Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Anyone else get the feeling that both the GOP leadership and the Alt Right grift machine having been using this string of disasters to abandon Trump because they see the writing on the wall vis a vis the election and have just been waiting for the moment where he gives them a credible excuse so they can keep as much of the machine intact as they can when he burns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SocketWrench posted:

Red bar, white field. It's half the banner

Who knows, she claims the red bars are to be symbolic of both sides of the political spectrum (paraphrasing). Maybe she saw that flag and it's one bar on one side and that's where she got the idea?

Either way I think you're choosing to take that single element and ignore the rest.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Forcing white people to confront their privilege and social media ruining their lives when they turn out to be racist pieces of poo poo is the best thing. It makes me so happy. Almost as happy as statues of racist traitor scum getting defaced and destroyed.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Fritz the Horse posted:

FWIW this is authentic Lakota drumsong except usually they'd have a bigass drum that goes WOMP WOMP WOMP womp WOMP womp WOMP womp WOMP and rattles you to your very bones. Except that's not very protest-portable.

Plains Indian drumsong combines haunting high-pitched vocal chanting with hard fast drumbeats and it rules.

edit: which is to say these are the real fuckin' deal AIM'd out (as they say on the rez) skins celebrating Columbus eating poo poo

They've been involved literally since the first day afaik. Nice to see them getting some deserved spotlight and it's pretty fuckin cool that even some small steps are being taken to stop celebrating columbus. Frankly I figured that was waaaay farther off.

eggyolk posted:

drat, we were so close to completely wiping out the cultural memory and living embodiments of America's original inhabitants.

hey no one's going to say that we didn't really give it our all

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 11, 2020

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Remember Covid and evictions?

https://twitter.com/emilyabenfer/status/1270899209764573186

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

They've been involved literally since the first day afaik. Nice to see them getting some deserved spotlight and it's pretty fuckin cool that even some small steps are being taken to stop celebrating columbus. Frankly I figured that was waaaay farther off.

Well, the reservations around here decided "gently caress that" to Columbus Day and have celebrated it as Native American Day since I can remember. We also celebrate Presidents Day as Lakota Itancan Anpetu (Lakota Chieftain/Leader Day).

It's a new and very cool thing to extend that to white communities and the state/federal government.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
It looks like in addition to Trump, SPD is spinning up the rhetoric regarding the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone. This has all the markings of something really nasty.
https://komonews.com/news/local/police-make-allegations-of-intimidation-extortion-inside-capitol-hills-autonomous-zone

komonews posted:

Police make allegations of intimidation, extortion inside Capitol Hill's Autonomous Zone

It was an unusual sight.

Seattle Fire Chief Harold Scoggins working with people occupying the streets to close two large rolling metal gates that lead into the garage of the East Precinct. Scoggins dressed in his normal chief attire, hands greasy from trying to fix the gate is alone.

The Seattle Police Department had abandoned the East Precinct two days earlier after getting receiving threats there would be attempts to burn it down.

There no police officers around. There are no other firemen or city personal with Scoggins.

“I was walking though, and someone pointed out to me that the gates were not closed," Scoggins said. “They were jammed, the chains were not working, and I just wanted to secure the building”.

He was in the center of what’s now being called the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone, CHAZ for short, name by the people who occupy it.

It extends outward two blocks in each direction surrounding the abandoned precinct with barricades preventing some vehicle traffic from entering the area. The Chief was there to make sure his department had access in case there was a fire.

I told him that I thought it was unusual that a fire chief was trying to secure a police precinct by himself while being surrounded by hundreds of people occupying the streets who have shown a disdain for police.

“Well, we got a team, we are working through this and there is some trust built and I don't want to compromise the trust," Scoggins said referring the protesters who are occupying the CHAZ.

It’s a dance of trust being played out in a six square block area that occupiers have taken over with people at checkpoints asking those entering what the purpose of their visit is all about.

“You look around its peaceful everyone is chill," said Raz Simone, who some have told me is one of the leaders in what many said is a ‘leaderless’ group of protestors.

