Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

if nascar actually has any hope to survive they need to shed their redneck image. keeping shitters who care about their right to fly confederate flags is more detrimental to the long-term health of the sport than telling them to gently caress off.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
This is the best I've felt about NASCAR in a long time

e: now issue an official apology for the trump rally at Daytona

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
This is NASCAR making a business decision that they don’t want another generation of these turds keeping them regional for another 50 years

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/jtylerconway/status/1270820259080142852

this surrender sponsored by creditone

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
https://twitter.com/LjsGoat/status/1270822569625747460

*Bingo card explodes*

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

if nascar actually has any hope to survive they need to shed their redneck image. keeping shitters who care about their right to fly confederate flags is more detrimental to the long-term health of the sport than telling them to gently caress off.

Cut the rest of the fat (rednecks who disagree with any of this good stuff) from the fanbase and start over.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
I know a couple of tracks have done college discounts and stuff, but that's what they need more of, and let them know that you can bring your own beer to on raceday. To talk more about physics on the broadcasts and appeal to enginerds.

And of course getting kids hooked.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Isn't that guy in the avi pics meme?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

By the grace of God and 600 horsepower

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

I agree. I think it'll sting initially but I do believe it will bring in new fans too. My wife is black and although she loves racing, she says that seeing all the confederate flags has always made her feel a little unwelcome (although nobody has ever been outwardly hostile towards us). With this news she's even more excited to get to another race.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

FS1 just started the pre race broadcast with Mike Joy reading the statement. Beautiful.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is the greatest thing that's ever happened.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

your friend wicka posted:

This is the greatest thing that's ever happened.

These reactions justify NASCAR's decision on this. Great job on their part. These loving people need to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
I've been to races with some diverse groups of people and I've never seen any fans be lovely to anyone's face, but maybe that says something about Southern hospitality.

The crowd is not very diverse but it is very welcoming, I would dare say much more tolerant than a lot of other overwhelmingly white social scenes in America are, and I think that's what the statement gets right. Nobody should be made to feel like they wouldn't be welcome.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yo this is awesome

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

I was gonna say that we've come a long way from Jeff Gordon is gay jokes but everyone still loves that Will Ferrell movie that's wild problematic

That whole Sacha Borat Cohen guy character is just a "Europeans are gay" joke but I guess a lot of comedy aged poorly very quickly as to that

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Friends is unbearable now, to a degree that is shocking even when you go in expecting it.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/GabeIkard/status/1270842617396412425

Counterpoint: I can't wait for all the people to turn off NASCAR when it's raining and not tune in tomorrow afternoon

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pinecone Sample posted:

I know a couple of tracks have done college discounts and stuff, but that's what they need more of, and let them know that you can bring your own beer to on raceday. To talk more about physics on the broadcasts and appeal to enginerds.

And of course getting kids hooked.

Honestly, they've already shown they can survive without any fans in the stands. Maybe they should consider making the tickets dirt cheap so people can actually take their family to a race and not spend $1,000.

But Nascar being the only sport really going at the moment and doing a bunch of positive poo poo to get rid of their redneck fanbase, it's probably going to bring in some of the young adults that used to watch it when they were kids...

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Driving some old racist fans away isn't a big deal because they're old and outside of most ad demographics anyway, and their presence perpetuates the negative stereotypes about NASCAR that prevent it from growing in younger demographics.

Get the old racists out and draw in some fresh blood so I can see something besides ads for ED and COPD during races.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

shame on an IGA posted:

Friends is unbearable now, to a degree that is shocking even when you go in expecting it.

I can't believe some of the early episodes of The Office haven't drawn scrutiny.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Clownshoes

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

I was shocked that 40% of NBA and MLB revenue comes from tickets and game night sales. In NASCAR it's always just been getting the sponsor airtime.

I'm sure NASCAR also had to see the writing on the wall when the iRacing average viewer was like 50 and the NBA 2K average viewer was like 25.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Pinecone Sample posted:

I was gonna say that we've come a long way from Jeff Gordon is gay jokes but everyone still loves that Will Ferrell movie that's wild problematic

That whole Sacha Borat Cohen guy character is just a "Europeans are gay" joke but I guess a lot of comedy aged poorly very quickly as to that

That movie was an insult to NASCAR fans (e- in that it took every low-hanging fruit stereotype and assumed everyone involved in the sport was that way).

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

By the grace of God and 600 horsepower

CBJSprague24 posted:

I can't believe some of the early episodes of The Office haven't drawn scrutiny.

Steve Carrell said in a fairly recent interview that he didn't think they'd be able to make that show today.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

this race is loving insane, i've never seen so many cars come and go so fast. almirola led 19 laps and is now a lap down

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

kidcoelacanth posted:

this race is loving insane, i've never seen so many cars come and go so fast. almirola led 19 laps and is now a lap down

Fuuuuuuuuck.

I figured it got rain delayed so I went to the store.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

can't believe people are falling for this troll smh

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Loved this: https://www.pastemagazine.com/tv/the-office/the-office-binge-review-dwight/

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

In my experience, twitter comments contain every single possible opinion, so quoting a twitter comment isn't really saying much, especially now that there are a ton of accounts that are posting lovely opinions as a troll to get people riled.

That said, what kind of person would swear off of Nascar because of the BLM stuff? Like who would watch 3 hours of this if all they cared about was the politics?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Peanut President posted:

can't believe people are falling for this troll smh

I found out it was a troll shortly after but didn't want to ruin it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

There are a couple people in CSPAM that have already said they're gonna watch Martinsville for Bubba's paint job, I think they're gonna be disappointed when they realize there's no live audience

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Bubba's CC gambles with 2, car looking good out front but tire wear is a thing tonight, not sure that was a good move.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

Bubba's CC gambles with 2, car looking good out front but tire wear is a thing tonight, not sure that was a good move.

it's for the good of the sport

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

it rules that the social distancing car and the black lives matter car are 1-2

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

I loving hate when I have to sell my truck because I am so upset that other people feel like you are calling them racist

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

chamois posted:

it's for the good of the sport

Only 10 to go to the stage, could work out well for stage points at least.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

Only 10 to go to the stage, could work out well for stage points at least.

He got about 4 spots out of it, not a bad call at all.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I found out it was a troll shortly after but didn't want to ruin it.

it was obvious immediately. What is this, your first rodeo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Peanut President posted:

it was obvious immediately. What is this, your first rodeo?

considering the behavior on twitter out of nascar fans this past week it wasn't too far fetched at all.