hasn't had anything new in a while and she doesn't appear to have Twitter

You seem upset they wouldnt accept your article on the price vs value of boot

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Here's my last post for a while. Everything 's been crazy this year and having BA on Youtube was one thing that I liked being able to tune into every couple days. So it's a big deal if they're not going to put out any content for a while.

I really like Rick. I'm a Mexican-American, so I enjoy his Mexican recipes, seeing where they are similar and also different from what I grew up with.

They did a video with Rick's dad, making refried beans. The recipe is here, I'm not sure where the video went, it's not on BA's site or YouTube that I can find. It was great. It reminded me a lot of cooking with my dad and my grandfather.

Rick did videos with BA for carnitas, tamales, churros, and of course refried beans. He's the perfect person to do them. Not that anyone else couldn't do them (I'm sure Claire could knock out some churros), but if it makes me a racist rear end in a top hat to prefer that he does them, so be it.

Rick is also gay. Not a fun position to be in when you have a hispanic background with the 'macho culture' and Catholic faith. The producers let him have his painted nails, and they let him do things like tie-dye cookies, which aren't Mexican in any way. I think that's great.

Which brings me to my next point. As a brown skinned man, Rick is not pigeonholed into "only doing taco videos". Sure, he's done videos from Mexico, taquerias in Austin, along with the refried beans and homemade flour tortilla videos. But he's also done great videos on making a chocolate cake, apple pie, toffee cookies, cocktails, cider donuts, and even chicken scarpariello.

So when other people come out and say things like "brown people aren't allowed to make white recipes at BA", and everyone flips their lid without even realizing it's not true, I get upset.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Bob Morales posted:

Here's my last post for a while. Everything 's been crazy this year and having BA on Youtube was one thing that I liked being able to tune into every couple days. So it's a big deal if they're not going to put out any content for a while.

I really like Rick. I'm a Mexican-American, so I enjoy his Mexican recipes, seeing where they are similar and also different from what I grew up with.

They did a video with Rick's dad, making refried beans. The recipe is here, I'm not sure where the video went, it's not on BA's site or YouTube that I can find. It was great. It reminded me a lot of cooking with my dad and my grandfather.

Rick did videos with BA for carnitas, tamales, churros, and of course refried beans. He's the perfect person to do them. Not that anyone else couldn't do them (I'm sure Claire could knock out some churros), but if it makes me a racist rear end in a top hat to prefer that he does them, so be it.

Rick is also gay. Not a fun position to be in when you have a hispanic background with the 'macho culture' and Catholic faith. The producers let him have his painted nails, and they let him do things like tie-dye cookies, which aren't Mexican in any way. I think that's great.

Which brings me to my next point. As a brown skinned man, Rick is not pigeonholed into "only doing taco videos". Sure, he's done videos from Mexico, taquerias in Austin, along with the refried beans and homemade flour tortilla videos. But he's also done great videos on making a chocolate cake, apple pie, toffee cookies, cocktails, cider donuts, and even chicken scarpariello.

So when other people come out and say things like "brown people aren't allowed to make white recipes at BA", and everyone flips their lid without even realizing it's not true, I get upset.

why are you upset rob?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

“As a Mexican-American man, Martinez felt compelled in his years on staff at Bon Appétit to keep producing food from his own ethnic background, even as he feared being "pigeon-holed" as someone who could only develop Latinx recipes. According to Martinez, Andrew Knowlton, then the deputy editor of Bon Appétit, once asked Martinez if he was "a one-trick pony" due to his focus on Mexican cuisine. Knowlton also told Martinez that his job developing Mexican recipes must have been easier due to his childhood eating his mother's cooking.”

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

She was hired at $50k and now makes $60k. Is that really that confusing?

What are you gaining by jumping in here and being all "actually you're all being unfair to poor Conde loving Nast" or whatever

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Fartington Butts posted:

This is all getting delicious.

I guess Matt Duckor must be the guy who directs Gourmet Makes and is always throwing the ingredients at Claire?

ingredient thrower is Dan Siegel, a video director for Conde Nast lifestyle division videos. probably the same level in the hierarchy as Hunzi (It's Alive cameraman and director)

Matt Duckor is a VP and head of programming for the lifestyle division. he's the one who signs the directors' checks and probably gets to decide who gets their own show/a lucrative Conde Nast Entertainment paycheck (as opposed to just being paid for test kitchen work, which was the crux of Sohla's allegations).

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

xtal posted:

Is there something you'd like to confess?

