Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Sep. 03, 1939)

MOUNTAINEER

Julet Esqu posted:

Oh no Mr. Boop :ohdear:

The Luann artists/colorists are feeling lazy again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Here are some pictures from John Allison's Twitter and Instagram

The opening character spread for the 10th Bad Machinery book:

and a redrawn final panel for said book (which originally just said "The End")

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

How Wonderful! posted:

It's also really nice to have another comic by a trans cartoonist in here!

Anyway:
Dykes to Watch Out For #74 (1990)

It's strange to see all these events which were so riveting at the time reduced to, basically, footnotes. It's generally assumed that Bush's more or less trumped-up charges against Noriega (Bush himself had been involved in smuggling drugs to the US in Iran-Contra so he was being one hell of a hypocrite) were an attempt to boost his approval and win re-election, a la Reagan after Granada and especially Thatcher after the Falklands War. It didn't work, and he presumably did it again with Gulf War I, and still managed to lose. He *was* wildly popular for a while, but it faded fast.

Another appearance of "Mean Mo", taking a potshot at Lois (she's repeatedly disapproved of Lois' nonmonogamy, and this relationship in particular). There's still a punchline early on the second page ("would Bush have invaded Panama") but I think the main punchline is the smothering at the end.

curtadams fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 11, 2020

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (December 31, 1932)

Peanuts (June 12, 1973)

Mason Jarre Making It Weird

Crankshaft

9 Mr. Boop Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 9, 1937)

Out Our Way (August 2-4, 1934)

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

fasttrack: that's something you say about someone you love, and care about, not your loving abusive boss

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 12/30/53

They'll Do It Every Time 12/28/46

Mopsy 1/7/43

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EAT YOUR MILK!! Elvis is so proud of her, I love it

YeahTubaMike posted:

Amos is the Gary Stu-est character I've ever seen, fanfiction or not.

Evil Mastermind posted:

More-so than Guy Gilchrist's changing Phil Fumble from a three-foot tall joke character to a flawless person with the build of a linebacker and Aunt Fritzi's one true love?

It's a tight race, but I'm gonna say Amos is worse, just because 9CL is the worst. He's everything wrong about Phil Fumble, but 10 times worse, plus whole other dimensions of terrible, terrible things: the pretension, the teeth, the :words: the storylines, those goddamn Dutch angles, the nonstop loving

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Angular Cyrus posted:

Mopsy 1/7/43

:drat:

But also lol that that was a comically fat man in 1943

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

The Bloop posted:

:drat:

But also lol that that was a comically fat man in 1943

and NOBODY likes a Fat Man!

Edit: Wait, this was a 1943 strip, and Mopsy had made jokes about gas rationing before.
My initial take was that she meant that literally. Not a fat joke.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Phil Fumble basically turned into a hunkier Archie Andrews.

Re: "fat man" -- I watched an episode of Kolchak: The Night Stalker which featured a "fat" woman along with the usual jokes about her eating all the cake and so on. The only way I could tell she was the "fat" one was everyone kept telling her she was. (she probably had a 28-inch waist instead of 25 inches) Does anyone else remember this?

Kolchak would definitely have been sniffing around Gary's neighbourhood:

Scary Gary

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

This is complete bullshit. That dog was trapped inside a moving truck for a day. It's probably in a different city by now. There's no way it can find a familiar scent to track down, much less make its way back to Rex's cabin on foot.

riderchop posted:

Got a new comic today!

Rae the Doe is another comic that started on twitter and recently started being hosted on Comics Kingdom! Looks like it's doing the "starting over fresh for the new audience thing" so I'm posting the comics that've been published so far (just since Monday). The pitch is Rae is gay and a deer. That's it.

This looks cute, so thanks for posting it!

Evil Mastermind posted:

More-so than Guy Gilchrist's changing Phil Fumble from a three-foot tall joke character to a flawless person with the build of a linebacker and Aunt Fritzi's one true love?

I'd say Amos is way more of a Gary Stu than Phil. We've seen Amos start as a snotty 6-year old (or maybe even a baby, if that dire period in 9CL is to go by) and end up marrying his childhood friend. From there, it's been a stream of constant loving until Edda got pregnant, and even then it's just an excuse to fetishize pregnancy. And after that it's back to loving again.

As weird and stalker-y as this is, Mason's at least trying to find some way to have something interesting happen in the Cancerwife movie. If they just adapted what Les wrote then it's just gonna be a depressing movie about the husband's man pain over his wife slowly dying from cancer.

