Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Trump
This poll is closed.
Trump 94 0.22%
Toop 115 0.27%
Trno 109 0.25%
Tumble 109 0.25%
Torp 42163 98.21%
Treep 106 0.25%
Truro 112 0.26%
Traml 122 0.28%
Total: 637 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Offer the base names to brands.

Yeah I'm stationed at Fort GoDaddy.com

Ft. Forty McFort Face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/FrancoOrdonez/status/1270790621133971457

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Zil posted:

Is that like pre-diabetes or something else? Didn't know you could get it temporarily

kinda

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

James M. McPherson's reference to "the bumblers like Bragg and Pemberton and Hood who lost the West"[61] sums up the judgment of many modern historians. Bragg's shortcomings as an army commander included his unimaginative tactics, mostly his reliance on frontal assault (such as the Hornet's Nest at Shiloh, Breckinridge's assault at Stones River, and numerous instances at Chickamauga), and his lack of post-battle follow-up that turned tactical victories or draws into strategic disappointments (Perryville and Chickamauga). His sour disposition, penchant to blame others for defeat, and poor interpersonal skills undoubtedly caused him to be criticized more directly than many of his unsuccessful contemporaries. Peter Cozzens wrote about his relationship with subordinates:[62]

Even Bragg's staunchest supporters admonished him for his quick temper, general irritability, and tendency to wound innocent men with barbs thrown during his frequent fits of anger. His reluctance to praise or flatter was exceeded, we are told, only by the tenacity with which, once formed, he clung to an adverse impression of a subordinate. For such officers—and they were many in the Army of Mississippi—Bragg's removal or their transfer were the only alternatives to an unbearable existence.
— Peter Cozzens, No Better Place to Die: The Battle of Stones River

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

UFOTacoMan posted:

thinking about those fables

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Offer the base names to brands.

Yeah I'm stationed at Fort GoDaddy.com

Fort Arby's,

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

if you've never seen a raccoon herding goats before, here's your chance

https://twitter.com/merrinish/status/1270584514788700160

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

those winners known as confederate generals

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

At least they didn't print out a screenshot of the tweets lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

boethius posted:

It was General Petreaus, I believe.

he's running

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

lorn Wayne posted:

great time to find out i have (potentially) temporary diabetes. and I'm not even overweight or whatever.

just a fantastic start to the decade all round gj lads

i suspect i'm the same but im scared to get it checked out

i had cereal for breakfast this morning and got the shakes like two hours later, something that happens all too often when i drink milk

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Shear Modulus posted:

he's running

Need to find some new reporters to bang

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1270787621749309440?s=20

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pancakes posted:

Today’s Alexis photo:

Do you ever play "Got your tongue" with your dog?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
just learned that my friend isn't going to have a funeral because he put it in his will that he didn't want his friends to get sick

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

UFOTacoMan posted:

Fort Turmp
Fort Rmput
Fort Tumpr
Fort Tmfrup
Fort Mrput
Fort Tmpjur
Fort Trjump
Fort Timrup
Fort Tprum

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

NofrikinfuN posted:

i had cereal for breakfast this morning and got the shakes like two hours later, something that happens all too often when i drink milk

same, but the shits. just needed some lactase or dairy-free milk.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NofrikinfuN posted:

You seem to be allergic to cornpop

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

fits my needs posted:

Fort Arby's,

Sir, this is a Wendy's Drive Thru

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Fort Bennings only victory is preserving the last stand of old growth pine in georgia, something that only happened by accident because it was/is near an artillery or chemical weapons testing site or some poo poo idk

anyway save the red cockaded woodpecker

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Need to find some new reporters to bang

Fort A Good Time Call General Petraeus

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

I'm the randomly capitalized words

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

it would be cool if trump could somehow be thrown in jail for his capitalization crimes

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

UFOTacoMan posted:

*karl pilkington voice* I’m usin me fables

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

very powerful bases

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Sad!

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

TMMadman posted:

Do you ever play "Got your tongue" with your dog?

Do you ever tongue kiss your dog?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
"How does that work with...physics?"

