Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

nielsm posted:

Reposting this:

The foundations have measurements: They are 8x8 meters base, and come in 1, 2 and 4 meter heights.

Someone else I shared this with noted that in the bottom example pipes don't suck, they push. But the diagram shows the opposite as being the good setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I have noticed that if you hold the crouch/slide button while hopping along a flat section of terrain, you seem to gain speed. So that's been fun as I start my factory.

Edit: I took the warframe approach and bound crouch to a thumb mouse button so I don't have a crippled left hand though.

Though the awesome shop has stairs and poo poo if you really want to get up to your sky factory the "normal" way. Which is boring after you get hypertubes.

DelphiAegis fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 10, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Someone else I shared this with noted that in the bottom example pipes don't suck, they push. But the diagram shows the opposite as being the good setup.
Pumps don't suck or push. They are a programming object that tells pipes ahead of them if they have liquid in them or not. I'm not saying the diagram is the full truth but it would make sense that a pipe cross will defuse the pumping vertical distance because it technically "forgets" there was a pump earlier. Or similar technical bullshit you do to do a fluid network that doesn't melt your processor into slag.

DelphiAegis posted:

I have noticed that if you hold the crouch/slide button while hopping along a flat section of terrain, you seem to gain speed. So that's been fun as I start my factory.

Edit: I took the warframe approach and bound crouch to a thumb mouse button so I don't have a crippled left hand though.

Though the awesome shop has stairs and poo poo if you really want to get up to your sky factory the "normal" way. Which is boring after you get hypertubes.
Welcome to the ski team, friend.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 10, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
While waiting for parts to send up the space elevator , I decided to do more exploring and to also bring some parts to crash sites to get hard drives. While out, I found what I'm guessing is the desert starting location. A big sea of dunes and some oases. It's insane how much detail is in this map. At the same time, it kind of sucks because there's no real reason to explore besides finding hard drives. I'm not going to find new fruits or resources or anything because every area seems to already have everything. But this is a big open area, I kind of want to build a factory out here.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

While waiting for parts to send up the space elevator , I decided to do more exploring and to also bring some parts to crash sites to get hard drives. While out, I found what I'm guessing is the desert starting location. A big sea of dunes and some oases. It's insane how much detail is in this map. At the same time, it kind of sucks because there's no real reason to explore besides finding hard drives. I'm not going to find new fruits or resources or anything because every area seems to already have everything. But this is a big open area, I kind of want to build a factory out here.

Hard drives are a pretty good incentive! There's alternates for almost every recipe in the game, often two or three for important intermediates.

Every area has all the basic resources, but once you start getting to the more late-game ones they start getting scarce. There are very few sources of bauxite or uranium in the world, and none of them are near starting locations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

LLSix posted:

Just got this when it released on Steam. Some experimentation showed I could stack constructors on top of each other using walls and foundations. The closest together I can get them vertically is 3 wall heights apart. Is that right?

Yes. Annoyingly, the only reason that's the case is the little blinky antenna thing on the top; if you avoid that you can stack them at 2 wall heights, but it means each layer of constructors needs to be offset from the previous one.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Once I research trains, I think i'm gonna travel the world and just find the prettiest, most aesthetic places to ruin with a factory. I wanna build one that's just hugging a vertical cliffside, one suspended over a buttomless chasm, one that's Midgaring an entire forest. So many possibilities.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
How exactly do I expand power in my base? 1 made 4 new coal factories attached to three water extractors but if I try to attach them I blow a fuse. How should I be doing this?

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
You might need temporary bio generators to kickstart the coal generators (specifically the water drawn into them)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mayveena posted:

How exactly do I expand power in my base? 1 made 4 new coal factories attached to three water extractors but if I try to attach them I blow a fuse. How should I be doing this?

Attaching the power plants blows a fuse? That doesn't make any sense. If you mean the water extractors, I'm getting by with just two extractors for my 4 coal plants. Connect them to a biofuel generator first to get them powered up and sending water and then turn on the coal generators.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Black Griffon posted:

Once I research trains, I think i'm gonna travel the world and just find the prettiest, most aesthetic places to ruin with a factory. I wanna build one that's just hugging a vertical cliffside, one suspended over a buttomless chasm, one that's Midgaring an entire forest. So many possibilities.