KOMO

And that lack of an organized leadership is hampering efforts to bring back some normalcy to the area and have officers return to the precinct said Deanna Nolette, Seattle Assistant Police Chief.

Nolette said her department and other city departments are trying to find the leaders of the CHAZ to negotiate a roadmap for the area’s immediate future.

She said police are receiving reports of armed people manning the check points intimidating people trying to enter.

“While Washington is an open carry state, there is no legal right for those arms to be used intimidate community members," Nolette said.

Nolette said operating a citizen checkpoint on a public street is illegal.

“We have heard anecdotally of citizens and businesses being asked to pay a fee to operate within this area, this is crime of extortion," Nolette said.

Simone snickered when we told him what the assistant chief had said.

“Definitely no extortion, definitely nothing of that," Simone said. “We’ve invited people to come in."

During our six-hour afternoon visit, we did not see any examples of what police are talking about but that doesn’t mean it’s not happening.

Simone did agree with police on the lack of an organized leadership of the group.

“Everyone is stepping up and being a leader and taking the initiative and not being complacent and watching out for each other” says Simone.

But what’s happening on Capitol Hill is have an effect city wide.

“Right now, we are on priority calls only, which means the people, city wide who need a police response are not receiving it," Nolette said. "That to us is just not acceptable”.

The Assistant Chief was ushered away by her staff and did not answer questions as to why that’s the case.

Neither SPD or occupiers we spoke with indicated there was an end to the CHAZ soon.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

I'm sure they'll treat the CHAZ with the same deference and patience that the Bundy compound was treated with.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I'm so glad the California judiciary more or less invoked shenanigans and said that the eviction moratorium will keep going once it became obvious the legislature wasn't gonna be able to get one passed before it expired.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Fritz the Horse posted:

Well, the reservations around here decided "gently caress that" to Columbus Day and have celebrated it as Native American Day since I can remember. We also celebrate Presidents Day as Lakota Itancan Anpetu (Lakota Chieftain/Leader Day).

It's a new and very cool thing to extend that to white communities and the state/federal government.

yeah , I mean that I really, really didn't expect it to start going meaningfully mainstream this quickly. The US has has clung to columbus' legacy with an absolute death grip

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

A no go zone for nazi fuckbouis like gorilla cum drinking cernovich maybe, gently caress that nazi piece of poo poo

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/JamaalBowmanNY/status/1270871019344015360

New York incumbent congressman gets absolutely bodied. I don't know anything about this race but that is a hell of a response. Read the whole thread, if this debate was a boxing match the ref would have stepped in to end it.

Not sure what the CHAZ people hope to accomplish, does anyone know?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

Anyone else get the feeling that both the GOP leadership and the Alt Right grift machine having been using this string of disasters to abandon Trump because they see the writing on the wall vis a vis the election and have just been waiting for the moment where he gives them a credible excuse so they can keep as much of the machine intact as they can when he burns?

That will depend entirely on polling, but you can expect a night v. day scenario if he loses re-election

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Sanguinia posted:

There's definitely been a big chunk of them who have been hoping for a line on just that since Day One, so it's not surprising that some might be trying to position themselves to truly turn on him if/when we get so far into the Cool Zone we can't even see the horizon anymore. My guess, though, is that unless things really do go right off the rails in an unprecedented (for America) way they'll mostly hang on until Election Day. If he wins again, great, the grift continues for another few years let the good times roll. If he loses, then it's a race to distance themselves from his administration and say "We never really liked/supported him to begin with" and rewriting history. Of course there will also be the absolute chuds who never say die and will probably force at least some number of state and federal representatives to proclaim their undying loyalty to Trump anyway, and who knows how things go for them after that.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

How could I forget?

The whole situation is making my heart ache for the unimaginably large number of people about to get evicted within the next few months.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Arglebargle III posted:

https://twitter.com/JamaalBowmanNY/status/1270871019344015360

New York incumbent congressman gets absolutely bodied. I don't know anything about this race but that is a hell of a response. Read the whole thread, if this debate was a boxing match the ref would have stepped in to end it.

