Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Guys Ive got bad news about Nikoomba....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Hot take: C&C 4 plot fit perfectly with the previous games in that Kane was just trying to go home.

C&C 5 should be Kane comes back to earth except its actually a good game.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Dandywalken posted:

Guys Ive got bad news about Nikoomba....

Hes a very bad man

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Spookydonut posted:

Hot take: C&C 4 plot fit perfectly with the previous games in that Kane was just trying to go home.

C&C 5 should be Kane comes back to earth except its actually a good game.

Well, that Scrin Invasion Armada is still meant to be showing up.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hes a very bad man

Actually he opposed Nod therefore a good man?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Sheen Sheen posted:

I would take a Generals sequel. Or a Tiberium sequel. Or a Red Alert sequel. Hell, I would take any new RTS game with a fun single player campaign at this point, I think C&C3 was the last time I played one
Act of War: Direct Action is the closest thing I can think of to Generals-like gameplay and setting (sort of Clancy-esque I guess) with a more traditional C&C type format, including live-action cutscenes.

It's still definitely its own thing though, and it has some annoying compatibility issues on modern systems, not sure if they were ever patched or if workarounds exist. Last time I tried running it, it crashed due to an integer overflow bug where it thinks you don't have enough VRAM if you have too much VRAM.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

drunkill posted:

Actually he opposed Nod therefore a good man?

check out this fuckin gdi scumbag

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
C&C5 should be a prequel about how NOD came to be pre-Red Alert. That'd be interesting.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

axeil posted:

C&C5 should be a prequel about how NOD came to be pre-Red Alert. That'd be interesting.

Kane

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Are there any blooper videos? I'm just unlocking greenscreen takes thus far.

drepimetheus
Aug 10, 2018
In original Red Alert 1, you could force attack your Grenadiers to attack the ground nearby and then change targets while they performed their animation. The effect was that you could lob grenades a full screen away. I've been trying to recreate that to no success.

I suspect you can't have Cruisers and Transports move in Formation at hyper speed now, too. Damned shame.

That said, this is still a beautiful remaster. I downloaded some kinda shady programs over the years trying to recreate the RA1 experience, to no avail. This is something I've waited a long time for, and it's absolutely worth it. RA1 is a game from the earliest stages of RTS trailblazing, it's rough. Putting units into Transports reminds me of Brood War micro. It's cloggy and sloggy.

But this is such a good remaster. I haven't even launched C&C original yet, but I anticipate it being just as kickass.

If you're on the fence about getting this, I lovingly nudge you a bit closer to buying this game. It's stupendous.

My next question: Terrans from Starcraft 2 can absolutely go Mech or Bio. This game doesn't seem to reward Infantry play much, except for some Rocket Infantry for mobile anti-air. I welcome insights on compositions for this game. I'm typically a Gold-tier player when I tryhard.

This game is so good. Hope you're all having a good day.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Escape Goat posted:

I’d definitely recommend playing RA3 coop. Ts clearly designed for that. They went overboard with the wacky stuff but it’s still fun for a playthrough with a friend. It helps paper over some of its shortcomings.

RA3 is sort of like the later seasons of the office where a lot of the cleverness is substituted with zany or absurd humour. It just isn’t quite right, the shark has been jumped, but it’s competently made.

Doesn't the online in RA3 not work anymore? I remember trying to play it co-op with some buddies and we couldn't connect to each other.

A shame, because my favorite RTS co-op experiences are from playing the Allies campaign.

axeil posted:

I just want a hammy af RTS with FMVs really. Make it C&C, Generals, or Red Alert - i don't care, just give me something where hammy actors can ham it up while i build up some tanks.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Arrrthritis posted:

Doesn't the online in RA3 not work anymore? I remember trying to play it co-op with some buddies and we couldn't connect to each other.

A shame, because my favorite RTS co-op experiences are from playing the Allies campaign.

Did it never get a de-Gamespy patch? I bet that you could run it LAN mode over Hamachi or something.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
People play RA3 on https://cnc-online.net/en/.

...Not to be confused with https://cncnet.org/ which is where people play RA2.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

drepimetheus posted:

My next question: Terrans from Starcraft 2 can absolutely go Mech or Bio. This game doesn't seem to reward Infantry play much, except for some Rocket Infantry for mobile anti-air. I welcome insights on compositions for this game. I'm typically a Gold-tier player when I tryhard.

