Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wasn't the suggestion that it has something to do with the permeation of second wave greer types into the academic establishment in britain? Who are now very annoyed that our understanding has evolved since they were considered radically progressive and they're now radically conservative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
I heard Keir Starmer speak and emote for the first time today (I'm not from the UK). I knew getting someone like Corbyn in charge again was probably not going to happen, but I wouldn't have guessed that a British Mitt Romney would become the new leader of the Labour Party. Definitely a shift in a new direction.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Lots of British people genuinely seem to believe that being British is some kind of superpower, so BritTERFs are probably a subset of that

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

Also if someone's kid is bursting for a wee and the parents' gender's loos are rammed, I've never seen it be a problem for them to go into the other loos. Usually not a problem if one has a huge line and the other is empty for the adults to do so either. It's not commonplace but it's not exactly once in a blue moon. :shrug: And how many places even have gender-segregated changing rooms for trying on clothes and shite anyway? They're already private once you draw the curtain lmao

So it's really one of those things that's a flexible rule anyway not some kind of hard line thing where violation is a shooting offence.

For a while my daughter insisted I (a cis man & obviously presenting as such) had to accompany her in the women's toilets when we were out at places. She used to be fine with going in the gents but one day just declared "No those are for boys - I'm not going in there" and I quickly found that her being absolutely desperate for a piss is a strong negotiating tactic* so I'd cave.

Every single time we'd be in the toilets, people would come in, see me milling around and I'd sheepishly apologise that my daughter insisted I be there. I'd call for my daughter and she'd confirm that it was cool I was there (and usually give the room an update on what she was doing) and I never had an issue. I'd say about 90% of the time they'd laugh at me for being daft at thinking there was an issue at all / sweetly patronise for how obvious it was that I was a new father.

(There's a long post I'd like to make about a paper I'm writing on intent, trust and knowing other minds that I think fits this topic well but I don't have time :( so you all only get toilet anecdotes for now)

* The David Cameron approach

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

Wasn't the suggestion that it has something to do with the permeation of second wave greer types into the academic establishment in britain? Who are now very annoyed that our understanding has evolved since they were considered radically progressive and they're now radically conservative?

It could well be. I have a running joke with my partner that Greer is to her what Dawkins is to me, in the sense that they were big teenage influences that we've both now moved well past but have some residual begrudging respect for in spite of their going completely off the deep end in various ways.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

pitch a fitness posted:

For a while my daughter insisted I (a cis man & obviously presenting as such) had to accompany her in the women's toilets when we were out at places. She used to be fine with going in the gents but one day just declared "No those are for boys - I'm not going in there" and I quickly found that her being absolutely desperate for a piss is a strong negotiating tactic* so I'd cave.

Every single time we'd be in the toilets, people would come in, see me milling around and I'd sheepishly apologise that my daughter insisted I be there. I'd call for my daughter and she'd confirm that it was cool I was there (and usually give the room an update on what she was doing) and I never had an issue. I'd say about 90% of the time they'd laugh at me for being daft at thinking there was an issue at all / sweetly patronise for how obvious it was that I was a new father.

(There's a long post I'd like to make about a paper I'm writing on intent, trust and knowing other minds that I think fits this topic well but I don't have time :( so you all only get toilet anecdotes for now)

* The David Cameron approach
Given the obsession so many of these people have with reproduction and menstruation, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that being a parent absolves you of an AWFUL lot of things.

I wonder what they think of trans parents.

No, I don't, they don't think of things that don't fit their nonsensical worldview at all.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jippa posted:

How legitimate is https://www.businessinsider.com I often see it linked on reddit to stories about russia/brexit etc. I never know what to make of it though it seems quite click baity.

Kind of the same as the modern Independent - functional as a news source, and generally fine to cite, but a bit lightweight in content and journalistic quality.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

Given the obsession so many of these people have with reproduction and menstruation, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that being a parent absolves you of an AWFUL lot of things.
I was thinking about this while walking as part of a pathway against

Isomermaid posted:

the UK turns into a total transphobic fashy nightmare
and my earlier post on menstrual suppression movement and how it ended when

Guavanaut posted:

the Greer era women's lib wing came out swinging that they want to chemically castrate our precious little girls and we have no idea of what the long term effects are and menstruating is a natural and glorious part of being a woman, then some planes hit a building and the whole thing wasn't talked about for a while, but the whole thing is eerily reminiscent of the way the terves are talking about trans boys now.