Does Holbrook seriously expect us to like this mom for selling out her own kid?

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

Put the mask on before you go out of your house, you stupid fucks. :argh: gently caress Holbrook for treating the pandemic so glibly in his comics.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

amigolupus posted:

Put the mask on before you go out of your house, you stupid fucks. :argh: gently caress Holbrook for treating the pandemic so glibly in his comics.

They were worried that their tenant had been killed in a cave-in.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/10/00

Johnny Walker posted:

Is that a neck brace?

Yes, it is. THE Christopher Trauerts comes with a dramatic backstory:

Brenda Starr 4/27/41

"Hmm... I've never seen him and that masked vigilante, Neckman, together."

Smokey Stover 12/1/35

This is another one that got washed out a bit. "When you have a blowout, invite us to your flat" is a pretty nice double-barrelled pun, though.

Bonus headline!

Selachian fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 11, 2020

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Corto Maltese: CortoxRaspa OTPTOTPPTTOTPT, or Corto and Raspa split ways for now..., or And it's Dick Dastardly following at the rear...

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Man in Black

"Thumb in the middle of the palm" = Clumsy person
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/peukalo_keskell%C3%A4_k%C3%A4mment%C3%A4

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Prostitutes will sometimes shake your hand with the thumb in their palm and then stroke you as as sign that they're available. Happened to me when I visited Cuba with my parents. I was 13, lol.
That carpenter is clearly DTF.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (October 29, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (October 29, 1998)

Garfield Classic (October 29, 1988)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I saw the middle panel of that Breaking Cat News before the first, and I was VERY surprised.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Have a couple of Fingerporis, won't you?

Maybe someone who can read musical notation better can weigh in here, but that note isn't anything close to F, is it?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 11, 2020

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Zip

Dick

Duck

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

"At this point, I'm an ugly bootlicking piece of poo poo. :) "

Angular Cyrus posted:

Mopsy 1/7/43

I love Mopsy so much.

Also, it's actually impressive how dated Boondocks is at every single turn. I never liked it, but now it looks like it should be in a museum.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Der Shovel posted:

Have a couple of Fingerporis, won't you?

Maybe someone who can read musical notation better can weigh in here, but that note isn't anything close to F, is it?
I think she either played an E or a G, depending on whether that's a bass or treble clef.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 25, 2022

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mr. Boop

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

JESUS I CAN'T TAKE THAT MUCH SUSPENSE

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Properly introducing Sari Syrjänen. She will be an important character for rest of the series.

sitnalisa
Dec 16, 2004

stupid virgin

Safety Dance posted:

I think she either played an E or a G, depending on whether that's a bass or treble clef.

If it's in the alto clef it is actually an F.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Man with Safe Havens or whichever comic it is, it's like they sent along maybe 2 qualified people and the rest are literally just her friends who didn't have anything else to do. I mean I knew that already but it's like..your job is to...be the agent for everyone's deals you presume they're going to get? That's presumptuous and asinine. Why did you bring along the mermaid and the trapeze guy again?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Oct 31, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Sept 12-13, 1987)

Robbie and Bobby

(Feb 29, 2016)

(May 24, 2020)

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

She's playing the cello, so it would be a bass clef.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's a bad day when somebody else pees your pants.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

gleebster posted:

She's playing the cello, so it would be a bass clef.

Most times.
Sometimes cello is written in treble clef and sometimes in alto clef.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zelda

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I forget if Zelda is supposed to be bi, or if she's just being a mega rear end in a top hat?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

This one I get. Should I be glad that I'm now being exploited to make money just like straight people?
Should I be excited that Cyberpunk 2077 includes transwoman models with visible crotch bulges in their hyper-capitalistic future advertising?
Is it sad that I am actually happy about it?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Don’t think she’s ever been portrayed as anything but hetero. But you should always bet on her being an rear end in a top hat, because she usually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yeah, it's funny to me because there are numerous DtWOF strips where Mo is making the exact same argument, and I think it lands better because for one thing Mo as a lesbian has stakes in this issue, and for another there are usually a few other characters on hand to functionally say "shut the gently caress up Mo," which allows Bechdel to make the useful point without committing to didacticism.

If a straight person pulled that poo poo on me I'd be like don't you have 80,000 NBC sitcoms you could be relating to right now, get out of my face. Don't get me wrong, I like Zelda most of the time and I think Zelda is absolutely supposed to be that gal but sheesh. Sheesh.