This game is so good. Hope you're all having a good day.

You *can* do massed infantry but since tanks can crush them fairly easily most people don't. C&C/RA were the 3rd/4th RTS games made *ever* so things hadn't gotten as advanced as Starcraft where the factions have multiple styles. Hell, the factions aren't even really properly balanced for multiplayer like we would think of today.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Massed infantry is a lot of fun. Don’t use any micro whatsoever, just send em into the meat grinder and watch them go splat. If I’m feeling a little spicy I’ll send a wave of attack dogs instead.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Spookydonut posted:

The previous games implying (with varying degrees of winking and nudging) that Kane was Space Jesus is a lot more interesting than 4 straight up making him actually Space Jesus. Also everything about the eye implant thing was unfathomably stupid. The broad strokes of what 4's story wanted to do were okay but the details were all very, very bad. It didn't help that 4's writers didn't seem to understand the tone of the series as a whole and seemingly tried to play the whole thing completely straight.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

axeil posted:

You *can* do massed infantry but since tanks can crush them fairly easily most people don't. C&C/RA were the 3rd/4th RTS games made *ever* so things hadn't gotten as advanced as Starcraft where the factions have multiple styles. Hell, the factions aren't even really properly balanced for multiplayer like we would think of today.

I looked up the rocket soldier and the Allied medium tank stats. Interestingly, the rocket soldier's ground attack does 35 dmg vs the tank's 30, and the rocket soldier has a very slightly longer range than the tank. They both have the same cooldown ("50", which I assume is some sort of internal ticker), but the soldier has 45 hp while the tank has 300. For the $800 price of one medium tank, you could buy 2.6 rocket soldiers, which would give you a total of ~93dmg and 117hp--greater damage output, but less than half the health.

I'm not actually a very good Red Alert player, though, so whether or not mass rocket soldiery can be an effective strategy, I don't know.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Pham Nuwen posted:

I looked up the rocket soldier and the Allied medium tank stats. Interestingly, the rocket soldier's ground attack does 35 dmg vs the tank's 30, and the rocket soldier has a very slightly longer range than the tank. They both have the same cooldown ("50", which I assume is some sort of internal ticker), but the soldier has 45 hp while the tank has 300. For the $800 price of one medium tank, you could buy 2.6 rocket soldiers, which would give you a total of ~93dmg and 117hp--greater damage output, but less than half the health.

I'm not actually a very good Red Alert player, though, so whether or not mass rocket soldiery can be an effective strategy, I don't know.

hahahaha infantry goes squish

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, the infantry stat factoid that's all too easily overlooked when you only consider numbers is "less than half the health" is actually more like "there's still some hair stuck to my tracks".

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
If you factor in the micromanaging of having to move the infantry to avoid being squished versus the tank player using attack move, the tank can keep firing but the infantry have to stop moving to shoot.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The first Allied mission makes one hell of an impression, in that it's immediately way more "advanced" than anything in the entire GDI campaign.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I am surprisingly terrible at these games because I have like a decade of playing modern RTS where I go for the min/maxy minimal effective unit approach with repair/healing and all that so I have zero ability to estimate how much I’ll need to feed the grinder.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It is pretty funny when you micro a few infantry well enough to take out some of an opponent's tanks but it takes so much concentration that you'll probably get owned somewhere else while doing it

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Spookydonut posted:

hahahaha infantry goes squish

yeah that's why I just build tanks

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Finally completed the nod campaign, something I never managed to do as a kid. What a loving frustrating experience. Gave up on the nod mission with two squads separated by a river with a gunboat patrolling it and set everything to easy, which is VERY VERY easy.

GDI having gently caress You airstrikes, the precarity of the economy, and the cheating AI constantly spamming attacks combined with a gunboat that could just indiscriminately shell my base was too much. The mission design in these first games just doesn't age well at all. That being said, excited to see where this all goes and if there will be more remasters. Was never that interested in Red Alert setting wise but I'll give playing through it a shot.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Someone should totally do the meme picture with "Infantry goes squish."

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Mordja posted:

The first Allied mission makes one hell of an impression, in that it's immediately way more "advanced" than anything in the entire GDI campaign.

