Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

on the bored wop posted:

Hey everyone, could I get some advice on rug size/placement? My wife and I picked up this rug today for our living room. What's throwing a wrench in the works is that the wood section of the floor isn't centered on the fireplace; it extends to the left of it a few feet but is flush with the right side of the hearth. We have the rug centered on the fireplace in the photo but that results in an asymmetric amount of visible wood on either side and I can't decide whether that's weird or fine. What we're trying to figure out is if it's better to stick with the rug we've got or if we should go for the next size up (1 foot wider, 2 feet longer) and rotate it 90 degrees. Or are we good either way?

I like ur chairs and fireplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

You mean the late 1920s were awesome in LA.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

on the bored wop posted:

Hey everyone, could I get some advice on rug size/placement? My wife and I picked up this rug today for our living room. What's throwing a wrench in the works is that the wood section of the floor isn't centered on the fireplace; it extends to the left of it a few feet but is flush with the right side of the hearth. We have the rug centered on the fireplace in the photo but that results in an asymmetric amount of visible wood on either side and I can't decide whether that's weird or fine. What we're trying to figure out is if it's better to stick with the rug we've got or if we should go for the next size up (1 foot wider, 2 feet longer) and rotate it 90 degrees. Or are we good either way?

This looks completely fine to me and I'm very specific about geometry.

e: the chairs help a lot in creating the right impression. If they're about as far away from the rug as there's visible wood on the opposite side it'll look completely natural I'm sure.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 11, 2020

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Move the rug three inches away from the fireplace so there's equal space on both sides and see if that looks better (I'd have to see it to make any judgement). Otherwise looks fine.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

on the bored wop posted:

Having those chairs on the excess space works fine to make it balanced. No need to change it up.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's cute, op.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

on the bored wop posted:

Visually this looks nice, but what are you using this space for? The chairs seem to be facing empty space but it's impossible to tell if that makes sense without knowing what the rest of the room looks like. Depending on where you want the chairs to actually be and if there's any other furniture you are planning to put there a bigger rug may make sense or it may not. I'd try the rug size you already have with it rotated 90 degrees and centered within the wood if you haven't already looked at it that way.

ntan1 posted:

Move the rug three inches away from the fireplace so there's equal space on both sides and see if that looks better (I'd have to see it to make any judgement). Otherwise looks fine.

You'd lose having the same amount of wood between the stone and the rug on the two sides that make up the corner closest to the camera which I don't think is worth it (though obviously doesn't hurt to look).

Wallet fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 11, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I agree that it's unclear what the space is being used for and that the chairs are pointed at nothing.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

on the bored wop posted:

tbh, I think the rug would look better against that grey tile than the wood. the wood and the orange skew the orange-yness in a not pleasant way to me.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
OK ill chime in knowing i have no sense of style. I think it's weird if there's a rug with nothing on it, hence I think the chairs should be on it. seems more practical too, as they should slide less.

Anyway, the wood area is rectangular in one direction, the rug is rectangular in the other direction. It seems more sane to rotate the rug 90deg so it is in the same general rectangle of the wood.

Also curious what the space behind it is for, there's no couch inside but there is one oneside?

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Wallet posted:

Visually this looks nice, but what are you using this space for? The chairs seem to be facing empty space but it's impossible to tell if that makes sense without knowing what the rest of the room looks like. Depending on where you want the chairs to actually be and if there's any other furniture you are planning to put there a bigger rug may make sense or it may not.

I'm picturing this as a cozy place to read a book by the fire, maybe have a couple friends sit and chat over drinks. We're going to add a couch to this area later this summer and likely a coffee table to go with it. The couch would either be where the chairs are or directly across from the fireplace. The area on the other side of the room is where we have the dinner table.

Wallet posted:

I'd try the rug size you already have with it rotated 90 degrees and centered within the wood if you haven't already looked at it that way.

The Wild Man of YOLO fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 11, 2020

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

I am a terrible nerd but you can make some good industrial workbench kinda tables from McMaster-Carr. They carey John Boos butcher block workbench tops.

John Boos tops are quality, another option for custom wood tops is Southside Woodshop in Norfolk, VA. They ship nationally, I'm in the midwest and use their tops on projects pretty regularly (I'm in residential construction). They can build glue-up wood tops cheaper than a lot of local woodworkers even with shipping just because it's all they do all day. Their finishes are nice, you can also order them raw.

Key note for the homeowner though - they use square drive screws on their packing crates. I love square drive, but it's something that not every homeowner will have kicking around.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

on the bored wop posted:

I'm picturing this as a cozy place to read a book by the fire, maybe have a couple friends sit and chat over drinks. We're going to add a couch to this area later this summer and likely a coffee table to go with it. The couch would either be where the chairs are or directly across from the fireplace. The area on the other side of the room is where we have the dinner table.

that is a nice looking area. maybe keep the high chair in storage when not in use :p what is that wall style called where it looks like different sized bricks? I've seen that on several houses in my neighborhood.

for the chairs and rug, you could try having the back of the chair on the hard surface, and the front part of the chair on the rug.

i do think that the rug might not be the right one for that area, but that's up to you. I am wondering if you should get one that is bigger though. what is the size of that rug? 9x12?