Wish there was a map view build tool so I could build tracks though areas I haven't been and get a scenic tour. I rode the manta ray thing and that was pretty cool, sadly you can't kill it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Attaching the power plants blows a fuse? That doesn't make any sense. If you mean the water extractors, I'm getting by with just two extractors for my 4 coal plants. Connect them to a biofuel generator first to get them powered up and sending water and then turn on the coal generators.

The water extractors and miners need to be powered before the coal generators can start up.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I had this issue when I set up my early coal plant, needed to supply startup power to all the pumps and miners before I could switch over. You can also flip off your production machines while it starts up go give your grid more juice.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

bring enough mats to build a couple of gennys and you can kickstart the coal array with a handfull of leaves.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks folks, I’ll bring a bunch of biogens and work with that. Sure am anxious to get it done because I can’t add anything else to the grid.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is it safe to throw all these alien artifacts that are a WIP into the awesome sink?

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Is it safe to throw all these alien artifacts that are a WIP into the awesome sink?

I'm pretty sure the sink doesn't eat those, or any type of limited resource like slugs (yes I know you can get them from lizards).

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Leal posted:

Well, right now they don't do anything and it might be a few major updates before they do.

So you're not going to lose anything, though if you want to keep the same factory through to release you might regret it I guess.

Caveat that I've never tried it so I've no idea if the crusher will even accept them.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It doesn't crush them. It will however gunk up your intake and require you to disassemble the belt leading into it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I didn't look into how to actually make aluminum before I decided to make my one train be bauxite and oil thinking "this is dumb to put them together, but they are near each other and along the train route" and then I looked into my recipes and realized I needed oil in my aluminum supply chain anyway. Sometimes I'm accidentally good at this game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Been playing this with the gf now that it's out on steam. Is it just the state of multiplayer (the game warns that its a WIP) that we get a lot of positional de-syncing? Like no issues building and making things, but trying to follow her around is basically impossible because her character will de-sync and get stuck running into an object on my end. Fighting monsters and driving the truck is also giving a lot of problems for similar reasons.

Like, I don't think we have a bad connection, is this sort of thing just to be expected with where MP is at right now?

As for planning: I'm finding myself conflicted between trying to adhere to ratios creating dedicated lines (eg: 1 mk1 Miner: to 2 Smelters to 4 rods to 6 screws) and just saying gently caress it and pooling all of the iron together, then splitting it as needed, even if it might not work out perfectly, since I can probably just add more iron in down the road.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

As for planning: I'm finding myself conflicted between trying to adhere to ratios creating dedicated lines (eg: 1 mk1 Miner: to 2 Smelters to 4 rods to 6 screws) and just saying gently caress it and pooling all of the iron together, then splitting it as needed, even if it might not work out perfectly, since I can probably just add more iron in down the road.

Wait until you find out that the purity of the node affects how much ore you get from it. Some starts have pure iron nodes that you cannot take full advantage of until you progress through t2 and get the 120/min belts.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also, you can eventually unlock over and under clocking that lets you set exact outputs to keep things moving along.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I never played efficiently. I manually made so much poo poo, would place my tablet over the mouse button to let it craft. Would just explore while my single manufacturer churned out space elevator research stuff, manually moved around products. Really, getting all the research done didn't require being efficient at all, it would have made it faster, but it's not necessary to enjoy this game and progress.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There are certain items now that you can't make outside one of the production buildings.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Oxyclean posted:

Been playing this with the gf now that it's out on steam. Is it just the state of multiplayer (the game warns that its a WIP) that we get a lot of positional de-syncing? Like no issues building and making things, but trying to follow her around is basically impossible because her character will de-sync and get stuck running into an object on my end. Fighting monsters and driving the truck is also giving a lot of problems for similar reasons.

Like, I don't think we have a bad connection, is this sort of thing just to be expected with where MP is at right now?

Regarding MP - yes, they are working on Dedicated servers and things like that so that they can resolve a lot of the desnyc issues, but my recommendation is just drop/reload the server at regular intervals and that sincerely helps the issue. We were playing with a guy in western canada (im in Ohio) and got a few hours of sync before it got weird again.