Not sure what the CHAZ people hope to accomplish, does anyone know?

They actually managed to put out a list of demands today

Edit: Found it
https://mobile.twitter.com/grimkim/status/1270724643809185803

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

yeah , I mean that I really, really didn't expect it to start going meaningfully mainstream this quickly. The US has has clung to columbus' legacy with an absolute death grip

a good chunk of my students took a leave of absence from college to go to the pipeline protests and they are super fuckin' energized now.

it's so goddamn hearwarming.

chante waste

glad/good heart

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I'll repost the AIHEC statement of solidarity because it rules

quote:

The nation’s American Indian and Alaska Native Tribal Colleges and Universities (TCUs), which are the American Indian
Higher Education Consortium (AIHEC), stand, kneel, pray, and act with our Black brothers and sisters and all who are
oppressed and have felt the dehumanizing impact of racism, invisibility and hate. We send our condolences and prayers
to the families of Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and George Floyd and all the families whose loved ones are
unnamed. We share your fight and your burden. We will not rest until together, we overcome the systemic, generational
and unending brutality practiced against people of color under the authority of those who are sworn to serve and protect.
It is a sad truth that sanctioned disrespect and brutality occur daily in communities of color, yet too often go unreported. It
has been happening for more than 500 years - since Columbus and his crew sailed across an ocean and captured,
enslaved and murdered Indigenous people so that he could claim their land for his queen. Whether today’s victims are
“merciless Indian savages” - as we are described in the Declaration of Independence (the same document that declares
“all men are created equal”), or Breonna Taylor asleep in her bed, Ahmaud Arbery jogging down a street, or George
Floyd lying on the ground under a police officer’s knee, the root cause is the same: the systemic, generational inability to
recognize the humanity of others, brought to this land by the first immigrant-colonizers and enshrined in this nation’s
founding documents.
Racism runs deep and wide across this land, like blood coursing through veins, beating to a drum - the heartbeat of
hatred, living in the very document mayors, governors, generals, mothers, fathers, you and I cite as our national ideal,
our collective aspiration: “that all men are created equal.”
Yet today’s protesters and peacemakers give us hope: they are redefining that phrase of division and hate – their actions
are a sustained shout from the mountaintop that the people of this nation have the faith and grace to believe that every
human being is born with certain rights – that Black lives matter.
As Tribal Colleges, we lift our voices. We commit to taking up the charge issued to us by the Honorable John Lewis, “It’s
time to make some good trouble – necessary trouble.” It is time for all to stand and kneel and raise our fists in unity and
equality; to review our own law enforcement training programs and practices (to share or to change), to work to ensure
the right - and will - to vote in our marginalized communities, to provide forums for people to come together, talk, and
heal; and work toward a new Declaration of Independence and Equality – to do all that is needed to build a just world - a
world in which our future generations are able to breathe.

http://www.aihec.org/who-we-are/docs/BlackLivesMatter_AIHEC.Statement5Jun2020.pdf

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

I take it the boxing ring to the right is for you to beat the poo poo out of your landlord.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Sanguinia posted:

This has been going on on-and-off since his presidency started. Some right-wing figure starts criticizing Trump, they either get cast out or fall back in line the second Trump does something they like again, not once actually challenging him meaningfully either way.

I wouldn't hold my breath for any mass defections until after the election.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

Ooof well they're not getting that. They might get bits and pieces like abolishing private prisons or disbanding the SPD, but canceling cop pensions opens the city to massive civil suits and it literally cannot expel federal agents like they are demanding. And their demands for the feds will just be ignored.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

Ooof well they're not getting that. They might get bits and pieces like abolishing private prisons or disbanding the SPD, but canceling cop pensions opens the city to massive civil suits and it literally cannot expel federal agents like they are demanding. And their demands for the feds will just be ignored.

The police stuff is all quite reasonable once you're operating from the perspective that the criminal justice system was an unjust and needlessly brutal oppressive force. Once that is acknowledged, there's really no choice but to burn that bitch down and rebuild from the ground up. Justice for the victims of that system requires reviewing the specific circumstances of all the people who were on the receiving end of it.

