Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Next time we'll just protest in a way that the political right and the media find agreeable, there's probably lots of options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Next time we'll just protest in a way that the political right and the media find agreeable, there's probably lots of options.

They find this agreeable tho lmao

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
The media and right are traitors and/or enemies, that ship has long since sailed. But it's always interesting to find so many australians who self-identify as left and yet are still engaged in the same old self-righteous morally superior absolutism, this rage-filled vitriol and false consciousness. Solidarity isn't just a typo for your favourite brand of potting mix, what the gently caress is it going to achieve by criticising kindred movements with a higher level of hatred and violence than your mortal goddamn enemies do?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Did scomo really say that slavery never existed in Australia?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sulla Faex posted:

The media and right are traitors and/or enemies, that ship has long since sailed. But it's always interesting to find so many australians who self-identify as left and yet are still engaged in the same old self-righteous morally superior absolutism, this rage-filled vitriol and false consciousness. Solidarity isn't just a typo for your favourite brand of potting mix, what the gently caress is it going to achieve by criticising kindred movements with a higher level of hatred and violence than your mortal goddamn enemies do?

Who is doing that? Also this is a dead forum.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Sulla Faex posted:

QFT

Zenithe posted:

Did scomo really say that slavery never existed in Australia?

Yes. It's been reported on by multiple media outlets. But y'know, all lives matter and covid impacts all lives so don't go protest our continued and ongoing abysmal treatment of Indigenous Australians in the middle of a worldwide cultural zeitgeist in case someone in this thread has a hernia about it.

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 11, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don't criticise things, that's how you meet with success.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
if we weren't in the middle of a pandemic most of the people pointing at the protest and saying "why is there different rules for those people when I couldn't honour are diggers???" would instead be saying "these protesters shouldn't be blocking the roads, what if nana Ruth has a heart attack and the ambulance can't get her to the hospital"

I'm not super comfortable with such big gatherings in a pandemic but pointing to those people as a reason why righteous protests shouldn't happen is a losing game

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

ungulateman posted:

All Captains Are Bastards

What about John Davis? Or Douglas Mawson?

Exploring the south end of the planet. Mawson was the leader of the expedition and Davis was the captain of the ship.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

JBP posted:

Who is doing that? Also this is a dead forum.

Rigor mortis got me hard

And I'm not going to name names because to be honest I consider it a cultural thing. Australian rhetoric, even left-wing rhetoric, is (in my opinion) distinctly aggressive and combative, in a way I personally consider to be hugely self-defeating. I also suffer from the tendency to do this but living in Europe for a while has helped, because people are utterly shocked when you talk politics/social issues in ways that would be completely normal back in Australia

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

The Before Times posted:

The Melbourne protest specifically was organised by the Warriors of the Aboriginal Resistance (a collective run by Aboriginal people). They were super careful and conscious about encouraging distancing, mask and hand sanitizer use, and attendees were strongly encouraged to isolate for 14 days after the protest if possible. Of course it's not guaranteed to be effective, but I think it's important to make the point that the organisers, aboriginal community members and elders who attended obviously made an assessment that the benefits of protesting the long-term effects of racism in this country outweighed the covid risk.

Yeah this is basically how I see it. These people weren't ignorant of what they were doing and tried to conduct it as best they could, it's cold comfort for people in danger of it but things like Aboriginal Deaths in Custody is a can that has been kicked down the street for so long asking these people to just sit on their hands and wait patiently or "do something else" wasn't ever going to be a solution that gelled. It's one of those complex issues that is best solved by actually confronting the problem that's still being ignored even now and trying to solve it. Woefully optimistic I know but that's really the crux of it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Homora Gaykemi posted:

if we weren't in the middle of a pandemic most of the people pointing at the protest and saying "why is there different rules for those people when I couldn't honour are diggers???" would instead be saying "these protesters shouldn't be blocking the roads, what if nana Ruth has a heart attack and the ambulance can't get her to the hospital"

I'm not super comfortable with such big gatherings in a pandemic but pointing to those people as a reason why righteous protests shouldn't happen is a losing game

I don't think anyone is talking about the hell bent right wing that just hates anything progressive. Plenty of people fear covid for good reason. I can understand many people being taken aback by massive gatherings of people in opposition to medical professionals who we've been told to trust and are often not govt affiliated or share their values.

We also have a culture where a lot of people simply believe that everything is fine and I think that comes down to indigenous people being poorly represented in every facet of daily life. I know that I personally notice indigenous Australians because I simply don't bump into them all that often. I also don't watch Australian drama.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Honestly the best post in the last three pages. The ring wing assholes would be simply switching to something else to browbeat protestors and with the complete lack of community transmission the risk was in fact quite low - esp with organisers being at pains to tell people to self isolate, wear masks and social distance.

It's not like this is some dumb rear end march to get a haircut. Police shitfuckery and institutional racism is a enormous deadly issue and in the end one a lot of people think is worth the risk to protest.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It's way too early to say how local protests will be perceived in the future. Pretty soon we're gonna have thousands of people at footy games and the like.

I didn't attend the Adelaide protest due to not feeling comfortable about distancing, however I'm not going to criticise anyone who did. That said, it seems like the best time for local protests could be in a few weeks. As Australia starts to get back to some kind of normal, disruptive protests would have a lot more impact on people trying to act like everything is fine again.

I'm not an organiser though, and there's definitely a momentum right now that is hard to pass up.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Scomo and his ilk would have absolutely opened football games back up months ago. They don't give a flying gently caress about public safety, they don't like the protests and the way the wind is blowing.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I went to a mall last weekend and it was absolutely clear that social distancing is already dead.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I went to a mall last weekend and it was absolutely clear that social distancing is already dead.

I only shop when I finish work now (usually 5:30) because I went on the weekend and could feel my breathing get shallower as I just watched.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Your only preoccupation seems to be with what the right thinks. You have party politics brain rot.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Fascinating anecdote. What did you buy at the mall? Magazines to shove up your arse?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Absolute nonsense. The world is bigger than The usual suspects who cynically argue about this poo poo online and in newspapers. You are massively underestimating peoples’ real fear around covid and the resentment that these race baiting brush offs will cause.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

you ever worry so much about your child not being popular at school that you drown it in a bath tub

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Opinion piece in The West Australian today about protests in Britain:

In short
- Britain is the least racist nation.

- People who won't listen to my calm logic are irrational invaders who can't accept reality.

- Almost literally says 'so much for the tolerant left'.

- People pulling down statues are ignorant revisionists. They are eliminating bits of history they don't like. Obviously there are no other records of the deeds performed by the people represented by these statues.

- Monuments to genocide and slavery are bad, but we need to leave them standing so we don't forget the past. It is not possible to honour the memories of victims in any other way but to leave those statues standing.

Sarah Vine posted:

Well I don't know about you, but events over the past few days have left me feeling very depressed. I think it's a combination of things: revisiting the Madeline McCann case; the shaming Prince Andrew saga; the spiraling cost -- both human and economic -- of coronavirus. Everywhere I look, the world seems to be on fire, and I can't see a way of putting it out.

But the thing I find most troubling, the thought that has brought me to the verge of tears, is the way Britain - one of the most tolerant, fair and least prejudiced nations in the world - appears to have been infected by the same sickness that has been tearing America apart.

People talk about 'culture wars', often without really knowing what that means. And until recently the notion seemed a fairly abstract concept, the sort of term bandied about by TV presenters and academics, but largely irrelevant to ordinary people. But that is no longer true. The battles that have been raging on US campuses and streets have firmly invaded our shores.

Complex questions of politics, race and identity have become sharply polarised, stripped of all nuance, simplified beyond all reason, and presented as moral imperatives, a simple case of good versus evil, love versus hate, and yes, black versus white. Virtually nowhere is it possible to have an open, constructive debate about the pros and cons of any given issue. Reason has been replaced by insult, intellect by raw emotion, curiosity by preconception.

There is so much that I have found deeply saddening about the scenes in recent days. The sight of police horses being rammed with bicycles; the defacing of monuments dedicated to those who fought to protect our freedoms; the sheer ignorance that seems to underpin the views of some protesters. In particular, the notion that all white people need to apologise for their very existence (exemplified by one little girl, aged maybe sixe or seven, whose mother posted a picture of her holding up a sign proclaiming her 'white privilege') - and the idea we are all racists. To assume so - as many appear to - is as wrong headed as the assumption that a young black male hanging out in the park is a drug dealer. It is simply not true.

And yet those who've tried to calm the fervour of the seething crowds, have been turned upon, typecast as not much better than the men who killed Floyd. The truth doesn't matter, because the truth doesn't interest the self righteous social warriors invading our streets. All they care about is reinforcing their view of the world as they see it, not as it really is. It is this I find so depressing. This idea that such misconceptions have not only taken hold - but to push back against them is not only futile, but also dangerous.

Because, in the current climate of cultural intolerance, to disagree is almost impossible
. Any deviation from the narrative of extreme political correctness, of 'woke' revisionism, is interpreted as a thought crime, a perversion, and shut down accordingly. It has been a very long tim since freedom of thought felt so fragile - or so risky. As to a situation of such intolerance supposedly arising from a desire for more tolerance - well, the irony hardly needs explaining.

And so, by necessity, and because - let's face it - it's very hard and very frightening to stand u to the mob, people capitulate. For what it's worth, I think Bristol is a better place without the statue of slave trader Edward Colston, torn down at the weekend. But I disagree with the method of removing it because it represents a mindset I find deeply sinister. No doubt, for example, the fervent Islamic State jihadis who torched the library at Mosul, or flattened the Temple of Baal in Palmyra felt they were pursuing righteous justice in eliminating the evidence of past regimes they despised. In reality, they were, like that mob in Bristol, merely indulging in cultural vandalism.

For as long as Auschwitz remains standing, for example, we will never forget the genocide of World War II, and rightly so. Slavery is in that same category. The best way to honour its victims is to to preserve their memory with dignity and respect and never lose sight of the evil done to them, however much it offends our sensibilities.

Just the biggest :cripes: face how she says I disagree with the method of removing the statue. Protesters were merely indulging in self righteous cultural vandalism similar to Islamic State - only to end with - We should never lose sight of the evil done to the victims, however much it offends our sensibilities. Clearly her own sensibilities were offended enough to write an entire opinion column about how the protesters need to face reality, accept that white privilege doesn't exist, and leave our cultural icons alone.

Auschwitz is the only thing I can credit her for mentioning at the end, that needs to remain because it can be really hard to comprehend a massive facility designed for killing and torturing such large numbers of people in real life.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Amethyst posted:

Fascinating anecdote. What did you buy at the mall? Magazines to shove up your arse?

lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The loving monocle wearing statue defenders are the worst poo poo. Just take down the monuments to conquest and put some loving art there that anyone can enjoy.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Where I am people are still doing alright at it but that's mostly due to the fact that my local Coles where I get "rear end Cram Weekly" is still super aggressive about signalling about it all and staff are still wearing vests that tell people to social distance and offering hand wash as people walk in and doing announcements still. The area just outside the supermarket can be a bit of a social hub so the reminders have done wonders for keeping it in the backs of everyone's minds. It isn't exactly the biggest population in the area but it's very elderly by average age so it's kind of a relief to still see people taking it seriously in the place where they're all most likely to spread it otherwise.

Just an anecdote though, but I think the whole "keep people thinking about it" thing is probably key.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hmm perhaps different statues or monuments could be erected to remember the victims? Nah best to just leave the current ones that honour the perpetrators.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Put all the statues of racists etc in a museum called the racism museum so normal people don't have to look at them and people that want to can explain why.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

abigserve posted:

Scomo and his ilk would have absolutely opened football games back up months ago. They don't give a flying gently caress about public safety, they don't like the protests and the way the wind is blowing.

This is nonsensical. "Scomo and his ilk" are currently running the federal government and the government of the largest state. "Months ago" was the start of the pandemic, when Scomo And His Ilk... shut down football games?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

TheMostFrench posted:

Opinion piece in The West Australian today about protests in Britain:

The West Australian is a great demonstration of why Murdoch is an effect, not a cause

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

EoinCannon posted:

Put all the statues of racists etc in a museum called the racism museum so normal people don't have to look at them and people that want to can explain why.

I'd go to the racist museum to look at all the old bronze whiteys and click my tongue at them.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

I'd go to the racist museum to look at all the old bronze whiteys and click my tongue at them.

Tbh I would probably go too

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

"check out my cool memorabilia, i guess you could call me a history buff" he says as you step into a basement filled with nazi flags and empty zyklon b canisters

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

abigserve posted:

What??? Scomo and co are literally in charge of that right now. They haven’t opened up football games. You are twisting yourself in knots.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

freebooter posted:

This is nonsensical. "Scomo and his ilk" are currently running the federal government and the government of the largest state. "Months ago" was the start of the pandemic, when Scomo And His Ilk... shut down football games?

Exactly!

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If I went to London for example, and they had removed all the public statues of slavers, imperialists and other scumbags and put them in a museum with information about all the poo poo they got up to, I would probably want to check it out. It depends on how it was presented obviously.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I wonder what the venn diagram of "very concerned about removal of Cook monuments" and "did not give a poo poo when a mining company exploded that indigenous site" is.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

EoinCannon posted:

If I went to London for example, and they had removed all the public statues of slavers, imperialists and other scumbags and put them in a museum with information about all the poo poo they got up to, I would probably want to check it out. It depends on how it was presented obviously.

I wouldn't care if it had their other achievements or place in history so long as it was extremely clear that by our standards this person was a criminal and here are their crimes.

I foam at the mouth whenever Churchill worship happens for instance.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The LNP protected us from covid, passed gay marriage and are the best possible economic managers for the ongoing recession.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The Artificial Kid posted:

There's a difference between the standard lockdown, which is largely self regulated with random police enforcement, and actually sealing off a community from the outside world because you can't trust them not to infect each other. Time may tell us that it was a worthwhile thing to do, but you'd want to hope it was worthwhile, because otherwise it's an affront to the residents of those communities.

A cursory google shows that in the NT it was a decision to suspend permits (which you normally need to enter Aboriginal lands) made by the Northern Land Council, which is entirely an Aboriginal body:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-14/remote-top-end-communities-closed-off-coronavirus/12057006

Ditto the Tiwi Land Council:

https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/2020/03/25/tiwi-islands-ask-all-non-essential-residents-leave-amidst-covid-19-pandemic

In the APY Lands it was again an internal decision made by the Aboriginal authorities:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-06/apy-lands-moves-to-restrict-visitor-due-to-coronavirus-fears/12030642

I'm not going to google every Aboriginal community in the country, but at a glance it appears flat-out wrong to characterise Indigenous lockdowns as a paternalistic external decision imposed by white Australian authorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We should restrict public art to weird, ambiguous contemporary sculpture that everyone hates equally