Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Captain Invictus posted:

Fanatic purifiers have the Armageddon orbital bombardment stance, which basically bombs a planet into a terminator-esque nuclear annihilated husk once it hits high enough devastation

In theory. It's possibly bugged and/or has additional requirements, as the internet (and myself) have found it not creating tomb worlds despite being at 100% devastation for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Serephina posted:

In theory. It's possibly bugged and/or has additional requirements, as the internet (and myself) have found it not creating tomb worlds despite being at 100% devastation for years.

I believe the requirement for turning a planet into a tomb world is to kill every pop. Armageddon stance was fixed in the latest update (2.7.2) so there shouldn't be any more problems with it.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jun 10, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

I was like 99% sure that wasn't the case

Were you in a federation with a non-unanimous war declaration vote rule?
No, my only diplomatic relations was a single non-aggression pact, which was with them. I did right click away a lot of messages without reading them so maybe that did something.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Serephina posted:

A) it's not 100% devastation, it's killing off the entire population that's required for Armageddon to make a tomb world.

However, vanilla has various rate limiters (both in the bombardment file itself and in defines) that mean that the absolute most you can kill via bombardment is 36 pops per year, even at Armageddon. So most major worlds will take years to tomb. (It's easily modded away and I've removed it in my own bombardment mod, but if you're married to achievements or MP then be advised)

B) As Kaal said, there was a bug in at least 2.7 release that was preventing tomb worlds even when they were supposed to happen, but it was fixed in 2.7.2.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 10, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Thanks for the replies guys. Yea, my game had 0 pops worlds sitting there taunting me a few months ago, I suppose it's depressingly common to have "fixed-again" bugs in this game. Regardless, I *did* cotton on to how slow the entire process is; unless you're being the victim of it (as Affi was), it's usually better to ignore the tomb world feature and just invade. Despite being fiddly, invasions are rather quick compared to bombarding a dozen worlds and tieing up chunks of your fleet.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Serephina posted:

Thanks for the replies guys. Yea, my game had 0 pops worlds sitting there taunting me a few months ago, I suppose it's depressingly common to have "fixed-again" bugs in this game. Regardless, I *did* cotton on to how slow the entire process is; unless you're being the victim of it (as Affi was), it's usually better to ignore the tomb world feature and just invade. Despite being fiddly, invasions are rather quick compared to bombarding a dozen worlds and tieing up chunks of your fleet.

I like that the AI tried to invade first, started killing pops until I snuck in my warbot armies and hosed their poo poo up. Then my irreplaceable elite troops got smoked when they armageddoned the world.

I’m probably going to restart my game again. My empire has an incredible position but I was hoping to interact with more then the Athrak Quarantine and the Hiberol Annihilation.

(Game used like ten of my homemade civs and two of those were devouring swarms and fanatic purifiers respectively) plus the rikkis and the game threw in two more swarms and purifiers. )

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They should patch it so Terminator civs can engage in diplomacy, but only with other Terminators in order to better terminate organic life

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

They should patch it so Terminator civs can engage in diplomacy, but only with other Terminators in order to better terminate organic life

Robots can already engage in diplomacy with other robots. Exterminators just get a little opinion penalty with other types of robots. But among themselves, they're the best of friends!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Yep, they even have an envoy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh cool lol, it said the Exterminators don't get to engage in diplomacy at all in the options screen, glad to know they still get to engage in peaceful negotiations on how to best murder everything in the galaxy. As a plain old gestalt machine intelligence I get one (1) envoy :toot:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Serephina posted:

Thanks for the replies guys.
Initially read this as "thanks for the reptiles"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh cool lol, it said the Exterminators don't get to engage in diplomacy at all in the options screen, glad to know they still get to engage in peaceful negotiations on how to best murder everything in the galaxy. As a plain old gestalt machine intelligence I get one (1) envoy :toot:

FPs can still have envoys but they can only send them to valid diplomacy targets (which for them means empires of their own species, for humans that would be Commonwealth of Man/United Nations of Earth).

Where it gets interesting is that the UNE consorts with the foul xenos (and, as is the xeno's scheme, invariably end up enslaved by them) but they can still be diplo'ed (it seems to go off the founding species).

FPs can't do migration treaties even with valid diplo targets and (since they have the full version of Adaptability) they can't form federations but can join them.

E: Barbaric Despoilers get a really good modified Adaptability tree: you trade the +10% food tradition for a limited Federations where you get +1 Envoy and they can make Martials and Hegemonics (the +1 Envoy is particularly useful if you're playing with a fuckload of mods so your Society draw-pool is watered down to the point where you can't rely on getting the embassy tech quickly).

