Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

bull3964 posted:

Actually, if you are into bug photography, the macro mode on the OP8P is incredible.

Interesting. What's the working distance and magnification with macro mode ON? I am very much into bug photography but very skeptic about doing it with a phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Minimum focal distance is 4cm.

It's actually using the ultrawide camera for the macro shots, you can select anywhere from a 0.6x to a 2x zoom while in macro mode (the photo I took was at 1x.)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

My 3a, less than a year old, had been giving me trouble for about two weeks, not charging when I plugged it in to a good source/cable, until I wiggled it a few times and got it exactly right. This afternoon I just couldn't get it charging at all and was about to start looking up how to get it serviced when I noticed the port and the two speaker/mic grills on the bottom were filthy. Blew them out with computer duster and it works perfectly now. Never had that happen before with any phone I've had, all carried around in the same environments. I don't remember dropping it like directly into a pile of dirt or anything.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Lint accumulating in the ports and sabotaging it has been quite common for me. Just clean them with a tooth pick. I can't wait for when phones finally come without any physical ports.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I can't really think of a design element that could possibly make the Pixel 3a more likely to accumulate pocket detritus than the bottom of any other phone.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm trying to devise a longer-term replacement process for the Essential PH-1's I got for my mom and me. Mine is starting to act up and I'd rather be ready than have to scramble for whatever. We both were confused with the Android Pie upgraded UX but we've since become accustomed to what is pretty much a stock experience, and I liked how much the software stack supported over my old Samsung Galaxy. Even my wife's newer one doesn't like to output to a TV. My mom probably uses her phone more than I use mine since she does a lot of her social media on it--or at least used to because she might have finally nuked Facebook.

For me, I've had to conclude I'd like at least a little bit better camera for indoor pictures. Outside of that, I want to make sure Bluetooth works well. That's kind of specific on the Bluetooth devices themselves, but my phone can get spotty doing audio with anything when I have it in my pocket. In my mom's case, I'm pondering if I should get an Android KVM dock and just make her next phone double as her computer. Whatever device I get her should probably keep an experience similar to stock so she doesn't have to re-re-learn how to use it.

I've put in various alerts on camelcamelcamel for OnePlus phones from the 6T up to the 8 but I was wondering if I should be targeting something else. I got biased against Samsung for my mom due to how they change the UX but I could switch back without a problem.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

My 3a, less than a year old, had been giving me trouble for about two weeks, not charging when I plugged it in to a good source/cable, until I wiggled it a few times and got it exactly right. This afternoon I just couldn't get it charging at all and was about to start looking up how to get it serviced when I noticed the port and the two speaker/mic grills on the bottom were filthy. Blew them out with computer duster and it works perfectly now. Never had that happen before with any phone I've had, all carried around in the same environments. I don't remember dropping it like directly into a pile of dirt or anything.

'check the port for lint' has been the 'have you tried turning it on and off first' solution to charging issues forever, this isn't a new thing

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Recently the swipe up for home gesture has stopped working occasionally on my Oneplus 7 Pro, meaning I'll have to do it a few time till the phone registers it, anyone else have this as well?

bull3964 posted:

I've actually encountered this a bit recently on the Galaxy S20 Ultra as well which is odd.

Same, on a Pixel 4XL

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

seravid posted:

Good enough, thanks. 7T Pro should be delivered Friday. I'm actually excited about a new phone, that's neat.

FYI, OnePlus has finally caved on this and will be adding always-on-display to their firmware some time later this year.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Google Fi is having a sale on the Moto G Power for $150 or the Moto G Stylus for $200 - good value for those phones?