They've fought half of this war before. Now I'm not suggesting that we do another 9/11 to derail it, and given how Rowling decided to have a TERF day instead of using her platform to condemn racism chances are if 9/11 happened now she'd be merrily tweeting about the trans threat as people were jumping out of the burning building, but looking back at what happened then might be a useful point for trans people and allies.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i or someone else in one of the ealrier threads posted a twitter thread about how this idea tons of people detransition all came from 1 person and what was seemingly a fake charity

anyone remember it?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
JK Rowling keeps doubling down, she a scumbag

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

i or someone else in one of the ealrier threads posted a twitter thread about how this idea tons of people detransition all came from 1 person and what was seemingly a fake charity

anyone remember it?
https://twitter.com/AidanCTweets/status/1260126476571217920

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
cheers

this about the maya forstater case is worth a read https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/j-k-rowling-s-maya-forstater-tweets-support-hostile-work-ncna1105201

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Apparently George Floyd and his murderer Derek Chauvin knew each other from working at a nightclub in Minneapolis together.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/george-floyd-derek-chauvin-minneapolis-nightclub-worked-together-a4464706.html

quote:

George Floyd and murder accused Derek Chauvin clashed while working together at Minneapolis nightclub, says co-worker

George Floyd and the police officer charged with his murder knew each other "pretty well" and regularly "bumped heads" when they worked together at a nightclub in Minneapolis, a co-worker has claimed.

Former police officer Derek Chauvin has been charged with second-degree murder after he was filmed kneeling on Mr Floyd's neck for nearly nine minutes in the street on May 25.

Speaking to CBS on Tuesday, David Pinney said he worked with the pair as a security guard at El Nuevo Rodeo last year.

"They bumped heads," Mr Pinney said. "It has a lot to do with Derek being extremely aggressive within the club with some of the patrons, which was an issue."

Mr Pinney said the two men knew each other "pretty well" and said that Mr Chauvin probably knew who Mr Floyd was when he arrested him.

"He knew him," Mr Pinney told CBS. "I would say pretty well."

The nightclub owner, Maya Santamaria, confirmed last month that the two men worked security at the site.

She told CBS that she believed Mr Chauvin was "afraid and intimidated" by black people in general.

"He sometimes had a real short fuse and he seemed afraid," she said.

The news comes after Mr Floyd was laid to rest next to his mother in his hometown of Houston, Texas, on Tuesday, nearly two weeks after his death in Minneapolis.

He was lovingly remembered as Big Floyd, a “gentle giant”, a father and brother, athlete and mentor, and now a force for change.

Hundreds of mourners wearing masks against coronavirus packed the Fountain of Praise Church to remember the black man whose death has sparked a global reckoning over police brutality and racial prejudice.

His brother Rodney told mourners: “Everybody is going to remember him around the world. He is going to change the world.”

The Rev William Lawson, who once marched with the Rev Martin Luther King Jr, said of Mr Floyd: “Out of his death has come a movement, a worldwide movement.

Democrats unveil police reform bill following weeks of protests
"But that movement is not going to stop after two weeks, three weeks, a month. That movement is going to change the world.”

Mourners also included actors Jamie Foxx and Channing Tatum, rapper Trae tha Truth, Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo and city mayor Sylvester Turner, who brought the crowd to its feet when he announced he will sign an executive order banning police using choke holds in the city.

The funeral came a day after about 6,000 people attended a public memorial, also in Houston, waiting for hours to pay their respects to Mr Floyd, whose body lay in an open gold-coloured casket.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

I wonder what they think of trans parents.

No, I don't, they don't think of things that don't fit their nonsensical worldview at all.

I hadn't thought in those specific terms before but yeah possibly. that's pretty funny though as I wasn't yet her dad (adopting's sometimes v slow) but was never going to be challenged on that.

I just always saw it as amusing that for those specific circumstances she was, in effect, the one in charge & as much as she needed my help, I felt like I needed her help far more.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why do terves always say "it's basic biology" like it makes them sound cool?

Like, yeah, it is. Go read some intermediate or advanced biology.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

genuinely awful that rowling just gets to promotely blatantly false statistics to millions of people with no consequence

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well that's the point isn't it? Your kid has their own identity and you're helping to facilitate that, which is ideally what everyone would do.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Guavanaut posted:

Why do terves always say "it's basic biology" like it makes them sound cool?

