Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What did it matter?
This poll is closed.
The mod squad (FORUM FRIENDS) has edited the poll 11 1.38%
And inserted their good jokes 4 0.50%
While the rest of you laugh 9 1.13%
Bowsette 103 12.88%
347 43.38%
killer comedy option $69,420.69 15 1.88%
big bandicoot baps 311 38.88%
Total: 800 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Relax Or DIE posted:

i'm just choosing a game for the first one so the thread isn't people waffling about what to do but I am open to thread title suggestions

what game is it you can just tell us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

please keep us humble console gamers in mind when choosing the book club games

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

i'm typing up the OP for that book club thread so if you have suggestions nows the time, if you post jokes or dumb poo poo i'm gonna quote your post and call you a 'freaking goober' so beware
start off with the billiards table asset pack, we all just load it up in blender or unity and be like "drat this is a nice rear end billiards table"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Help Im Alive posted:

I thought the whole point was that it was going to be the games in that giant bundle

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

Honestly I quite enjoyed FC5's gameplay and design, it just had writing so bad, cowardly and intrusive it kind of ruined things.

I'm pages late but every time this comes up I remember how frustrated I was by this game. FC5 was one of the more disappointing games I've played in the last few years because it was good gameplay and Ubi's best open world yet, married to a godawful, pointlessly mean-spirited story that actively antagonizes the player. You seem to be having too much fun romping around this open world and its many diversions, so here's a game mechanic that will tear you away from that and force you to engage with our terrible, miserable story that is extremely un-fun and manages to stomp all over over whatever message the writers had in mind when coming up with the first draft.

DC Murderverse posted:

I finished Outer Wilds last week and decided to start on it's name buddy Outer Worlds tonight.

I distinctly remember when that game came out a big to-do about the first planet and what you should do for the first major decision/story mission and honestly anyone who did anything other than burn Edgewater to the ground and salt the ashes is at best a dummy and at worst evil, that poo poo is almost comically evil.

I just picked this up on Gamepass and finished that first planet last night, and there were a couple of times where I rolled my eyes at the mealymouthed dialog choices and companion dialog that attempted to humanize the tyrant running Edgewater and rationalize doing anything other than nuking the town.

The game seems... fine, I guess? It's not as bad as I expected based on its detractors in these here forums, but it's also not terribly compelling yet, either. The dialog and the setting seem mismatched, like they wanted to mimic the ambiguity and moral choice that you found in Fallout 3/New Vegas, but they failed to give the setting itself any room whatsoever for moral ambiguity. The art assets and in-world lore all unambiguously scream "terrifying corporatist dystopian hellscape economy based on de facto slavery", which is a weird setting to go with if you were trying to leave room for moral ambiguity in your player choices. Does the game/writing get worse as you go on, or do people hate it just because the writing never really grapples that much with the basic premise?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Gripweed posted:

I thought the whole point was that it was going to be the games in that giant bundle

i was gonna use the bundle as a starting point for a while, but figured we can diverge if folks feel strongly about it

Help Im Alive posted:

i'll definitely keep console gamers in mind, that is to say, i'll definitely think about how i can best exclude them

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A lot of the poo poo Outer Worlds gets is because it was released very close to Disco Elysium, which everyone here went absolutely gaga for

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

haveblue posted:

A lot of the poo poo Outer Worlds gets is because it was released very close to Disco Elysium, which everyone here went absolutely gaga for

It gets poo poo because it was bad

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I haven't played Disco Elysium but Outer Worlds just isn't very good. It's an enormously uninspired RPG in every aspect.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

haveblue posted:

Actually it's just because it's bad.

The asexual lesbian companion who needs exactly 1 instance if being told "you go girl" to get over her years of trauma is laughably tone-deaf imo

Of course, I only saw that going back on a second playthrough because the game let's you just ignore the breakwater entirely.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 10, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Might get Outer Worlds just to spite the nerds of Something Awful Dot Com.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Blotto_Otter posted:

I'm pages late but every time this comes up I remember how frustrated I was by this game. FC5 was one of the more disappointing games I've played in the last few years because it was good gameplay and Ubi's best open world yet, married to a godawful, pointlessly mean-spirited story that actively antagonizes the player. You seem to be having too much fun romping around this open world and its many diversions, so here's a game mechanic that will tear you away from that and force you to engage with our terrible, miserable story that is extremely un-fun and manages to stomp all over over whatever message the writers had in mind when coming up with the first draft.

i'm down from time to time to play a Far Cry, and i haven't played 5, but i think that next time i get the Ubi Urge i will skip 5 and play New Dawn

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

stev posted:

well, have fun playing the bad game out of spite

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

stev posted:

haha you know what's really awful? my paypal account! you'd really rile a lot of goons up by spending any money on that ol piece of trash

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

stev posted:

ah noo dont own me by wasting your own money haha

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

homeless snail posted:

well, have fun playing the bad game out of spite

I really wanted to like Outer Worlds, but there just wasn't enough interesting things to like.

