Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Zeta Acosta posted:

Watching San Marino 89 and what the gently caress with cars crashing at full speed at that circuit

1.) It was 1989
2.) It was San Marino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I know the source sucks, but I'm lolling pretty hard at Renault being salty as gently caress.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/renault-mclaren-test-engine/

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Dirk Pitt posted:

I know the source sucks, but I'm lolling pretty hard at Renault being salty as gently caress.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/renault-mclaren-test-engine/

And yet, Renault wonder why they have mediocre results on track. Definitely can’t be related to their poo poo management and attitude.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I know vettel is a bin man but the presence of mind not to get slotted by a run away masa at Canada 2014 is quite impressive.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Dirk Pitt posted:

So I've watched Azerbaijian 2017, and Brazil 2012 recently.What are the pre 2019 races that are cool and good?
Spanish GP '91
Monaco '84
Jerez '86
Australia '86
Hungary '89
Monaco '96
Portugal '96
Brazil '08
Turkey '10

Go in cold to them.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 10, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
What's the one where schumi made 5 stops and basically ran at qualifying pace the whole race?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The must-watch Schumi race is France 1992.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu7SP0sru4A

After the restart Schumacher crashed out on the same corner again.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 10, 2020

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

ilmucche posted:

What's the one where schumi made 5 stops and basically ran at qualifying pace the whole race?

France 2004

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Zeta Acosta posted:

France 2004
Also Hungary 1998

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Other than Hungary, any other races of note in 1998? I'm thinking of watching that season.

e: I'm sure some of the big ones I know happened in '98, I just can't remember if they did or not.

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 11, 2020

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The Belgian one is infamous of course.
Canada and Silverstone were also good.
It was the first year on the narrower cars and grooved tyres, so there's not a lot of action overall unless something random was going on.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
1999 is a better year from just McLaren and Ferrari and Jordan tripping over their own dicks all year and some truly terrifigingly bizzare results that make you question logic and reason.

Pablo Bluth posted:

The must-watch Schumi race is France 1992.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu7SP0sru4A

After the restart Schumacher crashed out on the same corner again.

Lol I remember this.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 11, 2020

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

1999 is a better year from just McLaren and Ferrari and Jordan tripping over their own dicks all year and some truly terrifigingly bizzare results that make you question logic and reason.

1998 was pretty crushing domination by the McLaren because, stop me if you’ve heard this before, Adrian Newey got a new rules set absolutely right.

1999 is a pretty good sample of F1 batshit-ness, including car developments that get swiftly banned, plus a title challenge that goes to just about the wire.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Are Charles is currently streaming his karting exploits on track:

https://www.twitch.tv/charlesleclerc

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

harperdc posted:

1998 was pretty crushing domination by the McLaren because, stop me if you’ve heard this before, Adrian Newey got a new rules set absolutely right.

1999 is a pretty good sample of F1 batshit-ness, including car developments that get swiftly banned, plus a title challenge that goes to just about the wire.

The only reason McLaren won in 1998 was because coulthard crashed Schumacher at Spa.
In 1999 Schumacher broke Is loving legs and Irvine was a contender for fucks sake.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

98 had more to do with Schumacher stalling on the grid of the final race than anything else. That wasn’t his finest hour.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Yeah he pulled for first gear and the car stalled. A lot of that has to do with the driver :allears:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

McLaren won in 98 and 99 because Mika Hakkinen is a loving dreamboat, gently caress you

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Zeta Acosta posted:

The only reason McLaren won in 1998 was because coulthard crashed Schumacher at Spa.

now that's a fuckin hot take

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

your friend wicka posted:

McLaren won in 98 and 99 because Mika Hakkinen is a loving dreamboat, gently caress you

Are you the one whose scrubbing all the videos of him having a mental breakdown in a forest mid race from YouTube?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

the corona quid posted:

Are you the one whose scrubbing all the videos of him having a mental breakdown in a forest mid race from YouTube?

good thing michael schumacher never cried on live tv

Frond posted:

