Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
That is some...wild poo poo.

I've met them a few times, and always found them pleasant, but then I heard rumors they were super stand-offish when they would meet black fans in the parks, and that didn't quite sit well, and now this comes out...Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

That is some...wild poo poo.

I've met them a few times, and always found them pleasant, but then I heard rumors they were super stand-offish when they would meet black fans in the parks, and that didn't quite sit well, and now this comes out...Welp.

I'd read the stuff about them being stand-offish but never saw anything related to race about it. I'd always seen a lot of the criticism that was thrown at them and some of it seemed to have basis and other parts of it seemed over the top. I really don't care what sort of house they live in and what sort of car they drive. There's also this segment out there who seem just so over the top in what they say with some pretty awful stuff about how they parent all the way to wishing ill on their kid which is just loving awful. Despite all of that man the full extent of this is pretty damning and awful. I regret my initial post and should have investigated further. Ugh.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Vloggers and influencers all seem like miserable people with awful lives because of that bullshit and the never ending drive to monetize every aspect of their lives. In this case it seems like that just caught up to them.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Vloggers and influencers all seem like miserable people with awful lives because of that bullshit and the never ending drive to monetize every aspect of their lives. In this case it seems like that just caught up to them.

Yeah, my Mum follows the Ballinger family and they just had their own situation that was similar to this. They do Disney stuff but they also focus on their kids who are home schooled. The oldest is a tween or young teen who wants to break into acting and the whole thing is just a little too creepy for me.

There are going to be some hosed up families that emerge from this whole thing, both in terms of having your life online but also the relentless grind to put out content. It's been sad to see how desperate some of them have become with the parks closed.

TLDR: Don't put your whole loving life on YouTube.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

lmao never heard of them but I was curious if they were related to Colleen Ballinger and yep (which also explains why their seemingly garbage content has over a million subscribers). She also just had a big drama bomb when an underage fan came forward about inappropriate contacts she had with him for years when she was married and sending him lingerie as a joke(?). loving social media was a mistake. Burn the internet.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Good gravy. Okay to get us back on topic and before I take a long shower to wash the horror off of me...

The NBA will be descending on WDW starting in July! No idea how much of an impact it's going to have on the overall resort but it sounds like they'll be staying at Coronado Springs. Makes sense given that it's new, has plenty of space for meetings, press junkets and all that jazz. They'll be playing at the Wide World of Sports so I imagine that whole area is going to be locked down to all hell.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Obviously you have to have some social disorders to be an influencer but what possible reason would anyone have for watching their content? Literally anything else you can do is a better use of time

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I have the day off so I'm at Disney Springs. No lines to enter World of Disney today and no lack of Baby Yoda merch.

https://twitter.com/cchard/status/1268978128510214146?s=21

https://twitter.com/cchard/status/1268979790469632007?s=21

About half the locations are still closed.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The Baby Yoda craze feels like it’s a million years ago. They even have shirts with Baby Yoda at Five Below now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This is simultaneously the shortest and longest year of my life.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The good news is that I've seen a lot better mask compliance at the Springs today. Only one couple stood out to me. They looked to be late teens early twenties and they were just walking around with no masks in sight. I saw them get denied entry to World of Disney before they went off a different way then I did. Not sure how they even got passed they entry screen without masks.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Zero One posted:

The good news is that I've seen a lot better mask compliance at the Springs today. Only one couple stood out to me. They looked to be late teens early twenties and they were just walking around with no masks in sight. I saw them get denied entry to World of Disney before they went off a different way then I did. Not sure how they even got passed they entry screen without masks.

Wear them, walk in, take them off.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was there on the 28th for my birthday and it was probably 90% mask compliance. The only people removing them were in the less populated areas where they must have figured it was okay.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Silly Burrito posted:

Wear them, walk in, take them off.

Yeah but where were the "fake" masks when they got denied at WoD? Did they trash them immediately after getting in?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I wondered the same thing. I was there yesterday as well, and I thought compliance was very good. We took ours off only when drinking and when we had lunch at WBG. I saw a few random couples without masks, but the majority of those had drinks in their hands. One or two couples had no mask and no drink.

I did appreciate the banter of the First Order troops, and was pleasantly surprised one of them was a female.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Tiki Talk

Finally framed that awesome print and bought a little liquor cabinet. Happy with how it came out and I can fit all my mugs in there. Miss you, Trader Sams.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I've been shopping around trying to find a bamboo styled frame for mine. With everything going on, it's sorta fallen by the wayside.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Where can I cop that Tiki Bar poster?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

It was a timed edition unfortunately on Gallery 1988 for 3 days back in April

https://hasunow.com/tiki-bars-across-the-usa-1

https://nineteeneightyeight.com/

Maybe there's some floating out there or the artist might be selling some if you reach out?
https://www.etsy.com/shop/hasunow

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I just caught up on all the TimTracker drama... poo poo. I stopped watching them a while back when they started doing too many food reviews. Their vocabulary to discuss food, its preparation or the sensations of the bite and taste were amateurish, at the best of times. So it became more annoying than entertaining.

Anyhow, onto actual timely events - Due to COVID, is there any speculation on what WDW might do for the Magic Kingdom 50th anniversary next year at this point?

We were planning to do a big family trip so we could all go and my daughter would just be old enough to actually appreciate any of it. But if it's just going to be some branded merchandise and not much else, we'll probably plan to take the whole crew to Disneyland instead. I've never been there, and my father-in-law is originally from somewhere in SoCal and wants to revisit the park one more time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Doronin posted:

Due to COVID, is there any speculation on what WDW might do for the Magic Kingdom 50th anniversary next year at this point?

