Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

ceebee posted:

Well, I'm glad I incorporated in Delaware. Always can count on YouTube for some self teaching

Also I'm not solely going to use LegalZoom, I just wanted to get this done quickly and affordably for now. Before any growth of the business happens I will be consulting with a lawyer to comb over my existing paperwork. I do plan eventually on taking potential investors but it's not my priority right now, just starting the business and getting it rolling.

Also, I quit my job for this. I mean, technically I quit it to do streaming and/or youtube full time but I'm just not a fan of how those platforms work in regards to paying content creators so I'm creating my own. I've got plenty of safety net for myself so I'm not really that concerned, and I can always take contract and freelance work if I need additional funds.

Thanks for the info though guys, despite the skepticism I'm still very excited and optimistic about this. I didn't get to where I'm at right now by listening to the people telling me something is too hard or too expensive to do.

This is such a brilliant troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

So you're not wanting to compete with netflix - you're wanting to compete with youtube and twitch?

While that may save you hundreds of millions in up front licensing costs, there are a lot of legal pitfalls you have no idea about because you're just trying to 'get this done quickly and affordably for now.' The problem with that line of thought is a good chunk of the work you're doing now is potentially wasted, and to correct said waste later on is magnitudes more expensive.

You need a lawyer now to ensure your business is properly structured and that you have contracts in place to cover your rear end when one of your streamers starts talking about killing the president or something dumb like that. This is not even touching on the fact that you have a desired brand name that is going to potentially run afoul of existing intellectual property rights.

While I commend you for quitting to pursue your passion, you need to start with a proper foundation. Think about it like building a house. If you're using a slab foundation and you don't get your concrete poured correctly, the entire building will be compromised. It doesn't matter how nice of a building you put up. The lovely foundation will settle/split, and your house is going to need major repairs or to be rebuilt entirely.

If your business plan is sound, you should be able get loans or a line of credit to set everything up and start initial operations. You should use that money to pay for professionals to do the things that you are not licensed to do. If nothing else, you should do it as insurance so you have someone else to sue when a problem comes up in the future. This also goes for coding and hardware/software setup & security, too.

Or just keep using youtube to figure all this out and become the groverhaus/bathdoom of streaming platforms.

Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely taking all of this to heart and not lightly despite my tone with the posts. I'll try to find a good lawyer, probably locally unless anybody here has a suggestion.

I'm definitely focused right now on building that foundation and doing it the Right Way. When I go about things I don't just jump head first into it I try to plan accordingly and do my due diligence, everything right now is just happening so fast. It's slightly overwhelming but more exciting than anything else I've ever worked on. I've been involved in development of projects that cost $10-$300mil so I'm not intimidated by costs or numbers, I'm intimidated moreso by lack of knowledge, which I'm actively working on improving.

BonerGhost posted:

Real quick, where are you even planning to host this stuff? Are you going to stream from your windows home server using your residential internet connection?

CDN most likely. Raw metal servers at some point maybe? There's just too many established companies offering their services for a good price for me to think about hosting it on my own.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

therobit posted:

This is such a brilliant troll.

Thanks bruv <3 It's not a troll, I think that's why I'm finding it funny too lol

Volmarias posted:

Just tell us the business plan at this point.

Nope. :smugdog:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
IANAL but I am a goon who occasionally finds himself at the bottom of the well. And I'm getting some goon in the well vibes.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Outrail posted:

IANAL but I am a goon who occasionally finds himself at the bottom of the well. And I'm getting some goon in the well vibes.

We all gotta start somewhere. Bottom of the well is a dark place though, I think I'm moreso sitting on the edge of a dark well but looking up in optimism at the sun burning my eyes out in the process, whoops.

