Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hagrid was expelled from school for crimes he didn't commit (but was an easy fall guy for because of his ethnic heritage) and can barely function in either the wizard or muggle worlds. Filch was born without magic and had a wretched life.

I don't know if wizards have elementary schools, but it seems like one of the things Hermione has going for her is just a much better education going into Hogwarts than anyone else. It feels like the vast bulk of the characters in the books were just born into the wizarding world, you never hear about anybody else living a normal muggle life or having nonmagical parents.

Would Hogwarts even be academically accredited if it didn't have magical backing?

As far as we can tell they don't teach things like Math or Literature so absolutely not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Given the time period that Harry Potter takes place in, which characters do you think were nu-metal kids?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Sydin posted:

There's no wizarding elementary school, if you're born into the wizarding world you are just completely ignorant of, in no particular order: language, any history that doesn't intersect with wizarding history, math unless you take an elective in that one math-based magic type whose name I forget, geography, functionally any form of the sciences outside of what bits here and there matter for potion making or herbology, finance, political science or theory, and tons of other stuff not listed. You get taught magic, only magic, and nothing but magic.

So yeah I guess it kinda makes sense Hermione's fifth grade muggle education puts her head and shoulders above most of the wizards she interacts with - adult or otherwise - in terms of knowledge and critical thinking skills.

I think this is the in universe explanation for why the logic puzzle obstacle in the philosopher's stone is solvable by the irl eleven year old readers of the book - most adults wizards genuinly are too thick to figure it out

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tulip posted:

Given the time period that Harry Potter takes place in, which characters do you think were nu-metal kids?

Was nu-metal a thing in England? I think the timeline of the books ends right around the twilight of Britpop and the rise of boy/girl groups after the success of the Spice Girls

Would love to see what a wizard's lad mag of that era looked like

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
It's a good question, what kind of books wizards read actually. We see tons of textbooks and are given a taste of wizard popular lit, at least the parts of it that are flashy stories being told by liars, but not given a wider scope into culture at all really. I bet there are really complicated paintings in museums that are identical to cinema, but magic, and then some real long landscapes. we see wizards chess...wizard plays? cahmahn

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
The J.K. Rowling anti-trans tweets keep showing up in the news, and it makes me wonder if she ever secretly goes out to fan fiction sites and comments on them "Harry was ABSOLUTELY NOT a dragonphile"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

TheAardvark posted:

The J.K. Rowling anti-trans tweets keep showing up in the news, and it makes me wonder if she ever secretly goes out to fan fiction sites and comments on them "Harry was ABSOLUTELY NOT a dragonphile"

We're done with tweets, she's gone all in.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

TheAardvark posted:

She has basically done this on her twitter before. The only one i know of off the top of my head is her publicly announcing that Lupin and Sirius were straight but i know there were more.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

dordreff posted:

She has basically done this on her twitter before. The only one i know of off the top of my head is her publicly announcing that Lupin and Sirius were straight but i know there were more.

We all knew that, those creeps would masticate to female students

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Do British people hate their kids? The existence of boarding school seems to imply that they do.
I can't imagine wanting to send my daughter away for most of the year.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

VanSandman posted:

Do British people hate their kids? The existence of boarding school seems to imply that they do.
I can't imagine wanting to send my daughter away for most of the year.

Its how you cultivate children so detached from everything that they can run an empire.

JethroMcB posted:

We're done with tweets, she's gone all in.

No no, what I meant to tweet was I hate all of you.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

This article has aged poorly.

quote:

JUNE 26, 2017 - JK Rowling’s 20 greatest LGBT moments to celebrate 20 years of Harry Potter

Today, June 26, marks Harry Potter’s 20th anniversary. So, as a thank you to JK Rowling – supporter of equal rights and Twitter boss – we’ve rummaged around and selected the Potter author’s 20 greatest LGBT moments.

Thanks for your support, JK…

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

My feeling with the whole JK Rowling situation is that an entire generation is about to learn what "Death of the Author" is

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
"JK Rowling is still talking" is the greatest headline of all time

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Death of the Author is usually talking about the dismissal of authorial intent, so people should've already figured out Death of the Author back when JK Rowling was making all these extra clarifications about the story and world that weren't in the actual text.

