Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Zero VGS posted:

I have a bunch of those Wyse cams (they were selling them at Microcenter as "webcams" even though you have to flash an unsupported firmware to make them into webcams, but anyway I got them for work since we had a shortage of webcams and they turned out to be impossible for users to figure out so I'm back to paying out the rear end for Logitechs).

Unlike the iPhone 7, the Wyse cams can't do h.265 so I'd need to buy a really big SD card to hit 24 hours on those. For now it comes with a two week trial of the cloud storage so I set it to the highest sensitivity to try to catch everything.

Don’t those security cams have motion detection activation so that you don’t need to record 24 hours? I thought all security cams had motion detection but i could be very wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok this is a weird one. I work nights but I need to schedule a text to be sent to my dad at a certain time while I’m sleeping. Googling seems to say that shortcuts will do it but I can’t seem to find one that actually works.

Has anyone had any luck getting it to work?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

blk posted:

I want to do something short of block a sender - I'd like to filter their messages in to an email box, or capture and archive them somehow, without getting notifications or seeing them up front in the Messages app. Any way to do this? Carrier is Verizon, if it makes a difference.
hmm, i don't know about filtering like this. worse comes to worse, there's an option to filter texts/imessages if they're not in your contacts, you could temporarily(?) remove the number from their contact maybe? carrier blocking is just that, blocking. imessage functions the same way.
if it's really important and you're on 13.5 or lower, you can jailbreak and there's a tweak that'll let you assign contacts to different categories and filter messages that way.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Don’t those security cams have motion detection activation so that you don’t need to record 24 hours? I thought all security cams had motion detection but i could be very wrong.
yeah, that's kinda the point of personal security cameras. it does the filtering down of that footage so you don't have to be your own loss prevention cctv guy or whatever. i know it's apparently for legal reasons, but i'm not sure the importance of seemingly wanting all the footage.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

I have a bunch of those Wyse cams (they were selling them at Microcenter as "webcams" even though you have to flash an unsupported firmware to make them into webcams, but anyway I got them for work since we had a shortage of webcams and they turned out to be impossible for users to figure out so I'm back to paying out the rear end for Logitechs).

Unlike the iPhone 7, the Wyse cams can't do h.265 so I'd need to buy a really big SD card to hit 24 hours on those. For now it comes with a two week trial of the cloud storage so I set it to the highest sensitivity to try to catch everything.

Have you considered buying the appropriate tools for your work rather than the cheapest junk you can find, and being unhappy they don't work how you want them to?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Does anyone else have a problem with the time picker for Reminders where after you drag the hour or minute scroller to the time you want, it keeps pulling itself back to the old time until your third or fourth attempt? This happens like almost half the time I'm trying to update the time on a future reminder and has been going on for a few months. I was hoping the full flatten and set up as a new device I did on both my iPhone and iPad not long ago might've sorted it (and the myriad of syncing issues with Reminders) but no luck.

Apple's support got to the "give us your phone number and we'll call you back at a specified date" stage of problem solving, but then they just didn't call I guess. :(

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

lol you can fit like a week's worth of 24/7 recording on a $10 64gb SD card in a Wyze cam with decent-ish HD quality.

edit: also the app is super easy to use on my crapple ipwn

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Have you considered buying the appropriate tools for your work rather than the cheapest junk you can find, and being unhappy they don't work how you want them to?

:perfect:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

I don’t think h.265 matters as much as you think it does. Per Wyze’s site, a 32gb card will get you 2-3 days of continuous HD recording. Which you can currently buy at Best Buy for $13, or less than $10 on Amazon.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There's no way to get 2-3 days at any decent bitrate, is there?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Charles posted:

There's no way to get 2-3 days at any decent bitrate, is there?

It's 720p for sure and the framerate might be one.

That would get you 2-3 days.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

endlessmonotony posted:

It's 720p for sure and the framerate might be one.

That would get you 2-3 days.

Yeah OK in pretty sure 32gb gets you single digit hours on a dashcam at 1080p and about 12kbps.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

well there’s your problem right there

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

sleepwalkers posted:

well there’s your problem right there

I'm having a boomer moment!! Mbps

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Given the filesystem costs and such, you can squeeze around 12 hours of ~acceptable 720p@30fps onto a 32gb card.

So if you were recording at 5fps that would be perfectly reasonable, and 5fps isn't totally out of place for security cameras.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MarcusSA posted:

Ok this is a weird one. I work nights but I need to schedule a text to be sent to my dad at a certain time while I’m sleeping. Googling seems to say that shortcuts will do it but I can’t seem to find one that actually works.

No shortcuts can’t do that for you. In general it can’t do anything for you without putting you in the loop so to speak. It can send you a notification at 3am telling you to press it, which could then run the shortcut to send the text message, but it can’t run the shortcut for you.

E: If you can find an email app that lets you schedule emails, you might be able to email to a sms depending on the receiver’s carrier. Verizon for example

quote:

Compose a new email and use the recipient’s mobile phone number as the email address, with the addition of “@vtext.com” at the end.

For example, if the phone number is 555-123-4567, type “5551234567@vtext.com.”