I don't think there's any credible information right now other than what attractions were planned to be open beforehand, but I would be surprised if COVID-19 affects an actual event as that would be beyond the point when the pandemic is expected to be long over.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 7, 2020

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I've only heard it from Jim Hill on the Disney Dish Podcast, so take it with a grain of salt. But he alleged that the original plan was to run the anniversary for over a year, starting January 1st 2021. And now it might be that it will start on the Magic Kingdom's actual opening date on October 1st. And a number of rides that were planned as part of the year long celebration like Tron and Guardians of the Galaxy will likely have to open up either late into the event, or after it. So far, it sounds like the only one that might make it under the wire is Ratatoulie.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
From what I hear Ratatouille is essentially ready to go, ride-wise. Where they stalled was the new land expansion, so I would imagine we'll see it pushed to 2021 just because of that. Maybe very late 2020 if they are willing to do a big ride opening in these social distanced versions of the park.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey remember when mickey run a way train opened this year

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Empress Brosephine posted:

Yeah, it's my new favorite ride. :3:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
One of these days I'll get to ride RotR and Runaway Railway...

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think there's any credible information right now other than what attractions were planned to be open beforehand, but I would be surprised if COVID-19 affects an actual event as that would be beyond the point when the pandemic is expected to be long over.

Oh for sure, hopefully we'll be well past the pandemic by that point. But I was wondering if plans were being scaled back drastically or rescheduled in any way that anyone is aware of.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I've only heard it from Jim Hill on the Disney Dish Podcast, so take it with a grain of salt. But he alleged that the original plan was to run the anniversary for over a year, starting January 1st 2021. And now it might be that it will start on the Magic Kingdom's actual opening date on October 1st. And a number of rides that were planned as part of the year long celebration like Tron and Guardians of the Galaxy will likely have to open up either late into the event, or after it. So far, it sounds like the only one that might make it under the wire is Ratatoulie.

This makes sense. I heard a very similar rumor from a friend who had recently left Disney as a CM.

I'm going to keep an eye on it, because if there isn't much new or special happening around the 50th, I don't see any reason to prioritize a huge family trip around it. We're still over a year away from the true 50th anny, and a lot can happen. I hope.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

remember when we could do things like ride it without fearing for our lives

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

what the gently caress do you mean "this year"

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I remember when that news came out. It was, what, five, six years ago?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Some questuonable opinions from Disney forums on campaign to retheme Splash Mountain.

"Disney just doesn't have any money to do it! That's the only reason I don't like the idea!"

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/renewed-push-to-retheme-splash-mountain.965531/

user named Brer Oswald posted:

A waste of money. A waste of time. A waste of effort. You can kiss your Imagination refurb goodbye, as well as anything else that was being considered to be added to the parks after guardians.
Between gutting a popular E Ticket on two coasts and dealing with the fallout of the pandemic? I feel bad for Disney.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Splash mountain is my favorite ride and I love bree rabbit but I would be okay with a princess and frog make over, although we all know that we'd end up with something more mainstream

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I think the princess and the Frog idea would be perfect, but in the same breath I don't think it's necessary to retheme splash mountain. The ride has distanced itself quite a bit from the source property, enough that I think it has become its own thing.

That said, I wouldn't go chaining myself to the ride/tearing up APs/having public meltdowns if they decide they want to move on from the current theme.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Man y'all got hella mad at me when I said they should re-theme Splash.....

That being said, I am way more in favor of them changing it to A Goofy Movie than Princess and the Frog. Though I love both movies and would love to see either. I just love A Goofy Movie so much and it feels a little more in line with the Critter Country theming.

But I *love* the idea of retheming the Tarzan treehouse in Disneyland to Princess and the Frog. It would be a great transition from Adventureland to New Orleans Square.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

BlueBayou posted:

Man y'all got hella mad at me when I said they should re-theme Splash.....

That being said, I am way more in favor of them changing it to A Goofy Movie than Princess and the Frog. Though I love both movies and would love to see either. I just love A Goofy Movie so much and it feels a little more in line with the Critter Country theming.

But I *love* the idea of retheming the Tarzan treehouse in Disneyland to Princess and the Frog. It would be a great transition from Adventureland to New Orleans Square.

Change log flumes to goofy's yellow car, play movie songs throughout. Giant show room at the end is the power line concert. I can dig this as well

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I would be shocked if they changed Splash and not because they're scared of backlash, but they're seemingly entirely against admitting former issues and more concerned with portraying themselves as good now.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

also nobody knows Splash is song of the south themed unless someone tells them

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Some fuckhead on twitter thinks we should re-theme it to pocahontas and I've been yelling about that for 45 minutes because gently caress that.

Brother Bear has its problems too. I don't think Fox and the Hound would work. I'm sure we could do something with Toy Story but wow that's a lot of Toy Story stuff, then.

I still really like the way WB released their old, lovely content with "hey this poo poo is wrong" and not shying away from it and I wish Disney would do the same.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

alg posted:

also nobody knows Splash is song of the south themed unless someone tells them

Not to mention half the theming is animatronics from closed down attractions, rather than Song of the South characters.

The dumbo ride has as much connection to racism in the Dumbo movie as Splash does to Song of the South - everyone who knows about the connection to racism knows the depictions in their respective movies were racist and bad, and everyone who doesn’t know about the connections won’t be exposed to any racism by going on the rides.

Edit: re-theme Splash to Emperor’s New Groove please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Nottherealaborn posted:

Edit: re-theme Splash to Emperor’s New Groove please

How do you groove
Not a lot of drama
How do you groove
Kuzco is a llama