Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
It's also on a pretty good discount at GOG right now: https://www.gog.com/game/warhammer_40000_mechanicus_omnissiah_edition

GOG's summer sale ends in the next day or so. Steam's summer sale should start soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I really hate it that the recycle bin isn't selected by default when you search for it.

Even if I type out "recycle bin", Storage is still the highlighted top choice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

bobmarleysghost posted:

I really hate it that the recycle bin isn't selected by default when you search for it.

Even if I type out "recycle bin", Storage is still the highlighted top choice.

Windows 10 search sucks. I hate when it selects something else during the time between you quit typing and hit enter.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When you type in the start menu, with the latest update, it has started flashing a SEARCH REWARDS badge. Clicking on it is a mistake, I clicked to see if I could disable it and it immediately signed me up for bing search rewards and started spamming me with email. So then I had to unsubscribe to that.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

xzzy posted:

When you type in the start menu, with the latest update, it has started flashing a SEARCH REWARDS badge. Clicking on it is a mistake, I clicked to see if I could disable it and it immediately signed me up for bing search rewards and started spamming me with email. So then I had to unsubscribe to that.

Do you not have Enterprise or Education?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Bob Morales posted:

Windows 10 search sucks. I hate when it selects something else during the time between you quit typing and hit enter.

Not an empty quote. It’s probably the thing I hate the most about windows 10.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The fact that search has been broken since release is hilarious to me. I have no idea how they hosed up so badly. It's completely unfathomable.

How the gently caress do you, as the first party of the entire OS, with the most resources of anyone in the market, get out-UXed by some randomly cobbled together Linux system developed by volunteers. How.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

The fact that search has been broken since release is hilarious to me. I have no idea how they hosed up so badly. It's completely unfathomable.

How the gently caress do you, as the first party of the entire OS, with the most resources of anyone in the market, get out-UXed by some randomly cobbled together Linux system developed by volunteers. How.

The terrible search is why I still to this day use OpenShell.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Our R&D team hit us up today, they want some Windows 7 and Windows XP VMs in our data center to work with.

Hahahhahaahhahahahaha.

I don’t care if they’re working with embedded devices with a long lifecycle, just no.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

devmd01 posted:

Our R&D team hit us up today, they want some Windows 7 and Windows XP VMs in our data center to work with.

Hahahhahaahhahahahaha.

I don’t care if they’re working with embedded devices with a long lifecycle, just no.

They're not that much of a security threat if they're secured in your datacenter.

There's no fuckin' way a WinXP PC is allowed on the network, though.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Agrikk posted:

Dafuq? What is the origin of this? A sci-fi RPG I’m guessing, but wow.

Boooooo to the AV change.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The team doing our upgrade to AD Functional Level 2016 has been pestering me about XP images and test machines. If I hadn't fixed that one guy's laptop two promotions ago they'd be lost.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Antigravitas posted:

Remember that time they broke Windows 10 search so literally nothing showed up?

The search in Ubuntu (whatever the gently caress interface it is now) is like a oval office hair better.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

You will have to be more specific than that. The start menu failing entirely is a common mode of failure that shouldn't exist but happens all the drat time.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
MS is so petty about having to bring back the start menu they intend on breaking it so many times people fall out of love with it until Windows 11: The Return of the Metro

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I know the year of the Linux desktop is always n+1, but since I switched to Mint at home I've never looked back. Everything is just SO much quicker/faster on my Linux machine.

Now if you'll ignore all my posts for help in the Linux thread...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'll be switching from OSX to linux for work soon too. Things seem to be better since I last tried that, 15 years ago.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I've been running KDE Plasma for years because I like it a lot. It's just so much quieter. It doesn't constantly want my attention and even if something pops up I can quickly mute it.

And the start menu is actually sane. It just walks a few paths for .desktop files. They are simple human-readable key=value files that optionally carry all localisation content for description/name etc.

On Windows, the start menu is some kind of database that gets constructed and mutated by dark forces in the background and your program must follow specific conventions so it can get a high resolution image, and you can add things via some weird xml file that's half documented for OEMs and if it gets ingested before a program it references is installed the tile is empty and you need to create both legacy .lnk start menu files AND the xml and WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS poo poo MICROSOFT. WHAT. THE. gently caress.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

THE gently caress IS THIS poo poo MICROSOFT. WHAT. THE. gently caress.

