Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jose posted:

they're actively insulting the membership now

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1270688411930640385?s=20

how is this an insult?

this could very easily blow up in their faces though if the media attack labour by pointing out labours own lovely treatment of BAME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

God i wish it could be that good. As it stands, every country is doing a racism and competing to see who does it hardest, fastest

we didnt see it coming but ww3 is every nation on earth vs its own citizens

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Communist Thoughts posted:

how is this an insult?

this could very easily blow up in their faces though if the media attack labour by pointing out labours own lovely treatment of BAME

nobody being racist in labours report has been even suspended pending investigation

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

This was posted on another forum with people gob smacked that someone like the caller can exist. But I think it's a pretty decent call to be honest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j1Ppi7CimA

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

AI is finally indistinguishable from humans :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/cstross/status/1270273981283794948

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
How legitimate is https://www.businessinsider.com I often see it linked on reddit to stories about russia/brexit etc. I never know what to make of it though it seems quite click baity.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Jose posted:

nobody being racist in labours report has been even suspended pending investigation

gotcha, didnt know if you were referring to something else

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I grovel at the astounding abilties of this man:

https://twitter.com/BritishGQ/status/1270701309516283910?s=20

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

And what's really amazing is he can do all that without saying anything of substance.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
firing neil ferguson and then rallying round cummings continuing to work out great for the government:

https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1270730651113869317

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

How thick are GQ readers that the editor thinks that's likely to impress them?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
reports coming in that keir starmer can dress himself all my himself every morning and even tie his own shoelaces all on his own

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

kingturnip posted:

How thick are GQ readers that the editor thinks that's likely to impress them?

GQ readers are middle managers in their 40s, these are the skills they can only dream of.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So Keir has the skills required for a minimum wage admin job in the city? Give that man a country to run ASAP.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jippa posted:

How legitimate is https://www.businessinsider.com I often see it linked on reddit to stories about russia/brexit etc. I never know what to make of it though it seems quite click baity.

they've got good enough westminster connections to had legitimate reporting but one of its founders is banned permanently from securities trading for insider trading lol

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

stev posted:

So Keir has the skills required for a minimum wage admin job in the city? Give that man a country to run ASAP.

you laugh but you're describing the civil service, who do run the country

and when a state develops a professional civil service it stops having revolutions, so clearly it does its job if nothing else

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Jesus. Virtually anyone who has worked in the corporate, or any other, world can do those things. Low loving bar.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

In walks Kier Starmer the new chairman of the forum
To stand against the tories by applauding weakly for em
Reports of racial prejudice? Pretend you never saw em
We won't get our revolution, but at least we'll have decorum

Isomermaid fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 10, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
- A* Maths and English Language GCSE
- Good general computer skills (inc. Microsoft Word, Excel etc.)
- Full UK driving licence
- Qualified first aider

e: lol just noticed the subtitle is "Keir Starmer is the Labour party in human form" and idk if that's supposed to be a compliment?

XMNN fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 10, 2020

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ratjaculation posted:

Most didn't revolt when 160,000 lives were needlessly cut short because of tory rule. They didn't revolt when nurses were paid below their means of living. They didn't care that May magically misplaced the only copy of a document listing Tory nonces in the HoL. They didn't react to Windrush or any of the other countless xenophobic scandals.

Nothing will change.

It's because they either know and don't care (because it doesn't affect them), or they just blindly absorb what is fed to them by the Tory press.

Yes yes nothing matters. So why do any of us bother?

Yeah it’s not really a useful attitude. Ace of flames got ran out of the thread for holding what is actually a valid realistic outlook if we are to all start thinking like this.

His outlook was ‘why bother’. If you are right, why bother?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yes yes nothing matters. So why do any of us bother?

Yeah it’s not really a useful attitude. Ace of flames got ran out of the thread for holding what is actually a valid realistic outlook if we are to all start thinking like this.

His outlook was ‘why bother’. If you are right, why bother?

His outlook may have been "why bother", but his method of expressing it was histrionic

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol whoever wrote this article has some pretty severe thinking problems

quote:

Start with this: he allows voters the space to express some of their pretty left-wing views. Some Corbynite bloggers and tweeters would have you believe that Starmer is some sort of Blairite hand-me-down, all smart suits and lovely hair. This is nonsense. In fact, he is pretty solidly left-wing – much more left-wing than any Labour leader since Neil Kinnock. 