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 10, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
man. I've got the 25x crisis set to 2300 so they could show up at any moment, I've been doing repeatable techs for 25 years and my battleships are at around 7k each, I've just gobbled up two significant empires(an FP and a gestalt consciousness, the second of which I was happy to find doesn't have any assimilation requirements, just the standard recently conquered penalty), crushed the great khan twice before it spread even three systems away from its original borders, and am about to roll over the nearby fallen empire and marauders to absorb their systems and techs, and I have absolutely zero confidence in my ability to handle the crisis even though I've been nearly minmaxing the entire time. I dunno how lathrix does it, I guess his habitat spam works wonders.

like I'm producing 2k alloys a month and working on more, have multiple complete megastructures and am working on a science nexus, matter decompressor and dyson sphere, and am churning out about 8k research a month, and still feel completely hosed when the crisis shows up. it's an interesting, tense feeling!

I just saw Lathrix's latest End of the Cycle run(where he had a completely different goal for his run initially but got the end of the cycle option in the shroud and how do you not take that when it's offered?) and his second endgame crisis was the scourge. the scourge at 25x have their smallest fleets at 1.2 million and the second wave fleets are 4 million, and they spawn in tons of them. I've not seen 25x contingency yet but I'm sure they're far and away the stupidest fleet power of the three crises

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Has anyone actually seen a War in Heaven end since Federations and knows what happens to the non-aligned league? I stayed out of the league in my current game because it formed out of a federation full of my enemies, then my big ally power also joined (welp) so the game is down to me and my subjects, the two rival AEs, a third AE that I single-handedly gutted and left to bleed out with a pile of mostly empty space, and the League, which is Literally Everyone Else.

Which leads to my question - if the War In Heaven ends, does the League dissolve (immediately or over time) or does it stick around? I could likely end the War extremely quickly but it's 2445 and the game is very laggy so I'm trying to decide if the resulting gamestate will be any fun. If it's just "me vs. the MegaFed" with no remotely interesting diplomacy left then I might as well call things here.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm playing a machine gestalt determined exterminator and I'm next to another one apparently and we bro'd out from like year 1. I was planning on no diplomacy, but if they want to guard my southern border then hey.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dallan Invictus posted:

Has anyone actually seen a War in Heaven end since Federations and knows what happens to the non-aligned league? I stayed out of the league in my current game because it formed out of a federation full of my enemies, then my big ally power also joined (welp) so the game is down to me and my subjects, the two rival AEs, a third AE that I single-handedly gutted and left to bleed out with a pile of mostly empty space, and the League, which is Literally Everyone Else.

Which leads to my question - if the War In Heaven ends, does the League dissolve (immediately or over time) or does it stick around? I could likely end the War extremely quickly but it's 2445 and the game is very laggy so I'm trying to decide if the resulting gamestate will be any fun. If it's just "me vs. the MegaFed" with no remotely interesting diplomacy left then I might as well call things here.

I led a league through the end of the war recently

The non-aligned league is a federation like any other, once the war ends the people who joined the federation are still in it. Some of the members will probably leave as the AI goes back to looking for rivals and paths for expansion, and members that are ideologically incompatible with the rest may leave immediately

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm playing a machine gestalt determined exterminator and I'm next to another one apparently and we bro'd out from like year 1. I was planning on no diplomacy, but if they want to guard my southern border then hey.

sometimes the galaxy just doesn't want organics

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Fhqwhgads posted:

That's awesome. I've been playing a Mass Effect Admiral run as the Reaper Vanguard and trying to keep the Geth on my side has consistently been the difference between going the distance and getting eaten alive. Last run we were doing well and I had picked up 16 planets off neighbors, when they dumped our defensive pact for the Krogan and I was immediately slammed by the Migrant Fleet, the Vol, and a random empire.

This game I'm doing way better, but I got a dream start where I was super isolated and able to wall off six planets and a Cybrex ringworld behind a pair of bastion systems. I almost got smothered by a 20k fleet just as I was getting my feet under me, but after knocking down one of my bastions they turned around to deal with my Geth ally that had launched into their backline. It gave me the time I needed to build up a cruiser fleet and retake my bastion. Now I'm living large off my Cybrex money machine and can basically do whatever I want since everyone else is Inferior. (Edit: That is until I was headshotted by an Awakened Empire from across the map with 400k fleet. Welp).