:agreed:

Microsoft learned the term "minimum viable product" and has been going all in on that ever since.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 10, 2020

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Microsoft posted:

Teams is HIPPA complaint

That's pretty incredible actu-

Microsoft posted:

As long as the administrator configures it properly

Alright well that makes sense Teams is a flexible plat-

Microsoft posted:

We just turned connectivity to consumer Skype on by default lol

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I know the year of the Linux desktop is always n+1, but since I switched to Mint at home I've never looked back. Everything is just SO much quicker/faster on my Linux machine.

How good is Linux at sharing storage drives with Windows now on a dual-boot setup? I know you can map the same partitions/drives, but are there any gotchas in terms of actually accessing the same files, aside from file types Windows doesn't natively support? I'd like to get better with Linux and it seems like living with it day to day would be the best way, but I do a lot of PC gaming so switching over to exclusively Linux is a no-go unless emulation has improved by leaps and bounds since the last time I looked.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

From my very limited experience Mint does just fine accessing files off of NTFS shares. But I didnt live in dual boot mode very long before I said the hell with it and just went full Linux.

I'm not much of a gamer but Steam/Proton DB for linux is pretty great and the few games I've wanted to play here and there have been easy enough to get going. I think if you're trying to play the latest and greatest games though you may run into more problems.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How good is Linux at sharing storage drives with Windows now on a dual-boot setup? I know you can map the same partitions/drives, but are there any gotchas in terms of actually accessing the same files, aside from file types Windows doesn't natively support? I'd like to get better with Linux and it seems like living with it day to day would be the best way, but I do a lot of PC gaming so switching over to exclusively Linux is a no-go unless emulation has improved by leaps and bounds since the last time I looked.

I have just put Mint on my Win10 computer.

Win10 is on C:
Mint is on D:

D: has been partitioned on win10 prior to the Mint install, the clean partition has no drive assigned in it.

Booted off the Mint USB, Mint installed Mint on the clean partition of "D:".

Boot priority is set to "D:" so Mint boots up to a pre boot screen, and because Linux is not poo poo, asks me:

Do you want to boot into Win10 on C or off Mint on D?

Absolutely beautiful and easy to use.

And yes, you can access all the windows files on C and D from Mint.

Windows can't access the Mint partition on the physical disk that has "D:" on it, just FYI. Well, it can access it, but not assign a drive letter to it and use it (at least not from diskmgmt.msc).

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 10, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Internet Explorer posted:

:agreed:

Microsoft learned the term "minimum viable product" and has been going all in on that ever since.

They're just opening up beta testing to their userbase.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Another thing worth mentioning, if you have an old desktop or laptop sitting around just install Ubuntu server or something like on that to get your feet wet and learn more about the OS. I had an old Lenovo mini computer that I installed Ubunutu server on to play around with Docker. Give yourself a goal and try to do it all through the CLI.

Doing that I built out a Plex/Sonarr/Radarr/Sabnzbd setup all through the CLI. It was a fun experiment and it gave me a decent enough footing in Linux to be comfortable tooling around. I'm not an expert by any means but I dont feel like an absolute beginner anymore either. I knew enough to get my AWS instance running a website too which was another fun experiment and helped me get my AWS-SA cert.

Basically give yourself a goal in Linux and work towards it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

poo poo pissing me off today: Concur and QB integration

Not sure if this is SAP directly or a 3rd party but they require the admin of QB/Concur to install their web connector on the server that hosts the QB file, so loving stupid; their response when I brought that up was that we could create a batch file to run the data transfer/upload that the admin runs rather than logging into the server... I mean, I'm sure I can create a task to fire to do this thing or something but holy crap this is dumb.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

My laptop has been Linux-exclusive with only the occasional boot to Windows if I need to set up a gadget that requires a Windows-only app for a few years now. At this point I'd say if you can do everything you want to do with a given machine under Linux it's probably a better experience. That is still an if though, especially when it comes to games and business software. Hardware support overall is pretty solid, laptops with nVidia+Intel dual graphics being the biggest pain point currently AFAIK, if you care about switching between them. I just set mine to Intel.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Linux has been able to read NTFS ~forever. Write support has been stable for around a decade at this point, the NTFS-3G project made a lot of progress when FUSE got big.