I currently have a OP 3T and I need a new phone, but I also need dual SIM, so a 3A is out, and I'd rather not spend $500-700 on a OP7T or OP8

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so I have an old-rear end Galaxy S7 and I've been having some weird issues with it.

firstly: apps keep crashing at complete random, based seemingly on the mood the phone is in at the time. like, right now, it's Google Play Services that's making GBS threads itself every five minutes, but if I restart my phone it might be the Samsung UI, or it might be Snapchat or Facebook refusing to open, or God only knows what.

secondly: if I overtax the phone in any way, or often if it just feels like being an rear end in a top hat, it will just freeze and reboot out of nowhere. often, when it does this, it will get stuck on the Verizon boot screen and eat huge chunks of my battery until I maintenance-boot it and throw the dice again.

thirdly: my phone is apparently somehow heating itself to 50 goddamn degrees celsius and, while I suspect this is at least part of the problem, i have no loving clue why it's doing this either.

is my phone just hosed or is there a way i can make it stop making GBS threads itself every time I try to do anything? because this is getting ridiculous

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

so I have an old-rear end Galaxy S7 and I've been having some weird issues with it.

firstly: apps keep crashing at complete random, based seemingly on the mood the phone is in at the time. like, right now, it's Google Play Services that's making GBS threads itself every five minutes, but if I restart my phone it might be the Samsung UI, or it might be Snapchat or Facebook refusing to open, or God only knows what.

secondly: if I overtax the phone in any way, or often if it just feels like being an rear end in a top hat, it will just freeze and reboot out of nowhere. often, when it does this, it will get stuck on the Verizon boot screen and eat huge chunks of my battery until I maintenance-boot it and throw the dice again.

thirdly: my phone is apparently somehow heating itself to 50 goddamn degrees celsius and, while I suspect this is at least part of the problem, i have no loving clue why it's doing this either.

is my phone just hosed or is there a way i can make it stop making GBS threads itself every time I try to do anything? because this is getting ridiculous

If you look back a few pages I posted a pic of the battery of my 3.5 year old S7 Edge trying to go handgrenade on me. If the battery is the original OEM one it might be going bad. I'd suggest checking your phone for suspicious bulging on the back.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
How bad/forced is the bloatware on the Samsung Galaxy phones now? I did a lot of phone rooting and modding (and then ultimately switched to the nexus lines) to get away from it back in the day but I remember there being some pretty intrusive functions at that time. I desperately need a new phone now and probably won't be able to make it till October without one to see the Pixel 5 lines (my old Nexus 6 I've been using to limp along finally straight up died this week) so I've been eyeballing the galaxy s20+. I'm still not a fan of bloatware but wouldn't mind it as long as I'm given the option of choosing my own default apps (I get that some I won't be able to uninstall, though), but everything I find online doesn't really describe the bloatware, just talks about how to remove it all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The most egregious is the non-removable McAfee stuff. For the first week of owning the phone you are going to be bothered every other day to enable anti-malware service until it finally gives up and goes longer between bothering you. You can't disable the notification either since it's a core system process that's generating it.

I find the whole Device Care section to be pretty janky, encouraging users to janitor their phone. The integration of 3rd party services prominently in core system apps is also something I have an issue with. First, you have the before mentioned McAfee which sits within the Device Care section. Second, you have the "Places" tab placed in the dialer app. This is a third party service driven by Hiya which requires you to agree to a separate TOS and grant permission to access things like your contacts, call logs, and phone number that they then use for marketing purposes. So, yeah, Samsung has integrated a 3rd party marketing provider that siphons user data into a core system app.

Otherwise, you still have the standard Samsung stuff of duplicated system apps and a whole separate store. The interface, on a whole, is still very fond of giving you a ton of frivolous options within the OS while simultaneously relying on you to download add on apps from the Samsung store to do things you would expect to be able to do (looking at you, themes.)

It's livable, and I could use it every day now after you get done the first two weeks disabling and hiding things. I think they still have a long way to go to tighten up their implementation though. OxygenOS remains the best model as to how to customize your Android build (though it's still not without issues.)

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 10, 2020

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

bull3964 posted:

The most egregious is the non-removable McAfee stuff. For the first week of owning the phone you are going to be bothered every other day to enable anti-malware service until it finally gives up and goes longer between bothering you. You can't disable the notification either since it's a core system process that's generating it.

