Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it may be assumed that paru defeated her father in a game of wits and banished him from her studio for another several weeks

but he will return. her Stumbling Chicken Fist may not be enough this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

lol this cover

im telling my kids this is judy hopps

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Tell them it's the easter bunny

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Vinylshadow posted:

Tell them it's the easter bunny

Fostering a whole new generation of furries I see.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m sick of kids these days watching Zootopia or Beastars and becoming furries. Back in my day, we became furries the correct way: by watching Disney’s Robin Hood

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

I’m sick of kids these days watching Zootopia or Beastars and becoming furries. Back in my day, we became furries the correct way: by watching Secret of NIMH

ftfy

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I actually rewatched that recently, and...
Yeah, I really don't blame anyone if that was their entry point

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

thetoughestbean posted:

I’m sick of kids these days watching Zootopia or Beastars and becoming furries. Back in my day, we became furries the correct way: by watching Bugs Bunny in toreador pants.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
1-2 punch of beauty and the beast and lion king

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Ch. 180 rough translation

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ch 180 beastars https://imgur.com/gallery/yEZKD1t

Edit: drat too slow

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 14, 2020

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

boy, when you say "rough" you aren't kidding

"The one to show their panties aren't deserved to wear skirts."

Although that's the worst of the chapter

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

This chapter was fine and had some fun bits to it. Also haru was at least brought up in passing so thats nice.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Oh look, more Melon.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

So is Paru just putting all of the Anime bad-guy sympathetic backstory stuff in Melon? First we had parental abuse, missing dad, killing a parent, and now probable maternal rape.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Technowolf posted:

So is Paru just putting all of the Anime bad-guy sympathetic backstory stuff in Melon? First we had parental abuse, missing dad, killing a parent, and now probable maternal rape.

Whether or not that's what was explicitly implied, definitely another page in the "Eat or gently caress confusion" stack

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
So when was this last good? I'm growing to assume this is going to have a dumb ending, so I'm trying to figure out where I would prune it down to on a reread. The whole Riz resolution thing?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dog Kisser posted:

The whole Riz resolution thing?

Yeah, pretty much.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dog Kisser posted:

So when was this last good? I'm growing to assume this is going to have a dumb ending, so I'm trying to figure out where I would prune it down to on a reread. The whole Riz resolution thing?

Getting Leano's story, so at least chapter 134 (slightly after Melon's introduction (124) though)

although stopping after they graduate after Riz is probably a better hard stop

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dog Kisser posted:

it gets a little silly/rocky for the 20 or 30 chapters afterward, but legosi awkwardly fumbling his way through becoming an independent adult is good and it also features gosha who's one of the best characters in the whole story

the minute melon first peels off his mask is when the decline starts, and imo it becomes terminal when kyuu shows up

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
There's still a lot I like in the recent stuff, but it's basically really consistently good up until 124 or so when Melon shows up, and a more hit and miss after that.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I suspect the post-melon stuff will probably be a lot more tolerable in one big chunk anyways. It sucks waiting week to week only to get duds with a few good things here and there, but binging it all at once would make it much easier to get through I imagine.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm hoping this Melon stuff is going somewhere. A lot of what made the Riz stuff good was Legosi basically seeing things from Riz's point of view and going 'Even if I hate it, I can see how this happened, and how it just as easily could have happened to me.' There's some of that with Melon and the implication of any of Legosi's children, but I don't feel like we're setting up a Melon redemption arc or anything like that. And I doubt it will be as simple as 'Melon dies or gets dragged to jail'.

And even if Legosi were to hypothetically lose here, Melon can't really go back to his old 'get away with poo poo by pretending to be a herbivore' life, so I'm not really sure what's going to happen here.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 23, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the plotting's also getting sloppy/wacky enough so that it's a futile effort trying to predict what's going to happen from one chapter to the next. we can probably be confident that yafya and gosha are going to crash the party at some point, but what about gouhin? BIG WHALE? san the alpaca, who lasted a whole two chapters before getting dropped into the same pit that rokume had been banished to? who knows!

i liked san way better than kyuu as well, he was a jolly fellow

melon's flashback chapters are legitimately creepy but they feel like an attempt to back-fill some pathos into a character who'd spent almost a year beforehand just being a hedonistic douche. riz at least was sympathetic from the word go even if he was a terrifying bastard

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I don't like that translators named them San and Kyuu instead of Three and Nine, since those are just literally the japanese words for those letters and better hammers home the fact that they used to be property.