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

NofrikinfuN posted:

get it checked

better to catch it early ish

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 354 days!
I should also print out my tweets

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I'm the randomly capitalized words

the sign of a normal and healthy brain

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Mr. Sharps posted:

*karl pilkington voice* I’m usin me fables

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Agean90 posted:

Fort Bennings only victory is preserving the last stand of old growth pine in georgia, something that only happened by accident because it was/is near an artillery or chemical weapons testing site or some poo poo idk

anyway save the red cockaded woodpecker

there's a red-headed woodpecker with a nest in a dead tree down the street from me. beautiful bird.

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

free schrnokles

free dust cat

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Ouhei posted:

Wasn't it the army that made this suggestion in the first place?

boethius posted:

It was General Petreaus, I believe.

quote:

Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy is now "open" to renaming the service's 10 bases and facilities that are named after Confederate leaders, an Army spokesperson told POLITICO, in a reversal of the service's previous position.

Defense Secretary Mark Esper also supports the discussion, the spokesperson said.

"The Secretary of Defense and Secretary of the Army are open to a bi-partisan discussion on the topic," Army spokesperson Col. Sunset Belinsky said in a statement Monday.

The recent uproar over the killing of George Floyd by Minneapolis police drove McCarthy’s reversal, one Army official said.

The events of the past two weeks “made us start looking more at ourselves and the things that we do and how that is communicated to the force as well as the American public,” the official said.

As recently as February, the Army said the service had no plans to rename the facilities, following the Marine Corps' announcement that it would ban images of Confederate flags from its installations.

An Army spokesperson told Task & Purpose in February that the Army has a "tradition" of naming installations and streets after "historical figures of military significance," including both Union and Confederate leaders.

Prior to Floyd's death, the service was already under pressure to rename some of its best-known installations, including Fort Bragg, N.C., after a New York Times editorial accused the military of "celebrating White supremacists." For example, Confederate general Braxton Bragg was a major slave-owner and is largely considered to be one of the most incompetent generals of the Civil War.

The Army faces an uphill battle in renaming some or all of its 10 installations that honor Confederate military commanders. For years, previous calls for change have gone unheeded, as officials sought to dismiss concerns by arguing the bases were named to celebrate American soldiers and that renaming them would upend tradition.

In the aftermath of violent clashes in Charlottesville, Va., over removing the town's statue of Confederate general Robert E. Lee in 2017, lawmakers called on the Army to rename two streets at Fort Hamilton, N.Y., that were named after Lee and Stonewall Jackson. The Army refused, saying that changing the street names would be "controversial and divisive."

The nine other Army bases in question, all in southern states, are: Forts Benning and Gordon in Georgia; Forts Pickett, A.P. Hill and Lee in Va.; Fort Polk and Camp Beauregard in Louisiana; Fort Hood, Texas; and Fort Rucker, Ala.

The unrest sweeping the country over racial injustice comes as incidents of white nationalism within the ranks appear to be on the rise. A 2019 Military Times survey found that more than a third of troops who responded have seen evidence of white supremacist and racist ideologies in the military, a significant increase from the year before, when only 22 percent reported the same.

McCarthy signaled his evolving views in a message delivered to the force last week in response to the protests. Following other senior military leaders who issued similar messages, McCarthy, Army Chief of Staff Gen. James McConville and Army Sergeant Major Michael Grinston acknowledged the service's struggle with racism and pledged to do better.

"Over the past week, the country has suffered an explosion of frustration over the racial divisions that still plague us as Americans. And because your Army is a reflection of American society, those divisions live in the Army as well. We feel the frustration and anger," they wrote. "We need to work harder to earn the trust of mothers and fathers who hesitate to hand their sons and daughters into our care."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/08/army-reverses-course-will-consider-renaming-bases-named-for-confederate-leaders-307594

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

name some army bases after other enemy generals

fort benedict arnold
fort king george iii
fort hirohito
fort ho chi minh
fort santa anna

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

fits my needs posted:

Fort Arby's,

We got the meatheads

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Rubellavator posted:

Fort Turmp
Fort Rmput
Fort Tumpr
Fort Tmfrup
Fort Mrput
Fort Tmpjur
Fort Trjump
Fort Timrup
Fort Tprum

Now we're talking

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm so loving happy Trump finally got his wish and now just has a press secretary that's one of his squealing twitter fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Rubellavator posted:

Fort Turmp
Fort Rmput
Fort Tumpr
Fort Tmfrup
Fort Mrput
Fort Tmpjur
Fort Trjump