Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Pahilla the Hun posted:

thank you and, i want you to know before i get banned again, your av kicks so much rear end

i figured out what happened and while it's not an excuse, i posted that thread from my phone

i just wish i could convey exactly how many times i have seen goons in my own predicament, and lmbo'd because DUH it's right there...wait, this is karma.

you know what, gently caress it. lowtax i OWE you. thanks for decades of comedy and for making this....place...a place where we can all just be.

on a serious note, friend of mine says (after i show him a super badass HP p'shop thread) "what's the difference between this place and reddit /imgur??!???"

my reply? tenbux filters out the bullshit

now i know it's more. much, much more. but fuckin WORTH it. also maybe i'm the bullshit...

i will say one more stupid thing, in this *hopefully* open byob chat: i love you guys and have lurked so hard and long you just don't even know

thank you and go make some art

:cry: welcome home brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

Pahilla the Hun posted:

thank you and, i want you to know before i get banned again, your av kicks so much rear end

i figured out what happened and while it's not an excuse, i posted that thread from my phone

i just wish i could convey exactly how many times i have seen goons in my own predicament, and lmbo'd because DUH it's right there...wait, this is karma.

you know what, gently caress it. lowtax i OWE you. thanks for decades of comedy and for making this....place...a place where we can all just be.

on a serious note, friend of mine says (after i show him a super badass HP p'shop thread) "what's the difference between this place and reddit /imgur??!???"

now i know it's more. much, much more. but fuckin WORTH it. also maybe i'm the bullshit...

i will say one more stupid thing, in this *hopefully* open byob chat: i love you guys and have lurked so hard and long you just don't even know

love to see it :3:

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Pahilla the Hun

Thinking about making a post

Think about it, make a post

prepuce repurposed posted:

:cry: welcome home brother

i love you and my 11 year old busted out some old pokemon cards today so we could play--i wanted to cast prepuce repurposed

thanks nesamdoom!!

pizzaz plarpin perfect! thanks Tebulot!

Areola Grande

Tell him I said :palmon: :psyduck: :abrathink: :boom:

OKAY GOODNIGHT BYOB

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

City of Glompton

hi pahilla im sorry you had such a strange adventure but im glad you are back!

Ass-penny

I couldn't make a pie to show you, but I certainly didn't want you banned. Hope you are well, pahilla.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Goons Are Gifts

Pahilla the Hun posted:

Ohhh Pahilla my friend!
No worries, you did nothing wrong, you used the "HOT" tag and that will get you autobanned as per radium's code. It is more of a way to ban yourself if you want to do that and here and there we catch innocent souls who don't know the deal behind it and they get autobanned. Jeffrey edited the code on this recently, so that the thread does not automatically gets gassed and instead just closed. I wanted to open it back up with another tag so we can post in it, but I saw you already opened and re-closed it, so before I do that I want to ask if you want me to do that, or do you want to keep it closed?

I can restore your av for free in no time if you want me to do that and if you have a link to the SA URL on it somewhere. The avatar history button only works if you have an av right now. :v:

Either way, you did nothing wrong except using the wrong tags (you can see them again in the left of a new post, on a computer at least) and you will, of course, not be banned or probed again, it's an automated thing not something we mods or admins did.

Goons Are Gifts

Also, you are VERY welcome to make new threads any time! Don't let this mistake make you believe you couldn't post a thread or anything, it's just the tags that are a trap here. Back before Jeff fixed the autoban feature it would re-ban you if you edited or posted in a previously autobanned thread, but this is no longer the case, so there is no way you would get banned again. Except when you post another thread with the three autoban tags, that is :sun:

Goons Are Gifts

Oh you already made a new thread, well here's me being a good mod that actually reads the forum before replying :v:
Alright in that case I'll clean up the other one!

alnilam

owlhawk911 posted:

love to see it :3:

alnilam

Another big difference is that reddit and imgur show posts based on popularity rather than chronology and are therefore much closer to social media, whereas SA is a more classic internet forum, a format that is kind of a dying breed. Comparing SA to reddit or imgur hardly makes sense in a way, it's like comparing a book to a magazine, that's not a great analogy though

Now if you compare SA to other forum-format websites on the internet, the :10bux: thing is probably a part, combined with decent moderation (at least, all the mods other than me are good), and a much less tangible but i think very important factor is the specific kind of comedic culture that SA evolved in / contributed to during the 00s that has continued to inform the posting culture even as it continues to evolve over time

ty manifisto

alnilam

alnilam posted:

Another big difference is that reddit and imgur show posts based on popularity rather than chronology and are therefore much closer to social media, whereas SA is a more classic internet forum, a format that is kind of a dying breed. Comparing SA to reddit or imgur hardly makes sense in a way, it's like comparing a book to a magazine, that's not a great analogy though

Now if you compare SA to other forum-format websites on the internet, the :10bux: thing is probably a part, combined with decent moderation (at least, all the mods other than me are good), and a much less tangible but i think very important factor is the specific kind of comedic culture that SA evolved in / contributed to during the 00s that has continued to inform the posting culture even as it continues to evolve over time

Sir this is a forums drive thru,

ty manifisto

nut

have y’all seen this dance called the floss

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

nut posted:

have y’all seen this dance called the floss

no, what is it about

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Ass-penny

alnilam posted:

are you a bad mod because you don't do enough or are you a great mod because you aren't a loving snitch?