I wish that Lathland would do another genocidal run. The last one he did he only lasted 12 years. It's difficult to take many tips from that. In particular, it's just really hard to make any kind of long-term investment since every other empire is constantly gunning for you. His typical approach of Habitat spam just seems totally nonviable when it's rare to get more than a few years without being invaded. And without a Ecumenopoleis, you have to make all your Alloys the hard way - balancing a mix of refineries and forges that devour your resources with inefficiencies.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 11, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I like the idea of two terminators meeting up in space to agree to work together on extinguishing all organic life

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i gave the worm everything it asked for. except...

...well, when you watch this much shonen anime growing up, you just have to gurren lagann out on the cosmic terror, you know?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The worm is a chaos god, not the anti spiral, you done hosed up

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
ok whatever the thing final fantasy was preparing me for all my life then

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Unless you're doing it for your empire's lore reasons to fit thematically, you always want to embrace the worm. it turns every single non-gas giant/asteroid planetoid in your capital system into a colonizable tomb world, which if you're lucky can be over a dozen planets with tons of districts

It's absurdly powerful, and even moreso if you happen to get, say, Gray or can turn the tomb worlds into Gaia worlds or machine worlds.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
oh i'm just playing the way i play, i had no idea what the opposite mechanical consequences would've been at the time (even though i looked it up immediately afterwards) but that probably would've bummed me out if it had happened even if it's powerful lol

break the cycle

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Presented without comment or context.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Black Pants posted:

Presented without comment or context.

Math is hard

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Man do I really need a popup with three do-nothing buttons every time someone makes a research megastructure?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Crash and burn, black pants...

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
So I'm new. What, if any, mods will I want to use to make the AI better than the impression I'm getting from others (that it sucks)?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Apoplexy posted:

So I'm new. What, if any, mods will I want to use to make the AI better than the impression I'm getting from others (that it sucks)?

Suggest playing vanilla until you're comfortable with the game, then Glavius, then Starnet.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Aethernet posted:

Suggest playing vanilla until you're comfortable with the game, then Glavius, then Starnet.

Glavius has a few reccs for other mods that I enjoy atm. Like more events and more interesting planets.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Black Pants posted:

Man do I really need a popup with three do-nothing buttons every time someone makes a research megastructure?

Next you'll be asking if you need to be notified every time someone cancels a migration treaty. Where will the madness end

Aethernet posted:

I'd say play Glavius exclusively. Vanilla has some pretty broken pathfinding, the AI very rarely declares war, and the AI won't colonise the habitats it builds. Starnet makes every AI follow a zerg rush strategy, which is challenging but monotonous.

Glavius doesn't solve every issue (EG: The AI doesn't research wreckage) but it's the best solution to the AI sucking.

Anyone got thoughts on the Unofficial Patch mod? It's hard to find out exactly what it fixes, and when I tried using it recently all my stations were producing odd amounts of resources, like 1.9 energy, and I couldn't work out why.

Gort fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 11, 2020

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Just to confirm, Glavius is fully working with 2.7.2 and all? The only other mod I'm using/planning on using is Ariphaos' Unofficial Patch.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Apoplexy posted:

Just to confirm, Glavius is fully working with 2.7.2 and all? The only other mod I'm using/planning on using is Ariphaos' Unofficial Patch.

Glavius yes, not sure about the Unofficial Patch though. The game runs with it but I saw weird station outputs (like 1.9 energy) that I couldn't explain.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Apoplexy posted:

I recommend a run or two in just vanilla to get used to the mechanics, because glavius level AI will probably steamroll you while you're figuring stuff out.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Captain Invictus posted:

I recommend a run or two in just vanilla to get used to the mechanics, because glavius level AI will probably steamroll you while you're figuring stuff out.

Glavius is rough yeah. They really gently caress you when your back is turned. And fleet movement times can be really rough too.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The vanilla AI being terrible can work against you as a player too, though. Like an enemy invading you while your ally's fleet gets stuck going back and forth between the same two systems forever, not helping you.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
only trust your fleets, space police will never help you

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

how smart are populations about migrating to planets with a high habitability for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

PookBear posted:

how smart are populations about migrating to planets with a high habitability for them?

How often do you look at a feature in Stellaris and think to yourself "Wow, that is a clever and elegant behavior that isn't decided entirely by a coinflip. It appears this game was made by a fully-sapient beings who understand how software development works." as you admire the majesty of watching your economy implode because your genemodded workers decide they're better scientists than your scientists, leaving you with no miners/technicians and a lot of unemployed specialists?

There's your answer. :v: