Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Azathoth posted:

Literally the only thing keeping me from saying "gently caress it" and not wearing a mask, going back into the office, going out again is the knowledge that I might hurt someone else by doing that. I have come to terms with the fact that I'm going to get it and so will most of my family, because we're so loving broken as a society that even mild measures to stop millions of deaths just got pushed aside.

I legit don't know what to do when everyone is wandering around pointing loaded guns at each other and insisting it's all cool and no one's gonna get shot stop overreacting

mind over matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's getting harder for me to give a poo poo and wear a mask because most people have given up or aren't bothering so you feel a little bit more like a weirdo being the only one at the pharmacy wearing a mask. Still the risk of exposing my family to it keeps me honest.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dreylad posted:

It's getting harder for me to give a poo poo and wear a mask because most people have given up or aren't bothering so you feel a little bit more like a weirdo being the only one at the pharmacy wearing a mask. Still the risk of exposing my family to it keeps me honest.

Masks need to be banned so that the economy will fully open

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

We're going to be in this tenuous loving balancing act of OPEN ER UP vs people's lungs disintegrating for the next two years until we agree on an acceptable death rate plateau, then maintain that plateau indefinitely while this thing goes endemic, aren't we. AREN'T WE.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Mr Hootington posted:

You went to the gym when they opened.

lol

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

a_pineapple posted:

We're going to be in this tenuous loving balancing act of OPEN ER UP vs people's lungs disintegrating for the next two years until we agree on an acceptable death rate plateau, then maintain that plateau indefinitely while this thing goes endemic, aren't we. AREN'T WE.

an effective vaccine will be developed and manufactured at some point, probably

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

a_pineapple posted:

There's going to half a dozen vaccines for it in under a year. It will just be endemic to the the antivaxers and immunocompromised.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Mr Hootington posted:

You went to the gym when they opened.

hoots, that man had a family

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

brugroffil posted:

an effective vaccine will be developed and manufactured at some point, probably

it's gonna be very useful in other countries for stopping Americans from spreading the virus around their country

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
survive long enough to get vaccinated, then you’ll be able to outrun the Crunchy-Lunged Wheezers after the economic crash and ensuing societal collapse.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I don’t want to get this stupid disease.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Springfield is the capital of the U.S. state of Illinois and the county seat and largest city of Sangamon County. As of 2019, the city's population was estimated to have decreased to 114,230,

Can't wait for you to post this using Chicagos population in 6 months

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
nevermind

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

mastershakeman posted:

Can't wait for you to post this using Chicagos population in 6 months

Clovis is a city in Fresno County, California, United States Estimate (2019)[10] 114,584

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
is there a better tracker out there than worldometers because not having per-capita information makes tracking individual state openeruping somewhat meaningless

wasn't a goon hosting something like "pretty good covid tracker" at some poitN?

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Gunshow Poophole posted:

is there a better tracker out there than worldometers because not having per-capita information makes tracking individual state openeruping somewhat meaningless

I don't think it's being updated anymore.
https://realgoodcovidtracker.com/

e: I wish I could remember where I grabbed this from:

Bruce Hussein Daddy has issued a correction as of 19:25 on Jun 10, 2020

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09/health/asymptomatic-presymptomatic-coronavirus-spread-explained-wellness/index.html

This winter, all the montage music from the 1994 holiday film The Santa Clause, but with scenes of people getting sick, mass graves, and body bags instead

a_pineapple posted:

I decided to do a local back-of-the-envelope calculation on the death rate plateau that's been decided on locally in my county of about 700,000. It's 2.5 deaths per day

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 19:25 on Jun 10, 2020

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

lol no

I've been posting a lot about this in the D&D thread because my girlfriend, my mom, and several close friends all work in administration for different school systems. I don't know how things work outside of CT, but I can say for certain here that you're not just going to get schools rolling over and saying "whatever" because people have to work. The teacher and administrative unions do not give one single gently caress about your job or about how much it sucks to be stuck home with your kids.