I've been a goon long enough to know what a lot of us are like, I try to see the best in everybody until they give me a reason not to. I'm fortunate that the bitter cynicism that follows a lot of goons has been left behind in my growth as a decent human (or at least what I currently perceive that to be). I stay on this forum because I see a lot of value in the advice and knowledge of those that may know more than I do. Which is why I'm not afraid to ask. I grew up on this platform and I've learned a lot from it.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 10, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This isnt a goon thing, this is a 'I am consciously going to launch a startup in a way that assumes I am able to avoid all the problems that take people down the traditional startup route to solve', which means that you are either building a one man self-employment show that might pay the mortgage but wont make you rich, or you are just going to die in the valley of death.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

ceebee posted:

Also I'm not solely going to use LegalZoom, I just wanted to get this done quickly and affordably for now. Before any growth of the business happens I will be consulting with a lawyer to comb over my existing paperwork. I do plan eventually on taking potential investors but it's not my priority right now, just starting the business and getting it rolling.

ceebee posted:

I'm definitely focused right now on building that foundation and doing it the Right Way.

Yep, these are two points that go together.

"It will be hard and expensive to fix it later, don't use LegalZoom." I'll just use LegalZoom and fix it later.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ceebee posted:

We all gotta start somewhere. Bottom of the well is a dark place though

Your commitment to learning will help you a lot. You should be learning this stuff from a lawyer who knows what they're doing. I forget who suggested the incubator/clinic, but that's a really good option for no- or low-cost up-front advice. Law schools offer them, with experienced IP attorneys supervising law school students, as an accessible quasi-pro-bono/education combo. You have a lot of law schools out there; check them for IP clinics. Those clinics may even be happening remotely right now, so you can cast your net wider. It probably won't cost you much and you might believe them, even if you don't believe us.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Speaking of legal idiocy

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1270774399021572099?s=20

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Thanks for the solid advice, don't think I'm not putting serious thought into the information here. You're all totally right I should have just started with a real lawyer, but I did what I did with the limited knowledge I had and it is what it is. I have a fallback for income, and I'm definitely working on a fallback for this business. I'm a professional artist so I'm used to throwing out ideas and work and starting fresh regardless of whether it cost me time or money.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Hang on you quit your job to do this but you don't even know where you're going to host content yet?

I accidentally turned a hobby into a small business and I'm drat near profitable already, but it certainly doesn't pay the bills. If I had a job already I wouldn't quit it for this, and I've actually got money coming in.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

BonerGhost posted:

Hang on you quit your job to do this but you don't even know where you're going to host content yet?

I accidentally turned a hobby into a small business and I'm drat near profitable already, but it certainly doesn't pay the bills. If I had a job already I wouldn't quit it for this, and I've actually got money coming in.

Yeahhh, especially if the plan is to be streaming games or something. No YouTuber, even someone as big as Markiplier or Ryukhar, would recommend quitting your day job to start streaming unless you've hit the point where you're already making enough off of streaming to pay the bills on that alone, and able to do it reliably.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Since this is still going on, Ceebee, does anyone in your family have a history of manic episodes? Because this reads to my untrained eye as a manic episode.
Good luck please don't go bankrupt.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ceebee posted:

Thanks for the solid advice, don't think I'm not putting serious thought into the information here. You're all totally right I should have just started with a real lawyer, but I did what I did with the limited knowledge I had and it is what it is. I have a fallback for income, and I'm definitely working on a fallback for this business. I'm a professional artist so I'm used to throwing out ideas and work and starting fresh regardless of whether it cost me time or money.

You might consider throwing out your incorporation in favor of starting fresh and doing it right with legal advice.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

ceebee posted:

Don’t tell me: your fallback is to walk across the United States for mental health awareness.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

What was the help me with my finances goon who got banned just after buying Bitcoin with a credit card?

Because this feels like a rereg.

If you're not an elaborate troll, I doubt it, but if, please realize that all the people who tell you to drop everything and follow your dreams no matter what have survivors bias. Nobody asks the guy who came in dead last at the Olympics anything. Same with everything up to the top 5. Not saying don't follow your dreams, just maybe all in is a bad strategy.

You should make a thread dedicated to just you asking for advice and only do it if it's exactly what you want to hear. I'd read that thread.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Man are you streaming already somewhere? Like on twitch? I would love to watch your stream

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

If you don't have a business plan that survives someone else knowing what it is, how is it going to survive Tuba-zon or whatever from just doing it themselves?

