Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The red light is blinking iirc, but it's also a bit small. I wonder if a better design might be to have different view modes where one shows only unpowered buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

ymgve posted:

The red light is blinking iirc, but it's also a bit small. I wonder if a better design might be to have different view modes where one shows only unpowered buildings.

They patched out the blinking I think

Stan Taylor posted:

Why do people defend games when someone is confused by them? It is ok if a person doesn’t click with a game.

You're right, I'm gonna stop contributing to this pile on.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 10, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Stan Taylor posted:

Why do people defend games when someone is confused by them? It is ok if a person doesn’t click with a game.

It is fine, but what bothers me is someone blaming the game when it's really, really basic stuff that could be solved with a few minutes' research.

I'm seriously not. I just honestly don't get how you were able to play Factorio but are having trouble with early game Satisfactory mechanics. It just doesn't make sense.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 10, 2020

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Looks like EA games are now getting trading cards? I just got a notification that a couple for Mirror's Edge had been put into my inventory.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Am I the only one that bounced hard off of DOOM? I restarted a dozen times but it always ends with me surrounded by monsters that want to kill me before I can find any NPC that's willing to protect me in exchange for this stupid gun I'm lugging around.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Call Your Grandma posted:

Am I the only one that bounced hard off of DOOM? I restarted a dozen times but it always ends with me surrounded by monsters that want to kill me before I can find any NPC that's willing to protect me in exchange for this stupid gun I'm lugging around.

Ha ha guys right?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If a UI is simple and clear, but other people struggle with it, maybe it's not that clear after all? There's no one right way to do this stuff, but there's ways to make things more understandable all-round. If you have to go to a wiki to learn stuff the game's probably doing it wrong

(haven't played Satisfactory but this is more of a general thing about different people's experiences - also red and green are real bad colours to use for important info considering 5% of people have trouble telling them apart)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
its motherfucking alex kidd

https://twitter.com/VGArtAndTidbits/status/1270822990687752193

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

v1ld posted:

While that does work there's a Steam thread with a more specific suggestion that lets me keep using Citrix for work while playing games it clashes with: disable the Citrix Virtual Bus Enumerator device.

Windows + X, select "Device Manager", open the "System devices" list, right click "Citrix Virtual Bus Enumerator" and select "Disable device." Like so:

I've been using this for almost a year and Citrix continues to work while not preventing games from starting.

Thanks for the better tip. I have another computer I am using right now to access my work system so uninstalling is ok, but I'll keep that in mind.
Cheers.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Jesus Christ this is the worst detail. Let the guy not enjoy the game you yourself enjoy. It’s ok! It’s not wrong that he didn’t “get” it! No amount of “but it just makes sense!” Is going to fix it. If you have never been confused by a game then I guess you are just heaps better than us dumb shits, go laugh about the poster in the game specific thread.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I can't figure out modded Minecraft. I've spent hours trying to wrap my mind around some of those massive modpacks and for some reason I just can't figure it out. It makes me feel dumb cause I know there's literal children out there kicking rear end in these mods.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I can't figure out modded Minecraft. I've spent hours trying to wrap my mind around some of those massive modpacks and for some reason I just can't figure it out. It makes me feel dumb cause I know there's literal children out there kicking rear end in these mods.

What modpacks you looking at?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

StrixNebulosa posted:

What modpacks you looking at?

I don't remember exactly, it was a while back. One of the big packs on one of the big servers in PGS. Some guy here is always gushing about a Life in the Woods modpack or something like that, maybe I should check that out.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

PowerBeard posted:

Got to mess around with GeForce Now and it's some kind of witchcraft... It actually works with my internet and the results look incredible. Hopefully Steam will push through their streaming add on to work with it, because the log into Steam every time thing was a bit annoying.

thanks for reminding me to check it out

its pretty amazing how it works indeed and I love the concept of it actually using my own library and savegames etc. but not my computing power. Steam cloud sync is also instant, just tried it with Satisfactory and as soon as I closed the GFNow instance it did a cloud sync for the new save.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Played about an hour of Bulletstorm tonight. Don’t know why but it’s not really grabbing me. The story so far is ehhhhh and the combat is ehhh. I get that the whole point of the game is ridiculous ways to kill people but for whatever reason it’s not clicking with me.

Titanfall 2, Doom2016 and Doom Eternal are all way much better. Still I only paid $4 so no big loss. Might try again someday.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Cartoon Man posted:

Played about an hour of Bulletstorm tonight. Don’t know why but it’s not really grabbing me. The story so far is ehhhhh and the combat is ehhh. I get that the whole point of the game is ridiculous ways to kill people but for whatever reason it’s not clicking with me.