School reopening plans right now are basically giant middle fingers towards city fiscal officers. Their purpose is literally to say that no city can afford the cost of doing this right, so either suck it up and devote the whole municipal budget to education or just accept long-term distance learning. Fall is going to be an absolute nightmare because lots of parents are going to be stuck with their kids whether they like it or not, and no amount of whining from city governments will change anything.

Sorry from a few pages back my experience here I really think the administration at the district level kind of failed their way up there so you don't notice how useless they are until there's a shock to the system and they're unable to react to it. I am not saying this is true for your friends and family.

I have parents calling me daily and crying because behaviors are escalating and there's nothing I can do from a distance and I'm getting no guidance from above. I got word yesterday that they are considering leaving it up to the individual schools and teachers to decide, which is fine, but if it took them three months to decide that then lol gently caress them any pay cut should come from them and not the teachers union.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

indigi posted:

I want to have it but have a super mild case that I don't notice TBH

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Thoguh posted:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Thoguh posted:

that’d be ideal personally but I live with an immunocompromised person so it probably wouldn’t be great for them if I got it

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Thoguh posted:

my brother in law got a positive antibody test after being medium sick for a week early March and I'm pretty jealous

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

I don't think it's being updated anymore.
https://realgoodcovidtracker.com/

e: I wish I could remember where I grabbed this from:

I was mistaken anyway there's a "per 1M population" column on the worldometers sheet that fits the bill, I suppose

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

my brother in law got a positive antibody test after being medium sick for a week early March and I'm pretty jealous

Get his blood plasma and you're set.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

Was it one of the tests that actually worked though?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

net work error posted:

Was it one of the tests that actually worked though?

dunno, he took two different antibody tests and he's not changing his behavior with regards to distancing and masks but it's good piece of mind

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000
i mean really if 5-10% of the US population just suddenly vanished (or died and were buried in a mass, unmarked grave) and all the survivors could collectively agree not to give a poo poo, the world would objectively be a better place. that's sort of what we are approximating here so i've decided to start looking at the bright side

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Nocturtle posted:

Get his blood plasma and you're set.

yo don't hog all the plasma. give me some

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

indigi posted:

loving same

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what is the best guess for the immunity period

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

euphronius posted:

Remember reading they are not sure, but best guess is 2-3 months. :smith:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

FizFashizzle posted:

Yesterday we had a patient come into the office who’d had his truck roll over his leg while he was working on it. Second time in two months that’s happened. We’ve got him in today for wound care but we have to wear advanced surgical gear because he hasn’t got his covid test back yet.

But we loving saw him in the office yesterday and the hospitals let him in without masks I ahahahahahaha just gently caress it who cares

Chud yesterday took off his mask for the mri going on about fake news masks don't do anything. And then cough all over my coworkers face, no attempt to cover his mouth or anything. People are loving unreal. I'm getting tired of all the assholes that just cough up a storm coming down to mri without a care in the world. Laying on the table just spewing their cum infections as you stand over their faces.

I was about to flip my poo poo at a hospitalist for ordering a cspine mri on a raging covid patient.... for cervical stenosis.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zil posted:

the biggest RIP in the world

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zil posted:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Gunshow Poophole posted:

91 divoc does it all

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

not long enough

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

It occurs to me that there must be a least one billionaire receiving regular plasma transfusions from a rotating set of covid-19 survivors carefully screened for a strong antibody response and lack of existing infection. There's at least one.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zil posted:

if this is true and if covid goes endemic then the rest of our lives we'll be catching this plague 1-2x/year until it finally kills us

it's so beautiful I might shed a tear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nocturtle posted:

It occurs to me that there must be a least one billionaire receiving regular plasma transfusions from a rotating set of covid-19 survivors carefully screened for a strong antibody response and lack of existing infection. There's at least one.

peter thiel