Like, yeah, it is. Go read some intermediate or advanced biology.

It's the same as people saying "I realised x was bad when I was a kid!" as if it supports their opinion.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Man, it must be years now since I had a pint of Doom Bar. It used to be the best bitter on tap at one of my local pubs. I liked the stuff.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Munin posted:

Man, it must be years now since I had a pint of Doom Bar. It used to be the best bitter on tap at one of my local pubs. I liked the stuff.

It's a gateway ale.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
From the Rowling blog

quote:

I’m also aware through extensive research that studies have consistently shown that between 60-90% of gender dysphoric teens will grow out of their dysphoria.

Anyone have any idea what she's on about, or is it just nonsense?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
She's defining dysphoria extremely loosely, not all dysphoria is the same, and there's not a hard set level that any person's has to be at to be valid.

She's also playing the "I’ve wondered whether, if I’d been born 30 years later, I too might have tried to transition." card, as if that's something bad. Sounds like an old vicar in the 90s saying "if all this sexual openness and 'gay pride' was around when I was a boy, I might have been drawn into temptation" and, yeah, okay, cool?

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
The only thing jk has researched is how to speedrun your career down the shitter.

You gotta hit 2 bottles of red by 13 minutes and the first tweet out by 15, smooth sailing after the that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

From the Rowling blog

Anyone have any idea what she's on about, or is it just nonsense?
There are some studies that report 90%. These studies are abject nonsense because their definition of 'growing out' is often itself gender essentialist, and many teens 'grow out' of it because their life circumstances wouldn't give them the option to even if they wanted to. For instance one of these studies has, as one of its criteria for still experiencing dysphoria, 'a strong rejection of 'masculine' coded games, toys, or activities.'

You play call of duty? good, your gender dysphoria is clearly gone

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
imagine having all those billions of pounds and still choosing to waste your evenings shitposting on twitter like a plebe

how can you be that bothered by trans people minding their own business?

i wonder what her posting rig looks like

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

King Crab posted:

The only thing jk has researched is how to speedrun your career down the shitter.

You gotta hit 2 bottles of red by 13 minutes and the first tweet out by 15, smooth sailing after the that.

lol if you think a single corp with a pride flag in their twitter icon will even vaguely disagree with what shes saying

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

lol

I like this

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable

Endorph posted:

lol if you think a single corp with a pride flag in their twitter icon will even vaguely disagree with what shes saying

Yeah... I know 😕

An enby can wish though!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JK rowling wearing a pointy hat and spitting out nuclear takes in all directions, I call it the whirling tervish.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Sorry to drop in the middle of jkr chat but has anyone here actually experienced white guilt? Someone I was having a chat with said that the only reason that white people were backing BLM was because of white guilt, I suggested that he was talking bollocks and no one I know has experienced white guilt but it did make me wonder if anyone I could speak to had actually experienced white guilt at all.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Munin posted:

It’s a decently consistent ale if it’s served right - it’s certainly a go to if I don’t like the look of anything else on tap somewhere.

bessantj posted:

Sorry to drop in the middle of jkr chat but has anyone here actually experienced white guilt? Someone I was having a chat with said that the only reason that white people were backing BLM was because of white guilt, I suggested that he was talking bollocks and no one I know has experienced white guilt but it did make me wonder if anyone I could speak to had actually experienced white guilt at all.

Guilt, no - I’m conscious of the relative privilege it brings and try my best to use that to level the field, but I wouldn’t call it guilt.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Red Oktober posted:

It’s a decently consistent ale if it’s served right - it’s certainly a go to if I don’t like the look of anything else on tap somewhere.

This was true for me too but it's been Guinness for the last year or so. Maybe that's a sign I'm getting old and terrible.

gently caress I'd kill for a well poured Guinness not from a can.

stev fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 10, 2020

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

stev posted:

This was true for me too but it's been Guinness for the last year or so. Maybe that's a sign I'm getting old and terrible.