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

nut

I’ve watched a lot of tape and concluded that your core plays the role of the floss and your arms are teeth

nut

Doctor Dogballs posted:

no, what is it about

I think ur thinking of the hokey pokey

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

alnilam posted:

Sir this is a forums drive thru,

I've always wondered how SA looks to a person in 2020 who just stumbles onto it and doesn't have any context. Do our weird avs and offensive usernames seem enticing or off putting? I feel like my own posting journey of being a very active poster in late HS and then college, taking an ~8yr break, and returning after realizing social media is terrible but still wanting to chill on the internet is kind of typical. I was very glad to find SA alive and well. It had changed a little, probably mostly for the better, and in the important ways it hadn't changed a bit.

So thanks to all you posters and mods and admins etc for keeping this place going while I was away!

'....sir?'

'oh, uh, yeah, can I get 2 plat certs and an AV/sig combo with a :10bux: Lowtax spine fund contribution'

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
I am very glad forums fren Pahilla the Hun did not get R U N N O F T!

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Also: Great Mangroves! :coffeepal:

Stooge

I grew up on other internet forums, but never joined SA until a year and a half ago. Part of the reason I joined was nostalgia for old style forums. I really like the sense of humour on SA and I like to think I "get it" but need to lurk more. There are some seriously witty people here. Sometimes I turn up to a thread and I see the posts and I'm like "man, that's a good post, there's no way I can match that".

Also I find trying to come up with dumb jokes/responses to cool scenarios/prompts p fun and relaxing. It's like being in a virtual writers room for some dumb show. Thx BYOB.

Heather Papps

hello friend

it is a gusty mangrove in my neck of the woods

also pahilla, the arc of the autoban realization is a wild one. i've done it twice and both times it was a comedy in 3 acts.

1:hubris; this is a good thread lemme slap that HOT tag on it
2: despair; oh no what rule did i break?
3: laughter; this is funny, to me

when i do the floss i make sure my mouth is filled with water and then i spit straight into the air while flossing and scrubbing my feet on the ground unto a brush. when the water runs out i do some jazz hands and exclaim "i like to call that little numbah complete oral health!"

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

take the moon

by sebmojo
my first posting exp was a wrestling forum lol. there was a goon there and he did the big fish in a small pond thing you can do because your average goon is comedically skilled and yr average normie was not

he told me about sa and i was like,... id rather be here lol

or sleeping etc

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Slush Garbo posted:

Also: Great Mangroves! :coffeepal:

Grape munchies to you! I missed you

nut

Stooge posted:

Also I find trying to come up with dumb jokes/responses to cool scenarios/prompts p fun and relaxing. It's like being in a virtual writers room for some dumb show. Thx BYOB.

it cannot b understated how cool it is 2 show up and :jpmf: without worry. in my spare time, i like writing a lot and have thought of thunderdoming or posting for critique but honestly it's not really what i write for and byob is one of the only places that gets dat

nut

i think my first forums experience was either neopets (where i got banned for saying "poo poo") or a beyblade RP forum, which speaks volumes

alnilam

i definitely have a genuinely accidental autoban on my rap sheet. it happens to the best of us (and also to me :haw:)

Stooge posted:

I grew up on other internet forums, but never joined SA until a year and a half ago. Part of the reason I joined was nostalgia for old style forums. I really like the sense of humour on SA and I like to think I "get it" but need to lurk more. There are some seriously witty people here. Sometimes I turn up to a thread and I see the posts and I'm like "man, that's a good post, there's no way I can match that".

