Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Ratjaculation posted:

Someone keeps linking guido loving fawkes in a group chat jfc

for or against?

E: 67 are a British drill group composed of rappers LD, Monkey, Dimzy, Liquez, ASAP and SJ. They are best known for their 2016 track "Lets Lurk". They were nominated for Best Newcomer at the 2016 MOBO Awards. The group has been labelled a "criminal gang" by the police, and had their first UK tour shut down.

XMNN fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jose posted:

he did get to pick his own staff after being leader right

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1270984656465338368?s=20

I don't think so for staff actually employed by the Labour Party.
This was a lot of the issues Corbyn had - staffers who were in post before he became leader, from the ancien régime.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

This is great.

Hancock: "It's diversity of thought that counts"

https://twitter.com/DawnButlerBrent/status/1271030029342986240?s=20

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011

Choose your Gammon Fighter! Guy to the left of the statue's head looks like your classic Brawler unit but I'm drawn to the woman wanking the statue off, bet she's got access to some decent buffing spells.

Apologies for the Daily Mail article but lol:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8409331/Statue-Scouts-founder-Lord-Baden-Powell-REMOVED-seafront.html posted:

Former scouts today vowed to defend the seaside statue of Robert Baden-Powell due to be hauled down later after Black Lives Matter protesters branded him racist, homophobic and fascist as the campaign to remove approaching 80 historic monuments in Britain hurtles on.

Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole (BCP) Council leader Vikki Slade, a Liberal Democrat, says the statue on Poole Quay facing Brownsea Island where the first scout camp was held in 1907 will be taken down immediately and put in 'safe storage'.

But there is fury over the statue's planned removal today with former Queen's Scout Len Bannister, 79, guarding it this morning declaring: 'If they want to knock this down - they'll have to knock me down first'.

He told ITV News: 'It's absolutely crazy. Who's it that actually wants to do it? I'll fight them off. I'm actually very angry - and I'm not a protester. I've had a lot of enjoyment because of him in my life because of him'.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
you literally are a protestor mate, you're out there protesting its potential removal

also a distinct lack of social distancing or masks at your little protest, so we all know which thugs will be to blame for any second spike

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I'm so proud of Bristol for sparking this excellent trend.

Next up Jebediah Springfield.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Pencils R Cool posted:

But there is fury over the statue's planned removal today with former Queen's Scout Len Bannister, 79, guarding it this morning declaring: 'If they want to knock this down - they'll have to knock me down first'.

If it wasn't the DM I'd think they were taking the piss giving his age.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I hope Keir is crying about all those Christopher Colon statues going for a swim too, lol

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Aphex- posted:

I'm so proud of Bristol for sparking this excellent trend.

Next up Jebediah Springfield.

Wow the Hans Sprungfeld episode has aged really badly, huh. 'It's ok to celebrate the lives of monsters as long as it makes people happy.' Gross.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Someone should tell them that it's okay to be proud of the scouts while still calling out the leader as a nazi scumbag who shouldn't have a statue? like petition for a new statue to celeberate the scouts which isn't a racist homophobic nazi.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

stev posted:

Wow the Hans Sprungfeld episode has aged really badly, huh. 'It's ok to celebrate the lives of monsters as long as it makes people happy.' Gross.

he tried to kill a slaver was he really all that bad

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I was going to suggest a statue of Akala, but the scouting thing is Akela, but close enough?

Put up a statue of Akala, gently caress it!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
wow Boris' performances at PMQs are getting strong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y44_mquP2rY

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

Am I wrong to find the phrase ‘anti-black racism’ a bit weird? Like, is it implying that anti-white racism is an alternative, or is it just excluding other forms of racism for some reason (and implying they’re not as important)?
Racism under white supremacy affects everyone who is not coded as 'white' (and some that are), but there's been a specific thread against Africans and other people coded as 'black' going way back.

Like most systems of racism explicitly place Africans below Asians and many others, with 'whites' at the top.

Immanuel Kant's seminal work, Racist Bullshit For Assholes posted:

In the hot countries the human being matures earlier in all ways but does not reach the perfection of the temperate zones, humanity exists in its greatest perfection in the white race … The yellow Indians have a smaller amount of Talent. The Negroes are lower and the lowest are a part of the American peoples.

Interestingly there, Native Americans are positioned even lower (even though many of them live in the temperate zones :confused:), but his racism reserves special bile for the African's lack of 'talent' and creativity, as evidenced by their inability to build anything like, e.g. the Malian Empire or the Great Zimbabwe, and I'm not quite sure that he knows what the 'American peoples' are.