Some of it is certainly, uh, aspirational, but eh it was going to come to this either way and it's going to be a test of whether people are just saying 'black lives matter' to fit in or if they're preferred to see it through to the logical conclusion.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 11, 2020

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Glumslinger posted:

Uh, those are good demands but in no possible way could the city address most of those overnight

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Uh, those are good demands but in no possible way could the city address most of those overnight

thankfully a protest camp is intended to promote both networking internally in a movement and also to serve as a focal point for a longer movement to effect change.

I do think it'll probably get stormed by police or national guard within a few days, but that's not putting the genie back in the bottle.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Arglebargle III posted:

Why should our demands respect the existing racist system?

The system is evil and broken and has been from the very beginning where slavery was legal and accomodated. gently caress it.

I'm not arguing against the specific points in your post, just the broader perspective that we must limit our demands. As a society we're now in the Cool Zone where anything and everything is possible.

Justice cannot be restricted by :decorum:

edit: sorry if I'm ranting a bit. Just coming off a conversation with my boomer parents that was basically "BLM has a good point, BUT..."
there is no BUT

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Hey, at least SOMEONE knows to set the opening bid high, and not to compromise before you even started negotiating.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Having a 30-point set of demands is verging on self-parody. Anarchists sure do love meetings and lists.

necroid
May 14, 2009

uhhh

what the gently caress

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think like most demands you aim high so that negotiations can bring them down to a lower but still good level.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1270944133465530369

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Arglebargle III posted:

Having a 30-point set of demands is verging on self-parody. Anarchists sure do love meetings and lists.

The funniest thing about reall anarchists is how much paperwork and bureaucracy it requires

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

It's not dumb, it's evil. There's an extremely important difference. He's trying to pre-emptively justify using a lot more violence.
And you know how OANN teed up a batshit conspiracy theory for Trump to notice and repeat? Between now and November expect to see that for literally every issue that gains any traction with the public. Not necessarily just from OANN, but from all the fringe media outlets, twitter bots, astroturfed poo poo posing as local/regional political groups, and so on. This kind of poo poo was already rampant in 2016 and the conditions were way the gently caress less ideal for that kind of operation than they are now.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

calling people who are demanding huge government investment into their community anarchists I think is missing several key points both of their demands and of what anarchists are

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Charliegrs posted:

I think like most demands you aim high so that negotiations can bring them down to a lower but still good level.

I'm talking about the person who tweeted the article with "Most of these could be easily done tonight"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Fritz the Horse posted:

Why should our demands respect the existing racist system?

The system is evil and broken and has been from the very beginning where slavery was legal and accomodated. gently caress it.

I'm not arguing against the specific points in your post, just the broader perspective that we must limit our demands. As a society we're now in the Cool Zone where anything and everything is possible.

Justice cannot be restricted by :decorum:

edit: sorry if I'm ranting a bit. Just coming off a conversation with my boomer parents that was basically "BLM has a good point, BUT..."
there is no BUT

I agree fully with this. Now it may turn out that, pragmatically, the best way to get what we need is to leave pensions alone or whatever, and if so, fine, I'll pay the police $100 to gently caress off, but we should definitely start out with that demand included

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
People need to start saying the full Antifascist or Antifash, get's the point across and makes it harder for people to make antifa a boogeymen.

Plus I just hate the way antifa sounds when spoken.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Arglebargle III posted:

What about it verges on self parody?

Or to put it another way, assuming the core principles are the same, how much of this list could you remove without losing the actual material changes being demanded?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No it's more fun to be a boogeyman

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Trumps approval rating finally matches his golf score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

https://twitter.com/13angelovargas/status/1270869291940884483?s=21

https://twitter.com/13angelovargas/status/1270889754133966850?s=21

What started out as mass defacement of the Confederate memorial in Portsmouth, Virginia turned into a celebration that at one point included a marching band but ended when one of the life sized Confederate soldiers was pulled down... right onto the head of a protester below.

Dude’s now in the hospital in critical condition.