Titanfall 2, Doom2016 and Doom Eternal are all way much better. Still I only paid $4 so no big loss. Might try again someday.

If it’s not grabbing you early on i would say lose it. I personally loved it but I don’t think it really changes much through the game.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cartoon Man posted:

I enjoyed my time with Bulletstorm, but yeah, everything it does, both recent Dooms do way, way better. Not much reason to go back to it.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Cartoon Man posted:

Bulletstorm is kinda rail score attack shooter rather then a classic FPS, especially when you come from TF2 and Doom Eternal with their massive amount of jumping and dashing freedom.

also you miss absolutely nothing in not playing it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I don't remember exactly, it was a while back. One of the big packs on one of the big servers in PGS. Some guy here is always gushing about a Life in the Woods modpack or something like that, maybe I should check that out.

Hey, I'm not that dude but I will second it, Life in the Woods is the only modpack so far that's captured my attention long enough to keep building things. I'm working on a chain of outposts and I'm thinking of starting a tunnel network as well. I love foraging for food and farming and it's just super super chill.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I gave NIOH another try, cleared through The Tower of London and beat the first boss.... at which point the game apparently jumps back in time and immediately loads up a tutorial to actually show you how the fighting works :psyduck:

My loving childhood, that final blip of original theme music... oh my God I played the poo poo out of this game when I was a kid :stare:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

haldolium posted:

Bulletstorm is kinda rail score attack shooter rather then a classic FPS, especially when you come from TF2 and Doom Eternal with their massive amount of jumping and dashing freedom.

also you miss absolutely nothing in not playing it.

Eh, it still very much plays like a classic FPS, but you just gain more XP for being creative with your kills. For the most part it just reinforces the things you'd already be doing in an FPS. There is an arena mode where you try to get the highest score possible, but it's separate from the main campaign.

Jerusalem posted:

I gave NIOH another try, cleared through The Tower of London and beat the first boss.... at which point the game apparently jumps back in time and immediately loads up a tutorial to actually show you how the fighting works :psyduck:

Yeah, NIOH is a weird game with a lot of odd design choices. The best part of the game is the first Japanese village (the one from the demo), where it plays a like a hardcore mashup of Dark Souls + Ninja Gaiden. Sadly that feeling really deteriorates as the game goes on, because of a combination of bland maps that get reused often, an over-reliance on grinding for dropped gear, absolutely silly difficulty spikes (bosses in particular), and then your own power creep as you start to find ways to use skills to cheese the game and avoid actually using its fighting systems. I eventually stopped because it just got tedious and there was a lot of grinding I'd have to do to finish it.

Sekiro is pretty much the game NIOH wanted to be, in some respects.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 11, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Sekiro is pretty much the game NIOH wanted to be, in some respects.

Got to admit part of me just wants to reinstall Sekiro and replay that for like the 5th time. Ghost of Tsushima looks great but I think that is going to be console only?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
You jerks are making me miss NIOH. I got into NG+ but I hit a point where I was in the mid 200s and the only missions around that area were those stupid double-boss fights, after the normal missions in the current region. The next region over has their missions be 100+ levels ahead of me. Am I missing something? Am I meant to grind? I have a set I like I'm just not sure how the progression works.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hey were you excited for Rhythm FPS BPM: BULLETS PER MINUTE or Rhythm FPS GUN JAM? Well good news, because we just got an announcement for Rhythm FPS Metal: Hellsinger!

Something in the dang water going around. Though it helps that they all seem pretty distinct, with Hellsinger going for a more heavy metal soundtrack. Poor GUN JAM was announced first but since its the simplest-looking it sorta got shown up by the others. BPM has easily the best name of them all, I had to remind myself of the others. It also has that minigun that accelerates to the beat which is just brilliant.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
On the other hand, "Funcom" is definitely a giant wait and see on Hellsinger. Yikes.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I would like Nioh a lot more if map progress was permanent instead of resetting when you leave an area. Feeling like you're slowly hacking through the world, opening all the shortcuts, leaving evidence of your progress behind you is my favourite part of the Souls games. Returning to 1-1 in Demon's Souls later in the game still has a sense of continuity because the boss door is still open and the shortcut back to the top is still unlocked. By the time you get all the Demon Souls, the game feels complete. In Nioh the only thing I'm building is my character. The world is immutable and it suffers for it. The insane number of incremental upgrade systems also doesn't help but I could overlook that if progress felt satisfying in any way other than Number Go Up.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That and it's bullshit how you have to hunt for the kodamas again in each region to get your health to a decent level. Really kills your momentum.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