After Edgewater a lot of the game just sort of bleeds together into a sort of... nothing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

stev posted:

I enjoyed the Outer Worlds. Feel like people have been unfair to the game.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SeXReX posted:

Actually it's just because it's bad.

The asexual lesbian companion who needs exactly 1 instance if being told "you go girl" to get over her years of trauma is laughably tone-deaf imo

Of course, I only saw that going back on a second playthrough because the game let's you just ignore the breakwater entirely.

This surprises me as I thought Fallout: New Vegas presented its LGBT characters extremely well :(

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Who are the celebrity voices in Outer Worlds anyway?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

I really wanted to like Outer Worlds, but there just wasn't enough interesting things to like.

After Edgewater a lot of the game just sort of bleeds together into a sort of... nothing.
yeah its a game that makes a decent enough first impression that its easy enough to forgive some of the poo poo in edgewater, but everything after that is just edgewater but worse and written more stupidly, and the deeper you get into the mechanics the more it falls apart

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Reminded of when posters in the ME Andromeda thread doubled down on the super deluxe mega-hype edition AFTER the demo came out and everyone could see something wasn't right.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Even discounting the political opinions outer worlds is incredibly bland. There's no real care put into the world design. It's like a beige wall; yes, it's functional as a wall and the painting was done well, but there's nothing there to make you give a poo poo.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Convex posted:

This surprises me as I thought Fallout: New Vegas presented its LGBT characters extremely well :(

As someone who's ace, I thought Parvati's story was handled very well.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I've not played any of the ME series after 2 and while I was kind of sort of looking forward to Outer Worlds when it was first announced, I guess I'm just not excited about it at all either. Maybe Cyberpunk 2077 in September will be good.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Grapplejack posted:

Even discounting the political opinions outer worlds is incredibly bland. There's no real care put into the world design. It's like a beige wall; yes, it's functional as a wall and the painting was done well, but there's nothing there to make you give a poo poo.

This puts it beautifully

Like that coat of beige paint is IMPECCABLE, all done with hand brushes and perfectly even with few visible stroke marks, but at the end of the day it's still a beige wall

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
IGN's Summer Of Gaming event has started streaming: https://www.ign.com/articles/summer-of-gaming-event-schedule-how-to-watch-lineup

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I liked the part in Outer Worlds where I upgraded my assault rifle with a fun and interesting improvement, assault rifle 2

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think beige walls are fine? In the wall world they’re unremarkable but most walls are unremarkable, no matter their flavour of paint

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GP6g5m_P7w

IGN doing the E3 substitute thing right now. They already enraged chud gamers by decalring their support for BLM and having a donation thing for COVID relief and the NAACP Bail Fund

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xelkelvos posted:

IGN doing the E3 substitute thing right now. They already enraged chud gamers by decalring their support for BLM and having a donation thing for COVID relief and the NAACP Bail Fund

can't wait for Chiv 2

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also I hadn't even heard of The Waylanders till now. Looks pretty cool

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm busy soaking in the tears from this, though...

https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/1270819350644211719

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
They already dropped the Werewolf the Apocalype trailer which was neat but literally said nothing about what the gameplay would look like

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Xelkelvos posted:

They already dropped the Werewolf the Apocalype trailer which was neat but literally said nothing about what the gameplay would look like

has there been any gameplay shown for that at all?

also, did the world really need an Alex Kidd remaster?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Barry Convex posted:

has there been any gameplay shown for that at all?

also, did the world really need an Alex Kidd remaster?

no and no, but ill take the alex kidd one

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jay Rust posted:

Who are the celebrity voices in Outer Worlds anyway?

All the Pod Save America hosts

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Gripweed posted:

All the Pod Save America hosts

Can't escape the drat Pod Johns

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Between Wonder Boy Returns (Remix), Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap, and now Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX, the entire Master System library is gonna get remade sooner rather than later.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mercury Crusader posted:

Between Wonder Boy Returns (Remix), Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap, and now Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX, the entire Master System library is gonna get remade sooner rather than later.

Were all Master System games about wondrous or miraculous boys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Gripweed posted:

Were all Master System games about wondrous or miraculous boys?

Sometimes they were about fantasy or phantasy