For planning - I have to break my factorio mindset of making crates and boxes to store extra ore so I do not run out, because miners are infinite. Like someone else said the purity does affect the output but its the quantity, not quality. Also remember that recipes update to higher and more complex things, so you do not need a pile of plain plates at tier3, you need all of that resource being churned into smart plates and rotors and then using those to assemble more.
Its ironic, because the point of Factorio is to automate production then hoard all of the resources to churn into massive piles of outputs just for raw science but just 6 total overall items, and Satisfactory basically says 'nah just redo your production line to output whatever component you need RIGHT THEN'. I have storage boxes full of plates and screws and rods which is great for building stuff, but at the same time does nothing for overall tier progression. Researching foundations is a good time to start a factory floor over and streamline it just to get the full output of the items you need. What do you need produced, redo your line to make THAT THING efficiently.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
That is actually one difference I don't care for from Factorio. A lot of these products are the end of the line and aren't needed for anything beyond themselves. I'm pretty sure I just cracked open the part where that's no longer the case hopefully. For example, I made thousands of reinforced plates to make MK2 belts with. But now that I have MK3 and they require only steel beams I have thousands of reinforced plates I need to either trash or find a use for.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

There are certain items now that you can't make outside one of the production buildings.

I know but that doesn't stop me from putting 5 cargo containers up with belts and manually supplying mats to them and doing production the slow way lol.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

That is actually one difference I don't care for from Factorio. A lot of these products are the end of the line and aren't needed for anything beyond themselves. I'm pretty sure I just cracked open the part where that's no longer the case hopefully. For example, I made thousands of reinforced plates to make MK2 belts with. But now that I have MK3 and they require only steel beams I have thousands of reinforced plates I need to either trash or find a use for.

You need them for space elevator research stuff...but if you have that all done, yeah you might just feed em into the sink.

modular frames require reinforced plates, and you need a ton of these to make 500 heavy modular frames

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Reinforced plates are used to make modular frames, which you need a lot of, and are also generally used to build buildings throughout the game.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Cool! Well that's one out of several! It isn't actually near as bad as it seems but because it's a little more effort to rebuild than in Factorio I'd like to see a long term use for some of these. But then the ratios will change and the--

Kind of wish space elevator parts were some of those. I spent X hours building a line to make Y Z's per minute and now that I gave them to space I have a million extras for ticket fodder.

Anyway, why the gently caress doesn't this game have ghost/blueprint building like Factorio? That's the real feature I want, the ability to plan something beforehand and then build it without being a slave to the actual resources. Obviously for things like walls and walkways they would need to be actually built before you can expand further (basically so you don't get free functional ghost constructions) but it'd be nice.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think blueprints are the most requested feature at this point that isn't dedicated servers. Before that it was fluids, and we got those out of the blue with update 3.

Typically when I'm "done" with a lower level manufactured item like reinforced plates I'll direct the overflow to a shredder now. And then come back to it and reroute it because I wasn't *really* done with them, I just didn't need them for three tiers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Don't throw anything into the sink unless you're making so much of it that you have no where else to put it. You never know when you'll need 50 motors for something and you sent them to be shredded.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Blueprints need to happen.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Fill an industrial container or two with product just in case

If you don’t have anything to make with the output once full redirect the input to a new factory. All your effort in the original factory is still good and valid and ready to turn back on if you ever run out of *checks notes* 4800 Parachutes?

Low level products like Reinforced plates are fine for early game tickets but higher tier items are exponentially worth more points. Only shred until you have the future industrial capacity to use the inputs for higher tier products

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I never made parachutes, I just rushed jetpack research.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Only thing I shred are redundant space elevator parts. Easy tickets, and once I set up manufacturing I've got an endless supply anyway.

I keep one big containerful of every part because you'll always need them for something. I do a lot of beautification, so I can never get enough basic plates and rods, and factories use all kinds of parts, so I might as well keep them around. right now I've got a new design for my general parts storage which allows me to rapidly set up and tear down manufacturing of specific parts. Whenever I run out of, say, rotors, I'll reroute raw materials to my general inventory, set up a quick, ugly array, and manufacture a containers worth of rotors while hunting snails or making my foundries look pretty.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Are parachutes automatic or a second jump or the use key or....? I've not needed them but now that I've hit the phase where you have to go exploring I kind think I might, Just In Case.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Put excess stuff into the Awesome Sink.

I hate importable blueprints. They kill the creativity for me. I’m fine if you make them in game and then can paste them down, but just importing a bunch of blueprints and placing them down all over the place makes me question why I’m even playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I've imported spagetti bowls in cites skylines now and then, but half the fun in a game like this is designing factories that look cool and are effective. I guess if anything, I'd rather export my own blueprints.