I find the whole Device Care section to be pretty janky, encouraging users to janitor their phone. The integration of 3rd party services prominently in core system apps is also something I have an issue with. First, you have the before mentioned McAfee which sits within the Device Care section. Second, you have the "Places" tab placed in the dialer app. This is a third party service driven by Hiya which requires you to agree to a separate TOS and grant permission to access things like your contacts, call logs, and phone number that they then use for marketing purposes. So, yeah, Samsung has integrated a 3rd party marketing provider that siphons user data into a core system app.

Otherwise, you still have the standard Samsung stuff of duplicated system apps and a whole separate store. The interface, on a whole, ist still very fond of giving you a ton of frivolous options within the OS while simultaneously relying on you to download add on apps from the Samsung store to do things you would expect to be able to do (looking at you, themes.)

It's livable, and I could use it every day now after you get done the first two weeks disabling and hiding things. I think they still have a long way to go to tighten up their implementation though. OxygenOS remains the best model as to how to customize your Android build (though it's still not without issues.)

Thanks, that was incredibly helpful! I'll be doing a bit more research, but OxygenOS is the oneplus OS, right? I was actually considering the 8/8pro phones before Samsung but I've been told there's some hardware/software display issues being worked on right now which is why I started looking at the Galaxy.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Pre-installed apps also depend on the carrier. Plus, you can just disable the ones you don't want anyways.

My T-Mobile Galaxy S10+ had very, very few pre-installed apps on it, and I was easily able to disable any of the ones I didn't want (like the super bloated default Facebook app).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nalin posted:

Pre-installed apps also depend on the carrier. Plus, you can just disable the ones you don't want anyways.

My T-Mobile Galaxy S10+ had very, very few pre-installed apps on it, and I was easily able to disable any of the ones I didn't want (like the super bloated default Facebook app).

I had a direct from Samsung unlocked device that never saw a SIM until much later and it still had the the whole McAfee thing and the full suite of Microsoft apps installed.

There's still way too much crap installed on them by default without carrier involvement.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Google Fi is having a sale on the Moto G Power for $150 or the Moto G Stylus for $200 - good value for those phones?

I currently have a OP 3T and I need a new phone, but I also need dual SIM, so a 3A is out, and I'd rather not spend $500-700 on a OP7T or OP8

I'm on FI and I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Moto G Power yesterday. My trusty old x4 just doesn't have the battery stamina that it used to have.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MREBoy posted:

If you look back a few pages I posted a pic of the battery of my 3.5 year old S7 Edge trying to go handgrenade on me. If the battery is the original OEM one it might be going bad. I'd suggest checking your phone for suspicious bulging on the back.

It's not an Edge, it's the regular S7, which doesn't grenade to my knowledge (though it's hard to Google because everyone likes to pretend the Edge was the only S7 and my phone doesn't exist). It gets noticeably hot, but there's no bulging, and the weird fuckery doesn't seem to 100% correlate.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don't confuse the Edge with the Note. The Note 7 was the one that was recalled, the Edge was fine.

It's just the matter that a 3.5 year old phone is likely to have a battery that's starting to go bad. So, the battery could be heating up more as power is drawn from it which could be causing the rest of the components to heat up and making it throttle. Or, pressure from an expanding battery may be messing up contact to heatsinks which is causing stuff to overheat.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Try a factory reset. Given the age of the phone if the problems don't go away after the reset I'd bet on hardware failure and start looking for a replacement.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
On the international Exynos S10 I only got one MacAfee prompt (which is one too many of course)

The device care section also used to have some shady Chinese app built in to clear storage but it seems to have been removed at some point.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

dissss posted:

The device care section also used to have some shady Chinese app built in to clear storage but it seems to have been removed at some point.

Yeah, it's a similar situation to Hiya. Samsung sells access to 3rd party vendors to make a quick buck off the handsets and whether or not they vet them properly is a crapshoot. I don't even think Qihoo 360 was the first example of this strategy backfiring on them either.

I got McAfee prompts for about the first week twice a day until they finally stopped on my unlocked S20 Ultra.