The other way around is trickier. There are a few ext2 drivers available for Windows, and thanks to the forward/backward compatibility you can for the most part mount ext3/4 filesystems with them (though without the benefits of later features like journaled writes) but it's definitely not as clean as accesssing NTFS from Linux.

There's a new exFAT driver in Linux which would probably be worth considering for cross-platform external drives, but I don't think it's ideal for internal drive use.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I exchange data (if even have to, since I basically never boot Windows) via my NAS. It's easier for me than mounting ntfs.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

After two months now of corona-chan closing doors for me getting a new job, I got a call back from a place that I had contacted back in February. They were interested in me then, but they wanted me to work nights and I declined (because I thought I had options lol) and they said they'd keep me in mind if something else opened up (which I assumed was a meaningless pleasantry).

Well, they did call me on Monday and ask if I was still interested if they had a day job, I said yes, they scheduled an interview for yesterday, I nailed it, and now all I have to do is pass an aptitude test they're sending me. The job will pay 17% more than my last stop, I will be working about 25% fewer hours, and they pay OT even on salary. I will have to move, but it's to a nice area with a lower CoL than where I'm at now.

I didn't get the job because 'The results of your personality test indicated you are too independent'

For gently caress's sake.

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 10, 2020

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Call and email constantly until they change it to " needy"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress personality tests

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

tactlessbastard posted:

I didn't get the job because 'The results of your personality test indicated you are too independent'

For gently caress's sake.

I would think it was an excuse for something else. Its a good failsafe for when they want to exclude an applicant for reasons they aren't allowed to.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sickening posted:

I would think it was an excuse for something else. Its a good failsafe for when they want to exclude an applicant for reasons they aren't allowed to.

"Not a good cultural fit"

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

hoo boy.

Got a good one this morning. Our VOIP provider (VOIP.ms because gently caress them) got back to us about a CNAM update ticket with the following:

"We have found that the number <blahblah> is not in our network and was incorrectly posted in our stock. In this case, we will cancel this number and refund all the charges that were applied for it so you can get another one. Apologies for the inconvenience".

We purchased this number in a block along with 100 other numbers. IN JANUARY. And it has been successfully set up and working since January.

Where did this number go? Oh, just to a religious organization's gift shop.

Where does it go now? Well if you call it, you get no response, and then you get a text message with the following:

"GFE $140 1/2 hour, $160 full hour. BBFS $180 1/2 hour, $200 full hour". (If you don't know these acronyms, and I didn't, I suggest not Googling them at work).

Couldn't make this poo poo up.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

As someone not involved in that problem at all - that rules

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

They're just opening up beta testing to their userbase.

Like Active Directory. We have about 4 sub-domains globally and a total of 130,000 Windows machines. The sub-domain I work in has 44 DCs spread from Singapore to Germany (the long way over the Pacific). Replication of changes in AD takes 15-4320 minutes (i.e. sometimes you have to leave it over the weekend for a new GPO to start working).

Microsoft can't test that in-house, it's impossible. We're in a permanent live beta for our mission critical infrastructure and always will be.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I was going to make a joke but after googling now I really want to go to the Bimini Biological Field Station, seems awesome as hell.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Super Soaker Party! posted:

hoo boy.

Got a good one this morning. Our VOIP provider (VOIP.ms because gently caress them) got back to us about a CNAM update ticket with the following:

"We have found that the number <blahblah> is not in our network and was incorrectly posted in our stock. In this case, we will cancel this number and refund all the charges that were applied for it so you can get another one. Apologies for the inconvenience".

We purchased this number in a block along with 100 other numbers. IN JANUARY. And it has been successfully set up and working since January.

Where did this number go? Oh, just to a religious organization's gift shop.

Where does it go now? Well if you call it, you get no response, and then you get a text message with the following:

"GFE $140 1/2 hour, $160 full hour. BBFS $180 1/2 hour, $200 full hour". (If you don't know these acronyms, and I didn't, I suggest not Googling them at work).

Couldn't make this poo poo up.

i'm googling them

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Weedle posted:

i'm googling them

:justpost::posthaste:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GFE is "great food eating" and BBFS is "big bowls of fried shrimp." not as bad as i expected