It also is about allowing readers the freedom to interpret meanings of a text that may have even been contrary to the author's intent, but actually supported by the text. There were some people arguing that the text supports, or at least doesn't exclude the possibility of Hermione being black, which is a fine thing to put forth, but very obviously JK Rowling had no problem with casting 3 white kids when the movies were being made, as opposed to how she broke from Disney when they turned down the idea of building a train for a Harry Potter section of Disneyland.

I don't think that it's supposed to be a theory justifying the consumption of material whose author you wildly dislike and disagree with on a personal level. Although I guess that sort of reinterpretation would be the result of the death of the author of Death of the Author.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Death of the Author is usually talking about the dismissal of authorial intent, so people should've already figured out Death of the Author back when JK Rowling was making all these extra clarifications about the story and world that weren't in the actual text.

It also is about allowing readers the freedom to interpret meanings of a text that may have even been contrary to the author's intent, but actually supported by the text. There were some people arguing that the text supports, or at least doesn't exclude the possibility of Hermione being black, which is a fine thing to put forth, but very obviously JK Rowling had no problem with casting 3 white kids when the movies were being made, as opposed to how she broke from Disney when they turned down the idea of building a train for a Harry Potter section of Disneyland.

I don't think that it's supposed to be a theory justifying the consumption of material whose author you wildly dislike and disagree with on a personal level. Although I guess that sort of reinterpretation would be the result of the death of the author of Death of the Author.

You're making the common mistake of conflating Death of the Author with the Intentional Fallacy. The Intentional Fallacy is the New Critical stance that the author's stated intent is irrelevant because textual evidence is supreme. Death of the Author builds onto the Intentional Fallacy, but is a much broader interrogation of our very concept of authorship and the esteem we afford to authors. So Death of the Author is indeed a justification to enjoy Harry Potter regardless of how you feel about Rowling.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

SlothfulCobra posted:

That doesn't necessarily mean you subscribe to death of the author if, like me, you believe she making poo poo up and never actually thought those things while weighting the book.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Like George Lucas and anything beyond A New Hope.

George Lucas is dead.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

galagazombie posted:

That doesn't necessarily mean you subscribe to death of the author if, like me, you believe she making poo poo up and never actually thought those things while weighting the book.
It seems charitable to assume she might have had "Nagini is really human" in a concept notebook somewhere and exaggerated for marketing. Dumbledore I believe was fully conceived as gay, but as a background understanding of his character she couldn't be explicit about at the time. She writes in kind of lovely broad Dahl-esque stereotypes and they're here and there (fashion sense, knitting)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
applying death of the author to jk rowling is inadvisable, mainly as some terf somewhere will interpret it as a murder threat and within two hours you'll be doorstepped by the daily mail

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I, on the other hand, don't remotely believe that Dumbledore was conceived as gay, or that in Rowling's mind there exists a single LGBT person in the Harry Potter universe.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dumbledore starts out as just like, stereotypical goofy Disney's Merlin type, and it's another question just how many of those stereotypes also happen to be gay ones.

I do remember one bit possibly at the end of Goblet of Fire where Harry is super pissed and smashing some of Dumbledore's office knicknacks and Dumbledore comes in and goes "Do please continue destroying my possessions, I have far too many."

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
I remember the quote but not the book, so google says OoF

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Fans: so are there jewish wizards?

