Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

That eye totally has a personality backup of Sy in it, doesn't it?

My guess is that there's some kind of vault and/or arsenal under the mall, and it's locked behind a retinal scanner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I didn't realize that I wanted to see a snake man on TV. Thank you Stargirl.

Also...

cant cook creole bream posted:

Strargirl: Yolandas parents really suck.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

itry posted:

Send a second crew (same gender ratio) to Gotham Park :v:

I love this gag because it's taking the piss out of the fact that Montoya is the only female cop you ever seen working the DCAU.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

BioEnchanted posted:

I think my favourite line from Cy was "No one thinks of themselves as a war criminal but then one thing leads to another, you topple a couple of regimes and badabing badaboom your a war criminal!"

Injustice: Gods Among Us in a nutshell. :v:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Such a valuable impromptu violin session. Very important to play one short song and then immediately leave.

Strargirl: Yolandas parents really suck.

Really can't emphasize this enough.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol the cancer ray.

That whole bit was great, just one good gag after another. Harley being genuinely remorseful and apologetic despite straight up trying to kill the guy was hilarious.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the varying things triggering the joker getting more and more classic joker as it went on, almost following his entire trajectory as a person before and after becoming My J. First just casually cracking a joke at a appropriate time, then finding something funny that wasn't as funny as he seemed to think it was, then the Dark Night Pencil Trick when backed into a corner, then finally electroshock courtesy of the Batwing. From Civilian, to slightly off civillian, to violent criminal, to mental hospital patient.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 8, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Coxswain Balls posted:

That whole bit was great, just one good gag after another. Harley being genuinely remorseful and apologetic despite straight up trying to kill the guy was hilarious.

His distraught,"Harley Quinn.... why?" reaction was loving amazing.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Holy poo poo Yolanda's parents are monsters.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I forgot to state earlier, good god the absolute loving balls of Harley to invite Mrs. Freeze to that bachelorette party. I couldn't walk if I had balls that big.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tiggum posted:

I'm guessing that we're going to get more on her next episode and find out why she acts that way and that'll be the start of a pretty dramatic change.

With her doctor parents she's probably going to be the next Doctor Mid-Night also promotional material have already spoiled it.

It'll be interesting to see how they do Hourman considering how he gets his powers by doing drugs.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I'm guessing by simply turning the hourglass.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm honestly sort of charmed by Courtney's bowling ball approach to forming a new JSA, and the sequence of her and Yolanda bopping around trying out superhero powers was a delight.

Mike can still take a long walk off a short pier however.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I like how Stargirl isn’t afraid to portray its protagonists as genuinely dumb. Like, not naive or sheltered, but just plain bone stupid. It’s refreshing. Courtney’s going to feel right at home with the cast of Legends of Tomorrow during the inevitable crossover.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Phylodox posted:

I like how Stargirl isn’t afraid to portray its protagonists as genuinely dumb. Like, not naive or sheltered, but just plain bone stupid. It’s refreshing. Courtney’s going to feel right at home with the cast of Legends of Tomorrow during the inevitable crossover.

Yeah, I totally agree here. "It's a sneaking mission. Let's do it under the cover of darkness. I have a great idea for a distraction. I will cause a blackout!" For those not watching: Said mission is set in a hospital.
"Wikipedia says that you should be able to jump safely from any height. Let's test it out on top of this 5 story building."
"Well your ex-boyfriend seems to suck, but I thrashed his car, this makes us friends."

Courtney is kind of an endearing idiot, honestly.

I am kinda confused, why it is so contested between her and Pat if Starman was her father. Presumably, they both saw his face at some point. "Well Pat, how did Starman look under that mask, because my dad looked just like the guy from that old comedy series at some college. He was weirdly proud of that."

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jun 10, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Kinda want a scene post-Joker in Harley Quinn where the Joker's stepdaughter is hanging out with a friend discussing the recent resurgence:

"My step-dad just turned out to be a psychotic murderous clown for 30 years of his life."
"Yeah, I know how you feel, my Stepdad's Jerry Seinfeld."
"God you win, at least my stepdad is actually funny."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I am kinda confused, why it is so contested between her and Pat if Starman was her father. Presumably, they both saw his face at some point. "Well Pat, how did Starman look under that mask, because my dad looked just like the guy from that old comedy series at some college. He was weirdly proud of that."
I don't think she has any clear memories of what he looked like because he died when she was pretty young and rarely saw her before that. And I think Pat's right, she's just fixated on the idea and doesn't believe him, so he's not pushing it too hard because it's not that important right now.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Also, most heroes of superhero media tend to look vaguely similar to Joel McHale, anyways. Take sufficiently weathered pictures of Stephen Amel, Chris Pine, and Chris Hemsworth and I bet you’d be hard pressed to say which is which.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That's fair. Pat is a good dude.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

I'm honestly sort of charmed by Courtney's bowling ball approach to forming a new JSA, and the sequence of her and Yolanda bopping around trying out superhero powers was a delight.

Mike can still take a long walk off a short pier however.