On the other hand, "Funcom" is definitely a giant wait and see on Hellsinger. Yikes.

https://theoutsiders.se

quote:

Our team consists of industry veterans from DICE, Avalanche, King, Rovio, Fatshark, Starbreeze, Arrowhead, Goodbye Kansas, Machine Games, Guerilla Games and many others. We also have a good mix of the best talent from the many fantastic game development schools in Sweden.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Nah changed my mind about this post.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 11, 2020

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

lordfrikk posted:

I haven't played Satisfactory but what's unintuitive about the colors? Seems straightforward to deduct the meaning.

I feel bad for colorblind people who play games.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Jerusalem posted:

My loving childhood, that final blip of original theme music... oh my God I played the poo poo out of this game when I was a kid :stare:

I liked Nioh a lot but it seemed plainly obvious to me that the game started out as a PS3* game, and got stuck in development hell for ages before it was released. For every cool idea or great map, there is a bunch of fat that should have been cut off, or poorly designed area that was half-baked.

I haven't played Nioh 2 yet, but I am hoping it feels more like a cohesive game.

*I think it may have actually started out as a PS2 game, but development was completely scrapped and restarted multiple times before it took its final form.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

There's going to be a lot of big game news in the coming days that will likely overshadow it, but Alwa's Legacy comes out next week and it's a sequel to the more interesting than great Alwa's Awakening. Everything I've seen so far about the sequel looks better than the original, and the original had some good ideas that were plagued by some questionable design decisions. It was almost quite good and ended up a 6/10 metroidvania. AL could be a sequel that is big leap forward and worth keeping an eye on if you buy random indie games at launch during the steam summer sale.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't know when/if it's coming to PC but having just spent well over 150 hours with Nioh 2 on PS4 I can say it's real good, in fact I think it will be subjectively the best soulsborne game once it gets the DLC and has a proper end-game

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 11, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sivek posted:

There's going to be a lot of big game news in the coming days that will likely overshadow it, but Alwa's Legacy comes out next week and it's a sequel to the more interesting than great Alwa's Awakening. Everything I've seen so far about the sequel looks better than the original, and the original had some good ideas that were plagued by some questionable design decisions. It was almost quite good and ended up a 6/10 metroidvania. AL could be a sequel that is big leap forward and worth keeping an eye on if you buy random indie games at launch during the steam summer sale.

I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this one. Alwa's Awakening was a game that I really wanted to like, but the developers just couldn't quite pull it off. If they can just fix the issues it had, the sequel will be a good game.

A few other picks that are worth checking out during the sale:
  • Immortal Darkness: Curse of the Pale King. This presents as a pretty standard Diablo clone, but it's balanced so that you have to be smart about combat. Pick off your enemies one by one, use the environment to your advantage, focus on debuffs over damage, and that sort of thing.
  • Dissembler. A+ casual puzzle game with enough meat to last a long time. Solving some of the later levels can feel like a pretty big accomplishment.
  • Assault Android Cactus and MO: Astray. I was inspired to check these out by the recent discussion, and they're both good games.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Call Your Grandma posted:

Maybe you're just a dumb piece of poo poo who shouldn't play video games. idk. just trying to help.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Yay, Alex Kidd finally escaped from his cashier job at the Sega store.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I don't know when/if it's coming to PC but having just spent well over 150 hours with Nioh 2 on PS4 I can say it's real good, in fact I think it will be subjectively the best soulsborne game once it gets the DLC and has a proper end-game

I still haven't picked up Nioh 2, despite the fact I really loved Nioh 1. Then again, I still never made it to the point where ethereal weapons started dropping in Nioh 1, but it's been so long since I've played, I probably suck at it now. :negative:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 11, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

geforce now would be really cool if half the publishing world didn't pull all their games from it

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
MO: Astray is a really bad name for a really good game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The 7th Guest posted:

geforce now would be really cool if half the publishing world didn't pull all their games from it

Publishers: how DARE people play these games they've already paid for without spending the money on buying a high end gaming PC for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Its even the hardware manufacturers pushing the new tech ffs, it's like this massive everyone-wins scenario and the software publishers are freaking out in that we're not screwing it to the customers shomehow.