JKR: oh uh, yeah, there was a jewish kid at hogwarts the whole time

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/1269853849063432192

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funny thing is she could always just write more books where all the witches kiss witches and the wizards kiss wizards but noooo

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think JKR is a massive troll and has been before her lovely social takes. I don't know the solution really. She does it for the attention but you do have to point out her views are lovely too.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Nymphadora Tonks probably talked some ladies into bed before she hooked up with Lupin

Pick posted:

Yeah but how progressive is it to have a bisexual character named Slutty Boobs

Probably the most progressive sexuality thing in Harry Potter lol, a lady who is coded to be alternative and might have smooched some girls once for all we know, called Slutty Boobs

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 12, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah but how progressive is it to have a bisexual character named Slutty Boobs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tonks doesn't really strike me as a name for boobs

If anything, given her low-level shapeshifting, it implies other things

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Then again folks, we are all forgetting the endless nights of passion that Harry and Draco have had according to other writers of the Harry Potter universe

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Slytherin-to bed with you.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Tonks doesn't really strike me as a name for boobs

I assure you when it comes to inventing names for boobs british ingenuity knows no bounds

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
People With "Harry Potter" Tattoos Are Asking "What Now?"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

"Caldwell, who is a transgender man, got his very first tattoo at 18 — a Death Eater symbol on his forearm."

You may have wanted to rethink "Symbols of the Magic Nazis" long before now.

Also the person in that article designing coverup artwork is very good at their job.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 12, 2020

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

JethroMcB posted:

"Caldwell, who is a transgender man, got his very first tattoo at 18 — a Death Eater symbol on his forearm."

You may have wanted to rethink "Symbols of the Magic Nazis" long before now.

Also the person in that article designing coverup artwork is very good at their job.

Literally the very next paragraph: ""I got Death Eater symbol because I was an edgy, emotional teen," he said. In the series, the Death Eaters are the bad guys, obsessed with blood purity, so Caldwell was already rethinking the tattoo. But given Rowling's more recent comments, he now wants it covered up."

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PeterWeller posted:

Literally the very next paragraph: ""I got Death Eater symbol because I was an edgy, emotional teen," he said. In the series, the Death Eaters are the bad guys, obsessed with blood purity, so Caldwell was already rethinking the tattoo. But given Rowling's more recent comments, he now wants it covered up."

It's always interesting to see what people's individual "bridge too far" is.

:shrug:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I read that and somehow completely overlooked the "already thinking" bit.

Still the most teenage decision I can think of though.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I've been going on a nostalgia trip and rewatching Hey Arnold on Hulu and it made me think of JK and Dumbledore being confirmed as gay after the fact.

Both Hey Arnold and Harry Potter were kids oriented media made in the 90s/early 00s and both had a side character who was never explicitly stated to be gay but is confirmed as gay by word of the author.

In Hey Arnold its Mr Simmons, their Mr Frond style "sensitive" teacher. In the only episode which shows his personal life Arnold's Thanksgiving Arnold and Helga crash his Thanksgiving Dinner because they think it will be perfect and meet his "friends" Peter & Joy and uncle and mom. I didn't pick up on the clues when I was a dumb kid but as an adult they're basically hitting you over the head with it. Mr Simmons mom is unhappy Peter's there, she unsubtly hints to Mr Simmons she wants him to take Joy on a date and Peter glares at Mr Simmons not to do it even as friends. Even him calling peter his friend makes sense in-universe beyond Mr Simmons believing him being gay is inappropiate for his students since his homophobic mother is there. It just struck me how easy it is to make actual hints even in the climate of "The publishers wouldn't let her have gayness around kids!" that existed back then.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hey Arnold was way ahead of its time. You have Helga on the Couch which not only has a positive portrayal of mental health but at certain points all but turns to the camera and says "if you're having trouble processing your feelings it's okay to seek help." You have Weighing Harold which is an episode about body positivist. You have The Aptitude Test which takes a justified poo poo on personality tests and says you shouldn't be weighed down but that kind of crap and pursue what you find interesting. Arnold is raised by not just his grandparents but the entire boarding house and this is constantly reinforced as perfectly fine even if it's not a "traditional" family. Everything to do with the coding of Helga's family the horrors of alcoholism and parental abuse.

It's kind of crazy to watch Hey Arnold today and realize it started in the mid 90's. So much of media at the time was casually if not overtly racist, sexist, ableist, homophobic, and transphobic, meanwhile here's Hey Arnold with a consistent message of "it's okay to be who you are, whatever that means."

Sydin fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 14, 2020