A good Guinness is fabulous. The quality control at the point of serve is monitored by the brewery which helps.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bessantj posted:

I can't say I've ever experienced anything I'd call guilt about it no. I didn't ask to be born the way I did any more than anyone else did, but that doesn't mean that I can just ignore it. With a little bit of thought I can minimise the amount I personally cause problems and all the structural stuff isn't me doing it and I want it gone anyway, so I don't really think I have anything to feel personally guilty about.

But then, I also don't feel patriotism, nationalism, any sense of shared heritage with people of the kind that get statues put up of them. If I did, perhaps I would feel more personally if someone pointed out those things are poo poo?

If you don't attach yourself to poo poo ideas you don't have to feel personally guilty when other people point out that they're poo poo. And of course with the ideas I do believe in, I don't have any sense of cringe or whatever associated with them because I think they're cool and good and can stick up for them. I feel like guilt is when you know something's wrong but you're not prepared to deal with that, so it just sits there, nagging at you. And rather than resolving it you start complaining about people reminding you of it.

One of the joys of an ideology that abhors inherent contradictions. You get good at recognizing and resolving them.

Also sorry for posting glinner but it's hilariously relevant to what I posted earlier about the death of the author.

https://twitter.com/glinner/status/1270815123024773120?s=21

Because the author is in fact, so alive they can engage in cognitive imperialism. JK Rowling has conquered your brain with harry potter and will subsume you into her greater mindscape.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 10, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bessantj posted:

white guilt is defintely a thing some people can get performative about, but it usually manifests in, still talking over black people. a good recent example is white neolibs going 'all the white people need to leave this protest, this is for black people!' while black people get mad at them

or an excerpt a friend recently expressed to me, going to a rally in their country and having a white speaker go on about 'go up to a black person, give them a hug, ask them how they're doing' and then a black speaker going up and going 'uh, please dont do that to a stranger, thatd be weird' and the first speaker getting mad

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

OwlFancier posted:

JK rowling wearing a pointy hat and spitting out nuclear takes in all directions, I call it the whirling tervish.

JK Rowling makes people wear the gender Sorting hat before they can use the toilet.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks for the answers. I always thought it was a bit laughable when people talked about "white guilt." I can recognise that white British people have been pretty poo poo to people in other parts of the world without feeling guilty over it.

For someone who says they have trans friends that they support Rowling seems to be going out of her way to be lovely.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

White guilt has always seemed to me to be something the right bang on about to explain why people to the left of them could possibly care at all what happens to people who aren't the same colour as them, to be honest.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
statue chat

apparently it's confronting our legacy of slavery and genocide that will actually lead to the second holocaust, but if we ignore it everything will be fine - source: some Tory councillor

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/10/tory-councils-under-pressure-review-monuments-linked-slavery

quote:

Pressure is mounting on hundreds of Conservative councils to review local monuments linked to the slave trade after it emerged that no Tory-run local authority has seemingly begun action following the removal of statues in Bristol and London.

The head of the group representing Conservative councils said she personally believed horrors like the Holocaust could happen again if historical reminders of past mistakes were not allowed to remain.

The toppling of a statue of the slave trader Edward Colston on Sunday, amid one of numerous protests following the police killing of George Floyd in the US, has prompted a national rethink about the role of historical statues and other monuments or names honouring slavers or others with similar records.

Following Black Lives Matter (BLM) protests across the UK, a “hit list” of targets has been drawn up by protesters under the name Topple the Racists, including statues of Sir Francis Drake, William Gladstone and Sir Thomas Guy, the founder of Guy’s hospital in London.

Dozens of memorialised historical figures could be removed or altered after all Labour councils in England and Wales said they would examine statues and monuments, with the Local Government Association (LGA) Labour group agreeing to “review the appropriateness of local monuments and statues on public land and council property”.

Bristol council said on Wednesday that a commission of historians and others would look into the city’s “true history” after protesters pulled down the statue of Colston and dumped it in the harbour.

In Labour-led Tower Hamlets in London, a statue of Robert Milligan, an 18th-century slave owner, was removed from the Docklands area in the east of the city on Tuesday by the Canal and River Trust, which owns the land.

London Metropolitan University is to drop the name of the 17th-century merchant Sir John Cass from its art and design school due to his links with the slave trade. A hall at Liverpool University named after the former PM William Gladstone will be renamed, after students objected to his family’s slave trade links.

Izzi Seccombe, the leader of Warwickshire county council and head of the LGA Conservative group, said she was unaware of any Tory councils that have yet taken any action. The LGA group has passed the issue to the Conservative Councillors’ Association to review.