Don't worry, his friend Jakiem is gonna find the pen and the genie inside so he'll be compelled to become part of the team because his new friend is part of it but still continue fulfilling the annoying little brother archetype.

That's fair. Pat is a good dude.

Pat is a really good guy and it'll be disappointing if/when he leaves the cast. I also assume he'd be replaced by Mike in that event

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Phylodox posted:

Courtney hits this perfect balance between boundless optimism/enthusiasm and incredble naivity/stupidity that's very "young teenager" and incredibly endearing :allears:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tiggum posted:

I don't think she has any clear memories of what he looked like because he died when she was pretty young and rarely saw her before that. And I think Pat's right, she's just fixated on the idea and doesn't believe him, so he's not pushing it too hard because it's not that important right now.

Just show Mom the picture saying Pat was a fan of the JS before they disappeared.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Courtney hits this perfect balance between boundless optimism/enthusiasm and incredble naivity/stupidity that's very "young teenager" and incredibly endearing :allears:

The combination of enthusiastic but dumb is very refreshing. Idk if there's been a person that's had that extreme of a balance yet. I think most, if not all of the major DCCW heroes have some level of practical heroing competence or academic competence when they started out, but Courtney basically had neither.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Has that black cat shown up before this episode? I know it was supposed to be there to lead Pat to his discovery, but I have a suspicion, especially after seeing that black top hat in the car.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

Has that black cat shown up before this episode? I know it was supposed to be there to lead Pat to his discovery, but I have a suspicion, especially after seeing that black top hat in the car.

It was in the car when the widow stopped by to tell pat she was leaving. Idk if it ever appeared before that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Xelkelvos posted:

The combination of enthusiastic but dumb is very refreshing. Idk if there's been a person that's had that extreme of a balance yet. I think most, if not all of the major DCCW heroes have some level of practical heroing competence or academic competence when they started out, but Courtney basically had neither.
Jen Pierce on Black Lightning comes pretty close. And if they had made Supergirl more of a teen show I definitely could see Kara being as bullheaded as Courtney (even now Kara has a tendency to prefer direct approach solutions to problems).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Jen Pierce on Black Lightning comes pretty close. And if they had made Supergirl more of a teen show I definitely could see Kara being as bullheaded as Courtney (even now Kara has a tendency to prefer direct approach solutions to problems).

Jen had a decent amount of street smarts compared to Courtney at least (and there's a big 'ol discussion about how that makes much more sense for a POC than for a white person there). But yeah, Kara had that sort of direct tendency that she was allowed to have since her enemies were rarely covert and she had the superpowers to back her up, She also had Superman's example to follow though when she started.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

Cosmic Staff is the brains of the operation.

In other news...

What time is it?

Time for Doom Patrol Season 2 trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6CVfIciTYU

9 episode season beginning June 25, that's just a fortnight away.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
DC Universe was definitely a flop I guess so all the TV shows and stuff are gonna go on Warner's more mainstream service to also help it up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Siri, what is Doom Patrol?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
All I know about the Doom Patrol is that they were in the 2003 Teen Titans show and their main villains are a brain in a jar and discount Gorilla Grodd.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Phylodox posted:

They’re 15 year olds. Try to remember any interaction you had at that age or any actions you made. You could be the smartest teenager in the world, but you’d still be a teenager and your mind would just work a particular way.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Nine episode season because of Corona, I'm guessing? So I wouldn't expect a strong resolution to ongoing plots.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Chokes McGee posted:

"Do you want to know how I got my MMFMGMFM" *dunk*

"Why does he have a mustache now?!"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

All I know about the Doom Patrol is that they were in the 2003 Teen Titans show and their main villains are a brain in a jar and discount Gorilla Grodd.

Also, the brain and the gorilla are a happily married couple.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Binary Logic posted:

Cosmic Staff is the brains of the operation.

In other news...

What time is it?

Time for Doom Patrol Season 2 trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6CVfIciTYU

9 episode season beginning June 25, that's just a fortnight away.

Oh wow, so soon? ...or is it soon. I'm losing track of time with these shows. Well, not complaining.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So the 100-page 80th Anniversary Joker Spectacular has one good story in it:

Joker kills Batman, and is about to Smilex bomb the funeral during the eulogy, and has a moment of clarity about how he killed "the only person who ever 'got' him." He wonders about who else he'd arch, but finally comes to the conclusion that there's only one place where he could get off on tormenting others...

...he becomes a clerk at the Gotham Department of Motor Vehicles. I SO want to see that happen now in HQ.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The Dini one was okay, if only because it was also a Harley and Ivy story and casual outfits that'd probably look great on the show (though since it was Dini writing, this Harley is basically the pre-New52 version where she never got dunked).

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xelkelvos posted:

The Dini one was okay, if only because it was also a Harley and Ivy story and casual outfits that'd probably look great on the show (though since it was Dini writing, this Harley is basically the pre-New52 version where she never got dunked).

What is going on with that art and why is Harley talking with a western accent :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Chokes McGee posted:

What is going on with that art and why is Harley talking with a western accent :psyduck:

She talks like that in a lot of the comics, i think its their approximation of her "new york jew" accent.