It’s important to remember that voters rejected Labour, narrowly in 2017 and then pretty much totally in 2019, not because of their policy thrust but because they weren’t trusted or liked. During the last election, 64 per cent of voters told YouGov that they backed raising the top rate of income tax and 54 per cent were in favour of making companies appoint workers to their boards.

Starmer agrees with most of that, but what he wants and needs to do is build trust and believability. So what you might find, as he moves on from first impressions to policy, is that a lot of these Corbynite ambitions will remain in place, but as a roster of ambitions with a realistic timeframe and with some of the nonsense stripped out. 

Nationalising trains will stay; water nationalisation may morph into mutualisation; taking the entire energy industry into public hands might fall by the wayside. And so on. When you cut away the chaff, the actually useful seeds can be recovered. 
so he's more left wing than Corbyn, but Corbyn's policies were lefty nonsense which needed to be eviscerated winnowed out to get the core useful seeds of "not doing things" out of them, but the problem was Corbyn not his policies, which Keir is keeping except not keeping

I just scrolled past this bolded bit and decided I'm not reading any more of this shite

quote:

OVERALL, HE IS A BUNDLE OF SHEER LABOURNESS, THE PARTY’S CONTRADICTIONS AND FEELINGS IN A SINGLE ROUND LOZENGE OF A SUGAR HIT

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

XMNN posted:

e: lol just noticed the subtitle is "Keir Starmer is the Labour party in human form" and idk if that's supposed to be a compliment?

It's a completely depressing and deflating indictment of the labour party, which is why the reptiles made him leader

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

so he's more left wing than Corbyn, but Corbyn's policies were lefty nonsense which needed to be eviscerated winnowed out to get the core useful seeds of "not doing things" out of them, but the problem was Corbyn not his policies, which Keir is keeping except not keeping

I just scrolled past this bolded bit and decided I'm not reading any more of this shite
What do they mean by "water nationalisation may morph into mutualisation"? Because the arguments for water being in public hands are stronger than for any of the others. Water is needed to live, it's needed for public health, and unlike with electricity or gas there's not even the facade of choice. My water company is determined solely by where I live. There's no good case for that being owned even by the employees as a mutual, it's the common property of every person who resides in that watershed.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

XMNN posted:

- A* Maths and English Language GCSE
- Good general computer skills (inc. Microsoft Word, Excel etc.)
- Full UK driving licence
- Qualified first aider

You forgot
- Forensic

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

XMNN posted:

It's how Starmer was running the leadership contest- he'll keep most of the manifesto but he'll be "professional" and that wins elections. If you think the 2024 manifesto will have the same commitments after the last 2 months I have a bridge to sell you, but as an article it at least remembers that 2017 happened which is better than many.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

they've got good enough westminster connections to had legitimate reporting but one of its founders is banned permanently from securities trading for insider trading lol

Most of their freelancers get their jobs from interesting Twitter posts. It's basically Medium with a teeny tiny modicum of editorial control - as such it frequently has interesting stuff, but as an actual source of facts it's somewhere between the bloke down the pub and Wikipedia.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I'll bet that Keri Stammers gets the peel off oranges all in one bit every time :allears:

even the big ones

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Johnson has announced that single people living alone may gently caress again.
But only by obeying a set of restrictions like something out of a Crystal Maze puzzle.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

crispix posted:

I'll bet that Keri Stammers gets the peel off oranges all in one bit every time :allears:

even the big ones

He's probably got a man-servant to do that for him

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Cerv posted:

Johnson has announced that single people living alone may gently caress again.
But only by obeying a set of restrictions like something out of a Crystal Maze puzzle.
I've been using these rules since they came out

- Avoid kissing or exchanging saliva with anyone outside of your household.
- Avoid sexual activities which include licking around the anus.
- Use condoms or dental dams to reduce contact with saliva or poo.
- Take a shower and wash your hands and body thoroughly with soap and water both before and after sex.
- If you use sex toys, wash these thoroughly with soap and water and do not share them.
- Consider sexual arousal techniques that don’t involve physical contact – like talking.
- Mutual masturbation while physical distancing.
- Limit your physical interactions by reducing the number of sexual partners you have overall, and/or at the same time.

http://avert.org/coronavirus/covid19-sex

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So instead of Futurama, at 6pm Sky One is doing a broadcast where apparently we're all being encouraged to take a knee on our doorsteps for Floyd George. There are people out protesting in the streets, but of course this is the proper way to get things done.