Secombe said she was wary of such actions. “My particular view is that if we ignore our history, we will never move forward in life. We will never learn the mistakes of history. I think it is so important that we reflect on the mistakes of history that have been made, throughout the world, not only in our own country.

“If we never reflect on those mistakes, things like the Holocaust happen again. All of these issues are matters of history, and if we ignore it we will repeat these mistakes.”

Bell Ribeiro-Addy, the Labour MP for Streatham, who has called for better education about the slave trade and other issues in the wake of the removal of the Colston statue and the global BLM protests triggered by the death of Floyd at the hands of police in Minneapolis, said she was “proud to see Labour leading the way with this review”.

She said: “On the other hand, the reaction of some Conservative councillors to BLM protests shows they are more angry about people shining a light on their own racism, than they are about racism itself. With two Conservative councillors stepping down this week alone, after making blatantly discriminatory comments, you would think they had more to prove.

“The prime minister’s recent words about race relations will ring hollow if Tory councils refuse to follow suit and take steps to review their monuments to slave traders.”

Layla Moran, the Liberal Democrat MP who has supported a campaign for the removal of a statue of the Victorian imperialist Cecil Rhodes at Oriel College in Oxford, said more councils should act.

“This is now a national debate, and all councils need to consider the appropriateness of statues of white supremacists and slave owners,” she said. “My view is that these statues do not reflect our values, and therefore do not have a place on our streets.

“I call on Conservative-run councils to wake up to the national mood, catch up with other councils and begin an assessment of any such statues in their local areas without delay.”

Downing Street has condemned the toppling of the statue in Bristol, and backed police action against those who did it, but has tried to steer clear of the wider debate.

Asked about the removal of Milligan’s statue, a No 10 source said: “In terms of statues, I would point you back to what the PM said the other day – we have a democracy in this country. If you want to change the urban landscape you can stand for election, or vote for someone who will.”

Asked if Boris Johnson would “take the knee” in solidarity with Floyd and the campaign after his death, as did the Labour leader, Keir Starmer, the source said: “The PM’s focus is on improving the lives and opportunities of BAME people as part of our levelling up agenda.”
it seems plausible enough to me on the face of it, after all the productive and constructive national conversation we'd been having for years re: colston and his legacy was pretty severely hampered when everyone immediately forgot who he was and what he did the moment the statue went for a swim

obviously the best way to learn from the past is just to leave it where it is and not think about it too hard, if we did something more proactive like ask whether it's appropriate to honour the memory of people who bought sold and butchered tens of thousands of people then we wouldn't be reflecting on them and their actions and we wouldn't learn from them

lol

I can never work out whether these people are genuinely this stupid or if it's completely disingenuous

also I'm pretty sure the reason bojo won't take a knee is because he'd topple over like one of the bad statues and wouldn't be able to get back up again

also also I can't be the only one who thinks about getting a sweet level 100 charizard or getting to put another point in the perk chart whenever the conservatives talk about levelling-up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

bessantj posted:

Your friend is dumb as hell, if it was left-handed or green-eyed people getting disproportionately killed by police you wouldn't expect the opposition to that to exclusively come from left-handed or green-eyed people that doesn't change because the specific arbitrary characteristic is race. White people could back BLM because they aren't identitarians and feel sympathy/concern for people of other races, they could back BLM because they have black people in their lives that they like/love and would want to be protected from potential harm, they could back BLM because racially targeted killings offends their principles of justice and equality, your friends take is loving ridiculous (unironically has extremely good IDpol praxis though).

To your question I definitely have experienced white guilt. Back in the day I was really active on progressive Tumblr performatively unlearning my whiteness and all that shite and looking back it was really negative, not in a 'push through the difficulty to emerge stronger' way but just in a 'every single thing you've achieved is because you were born white don't feel any pride in it whatsoever, the world would probably be better if you weren't born and that feeling can't be alleviated in any dependable way because any poc poster is your moral and intellectual superior no matter how dumb or cruel their take is, and oh by the way there's no actual plan or structure to any of this except you are bad'. If you're already sort of alienated and get into a toxic space like that, and you think it's the intellectually sound and morally correct framework, of course you're gonna feel an aimless sure but still really sincere guilt.

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 11, 2020