Maybe IFTTT can also be used to schedule an email.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 10, 2020

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Would a reoccurring calendar appointment accomplish the same goal?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If you have a Mac that is always on and your phone is within range and SMS Continuity is enabled you could probably do it with Automator (dunno if Automator can schedule - if not use a launchd job)

Also maybe https://textbelt.com/ if you don't have a Mac

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Can I get some leather case opinions? They don't get grimey quickly? Never used one.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rinkles posted:

Can I get some leather case opinions? They don't get grimey quickly? Never used one.

There is only one true leather case: Apple Saddle Brown.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Excuse me, it's not grime, it's a patina, and it's classy. :colbert:

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Rinkles posted:

Black cases look pretty similar when new and when worn. I have a black Apple Leather case on my old iPhone SE. It works great. I assume that the other Apple Leather Cases are good too.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the 5/5s/se leather case is the best case apple ever made. the ones for the 6 and up are pretty good but fall short of perfection. i hope that if they go back to flat edges they also bring back the old cases

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Flat edges are one of the reasons I still haven’t given up my original SE. Given the design of the new one I don’t think they’re ever coming back.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Given the design of the iPad Pro and the rumored iMac, it's entirely possible they will.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MarcusSA posted:

IFTTT might work.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Apple's leather cases are bottom-grade leather that's not even a real grade of leather, it's just leather that's not good enough to get a grade.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And this matters because?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

xzzy posted:

And this matters because?

Why does the quality of the material in a product that claims to be premium matter?

edit: Honestly, I suppose it doesn't, in a world where people think that the premium phone that the case protects needs to be replaced every year. :sigh:

Luceo fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 10, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think they call it "premium," but even if they do it's a perfectly serviceable case that will last years without any issue. You'll be throwing the phone out before the case stops functioning as a case.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Well, by virtue of being an Apple product, it claims to be premium. But beyond that, I concede the point.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Luceo posted:

Well, by virtue of being an Apple product, it claims to be premium. But beyond that, I concede the point.

yeah, it's premium because they charge a premium for it

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Luceo posted:

Apple's leather cases are bottom-grade leather that's not even a real grade of leather, it's just leather that's not good enough to get a grade.

Is it the skin of a dead cow or not?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Luceo posted:

No leather has grades because there's no such thing as leather grades. Full-grain, split-grain, etc. are *types* of leathers, but not grades.

But yes, they are using some thin, assy corrected grain that's glued to a piece of plastic.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Loucks posted:

Flat edges are one of the reasons I still haven’t given up my original SE. Given the design of the new one I don’t think they’re ever coming back.

The iPhone 12 or whatever it’s called is rumored to have flat edges.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I really hope that’s true. I considered both the 11 Pro and the new SE and ultimately decided not to bother. I’d buy a non-huge 12 series immediately if it had flat edges.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I'm an odd duckling with the leather cases. I like them too much, but I also have a small handful of whoopsie daisy accidents in a given year and drop my phone a couple feet down onto concrete and asphalt. This tends to deeply permanently gouge the case which looks and feels bad, but I get a new one when I replace the phone :v: one time I replaced the case before the phone because it was so gouged.

The form factor is never the same anyway.

drat the leather cases are perfect though. I know you all like Saddle Brown but try Black sometime. It's a game changer.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Inner Light posted:

I'm an odd duckling with the leather cases. I like them too much, but I also have a small handful of whoopsie daisy accidents in a given year and drop my phone a couple feet down onto concrete and asphalt. This tends to deeply permanently gouge the case which looks and feels bad, but I get a new one when I replace the phone :v: one time I replaced the case before the phone because it was so gouged.

did it protect the screen?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Inner Light posted:

The form factor is never the same anyway.

drat the leather cases are perfect though. I know you all like Saddle Brown but try Black sometime. It's a game changer.

In a perfect world I'd prefer Apple's silicone cases, but the way they age ruins them. The leather ones settle into a perfect amount of grippiness and are pleasant to hold. The silicone ones start out feeling nice and also have perfect grippiness, but as they age it gets even more grippy and dust seems to get glued to it. Eventually the silicone wears off and exposes the ugly plastic underneath.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ain't no SE2 compatible saddle brown leather case, at least on apple.com. (also i thought they were a bit cheaper. $50 is quite a bit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Rinkles posted:

did it protect the screen?

Yes!! It's landed face up and face down (this has happened maybe 5 or so times hard onto concrete or asphalt, the most common cause is me being distracted while putting it in my pocket and missing, or my arm is swinging and my phone catches on my jeans..), zero screen damage so far without any protector.

My lifestyle is pretty boring though, if I was a lot more active or around hazardous places I may have a more protective case.

I'm in general not very clumsy but I use my phone a lot so it's bound to fall a few times, unless you're really skilled at being protective.

Rinkles posted:

Ain't no SE2 compatible saddle brown leather case, at least on apple.com. (also i thought they were a bit cheaper. $50 is quite a bit)

Yes I felt extremely stupid paying $50 for a case -- but it was worth it IMHO. Hugely overpriced and gigantic industry leading profit margins nonetheless.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 11, 2020