You could probably do it in TD, You'd be lacking some of the units but overall I think I could make a mission that worked roughly the same. The difference is I wouldn't be able to display the objective message in the chatlog thingy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Wrr posted:

Finally completed the nod campaign, something I never managed to do as a kid. What a loving frustrating experience. Gave up on the nod mission with two squads separated by a river with a gunboat patrolling it and set everything to easy, which is VERY VERY easy.

GDI having gently caress You airstrikes, the precarity of the economy, and the cheating AI constantly spamming attacks combined with a gunboat that could just indiscriminately shell my base was too much. The mission design in these first games just doesn't age well at all. That being said, excited to see where this all goes and if there will be more remasters. Was never that interested in Red Alert setting wise but I'll give playing through it a shot.

A turret is a good distraction for the gunboat. It will eventually kill it too, provided you repair it. Two of them will down the boat even faster.

I will agree with you that airstrikes are super annoying. I think there was a Covert Ops mission or two where they had air strikes and the ion cannon :negative:

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
For the later Nod missions I always built way more obelisks than was necessary, if you build one or two of them close to the water they should take care of the boat

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Tib Dawn console only missions were easier than the Covert Ops missions. Still pretty fun though. That said, there were still two hard ones. Nod mission 61 and the last n64 Nod mission were both quite difficult at the start because they keep pouring tanks into your base and don't really give you a chance to breath. I was surprised at the n64 nod mission since all of them up until that point were really easy.

With everything completed in Tiberian Dawn, it's time for Red Alert! :ussr:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Spookydonut posted:

You could probably do it in TD, You'd be lacking some of the units but overall I think I could make a mission that worked roughly the same. The difference is I wouldn't be able to display the objective message in the chatlog thingy.

Maybe, but they didn't. The mission design in the GDI campaign pretty much all boiled down to "kill all enemies on the map, sometimes with a gimmick" which I'd definitely forgotten was the case. In the first three Allied missions alone you're knocking out a power grid to rescue Einstein, clearing a route for a convoy under a time limit and blowing a sequence of bridges. It just feels more modern.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Red Alert was definitely a huge step up when it came to more varied and interesting missions.
In so many ways Red Alert was an amazing sequel. It was the difficult second album done right.

I'm on the last GDI campaign. Currently I am playing each mission on Hard (with a mod to rebalance the units for Hard) until I complete it.

Then I activate the Godmode Mod for replaying the mission on the map variants to get those done on Hard. Because no way in Hell (March) am I going to do the last mission three times legit.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 11, 2020

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

A turret is a good distraction for the gunboat. It will eventually kill it too, provided you repair it. Two of them will down the boat even faster.

The best distraction for a gunboat is any unit you can move out of range after the boat starts shooting at it. Gunboats never change their target until it dies, even after other units start shooting at it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
C&C 3 just went on sale for 50% off on Steam in case anyone wants to snag a copy.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've tried Soviet Mission 5 3 times now and the trigger for the allied MCV fleeing never works, it just dances in the base and doesn't move.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Nah I played it when it first came out way back when and I don't recall it being significantly harder now. For some reason I thought singleplayer remained unchanged but hell I can't remember

I just got it installed. It's v1.09 by default so it's the gimped version you get on Origin.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Spookydonut posted:

If you factor in the micromanaging of having to move the infantry to avoid being squished versus the tank player using attack move, the tank can keep firing but the infantry have to stop moving to shoot.
In theory you could do it from behind heavier vehicles to prevent them from being crushed, but then you're getting dragged down by their glacial move speed.

There are also major cost effectiveness imbalance problems throughout the series, and rocket troops are one of the worst offenders. I think infantry have mostly the same stats as C&C1, where even in the worst-case scenario where Minigunners do 1/4 their normal damage to a heavy armor, they shoot faster and cost a third as much, so even if you for some reason think that sending squishable infantry against tanks is a good idea, you're better off using minigunners.

The basic tank is nearly always the thing you want to be building.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You can fit five rocket guys to one square but only one tank so they are more space efficient. One big unfortunate drawback with that however. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I wish there was a way to poop out infantry from more than one barracks at a time so I could cover the map in endless streams of dudes, Zerg style.