Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Grammarchist posted:

You know, I'm starting to think there are no stakes in this vampire story.

:nice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Look. This story gave us non-POV cullens to write fanfic about, and the author took care of writing the boring ones so we don't have to even think about them. What a service. It's like if Harry Potter had been about Argus Filch and Mrs. Norris.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

My eyes opened wider and the pain of the thirst receded, shock taking its place. Me? Hunt? With Edward? But… how? I didn’t know what to do.

He read the alarm in my expression and smiled encouragingly. “It’s quite easy, love. Instinctual. Don’t worry, I’ll show you.” When I didn’t move, he grinned his crooked smile and raised his eyebrows. “I was under the impression that you’d always wanted to see me hunt.”

I laughed in a short burst of humor (part of me listened in wonder to the pealing bell sound) as his words reminded me of cloudy human conversations. And then I took a whole second to run quickly through those first days with Edward—the true beginning of my life—in my head so that I would never forget them. I did not expect that it would be so uncomfortable to remember. Like trying to squint through muddy water. I knew from Rosalie’s experience that if I thought of my human memories enough, I would not lose them over time. I did not want to forget one minute I’d spent with Edward, even now, when eternity stretched in front of us. I would have to make sure those human memories were cemented into my infallible vampire mind.

Yes, that's definitely the lesson you should take from Rosalie's traumatic rape and murder: to remember your human memories as deeply as possible.

quote:

“Shall we?” Edward asked. He reached up to take the hand that was still at my neck. His fingers smoothed down the column of my throat. “I don’t want you to be hurting,” he added in a low murmur. Something I would not have been able to hear before.

“I’m fine,” I said out of lingering human habit. “Wait. First.”

What "lingering human habit"? Do vampires not say "fine"? Are vampires supposed to lose everything about their humanity within 2 minutes of opening their eyes?

quote:

There was so much. I’d never gotten to my questions. There were more important things than the ache.

It was Carlisle who spoke now. “Yes?”

“I want to see her. Renesmee.”

It was oddly difficult to say her name. My daughter; these words were even harder to think. It all seemed so distant. I tried to remember how I had felt three days ago, and automatically, my hands pulled free of Edward’s and dropped to my stomach.

Flat. Empty. I clutched at the pale silk that covered my skin, panicking again, while an insignificant part of my mind noted that Alice must have dressed me.

Ah, the pose of motherhood.

quote:

I knew there was nothing left inside me, and I faintly remembered the bloody removal scene, but the physical proof was still hard to process. All I knew was loving my little nudger inside of me. Outside of me, she seemed like something I must have imagined. A fading dream—a dream that was half nightmare.

Like this book!

quote:

While I wrestled with my confusion, I saw Edward and Carlisle exchange a guarded glance.

“What?” I demanded.

“Bella,” Edward said soothingly. “That’s not really a good idea. She’s half human, love. Her heart beats, and blood runs in her veins. Until your thirst is positively under control… You don’t want to put her in danger, do you?”

I frowned. Of course I must not want that.

Was I out of control? Confused, yes. Easily unfocused, yes. But dangerous? To her? My daughter?

I couldn’t be positive that the answer was no. So I would have to be patient. That sounded difficult. Because until I saw her again, she wouldn’t be real. Just a fading dream… of a stranger…

I'm sure this will actually turn out to be a problem and Meyer isn't just delaying the reveal to add more page time!

quote:

“Where is she?” I listened hard, and then I could hear the beating heart on the floor below me. I could hear more than one person breathing—quietly, like they were listening, too. There was also a fluttering sound, a thrumming, that I couldn’t place.…

And the sound of the heartbeat was so moist and appealing, that my mouth started watering.

So I would definitely have to learn how to hunt before I saw her. My stranger baby.

Expresses no horror or shock at wanting to eat her baby. Just...nothing.

quote:

“Is Rosalie with her?”

“Yes,” Edward answered in a clipped tone, and I could see that something he’d thought of upset him. I’d thought he and Rose were over their differences. Had the animosity erupted again? Before I could ask, he pulled my hands away from my flat stomach, tugging gently again.

“Wait,” I protested again, trying to focus. “What about Jacob? And Charlie? Tell me everything that I missed. How long was I… unconscious?”

Edward didn’t seem to notice my hesitation over the last word. Instead, he was exchanging another wary glance with Carlisle.

“What’s wrong?” I whispered.

“Nothing is wrong,” Carlisle told me, emphasizing the last word in a strange way. “Nothing has changed much, actually—you were only unaware for just over two days. It was very fast, as these things go. Edward did an excellent job. Quite innovative—the venom injection straight to your heart was his idea.” He paused to smile proudly at his son and then sighed. “Jacob is still here, and Charlie still believes that you are sick. He thinks you’re in Atlanta right now, undergoing tests at the CDC. We gave him a bad number, and he’s frustrated. He’s been speaking to Esme.”

Oh yeah, Charlie has spent this entire time terrified that his daughter is dying of some rare disease! Guess he just doesn't matter!

quote:

“I should call him…,” I murmured to myself, but, listening to my own voice, I understood the new difficulties. He wouldn’t recognize this voice. It wouldn’t reassure him. And then the earlier surprise intruded. “Hold on—Jacob is still here?

Clearly someone more important than your father.

quote:

Another glance between them.

“Bella,” Edward said quickly. “There’s much to discuss, but we should take care of you first. You have to be in pain.…”

When he pointed that out, I remembered the burn in my throat and swallowed convulsively. “But Jacob—”

No, please leave him out of this. Out of the entire book, in fact.

quote:

“We have all the time in the world for explanations, love,” he reminded me gently.

Of course. I could wait a little longer for the answer; it would be easier to listen when the fierce pain of the fiery thirst was no longer scattering my concentration. “Okay.”

“Wait, wait, wait,” Alice trilled from the doorway. She danced across the room, dreamily graceful. As with Edward and Carlisle, I felt some shock as I really looked at her face for the first time. So lovely. “You promised I could be there the first time! What if you two run past something reflective?”

“Alice—,” Edward protested.

“It will only take a second!” And with that, Alice darted from the room.

Edward sighed.

“What is she talking about?”

But Alice was already back, carrying the huge, gilt-framed mirror from Rosalie’s room, which was nearly twice as tall as she was, and several times as wide.

How are the vampires not played for comedy? Ever?

quote:

Jasper had been so still and silent that I’d taken no notice of him since he’d followed behind Carlisle. Now he moved again, to hover over Alice, his eyes locked on my expression. Because I was the danger here.

I knew he would be tasting the mood around me, too, and so he must have felt my jolt of shock as I studied his face, looking at it closely for the first time.

Through my sightless human eyes, the scars left from his former life with the newborn armies in the South had been mostly invisible. Only with a bright light to throw their slightly raised shapes into definition could I even make out their existence.

Now that I could see, the scars were Jasper’s most dominant feature. It was hard to take my eyes off his ravaged neck and jaw—hard to believe that even a vampire could have survived so many sets of teeth ripping into his throat.

So vampire venom still leaves scars on vampires. This means that all of Edward's bites when transforming Bella are going to be on her "flawless" body permanently.

quote:

Instinctively, I tensed to defend myself. Any vampire who saw Jasper would have had the same reaction. The scars were like a lighted billboard. Dangerous, they screamed. How many vampires had tried to kill Jasper? Hundreds? Thousands? The same number that had died in the attempt.

Jasper both saw and felt my assessment, my caution, and he smiled wryly.

You've known Jasper for over a year and now you're tensing up like he's going to kill you? Because he got in a lot of fights?

quote:

“Edward gave me grief for not getting you to a mirror before the wedding,” Alice said, pulling my attention away from her frightening lover. “I’m not going to be chewed out again.”

“Chewed out?” Edward asked skeptically, one eyebrow curving upward.

“Maybe I’m overstating things,” she murmured absently as she turned the mirror to face me.

“And maybe this has solely to do with your own voyeuristic gratification,” he countered.

Alice winked at him.

Bella is having hunger pangs that make her want to eat her own child.

quote:

I was only aware of this exchange with the lesser part of my concentration. The greater part was riveted on the person in the mirror.

My first reaction was an unthinking pleasure. The alien creature in the glass was indisputably beautiful, every bit as beautiful as Alice or Esme. She was fluid even in stillness, and her flawless face was pale as the moon against the frame of her dark, heavy hair. Her limbs were smooth and strong, skin glistening subtly, luminous as a pearl.

My second reaction was horror.

Who was she? At first glance, I couldn’t find my face anywhere in the smooth, perfect planes of her features.

And her eyes! Though I’d known to expect them, her eyes still sent a thrill of terror through me.

All the while I studied and reacted, her face was perfectly composed, a carving of a goddess, showing nothing of the turmoil roiling inside me.

Yes, that's the best Meyer can come up with for what a vampire transformation does. "Oh, it just makes you look perfect and pale!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4LqPLHltkY

The movie inevitably ran into this problem. While Kristen Stewart might not be a goddess, she's a conventionally attractive young woman in standard film set makeup. When she has to check herself out in the mirror, she just looks like she always does when given makeup and a hair stylist.

quote:

And then her full lips moved.

“The eyes?” I whispered, unwilling to say my eyes. “How long?"

“They’ll darken up in a few months,” Edward said in a soft, comforting voice. “Animal blood dilutes the color more quickly than a diet of human blood. They’ll turn amber first, then gold.”

My eyes would blaze like vicious red flames for months?

You were told this! We already knew about this!

According to Das Sporking, many of the continuity problems come from the recycling of the Forever Dawn sequel into Breaking Dawn after Meyer expanded her one-off bored housewife experiment into a series. Little to no planning was done in advance, resulting in a series that's basically off-the-cuff improvisations stacked on top of one another until this one. The rules about newborn vampires simply didn't exist until Meyer thought them up for Eclipse, and now she's trying (and failing) to keep straight everything that was established in prior books as she reuses her original sequel plans.

quote:

“Months?” My voice was higher now, stressed. In the mirror, the perfect eyebrows lifted incredulously above her glowing crimson eyes—brighter than any I’d ever seen before.