That's my Beastars post.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I know I really only come in here to complain that they're not at the fireworks factory yet, but IMO compared to the first arc this whole second arc just feels incredibly forgettable by means of being so all over the place. I can't even pretend to remember half of what happened to this point because it was either inconsequential or just never mentioned again. I think the Beastars are supposed to be doing something to help Legosi or something soon? Maybe? I forgot who they are by now.

It's an interesting world that was built up, but we're seeing it through the passenger window of a car going a hundred miles an hour.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Chapter bad.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I've been completely checked out since the quiz

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Someone started and ADTRW discord here: https://discord.gg/d5HZjT

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
before this ship goes down i will say that the rough scans for the newest chapter have leaked and it is very good

this dumbass comic got its hooks into me during an extremely stressful time so i will be following it down to the bitter end, much like the forums

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

before this ship goes down i will say that the rough scans for the newest chapter have leaked and it is very good

this dumbass comic got its hooks into me during an extremely stressful time so i will be following it down to the bitter end, much like the forums

I'm hoping that assuming Paru doesn't just end it after this big arc and move to something new, that quality will get more consistent afterwards once she's not attempting large scale villains and overly fight-centric poo poo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zerilan posted:

I'm hoping that assuming Paru doesn't just end it after this big arc and move to something new, that quality will get more consistent afterwards once she's not attempting large scale villains and overly fight-centric poo poo.

nah this is definitely endgame, the latest chapter has a montage of the entire first arc's cast, louis blowing the lid on the polite lies holding their society together, and yafya possibly intending to call out the whale to end the subsequent riots. everything's too climactic to draw down after this

best you can hope for is a more chill spinoff manga like this one's predecessor

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
What I'd love to see is like, a continuation/sequel series that focuses on an older Legoshi/Haru actually trying to raise a kid and poo poo. The character writing is what got me hooked on Paru's stuff and her strengths shine a lot more when telling a series of smaller stories, and when it's more drama/romance than action.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Zerilan posted:

What I'd love to see is like, a continuation/sequel series that focuses on an older Legoshi/Haru actually trying to raise a kid and poo poo. The character writing is what got me hooked on Paru's stuff and her strengths shine a lot more when telling a series of smaller stories, and when it's more drama/romance than action.

A slice of life manga about them as parents would be loving great.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

legosi gently shakes his sleeping kid awake

"sweetie, you're going to be late for school"
"dad, it's sunday"
"oh"
"and summer break"
"oh"
"is your shirt on backwards again?"
"gotta go to work, love you, bye"

shuts the door on his tail on the way out

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

legosi gently shakes his sleeping kid awake

"sweetie, you're going to be late for school"
"dad, it's sunday"
"oh"
"and summer break"
"oh"
"is your shirt on backwards again?"
"gotta go to work, love you, bye"

shuts the door on his tail on the way out

"Dad, I have a crush on one of my classmates, how did you and mom fall in love?"

"WE NEED TO FIND YOU A GANGSTER TO BEAT UP"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

Funnily enough Paru did make a doujinshi about older Legosi/Haru before rebooting the idea into Beastars with younger characters

https://mangadex.org/title/44237/beast-complex-doujinshi

I don't think it's ever been posted online though

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Thankfully this dead forum will still be around to complain about the downfall of this great comic in, until the comic is dead and gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I for one am glad that these dead gay forums will shamble on in gay unlife another day so that I can post about how I hope the Netflix anime continues to do a better job of telling this story than the manga does.

Honestly I kind of hope they either stop at season 2 or heavily heavily diverge from the source after that