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

actionjackson posted:

that is a nice looking area. maybe keep the high chair in storage when not in use :p what is that wall style called where it looks like different sized bricks? I've seen that on several houses in my neighborhood.

for the chairs and rug, you could try having the back of the chair on the hard surface, and the front part of the chair on the rug.

i do think that the rug might not be the right one for that area, but that's up to you. I am wondering if you should get one that is bigger though. what is the size of that rug? 9x12?

This one's a 7.5x9.5, with next size up at 8.5x11.5. If the wall style has a name to it then I don't know what it is. I don't feel like folding up the high chair and putting it away multiple times a day so it'll probably be sitting there until the baby outgrows it :baby:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I think if you either had the chairs facing the fireplace, or had either something else like a coffee table on the rug, or another piece of furniture like a sofa to go along with the chairs it'd look better.

You could also switch to a smaller rug and put a coffee table on that.

For example, picture a sofa or loveseat across from where the chairs are now, and then a small rug in between, with a coffee table on that rug.

also I liked how before you had the table between the chairs, and the light was further away from the wall. that way if the person in the further chair wants to use or share the light it's there.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 11, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

this is just a lovely picture from GIS, but you see what I mean about having a smaller rug and table in the middle, and then furniture on the other side or sides. do you have a coffee table and a smaller rug you could try putting there just to see how it would look? I think it would look much less cavernous.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

on the bored wop posted:

That looks much worse than your original setup, which looked absolutely fine.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "mountaintop"
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/131-Dryland-Ln-Glenville-NC-28736/84700689_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/665-Sky-Line-Trl-Topanga-CA-90290/20551030_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/424-Harrison-Hill-Rd-Swannanoa-NC-28778/5632551_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1123-Old-Mill-Run-Leeds-AL-35094/89731248_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/315-Morris-Point-Ln-South-Pittsburg-TN-37380/81117864_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10-Fieldview-Ln-Tewksbury-Twp-NJ-07830/2113342646_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6394-Route-86-Jay-NY-12941/2097829511_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6081-Whitetail-Ridge-Rd-Silver-Bay-MN-55614/106723373_zpid/ the exterior looks a bit unfortunate but I like this take on an open floorplan

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2410-Larch-Camp-Rd-Missoula-MT-59803/3136767_zpid/ holy moly 20,000+ views on this listing in 100 days

and my dream house (one of many dream houses)
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/18-Roxbury-Mountain-Rd-Hobart-NY-13788/30075082_zpid/

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

on the bored wop posted:

you should probably get something to tack down those corners. still not a fan of it on the wood, but it doesn't look like you have enough space elsewhere for it. could just be the wrong rug for that area :shrug:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

drgitlin posted:

I agree with this.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The main issue still is the color. I suppose I'll comment about it since other folks are now saying it, but the moment I saw the rug my personal reaction was "oh, the color doesn't match".

Looking at your other photos, the main issue I see and why you're leaning toward this rug is that the space is dark and too grey. So I think you have a couple of options.

(1) White rug, providing contrast with cherry wood.
(2) If white is too bright for you, you can go for a griege, beige, or gray rug, but make sure it's pretty light.
(3) You can go with a classic patterned rug, maybe the above as a base + a minor subtle color as a secondary.

Orange usually evokes "fun" "lively" or "energetic", which is probably the opposite of cozy. You're also mixing a very modern style rug with a more classic interior. Finally, you have a good cherry floor, and cherry wood tends to want to take the focus, since it's a decent material. The orange there takes focus away from the cherry wood in the floor.

The original setup for your rug is fine, like others have said.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That rug will be covered in legos, books, scraps of paper and little plastic foods soon enough, don't worry about it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ntan1 posted:

The main issue still is the color.

Is it? I see the main issue as that weird off-center patch of laminate bamboo.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I like to imagine a dinner party where the owners sit in the back and watch them for their enjoyment.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

ntan1 posted:

The main issue still is the color. I suppose I'll comment about it since other folks are now saying it, but the moment I saw the rug my personal reaction was "oh, the color doesn't match".

Looking at your other photos, the main issue I see and why you're leaning toward this rug is that the space is dark and too grey. So I think you have a couple of options.

(1) White rug, providing contrast with cherry wood.
(2) If white is too bright for you, you can go for a griege, beige, or gray rug, but make sure it's pretty light.
(3) You can go with a classic patterned rug, maybe the above as a base + a minor subtle color as a secondary.

Orange usually evokes "fun" "lively" or "energetic", which is probably the opposite of cozy. You're also mixing a very modern style rug with a more classic interior. Finally, you have a good cherry floor, and cherry wood tends to want to take the focus, since it's a decent material. The orange there takes focus away from the cherry wood in the floor.