Fuuuuuuck this country, so, so loving hard.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Most of their freelancers get their jobs from interesting Twitter posts. It's basically Medium with a teeny tiny modicum of editorial control - as such it frequently has interesting stuff, but as an actual source of facts it's somewhere between the bloke down the pub and Wikipedia.

so as good as good as the rest then lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

so as good as good as the rest then lol

Well apparently they pay quicker than a lot of the nationals, so possibly slightly better.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Guess we found out what "water nationalisation may morph into mutualisation" means.

Ratjaculation posted:

- Mutual masturbation while physical distancing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

OwlFancier posted:

Why on earth didn't bill clinton pay for his own drat oxford?

Clinton grew up poor as hell AFAIR.

Anyway, it's JK Rowling time!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Ms Adequate posted:

Anyway, it's JK Rowling time!

oh no she's tweeted again. why. why did she do this. why can it just not ever be jk rowling time again

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011

Ratjaculation posted:

I've been using these rules since they came out

- Avoid sexual activities which include licking around the anus.

http://avert.org/coronavirus/covid19-sex

If only

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
"COVID-19 and BAME!" seems like a gambit to pre-empt the inevitable "BLM CAUSED CORONAGADDEON" headlines when the coronavirus case count does resurge and the Tories suddenly embrace waving a bloody nursing-home shirt again

The Tory faction that was pushing for a more vigorous attitude toward China - for Hong Kong or Huawei or COVID-19 related reasons alike - have been pushed aside for now, so there needs to be another public enemy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Perfect Element posted:

OwlFancier, do you write about this sort of stuff in any sort of professional capacity, or even for non professional publications? You consistently deliver the most lucid explanation and defence of left wing ideology that I've come across, and I think if more people read your posts than just those in this dead forum, we (well, you) could convert more people to the cause.

You're all darlings.

I don't write anything in a professional capacity or for any publication, just here. If you want to nick anything and repost it though you can if you think someone would benefit from it.

killerwhat posted:

From last page, but what would people suggest as news or discussion sources? Aside from this thread, which has been a wonderful and informative find. I used to read the Guardian but have given up on it.

I genuinely only read here and haven't ever watched the news or read the papers. Anything worth knowing about gets reposted here and anything else you can do without knowing. I think the fact that the news exists means people feel they have to watch it but, like, that's sort of the point. A lot of it trades on that sense of anxiety that you aren't up to date with all the trivia. But like with a lot of things under capitalism I tend to view it more as a marketed commodity, it's in the paper or on the telly which gives it perceived value, which means you want to consume it, which justifies producing more of it, but you really could be doing anything else with your life instead.

There are some bits of more technical political info that get posted ITT which are likely useful to specific people, but I don't know where people get them from, it's not the kind of stuff the news reports on. Your other best bet would probably be a similar structure of "having a bunch of twitter feeds that are good at digging up useful political info". I tend to think that the community structure of the thread makes it really good at filtering out actually important things, and I'd also suggest that the death of actual communities and communal spaces in real life and their replacement with a news feed through the telly and the papers is a big reason for politics being the way it is. Because it replaces a class based participatory concept of politics with everyone sitting in their own home watching whatever the editors of the BBC and the papers think they should know. Which is why I think the news is generally more harmful than it is good.

I think you'll learn a lot more on twitter than you would off the news. People post actual videos of things happening, you just need to be able to filter out the bias, but you also need to do that with the broadcast news too so it's not much different. At least you're more likely to see an actual image of reality rather than the BBC editing the footage to make the tories look good. Any individual account might be poo poo but you can find one with a different angle, which with some critical thinking I think is better than only having the one curated perspective. I don't think there's really any way to get an accurate view of the world that doesn't involve that effort though, you can't trust any organization to do that critical analysis for you.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 10, 2020