Also Kant, whose name should always be pronounced with a TV East End accent posted:

This fellow was quite black from head to foot, a clear proof that what he said was stupid.
logic! :pseudo:

Same with the systems of Jim Crow and apartheid, which while obviously poo poo to Indians and other 'non-whites', reserved the bulk of their brutality for people of African descent. I'm not going to claim that the British Empire or the National Front weren't both poo poo cunts to Indians and Africans, but the magnitude of fear and hate was always worse towards the 'blacks'.

Interestingly at the Leicester BLM protest there were some members of the Asian community talking about anti-black racism within Asian communities and how this ties into caste prejudice and the history that darker = lower. You need a specific way of talking about that, otherwise you can't separate the white tears "minorities can be racist too" from the actual "minorities can be racist too."

This whole movement came out of specific brutality against Black people, so it's okay to talk specifically about that for this movement.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Glad that the fudge has started arriving.

Apologies for spamming the thread with yet more personal drama, but just had quite a shocking experience. Was just getting into the shower when I heard a lot of machine noise outside, looked out the window and saw some truculent oval office hoisting my currently SORN’ed car (costs more to repair than I can afford) onto a loving flatbed.

Turns out the ‘neighbourhood manager’ for my lovely Peabody estate had ordered it removed without even making a token effort to contact me in any way.

Luckily my wife was able to get out and talk to the guy before I could start breaking heads with my door-mace (had to throw clothes on etc), and between us we got them to back the gently caress off and put the car back. Obviously we’re making a formal complaint, but what other options do we have to make these fucks suffer? I’ve already put them on notice that anyone coming near that car again will be going home on a stretcher. Frankly I’m beyond furious.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

build a gulag

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Interestingly at the Leicester BLM protest there were some members of the Asian community talking about anti-black racism within Asian communities and how this ties into caste prejudice and the history that darker = lower. You need a specific way of talking about that, otherwise you can't separate the white tears "minorities can be racist too" from the actual "minorities can be racist too."

Same in the Middle East - the darker you are the lower. TV is full of adverts for 'Fair and Lovely' a skin bleach (a unilever product, as is the Dove 'natural beauty' product range). The adverts are all along the lines of you get the best looking guy / better jobs the more fair your skin is.

Eg:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj-P25dZ0Kw

This one is even worse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHhKqgOiAs0

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 11, 2020

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I just checked out Reddit's r/Ukpolitics sub and it's fragile white male central lol. Today they are extremely exercised about the wanton erasure of English history (statues) and beloved tv shows being cruelly removed from the listings (Little Britain).

I don't know why I was surprised but I kinda thought it might be a bigger version of this thread for some reason.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

I just checked out Reddit's r/Ukpolitics sub and it's fragile white male central lol. Today they are extremely exercised about the wanton erasure of English history (statues) and beloved tv shows being cruelly removed from the listings (Little Britain).

I don't know why I was surprised but I kinda thought it might be a bigger version of this thread for some reason.

One of my 'I'm not racist but... ' friends* who unfollowed just about everyone on Facebook because she's 'sick of politics' posts on there LOL. What she means is she's sick of lefty politics. (And btw she's 20 years younger than me so not an old millenial not a boomer or Gen X.)

*don't judge me, she's been an extremely good friend to me in many ways.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pistol_Pete posted:

I remember subbing to it at one point because the threads I saw were all pretty positive and left leaning.

I noped out of there last year when I saw the comments on some post related to trans issues. Yikes.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

My fudge from Camrath arrived today. It is indeed very tasty. Now if you'll excluse me, I'm going to act like a 10 year old, eat huge amounts of sugar for lunch and then feel very sick and have a nap.

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 11, 2020

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

Someone should tell them that it's okay to be proud of the scouts while still calling out the leader as a nazi scumbag who shouldn't have a statue? like petition for a new statue to celeberate the scouts which isn't a racist homophobic nazi.

A racist homophobic nazi who founded a youth organisation based on his usage of children in an imperialistic war.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

stev posted:

I remember subbing to it at one point because the threads I saw were all pretty positive and left leaning.

I noped out of there last year when I saw the comments on some post related to trans issues. Yikes.

In a similar vein Mumsnet is absolutely furious with Daniel Radcliffe/Eddie Redmayne/Emma Watson etc for their comments regarding JK Rowling.

They’re also pissed about the protests and statues coming down. They’re amazingly fragile people they really are.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Pencils R Cool posted:

Choose your Gammon Fighter! Guy to the left of the statue's head looks like your classic Brawler unit but I'm drawn to the woman wanking the statue off, bet she's got access to some decent buffing spells.

Just wait until after 10 PM and then chuck it into the sea after they've gone to bed.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

It's almost as if the right wingers... Are the real snowflakes??

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It is, occasionally, remarkable to me how much emotional energy people put into issues that are
A) utterly unrelated to their day-to-day lives; and
B) none of their loving business

The rest of the time, I'm just like "People are loving assholes"

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Pencils R Cool posted:

The line 'I've had a lot of enjoyment in my life because of him' is really telling - no, you loving haven't.

You may have had a lot of enjoyment in your life because of a movement he founded, but that movement isn't him. That movement was and IS carried on by people currently living. Give THEM some loving credit not the guy who died a century ago.

(Here I make no value judgement about the scouting movement, I've my doubts about it from a number of perspectives, but equally, it did give me some enjoyment myself when I was younger, up to and including having fairs which were held in one of his family estates)

OTOH, I'm not obviously seeing anythign particularly hideous that he did on Wikipedia (albeit, there's some lovely stuff, and he was a colonel in the 1890s in Africa so I can't see that it's likely that he was a GOOD person, but maybe that in and of itself is enough, given that was was very obviously doing colonialism and imperialism at the very least), does anyone have specifics?

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
The only thing that could make this country any more dreary is an american-style culture war over loving Little Britain.

It was absolutely panned at the time! come fly with me also did exactly one series before getting cancelled for being aggressively poo poo.

Can the bbc just release the streaming figures showing exactly nobody was watching it on demand anyway and end me having to see Barry Sweetcorn (69) from Drizzle demanding the return of his favourite tv show Small Britain.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

thespaceinvader posted:

The line 'I've had a lot of enjoyment in my life because of him' is really telling - no, you loving haven't.

You may have had a lot of enjoyment in your life because of a movement he founded, but that movement isn't him. That movement was and IS carried on by people currently living. Give THEM some loving credit not the guy who died a century ago.

(Here I make no value judgement about the scouting movement, I've my doubts about it from a number of perspectives, but equally, it did give me some enjoyment myself when I was younger, up to and including having fairs which were held in one of his family estates)

OTOH, I'm not obviously seeing anythign particularly hideous that he did on Wikipedia (albeit, there's some lovely stuff, and he was a colonel in the 1890s in Africa so I can't see that it's likely that he was a GOOD person, but maybe that in and of itself is enough, given that was was very obviously doing colonialism and imperialism at the very least), does anyone have specifics?

I'm not completely certain about this because I cant be bothered to boil my brain by reading too closely about it but I think there is no actual threat to the statue, the council decided to remove it just in case.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

kingturnip posted:

It is, occasionally, remarkable to me how much emotional energy people put into issues that are
A) utterly unrelated to their day-to-day lives; and
B) none of their loving business

The rest of the time, I'm just like "People are loving assholes"

I dunno man, Palestinian causes are unrelated to my day to day life and (arguably) none of my business but that doesn't mean I don't get emotional about it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Rustybear posted:

I'm not completely certain about this because I cant be bothered to boil my brain by reading too closely about it but I think there is no actual threat to the statue, the council decided to remove it in-case there was a threat made.
I wonder if that council is a conservative one? It sounds like exactly the kind of thing a canny publicist would do to fan the flames of the debate and energise their base - make a veiled threat about someone much more widely known and much more widely regarded as part of a good movement than a slaver who was honestly barely known outside of Bristol, and Rhodes.

I may be being paranoid, but if nobody has actually moved to remove the statue except the councilitself, it... seems likely.

Rustybear posted:

The only thing that could make this country any more dreary is an american-style culture war over loving Little Britain.

It was absolutely panned at the time! come fly with me also did exactly one series before getting cancelled for being aggressively poo poo.

Can the bbc just release the streaming figures showing exactly nobody was watching it on demand anyway and end me having to see Barry Sweetcorn (69) from Drizzle demanding the return of his favourite tv show Small Britain.

Come Fly With Me was on Radio 4 for like 6 series or something before it moved to TV IIRC.

I'd honestly be surprised if many of the people complaining havewatched it since it was first on, or even watched it at all.

I remember not watching it at the time because the jokes varied from poo poo to vaguely offensive to 'loving REALLY?!' and I was only just out of university when it came off the air.

Like many such right-wing movements, it seems like the outrage isn't about the subject of the action - most if not all of the people defending the Colston statue have never seen it except on reports about it being pulled down, and would never have seen it or known anything about who it represented - it's about the action itself, the perceived destruction of their past, which is actually just the removal of things which harm other people, which they don't want to question or remove from themselves.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I think the complaints about ARE HERATIGE and "destruction of the past" are largely disingenuous. Dave Gammon doesn't give a toss about a statue of a bloke he first heard of on Tuesday being taken down in a city he's never been to. It's a dog whistle for social justice and change carried out by loony lefties and uppity black people.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

quote:

One-third of people testing positive for coronavirus missed by test and trace system, figures reveal

The Department of Health and Social Care has now published its first set of statistics (pdf) about the operation of the new test and trace system.

Here are the key points flagged up by PA Media.

Some 5,407 (67%) out of 8,117 people who tested positive for Covid-19 between May 28 and June 3 provided details of recent contacts. The other 2,710 (33%) were not reached.

Of those people who were reached and asked to provide information about their contacts, just over three-quarters (79%) were contacted within 24 hours of their case being transferred to the test and trace system. Some 14% were contacted between 24 and 48 hours, 3% between 48 and 72 hours, and 4% were contacted after 72 hours.

From 31,794 contacts who were identified over the period, 26,985 (85%) were reached and advised to self-isolate, NHS figures reveal.

It is worth stressing, of course, that the system only went live on 28 May, and so these numbers may change over time.

quote:

Test and trace scheme 'not gold standard' yet, but will improve, says its boss, Dido Harding

Dido Harding, the Tory peer who runs the test and trace programme, has admitted that the system needs to improve.

Commenting on the first set of performance statistics for it published today (see 1.13pm), she told journalists:

We are not at the gold standard yet that we want to be, of isolating all contacts within 48 hours of someone requesting a test. But you can absolutely see the path of how we are going to get there.

She said the programme was “fit for purpose”. But it would improve, she said.

Just as the infection rate is coming down in the country, so is our capability to test and trace growing.

We have got real scale - this is a national-level service that has stood up in extraordinary time.

Is it completely perfect? No, of course it isn’t. Is there stuff that we all need to do better? Yes there is.

But I think it’s fit for purpose as we stand today and will get better through the summer.

it may not be gold-standard but presumably it must still be world-beating as it's after the 1st of June and as far as I'm aware Bono has not apologised for missing that goal?

e: my mistake he apparently sent raab out to redefine world beating as meaning "obviously not as good as all the people who've been doing it for longer where on earth did you get that idea :rolleyes:"

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1267030707089571843?s=20

XMNN fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 11, 2020

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Lord Ludikrous posted:

In a similar vein Mumsnet is absolutely furious with Daniel Radcliffe/Eddie Redmayne/Emma Watson etc for their comments regarding JK Rowling.

I can imagine.

How dare these actors have their own opinions! Don't they know they sold their souls to Rowling and now are contractually obligated to parrot her views?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

thespaceinvader posted:

Executing POWs who had surrendered on a guarantee of good treatment, twinning the Scouts with the Hitler Youth. Heck, even the creation of the Scouts was inspired by him having used children in military roles at Mafeking.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jedit posted:

Executing POWs who had surrendered on a guarantee of good treatment, twinning the Scouts with the Hitler Youth. Heck, even the creation of the Scouts was inspired by him having used children in military roles at Mafeking.

Oh is that why Hitler Youth was trending?

Fair enough, into the sea with it. it's even conveniently mounted within yeeting distance.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

BLM march in Newport is going well. For some reason a biker group had decided to defend the cenotaph despite the march going nowhere near it.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Wachter posted:

I think the complaints about ARE HERATIGE and "destruction of the past" are largely disingenuous. Dave Gammon doesn't give a toss about a statue of a bloke he first heard of on Tuesday being taken down in a city he's never been to. It's a dog whistle for social justice and change carried out by loony lefties and uppity black people.

I've been having a whale of a time in the last week or so as turns out that most of the people I know are either scumbags or cowards, but rather than the whole discussing issues and trying to find common ground I've just been telling people to get to gently caress, we should be tearing down Churchill's statue and WW2 wasn't that good actually. I like it when they accuse me of being a guardian reader or voting for Keir Starmer as those things are probably closer to their political outlooks than mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

XMNN posted:

it may not be gold-standard but presumably it must still be world-beating as it's after the 1st of June and as far as I'm aware Bono has not apologised for missing that goal?

e: my mistake he apparently sent raab out to redefine world beating as meaning "obviously not as good as all the people who've been doing it for longer where on earth did you get that idea :rolleyes:"

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1267030707089571843?s=20

To be the tiniest bit fair to someone that doesn't deserve fairness: The google/apple apps used elsewhere in the world are apparently not fit for purpose and almost useless. Now that doesn't mean our bodgejob that seems like its mainly for scraping personal data is going to be any better of course.