The original setup for your rug is fine, like others have said.

right on the money, i was trying to figure out what was bugging me about it, and that's 100% it

it's a cool rug, and it'll definitely look good... somewhere else, but not really in that space.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

drgitlin posted:

Yeah, the rug looked better the other way (removing the table also doesn't help). Sometimes you gotta try some poo poo to know :shobon:.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if your plan is to add a couch and a coffee table anyway, but that rug definitely doesn't read "cozy" to me. Currently the chairs are oriented for watching someone else eat dinner, which still strikes me as strange with nothing else there.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah try a 4x6 white rug

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Wait, is that rug really considered a modern style? I'm no designer, but it looks very contemporary to the furniture and that fireplace to me.

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010

Are those craft associates/Adrian Pearsall chairs?

edit: Agreed with other posters about going for a more muted rug. I like the arrangement of the chairs off the rug better (otherwise it looks too cluttered to me), but either way the chairs get lost when they’re outshined by the brightness/boldness of the rug. Anyway I think the size/placement alone are fine. :-)

uncloudy day fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 12, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

does look almost the same https://www.adrianpearsallstore.com/product-page/2291-c-2

i feel like this dude is rich or something, he also has a chandelier!

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010

actionjackson posted:

does look almost the same https://www.adrianpearsallstore.com/product-page/2291-c-2

i feel like this dude is rich or something, he also has a chandelier!

Oh yeah nice i didn’t know about this website. Here it is
https://www.adrianpearsallstore.com/product-page/2291-c-2

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Slugworth posted:

Wait, is that rug really considered a modern style? I'm no designer, but it looks very contemporary to the furniture and that fireplace to me.

You're technically correct.

Modern and Contemporary are often interchanged today. Technically, you are right in that the rug is contemporary, as modern usually refers to a particular trend from the 1920s to 1940s. This is then enhanced by midcentury modern, postmodern and minimalist, which kind of combine to our modern definition today. Contemporary refers to the style that is popular nowadays, of which both modern and postmodern are two of the most popular trends today.

The furniture (the two chairs) probably would be considered mid-century modern. Because it also uses neutral colors, it could likely be transitional. The problem is that the rug is a more postmodern than mid-century modern (because it has super bright colors, isn't very muted), and the rest of the decor in the house is trying to be closer to midcentury modern or transitional.

It's hard describing style though because every house in the US is now often a gigantic mess of all of the different trends ever.

FYI: I'm not an interior designer either, I've just had to do way too much remodeling.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

That bookcase on the mezzanine(?) looks like it's on a huge angle.

Some weird perspective in that room.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That bookcase on the mezzanine(?) looks like it's on a huge angle.

Some weird perspective in that room.

The bookcases are upright but slanted to the sides so it looks like the books are angled.

It's a communist-themed library! I really want those footstools.

edit: the more I look at this house the more little easter eggs I see, like this anti-natalist (?) mixed media piece.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 12, 2020

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Whatever is serving as railings on that mezzanine isn't fixed at the top and already looks crooked in places.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cakesmith handyman posted:

Whatever is serving as railings on that mezzanine isn't fixed at the top and already looks crooked in places.

Tripping and impaling yourself on the spirals before falling over the ledge is all part of the fun.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

edit: the more I look at this house the more little easter eggs I see, like this anti-natalist (?) mixed media piece.

The book is The Baby Boon : How Family-Friendly America Cheats the Childless, and it's about how people get special benefits when they have kids and that isn't fair to people who are childless. This article mentions the author living in Hobart NY in a house her husband designed and built, so that's probably what the listing is.

And those stools are any old grandma footstool from the Salvation army and some old soviet kitsch. You could DIY it in a heartbeat.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/879-Oliverea-Rd-Shandaken-NY-12410/32872561_zpid/ 200 years younger than the other houses in this post but very handsome nevertheless

Sitting in these chairs at that table is going to be so goddamn awkward. ow my knees

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

ntan1 posted:

Looking at your other photos, the main issue I see and why you're leaning toward this rug is that the space is dark and too grey.

Good point about the colors. I've always been pretty garbage at figuring out color matching. The space is pretty dark, yeah, but on the whole the room feels more brown to me than anything because that wood paneling goes all the way up to the roof. My wife doesn't want to consider brown couches for that reason but it looks like the previous owners had both a brown couch and a beige couch and I don't hate how it looks. But, again, I suck at that and am still trying to learn :shrug:

uncloudy day posted:

Are those craft associates/Adrian Pearsall chairs?

No idea. They originally belonged to my grandfather and then spent many years languishing at my aunt's house while her dogs chewed up the upholstery. She was going to just throw them away five or six years ago when my dad rescued them, had them recovered, and let me permanently "borrow" them. Any tags they may have had would have been lost by then as they don't have any now.

uncloudy day posted:

Oh yeah nice i didn’t know about this website. Here it is
https://www.adrianpearsallstore.com/product-page/2466-c

Correcting the URL, yeah, that looks to be the one! Very cool to know more about them :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/N90JEkx.mp4