You mention that this is grown out of frustration with the share of the money streamers get from ads, is this

1) A paid subscription streaming service
2) A service whose hook is "Streamers get 70% of the revenue!!?"

Because if so there's a reason that the ad revenue model for streamers is so paltry at this point, and it's not just greed.

Basically, we're seeing you post this and seeing it play out before our eyes and we're all getting popcorn trying to express our concern, except that you're not telling us that it's about dragons or science and we're all trying to warn you of MMO tripping points

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 11, 2020

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Volmarias posted:

If you don't have a business plan that survives someone else knowing what it is, how is it going to survive Tuba-zon or whatever from just doing it themselves?

You mention that this is grown out of frustration with the share of the money streamers get from ads, is this

1) A paid subscription streaming service
2) A service whose hook is "Streamers get 70% of the revenue!!?"

Because if so there's a reason that the ad revenue model for streamers is so paltry at this point, and it's not just greed.

Basically, we're seeing you post this and seeing it play out before our eyes and we're all getting popcorn trying to express our concern, except that you're not telling us that it's about dragons or science and we're all trying to warn you of MMO tripping points

I'll make the website if you incorporate the legal entity that will retain ownership of the intellectual property

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Devor posted:

I'll make the website if you incorporate the legal entity that will retain ownership of the intellectual property

Woah hold up I'm already starting the Wiki

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Hahaha leave it to goons to resort to calling me mentally ill or accusing me of having a manic episode. The only disability I have is ADHD but thank you for your concern.

Please, keep the skepticism coming. It's a great motivator for me.

Volmarias posted:

It is my opinion that I believe you are incorrect. But I do agree with you that ad revenue models are lovely.

BonerGhost posted:

I quit my job to pursue my passion and dreams, yes. I did not quit it solely for the purposes of starting this business. That just ended up coming up on it's own because it's directly related to the reasons why I quit.

I'm glad your hobby turned small business is working out for you. I was miserable at my job and I was busting my rear end for people who didn't respect my work or experience. If any of you want to criticize me for that you can gently caress right off and get a life of your own.

Also I thought this was the Legal Questions thread not the "poo poo on people's hopes and dreams" thread. I appreciate all the legal opinions I've gotten on here but my god some of you are fickle bitches.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 11, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ceebee posted:

Hahaha leave it to goons to resort to calling me mentally ill or accusing me of having a manic episode. The only disability I have is ADHD but thank you for your concern.

It's pretty healthy to ask someone quitting their job and sinking all their time/money into their great new business idea who also say they can't afford a lawyer for the paperwork if they are ok mentally. If you had said you were going to open a restaurant instead of trying to challenge a billion dollar company you'd be getting the same response.

But I do have lots of questions wrt the streaming aspect as I know a few streamers (so your own thread would be helpful), like what is your streaming set up? What is your target audience? What is your current streaming revenue? What if any game are you going to focus on, like Fortnite or LoL, or play single player stuff for an audience? Are you thinking of trying for any e-sports or competitive tournaments? What schedule are you planning to set-up, etc. Is there a gimmick or a character you put on while streaming?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

pentyne posted:

It's pretty healthy to ask someone quitting their job and sinking all their time/money into their great new business idea who also say they can't afford a lawyer for the paperwork if they are ok mentally. If you had said you were going to open a restaurant instead of trying to challenge a billion dollar company you'd be getting the same response.

But I do have lots of questions wrt the streaming aspect as I know a few streamers (so your own thread would be helpful), like what is your streaming set up? What is your target audience? What is your current streaming revenue? What if any game are you going to focus on, like Fortnite or LoL, or play single player stuff for an audience? Are you thinking of trying for any e-sports or competitive tournaments? What schedule are you planning to set-up, etc. Is there a gimmick or a character you put on while streaming?

I can afford a lawyer, and I still can even after LegalZoom did their work. It is other people's problems to assume that I'm unable to, I never said I couldn't afford a lawyer. I just said I went with LegalZoom because it was an affordable option for me with no contacts or referrals to a real lawyer. But the advice I got about seeking law institutes and potentially getting free or somewhat cheap legal advice and oversight was a great addition to this thread. I'm not against spending a lot of money, I'd just rather not to at this early stage of development.