It's also shady as gently caress that the "Security" page within Device Care, the portal to the bundled McAfee software, basically has ad links within it too. It just makes your $1300 device feel cheap.

https://hiya.com/ss/places/privacy-policy/2018

Read through Hiya's privacy policy and see for yourself if this should be a thing that's embedded in the dialer that you can't remove.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 10, 2020

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I had a direct from Samsung unlocked device that never saw a SIM until much later and it still had the the whole McAfee thing and the full suite of Microsoft apps installed.

There's still way too much crap installed on them by default without carrier involvement.

Pretty sure that's a unlocked Samsung thing. Blows my mind that the unlocked Note 9 has the Facebook pre-installed and you can only disable it. I don't think I have any bloatware on the Verizon version. I was pretty surprised when I learned about the bloatware through Reddit and figured everyone else has the same phone experience since Verizon used to be awful about bloatware

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Pretty sure that's a unlocked Samsung thing. Blows my mind that the unlocked Note 9 has the Facebook pre-installed and you can only disable it. I don't think I have any bloatware on the Verizon version. I was pretty surprised when I learned about the bloatware through Reddit and figured everyone else has the same phone experience since Verizon used to be awful about bloatware

It's Samsung's way of loving you over even if you give the money directly to them. They're not getting a kickback from the carrier, so they fill the unlocked phones with even more "features".

mystes
May 31, 2006

If anyone's still using Dark Sky, Appy Weather seems like a nice replacement at least in the short term. If you do the $4/year subscription, it seems to be pretty much equivalent to the Dark Sky subscription.

The only problem is that they're apparently still using the Dark Sky API and trying to figure what to switch to, but since the API isn't being shut down for another year, that at least means that you can effectively get another year of Dark Sky service this way after the Dark Sky app and website shut down at the end of this month.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm using Today Weather with Dark Sky as the source and have noticed that for the last month or so, it's reading 3 or 4 degrees lower than Google or Weather.com.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'd think so. I'd go with the Stylus for more internal storage.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

not sure if I'm in exactly the right place to ask, but is there a portable battery people particularly like? I'm using a Google Pixel 3 right now

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Anker Power Banks have been good and reliable for me (and I think the brand is well regarded on Wirecutter as well. They have a pretty wide selection so you can tailor specifically to your needs (and cost); I have a usb C one since most of my stuff uses that now, and I have a 25600 mAh one which gives me multi-day charges of my phone and Switch while still small enough to travel with and still providing quick charging capability. Not sure what specs determines whether a powerbank will quick charge your phone or not, but it did work on my Pixel 2xl.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Seconding anker. I've been using one for my go to travel charger for my switch and phone, works great.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Definitely Anker!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

PageMaster posted:

Not sure what specs determines whether a powerbank will quick charge your phone or not, but it did work on my Pixel 2xl.

Whether or not it supports USB-C PD (power delivery) is usually the biggest indicator for newer phones. While it's possible to support PD and not have the correct voltage profile, that's pretty uncommon if it's sold as a charger for cellphones. For non-USB-C phones look for something like "Quick Charge" or "Power Qi" and output voltages of at least 2A.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I use all manner of Anker products all day. They are great. Especially their Life series headphones.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Seconding the Anker praise. First thing I bought from them was a wall charger with 4 ports that has been working flawlessly since 2015, then powerbanks, USB cables and even rechargeable flashlights that I use on my job. I discovered Anker through this thread so thanks again!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Re: OP7T's macro mode, I won't be selling my camera anytime soon, but it's actually pretty good.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Hell yeah hopping on the g power train. Trading in my busted x4 will cover the month of fi activation, and will just put in my verizon sim like the last time I did this. Thanks google

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 13, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I love everything about the Moto series except they can't be arsed to just put a good camera in them. So I finally moved on to the 3a. Comes in next week. Very excited (I bought my wife one for Christmas and love it).

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Stick a fork in the Pixel line, I can't take Google seriously anymore

https://twitter.com/jon_prosser/status/1271856685943009281

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Buff Hardback posted:

Stick a fork in the Pixel line, I can't take Google seriously anymore

https://twitter.com/jon_prosser/status/1271856685943009281

Google is a complete disaster at manufacturing and distribution.