:rolleyes:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

oh my god, if the people that you like are complaining that they're being treated badly, MAYBE LISTEN TO THEM INSTEAD OF JUST LICKING CORPORATE BOOT

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Man, this story she was pitching sounds amazing – it sucks that the only resp she gets on it is "if you want to pitch, pitch digital" and nothing else.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The latest Babish (pastrami) reveals he has a whole house separate to his NY apartment??

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

The latest Babish (pastrami) reveals he has a whole house separate to his NY apartment??

He just moved I think, so I'm guessing he's still in that process.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

He recently bought a house. The apartment is probably just for production now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Dang, he’s not doing badly then.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Democratic Pirate posted:

“As a Mexican-American man, Martinez felt compelled in his years on staff at Bon Appétit to keep producing food from his own ethnic background, even as he feared being "pigeon-holed" as someone who could only develop Latinx recipes. According to Martinez, Andrew Knowlton, then the deputy editor of Bon Appétit, once asked Martinez if he was "a one-trick pony" due to his focus on Mexican cuisine. Knowlton also told Martinez that his job developing Mexican recipes must have been easier due to his childhood eating his mother's cooking.”

To me, that reads more like Rick and other PoC on staff were less forced to do ethnic foods but fought to get them on the channel. Otherwise it would all be white bread clickbait.

^^^^Babish is holding on to the apartment for a month or two while the basement in the new house is renovated into a studio.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 10, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, Babish makes a lot on Patreon and gets a ton of views. He's doing very well for himself. Good for him, really.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Condé Nast is showing their anti BIPOC stances in the Pittsburgh gazette too fyi

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Babish must be chomping at the bit for the rona to be ova so he can get a home owner tatt

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

you know in hindsight, it's kinda funny that for the first many years bon appetit were making their older style of video where chefs are just dryly doing a recipe in front of a camera. they were getting very few views, it wasn't engaging, no one really seemed to care about them.

then at some point the test kitchen manager and a cameraman (vinny) decided to make a goofy personality-driven video where a guy is just winging his way through making fermented food. the company sits on the video for something like 2 years, until they finally release it, and then It's Alive is born, goes viral, causes the company to reinvent their whole online media strategy, probably greatly accelerated matt duckor's career, etc., and gets us in to the current mess about them not fairly paying personalities for video content.

like the whole reason for bon appetit's recent success is because a test kitchen manager (not even an editor), a cameraman, and presumably a video director (hunzi, I'm not sure if he was on the project since day one) just decided to do their own thing, and from what I can tell had to drag the company in to even releasing the video. all those years of forgettable videos (which matt duckor seems to have been in charge of) and three random lower-level employees are the ones that found the secret to success.

and now two of those employees have taken to social media to talk openly about how trash the company and leadership is

https://twitter.com/matthunzi/status/1270067935961325571

https://twitter.com/VINCENT_CROSS/status/1270098620948209664

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
That one person in this thread shows how hard some people take it when entertainment they enjoy is threatened by the idea of treating people fairly

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

BA put out their apology. Ten years ago it would have been a pretty good apology but now...

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/where-we-go-from-here

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Healthyish has one up too

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/it-hasnt-been-enough

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Just saw this recent IG story from Andy:

EDIT: There are like 6 more pages, but the gist is that he has reached out to Delany and the other queer people at BA and is encouraging open dialogue.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 10, 2020

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah people saying that Alex shouldn't be called out because we need worker solidarity are way off base.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Rapoport just digging further into the hole / doesn't understand how 'off the record' works.

https://jezebel.com/read-some-conde..._source=twitter

quote:

Jezebel would accept that a source who doesn’t work in media might not know this and we would direct our reporting accordingly.

But in this case, we are choosing to publish this email both because of Rapoport’s (former) position as a revered editor at a globally renowned brand and because I spent my entire morning processing its tone—a tone that seemed to reflect precisely the type of entitled microaggression that Bon Appétit staff has bravely risen up against

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah people saying that Alex shouldn't be called out because we need worker solidarity are way off base.

Or now isn’t the time to make this about what 16 year olds said, and it really is about equality first

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Veskit posted:

Or now isn’t the time to make this about what 16 year olds said, and it really is about equality first

They're two kind of separate but kind of related issues. Andy's pain at hearing his colleague say a slur, no matter how long ago, can't just be ignored.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

When was this vine? Was it another thing from his teens?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

more falafel please posted:

When was this vine? Was it another thing from his teens?

It was a vine sooooo....

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I don't know when the video was posted but vine was around 2013-2017. I have no idea how old Alex is, is he only like 23? He seems like he's around 30 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Delany's in his late 20s I think