:yeah: :justpost:

ty manifisto

Heather Papps

hello friend

my first true and honest bbs experiance was the sony music system of a down message boards, and though i'd been reading the frontpage of SA for a while at that point being a child i did not have a credit card with which to purchase an account thank goodness.

because my memory is untamed i have never forgotten posting a thread about describing the shoes we were wearing as if we were music critics and it confusing the heck out of most of the boards regulars. i knew then i had yet to find the lilac shores of home.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Areola Grande

nut posted:

I think ur thinking of the hokey pokey

take the moon

by sebmojo
i should type out how i feel about td or somethign maybe it would be therapizing. actually i wont really but like

its not a bad place. its a fun idea. in theory a rotating pool of randos who (when they bother to care) is a dank and somewhat objective way to get crits

i obviously didnt have the personality or whatever cuz im a bit of a creeper. i used to be in contact w/ a somewhat authority figure there but i think thats all gone. ive just been so doped up and whatever lately that im using that as an excuse. anyway i think i can tell from a combo of nasty crits and silent treatments that its no longer a place for me

its not a bad place but ive gotten some nasty crits there & i think theres def a temptation inherent to the system they have that gets you in a "time to show off how witty i am with my brutal takedown crit owns" mood

anyway byob (and fi) and the secret honorary TOXIN CREW discord is kind of where im at rn

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

nut

i think any source of getting to interact with readers is v good for writers. I just don't like the idea of someone reading my dumb stories for the purposes of critiquing. I only send them to friends and family so i like the idea of writing something i think they will like or laugh at. A lot of times i load them up with completely out of nowhere details just to see what friends think my intentions were lol

Dixville

I don't think!
I like thinking about SA and why I like it. It's kind of hard to explain for outsiders but showing them some photoshop threads i find is usually a good start. I first discovered SA when a friend from high school showed it to me, my favorite article was Weekend Web and i actually would sit at my computer :f5: waiting for it to release at like 3 am because they always came out with the new article around the same time every weekend. I loved seeing the worst internet garbage and the commentary on it. I think it taught me to not get caught up in these weird subcultures that came out like my little pony etc.
Anyway then i lurked the forums for several years before buying an account. There used to be some really crazy threads in GBS i tell you what. I also liked LF before it got out of hand.

Pahilla the Hun

Goons Are Great posted:

Ohhh Pahilla my friend!
No worries, you did nothing wrong, you used the "HOT" tag and that will get you autobanned as per radium's code. It is more of a way to ban yourself if you want to do that and here and there we catch innocent souls who don't know the deal behind it and they get autobanned. Jeffrey edited the code on this recently, so that the thread does not automatically gets gassed and instead just closed. I wanted to open it back up with another tag so we can post in it, but I saw you already opened and re-closed it, so before I do that I want to ask if you want me to do that, or do you want to keep it closed?

I can restore your av for free in no time if you want me to do that and if you have a link to the SA URL on it somewhere. The avatar history button only works if you have an av right now. :v:

Either way, you did nothing wrong except using the wrong tags (you can see them again in the left of a new post, on a computer at least) and you will, of course, not be banned or probed again, it's an automated thing not something we mods or admins did.

thanks so much gag, for the explanation and the offer, i still lmao at your new assy av every time...

if there is any way to restore plat, that would be great--i feel like i just finally got the grenade and barely used it to potential

thinkin bout headin to the fluffieduckie thread to make/steal/collab on a new av--i sincerely appreciate it!

thanks nesamdoom!!

Pahilla the Hun

Heather Papps posted:

the arc of the autoban realization is a wild one. i've done it twice and both times it was a comedy in 3 acts.

friend, totally. i actually woke up laughing this morning, just an incredible ride.

thanks nesamdoom!!

Pahilla the Hun

rear end-penny posted:

I couldn't make a pie to show you, but I certainly didn't want you banned. Hope you are well, pahilla.

thank you rear end-penny i remember i started lurking/posting here right about the time you came back and i have been enjoying your posts a lot

if you want you can just draw a pie? idk, i am not really a baker i had to clean out the freezer :discourse:

thanks nesamdoom!!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I first started posting on AOL chat in 1995 and it's been downhill from there.

Goons Are Gifts

Pahilla the Hun posted:

thanks so much gag, for the explanation and the offer, i still lmao at your new assy av every time...

if there is any way to restore plat, that would be great--i feel like i just finally got the grenade and barely used it to potential

thinkin bout headin to the fluffieduckie thread to make/steal/collab on a new av--i sincerely appreciate it!

It's no biggie at all, do you happen to have a throwaway mail account somewhere that you are comfortable with posting here?
I'll send you a bunch of certs I bought for you so you can get back into business!

Pahilla the Hun

Goons Are Great posted:

It's no biggie at all, do you happen to have a throwaway mail account somewhere that you are comfortable with posting here?
I'll send you a bunch of certs I bought for you so you can get back into business!

holy :gb2byob: a thousand times yes and thanks!!!! colddiesel@gmail.com :butts:

thanks nesamdoom!!

FluffieDuckie

Stooge posted:

It's like being in a virtual writers room for some dumb show.

BYOB: It's like being in a virtual writers room for some dumb show.

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton

FluffieDuckie posted:

BYOB: It's like being in a virtual writers room for some dumb show.

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig