Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Every now and then I check on Defender's Quest 2's progress. I remember being super pumped about that game like 5 years ago. :( According to their own website, the game's been in development for over 6 years.

Azran fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
finished Ryse recently; it's not great or anything but if you want a shallow, very pretty action game that isn't too long, it fits the bill

playing through Song of the Deep right now. it doesn't reinvent the Metroid-like wheel, which might be why it came and went in 2016 without leaving a big impression despite being from a renowned developer (Insomniac), but it's a pretty solid and polished example of the genre, at least

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Azran posted:

Every now and then I check on Defender's Quest 2's progress. I remember being super pumped about that game like 5 years ago. :( According to their own website, the game's been in development for over 6 years.

It feels like they've done a complete revamp at least once.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

finished Ryse recently; it's not great or anything but if you want a shallow, very pretty action game that isn't too long, it fits the bill

playing through Song of the Deep right now. it doesn't reinvent the Metroid-like wheel, which might be why it came and went in 2016 without leaving a big impression despite being from a renowned developer (Insomniac), but it's a pretty solid and polished example of the genre, at least
Yea the only real issue with song of the deep is that not everyone's gonna be down with laser mirror puzzles

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

baka kaba posted:

(haven't played Satisfactory but this is more of a general thing about different people's experiences - also red and green are real bad colours to use for important info considering 5% of people have trouble telling them apart)

I have a ton of hours in Factorio (not to say I'm good at it, mind you, just that I get the jist) and Satisfactory did not click with me the same way at all. I think it's just much easier to parse stuff in an overhead perspective than it is in first person, and I also think Factorio just does an exceptionally good job at presenting complicated information in a digestible way, and even though they make it seem easy, the fact that it succeeds at having a functional UI shouldn't be taken for granted.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I don't know when/if it's coming to PC but having just spent well over 150 hours with Nioh 2 on PS4 I can say it's real good, in fact I think it will be subjectively the best soulsborne game once it gets the DLC and has a proper end-game

Looking forward to this a lot, might give in if the PS4 version goes on deep discount but otherwise very excited for the PC release. I basically agree with everybody on this page about the stuff Nioh did wrong, but the combat system rules and it distinguishes itself in a very appealing way from the From Software games with the stance-switching. Ninjitsu and magic also felt great -- I love the idea of a skill tree built around restocking powerful consumable items, it's a great way to counter the hoarder's mindset so many of us are cursed with. Give me that with some more interesting level design and a bigger enemy pool and I'm happy.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
A lot of people are really bad at spatial awareness. I don't think it's something that is comprehensible if you are spatially aware, it just seems unbelievable. No matter how many times I see it in action, it's hard to believe that I can show someone an object, then change the perspective, and they have no idea what the side they can't see looks like. I wonder if that is impacting people's ability to get into Satisfactory?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Azran posted:

I enjoyed the first. Where are you looking to see updates?

K8.0 posted:

A lot of people are really bad at spatial awareness. I don't think it's something that is comprehensible if you are spatially aware, it just seems unbelievable. No matter how many times I see it in action, it's hard to believe that I can show someone an object, then change the perspective, and they have no idea what the side they can't see looks like. I wonder if that is impacting people's ability to get into Satisfactory?

This post reminded me that some people out there can't think in images. I forget what it's called. There are a ton of brain quirks out there. Mine is short-term memory unless I'm on my prescription.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jamfrost posted:

This post reminded me that some people out there can't think in images. I forget what it's called. There are a ton of brain quirks out there. Mine is short-term memory unless I'm on my prescription.

Aphantasia and yeah that's me! I haven't played satisfactory but it generally makes it hard to play any game where strict planning/placement is necessary, like factorio, because I can't imagine what my layout should look like without drawing it on a piece of paper

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's a thing with the Focus/Spiders game that it's not just eurojank for the most part, the game gets near impossible due to poor action/combat design unless you have the patience and will of a saint right?

The Technomancer starts off decent but already I'm very leery of putting any more time into it after the first boss fight because with it being hard to tell what is and isn't going to damage you and those weird "not quite sure if the dodge will actually dodge" animation frames.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's fascinating to learn about those mental things since it's so easy to just assume everyone is "normal" and experiences things the same way you do. And then you get the fun moments of "how much depth perception am I supposed to be seeing" where everyone tries to figure out words to actually describe their perspective; unless you rate close to a 0 in some aspect it can be surprisingly difficult to gauge.

Even outside of actual physical issues processing things you get some stuff in games that's obvious once you notice it but surprisingly opaque if missed. I'm sure almost all of us have had a "I went through the whole game without knowing I could X" moment when someone else happened to hit that button or be standing in the right place to spot and grasp what was going on quickly.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Bruceski posted:

It's fascinating to learn about those mental things since it's so easy to just assume everyone is "normal" and experiences things the same way you do. And then you get the fun moments of "how much depth perception am I supposed to be seeing" where everyone tries to figure out words to actually describe their perspective; unless you rate close to a 0 in some aspect it can be surprisingly difficult to gauge.

Even outside of actual physical issues processing things you get some stuff in games that's obvious once you notice it but surprisingly opaque if missed. I'm sure almost all of us have had a "I went through the whole game without knowing I could X" moment when someone else happened to hit that button or be standing in the right place to spot and grasp what was going on quickly.

I agree. Like the game I'm currently playing now, Legends of Runeterra. I'm sure that a total newbie to card games can just grasp everything super quickly, since they actually have no reference whatsoever. However, I myself struggle for at least 1 week on understanding the initiative/passing/stack system, since I've kept on comparing the similar features to previous games like MTG and the like. So I pretty much have to unlearn everything I learnt & bad habits etc. Took a much longer than it should.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jamfrost posted:

The first time I encountered something like this was when I was a writing tutor in college. I would give people advice like “listen to how the words sound in your head” and they would look at me like I was telling them to do advanced calculus.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Jamfrost posted:

The dev's blog - https://www.fortressofdoors.com/

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I'm just glad it's alive.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

I didn't know about the Valve contractor gig they have. Nice.

exquisite tea posted:

The first time I encountered something like this was when I was a writing tutor in college. I would give people advice like “listen to how the words sound in your head” and they would look at me like I was telling them to do advanced calculus.

I suppose reading it out loud would have the same effect if you're talking about proofreading yourself.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah okay, I'm bouncing off Nioh pretty hard. I got to the Boss at the end of the fishing village and after a few times getting destroyed I figured my strategy was the wrong one because I was getting nowhere. I looked up how to fight him and apparently I'm using exactly the right strategy but the fight is just an exercise in frustration. It's just a matter of taking forever to chip away at his health bar combined with him easily killing me with two shots/only having four elixirs, so I've just been left in an endless series of repetitions of running to the Boss, fighting for 5-10 minutes doing very little damage, getting KOed by a single shot after running out of elixir, repeat.

Whatever it is about Dark Souls games that makes me willing to put up with multiple deaths to get past a Boss I'm just not feeling with Nioh. :smith:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

is it the boss with the ball & chains? that's easily one of the worst bosses of the game and it's right near the beginning for no real reason.. they really hosed up big on that

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The itch.io bundle ballooned into over 1500 games, with more to come.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The 7th Guest posted:

is it the boss with the ball & chains? that's easily one of the worst bosses of the game and it's right near the beginning for no real reason.. they really hosed up big on that

That's the one yeah, really small room to fight in, he swings his chains in a full circle if you get behind him, you can bait him into attacking on one side and leaving the other exposed but his health bar is massive and it takes forever to whittle him down.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah okay, I'm bouncing off Nioh pretty hard. I got to the Boss at the end of the fishing village and after a few times getting destroyed I figured my strategy was the wrong one because I was getting nowhere. I looked up how to fight him and apparently I'm using exactly the right strategy but the fight is just an exercise in frustration. It's just a matter of taking forever to chip away at his health bar combined with him easily killing me with two shots/only having four elixirs, so I've just been left in an endless series of repetitions of running to the Boss, fighting for 5-10 minutes doing very little damage, getting KOed by a single shot after running out of elixir, repeat.

Whatever it is about Dark Souls games that makes me willing to put up with multiple deaths to get past a Boss I'm just not feeling with Nioh. :smith:

Same, Nioh didn't click with me and this is coming from someone who has played & enjoyed all of the recent FROM games.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I got AC Odyssey as it was going cheap but I'm having trouble with the bow. When I hold the left trigger to aim it seems to barely move at all when I use the right stick - making it very hard to aim, turning up sensitivity didn't seem to help.

Any ideas?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MZ posted:

I got AC Odyssey as it was going cheap but I'm having trouble with the bow. When I hold the left trigger to aim it seems to barely move at all when I use the right stick - making it very hard to aim, turning up sensitivity didn't seem to help.

Any ideas?

Do you have more than one controller app open? That might be doubling your inputs or something weird like that. AC Odyssey has native DS4 support iirc.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

ultrafilter posted:

Dissembler. A+ casual puzzle game with enough meat to last a long time. Solving some of the later levels can feel like a pretty big accomplishment.

I've played this and can confirm that solving the more complex puzzles does cause "me am smart person now"

Bruceski posted:

Oliver Sack's The Minds Eye is one of my favorite books.

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 11, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

That's the one yeah, really small room to fight in, he swings his chains in a full circle if you get behind him, you can bait him into attacking on one side and leaving the other exposed but his health bar is massive and it takes forever to whittle him down.
yeah he fuckin sucks. i bounced off nioh the first time because of him. i came back later and beat him and nioh ended up being my favorite soulslike, but i don't blame anyone for giving up there, because it's a SMT3 Matador-esque difficulty spike right at the beginning

there's also a succubus boss a few stages later that is one of the hardest bosses in the entire game

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

MZ posted:

Same, Nioh didn't click with me and this is coming from someone who has played & enjoyed all of the recent FROM games.
Same. I grinded the village before the boss until I got a full Warrior of the West set (with a huge lightning sword) from online phantoms, beat the boss, beat the rest of the island and uninstalled. Love FROM games but loathed Nioh.

Also it ran TERRIBLY.

quote:

there's also a succubus boss a few stages later that is one of the hardest bosses in the entire game
If you mean the bat lady, I thought she was actually easier since I could read her moves better and slowly but surely chip away without getting hit.

EDIT x2: Same with the monkey boss. I just over-leveled myself as much as possible but I just wasn't having fun and the nonsense equipment/blacksmithing system was infuriating.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 11, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

The 7th Guest posted:

She's in the next story level. Nioh's difficulty is weird.
I still love the game but those are all very valid complaints.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Yep, I got to the same spot and it really turned me off to the game. I'll probably have to just have someone coop with me to beat it. I wish I had the time to learn games like this though and get really good at them.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jamfrost posted:

I didn't know about the Valve contractor gig they have. Nice.

Yeah, I think Defender's Quest is taking a while because the guy picks up the occasional gig on the side to keep the cashflow going.

I've actually been replaying the first game. At some point a new game plus mode was added with a bunch of extra missions and stuff. It's pretty cool, although some of the last missions are stupidly hard to three-star.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I get why people describe Nioh as soulslike but it rubs me the wrong way. Like calling Sonic a Mario like. There's some shared verbs but they don't assemble in nearly the same way.

Not to say Nioh is unique like Sanic. It's very literally Diablo and Ninja Gaiden put together. The check pointing and corpse running is just as much out of Diablo 2 as a Souls game though.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
It definitely partially scratched the Dark Souls itch but it also left it itching more in my case. Personally I'm liking randomized loot less and less as years go by and for me it doesn't really mesh well with what I like about Dark Souls. Sekiro showed me that I don't even need leveling in Soulslikes but it definitely lacked in fashion and weapon options (the latter for good reason, though).

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Blattdorf posted:

Is there any info on this? I looked at the twitter but got no information from it.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Bloodborne nailed the equipment drops perfectly: every weapon is different and actually viable through the whole game if you upgrade it. You never get a version of the same weapon that just replaces the one you've been using (and upgrading) since it's the exact same weapon/moveset with better stats, it's just a matter of which one you like best.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Death Stranding PC version requirements are out and it's the first game I've wanted to play that my current PC doesn't meet at least the minimums. But I should be good if I just upgrade my GPU (I have a 960 2 GB now), which I was already planning to do for Cyberpunk.

You had a good 5+ year run, PC. *pats mini-tower*

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It hasn't saved me any money in the long run but I am impressed by the Ship of Theseus ability on PC builds these days. Living the dream of the 2000s to replace one part at a time. Everything's been replaced but the case and original HDDs.

It's due for a motherboard/processor/ram re-up and those HDDs should probably be consolidated on a new drive and I'll probably get a new case at that point because the accessible USB ports have been burned out.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Blattdorf posted:

I’ve been trying to page through this thing and pick out what I’m interested in but the order of titles, ie what’s on each page, changes on a daily basis. Guess I’ll wait until it’s assuredly done.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

zedprime posted:

It hasn't saved me any money in the long run but I am impressed by the Ship of Theseus ability on PC builds these days. Living the dream of the 2000s to replace one part at a time. Everything's been replaced but the case and original HDDs.

It's due for a motherboard/processor/ram re-up and those HDDs should probably be consolidated on a new drive and I'll probably get a new case at that point because the accessible USB ports have been burned out.

I would really like to upgrade to DDR4 RAM and go hog with 32 GB. But I’d be doing a full rebuild at that point. PSU being 5+ yrs old may be due for replacement too.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Out of curiosity, has anyone played Mirror's Edge Catalyst? I just noticed it pop up on Steam the other day, and I remember quite liking the original ME back in the day. Is this actually any good, or is it just...not great and/or super short? Since it kinda just appeared on my radar without any fanfare, which seems odd for a new Mirror's Edge game (unless I've simply bumbled my way through the last few weeks, missing all the ads for it :v: )

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

General consensus is that if you liked the first, you’ll like this too, especially for $10. However it has a lot of bad open world gameplay decisions that hurt it, the combat is so-so and the story is rear end. Still there’s fun to be had regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Major Isoor posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone played Mirror's Edge Catalyst? I just noticed it pop up on Steam the other day, and I remember quite liking the original ME back in the day. Is this actually any good, or is it just...not great and/or super short? Since it kinda just appeared on my radar without any fanfare, which seems odd for a new Mirror's Edge game (unless I've simply bumbled my way through the last few weeks, missing all the ads for it :v: )

I played it and liked it. I think there's more (unarmed) combat than the first but it's been a while since I played either. I had fun with it, as I always have fun FPS parkour. I'd say give it a shot!