It's cool how bad the late 90s F1 field (aside from Michael, obviously) was. I'd really would have liked to see the absolutely bitter Schumacher-Senna battle.

senna would have lost

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 11, 2020

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It's cool how bad the late 90s F1 field (aside from Michael, obviously) was. I'd really would have liked to see the absolutely bitter Schumacher-Senna battle.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
HHF was a loving title contender in 1999. The Jordan had an engine built by 4 guys in a shed in rural Shizuoka and he was beating on factory cars.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Engine Designer Hans Mezger has passed away. He was responsible for much of Porsche's success throughout the 60s, 70s, and 80s, including the TAG V6 Turbo.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Frond posted:

The late 90s field was so bad outside of Mika and Michael that HHF, the definition of German Midfield Driver, was a championship contender.
For some reason I thought Kimi and Alonso started in 2000, but no, 2001

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Serperoth posted:

The late 90s field was so bad outside of Mika and Michael that HHF, the definition of German Midfield Driver, was a championship contender.
For some reason I thought Kimi and Alonso started in 2000, but no, 2001

HHF had a bunch of talent that was never fully realized. I think his career was setback by his struggles in various F3000 series in the early 1990s. You also had really old 80s era drivers who were still winning races and scoring points regularly (500 year old Gerhard Berger won a race in 1997 for fucks sake, Brundle was still an upper midfield runner until his forced retirement, Alesi stuck around and was competitive forever as well.)

In hindsight Barrichello was also good.

Alonso, Kimi, and arguably even Montoya were the first drivers that could match Michael on skill after the death of Senna.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_International_Formula_3000_Championship

Look at this loving poo poo lol.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Do not disparage Austrian hero Gerhard Berger’s phenomenal 1997 victory.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the corona quid posted:

Overcoming Adversity

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Frond posted:

HHF had a bunch of talent that was never fully realized. I think his career was setback by his struggles in various F3000 series in the early 1990s. You also had really old 80s era drivers who were still winning races and scoring points regularly (500 year old Gerhard Berger won a race in 1997 for fucks sake, Brundle was still an upper midfield runner until his forced retirement, Alesi stuck around and was competitive forever as well.)

In hindsight Barrichello was also good.

Alonso, Kimi, and arguably even Montoya were the first drivers that could match Michael on skill after the death of Senna.

Rubens was cool. Massa too, really likeable lads. As much as I don't like Alonso (or Kimi), I won't disagree there, all three of them were pretty good.

VV: I didn't say "talented".

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 11, 2020

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Serperoth posted:

Rubens was cool. Massa too, really likeable lads.

Hahahahahaha

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

the corona quid posted:

Do not disparage Austrian hero Gerhard Berger’s phenomenal 1997 victory.

He's one of the best ever drivers not be WDC.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

NtotheTC posted:

now that's a fuckin hot take

Coulthard admitted it though (not that he was TRYING to take out MS, but that it was DC's fault): "The reality is, I lifted off to let him past me but I did it in heavy spray on the racing line. You should never do that. But in '98 I didn't have the experience and knowledge. I shouldn't have lifted on the racing line in the wet."

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Hey now, I think you'll find Vincenzo Sospiri was the man who inspired a young Michael Schumacher

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Serperoth posted:

Rubens was cool. Massa too, really likeable lads.
Aside from supporting neofascism sure

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Aside from supporting neofascism sure

Wait really? I have legit no idea, all I know about them after F1 is that Rubens did some touring car stuff in Brazil.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Most of the Brazilian racing drivers are Bolsonaro supporters.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I think Our Nelson is the only one who hasn't come out in support of Jair?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Serperoth posted:

Wait really? I have legit no idea, all I know about them after F1 is that Rubens did some touring car stuff in Brazil.

rubens lately has been doing f5000 in Australia and massa has been doing fe but yeah probably on the fascism part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

if a 2x wdc can't figure out where the spray is coming from maybe he doesn't deserve the other 5 wdcs