And thanks for putting forth some questions and stuff, those are definitely appreciated. A separate thread isn't a bad idea, I'm just not quite ready yet to really explain or show anything to the general public. I'll definitely consider that in the future though!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What do you expect your response from lawyers was going to be when you came into this thread saying “LEGALZOOM” every other word

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

euphronius posted:

What do you expect your response from lawyers was going to be when you came into this thread saying “LEGALZOOM” every other word

Sorry you don't agree with what I did. Get the gently caress over it bitchass. I came in here for legal advice not for you to be an annoying twat.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 11, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s literally not a legal advice thread

We can’t give you legal advice unless you pay for it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ceebee posted:

Also I thought this was the Legal Questions thread not the "poo poo on people's hopes and dreams" thread. I appreciate all the legal opinions I've gotten on here but my god some of you are fickle bitches.

Lol. It's both. Also I thought the same thing when I asked for advice here. But then I remember how I sound when people ask for professional advice and direction in my field.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Legal opinions, what the gently caress ever you guys want to call it. I've gotten more helpful responses from random discord servers than this bullshit. Y'all really need to straighten up this thread.

And trust me euphronius, you couldn't even pay me to take your legal advice.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Edit

Nevermind

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Yeah that's right bitch edit your post. Sucks to be on the receiving end of assholery doesn't it?

ceebee fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 11, 2020

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

ceebee posted:

Sorry you don't agree with what I did. Get the gently caress over it bitchass.

You're not somehow beyond reproach because you asked for "advice". This is a dead gay comedy forum, my dude.

You sound like you're becoming emotionally unstable at the suggestion that you may have not done the first steps right or people telling you that your vague idea of what you want to accomplish is not a business plan and is in fact a goal.

Just for reference, no one whose brain is working right is ever this emotionally invested in something they haven't invested any time or money into, and especially not a business. Mental health concerns aside (and as someone who also has ADHD, I hope you check in with your doc before you get deeper into this thing without a plan because this is grandiose thinking), you need to think and act rationally if you're going to incorporate and operate a business. Will you fly off the handle at critics of your service if you got it up and running?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
No, but I certainly wouldn't try to gaslight them like you're trying to do to me. gently caress off with that poo poo you little bitch, go troll some other threads.

This dead gay comedy forum taught me a lot because there's people with valuable information, experience, and knowledge on it. If you just want to treat it like your little troll platform feel free, but I'm asking for genuine advice not some petty gaslight experiment. You might be able to do that to your parents while you sit in their basement but you can't do that poo poo to me you bitchass.

I actually really enjoy calling people bitchasses lately lol but srlsly you are...a bitchass, go spend some more money on avatars you little cuck

ceebee fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 11, 2020

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ceebee posted:

No, but I certainly wouldn't try to gaslight them like you're trying to do to me. gently caress off with that poo poo you little bitch, go troll some other threads.

This dead gay comedy forum taught me a lot because there's people with valuable information, experience, and knowledge on it. If you just want to treat it like your little troll platform feel free, but I'm asking for genuine advice not some petty gaslight experiment. You might be able to do that to your parents while you sit in their basement but you can't do that poo poo to me you bitchass.

I actually really enjoy calling people bitchasses lately lol but srlsly you are...a bitchass

Dude, don't sign your posts

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I'll do whatever the gently caress I please, bitchass.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I love this thread

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Not gonna lie I am starting to aswell.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ceebee posted:

Yeah that's right bitch edit your post. Sucks to be on the receiving end of assholery doesn't it?

I edited it because I made a dumb post

So I guess you won yeah

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ceebee posted:

I actually really enjoy calling people bitchasses lately lol but srlsly you are...a bitchass, go spend some more money on avatars you little cuck

huh

pentyne fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 11, 2020

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
It's ok euphronius, just next time know your place you little bitchass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

U won this round CD