Jasper took a step forward, alarmed by the intensity of my sudden anxiety. He knew young vampires only too well; did this emotion presage some misstep on my part?

No one answered my question. I looked away, to Edward and Alice. Both their eyes were slightly unfocused—reacting to Jasper’s unease. Listening to its cause, looking ahead to the immediate future.

I took another deep, unnecessary breath.

Please learn to do different things when writing.

quote:

“No, I’m fine,” I promised them. My eyes flickered to the stranger in the mirror and back. “It’s just… a lot to take in.”

Jasper’s brow furrowed, highlighting the two scars over his left eye.

“I don’t know,” Edward murmured.

The woman in the mirror frowned.

Stop referring to yourself in third person!

quote:

“What question did I miss?”

Edward grinned. “Jasper wonders how you’re doing it.”

“Doing what?”

“Controlling your emotions, Bella,” Jasper answered. “I’ve never seen a newborn do that—stop an emotion in its tracks that way. You were upset, but when you saw our concern, you reined it in, regained power over yourself. I was prepared to help, but you didn’t need it.”

I know this is something that has never been established before, but I'm laughing at the idea that they're just surprised that specifically Bella is able to react to something without throwing a tantrum for once.

quote:

“Is that wrong?” I asked. My body automatically froze as I waited for his verdict.

“No,” he said, but his voice was unsure.

Edward stroked his hand down my arm, as if encouraging me to thaw. “It’s very impressive, Bella, but we don’t understand it. We don’t know how long it can hold.”

I considered that for a portion of a second. At any moment, would I snap? Turn into a monster?

Of course not! That might actually create legitimate drama and conflict instead of giving you everything you want unconditionally!

quote:

I couldn’t feel it coming on.… Maybe there was no way to anticipate such a thing.

“But what do you think?” Alice asked, a little impatient now, pointing to the mirror.

“I’m not sure,” I hedged, not wanting to admit how frightened I really was.

I stared at the beautiful woman with the terrifying eyes, looking for pieces of me. There was something there in the shape of her lips—if you looked past the dizzying beauty, it was true that her upper lip was slightly out of balance, a bit too full to match the lower. Finding this familiar little flaw made me feel a tiny bit better. Maybe the rest of me was in there, too.

quote:

I raised my hand experimentally, and the woman in the mirror copied the movement, touching her face, too. Her crimson eyes watched me warily.

Edward sighed.

Even he's getting bored with this.

quote:

I turned away from her to look at him, raising one eyebrow.

“Disappointed?” I asked, my ringing voice impassive.

He laughed. “Yes,” he admitted.

I felt the shock break through the composed mask on my face, followed instantly by the hurt.

Alice snarled. Jasper leaned forward again, waiting for me to snap.

Do vampires just get animal noises as one of their instincts?

quote:

But Edward ignored them and wrapped his arms tightly around my newly frozen form, pressing his lips against my cheek. “I was rather hoping that I’d be able to hear your mind, now that it is more similar to my own,” he murmured. “And here I am, as frustrated as ever, wondering what could possibly be going on inside your head.”

I felt better at once.

“Oh well,” I said lightly, relieved that my thoughts were still my own. “I guess my brain will never work right. At least I’m pretty.”

....I got nothing.

quote:

It was becoming easier to joke with him as I adjusted, to think in straight lines. To be myself.

Edward growled in my ear. “Bella, you have never been merely pretty.”

Then his face pulled away from mine, and he sighed. “All right, all right,” he said to someone.

“What?” I asked.

“You’re making Jasper more edgy by the second. He may relax a little when you’ve hunted.”

"He's just desperate for something to happen except you staring at how hot you are."

quote:

I looked at Jasper’s worried expression and nodded. I didn’t want to snap here, if that was coming. Better to be surrounded by trees than family.

“Okay. Let’s hunt,” I agreed, a thrill of nerves and anticipation making my stomach quiver. I unwrapped Edward’s arms from around me, keeping one of his hands, and turned my back on the strange and beautiful woman in the mirror.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Oh no, one of her lips is fuller than the other. Her worst flaw is apparently looking like Scarlett Johansson.

What happens to people who are uglier than Bella "my lips are too big and I'm slender but not bony" Swan? Would a Mama June become a Charlize Theron? Would a Steve Buscemi turn into a George Clooney? The fact that she lost her pregnancy weight immediately and can't recognize her face seems to point towards vampires instantly becoming the standard Western ideal of beauty.

Now I'm imagining some Paleolithic vampire being horrified that they're suddenly thin and white.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hyperhazard posted:

Oh no, one of her lips is fuller than the other. Her worst flaw is apparently looking like Scarlett Johansson.

What happens to people who are uglier than Bella "my lips are too big and I'm slender but not bony" Swan? Would a Mama June become a Charlize Theron? Would a Steve Buscemi turn into a George Clooney? The fact that she lost her pregnancy weight immediately and can't recognize her face seems to point towards vampires instantly becoming the standard Western ideal of beauty.

Now I'm imagining some Paleolithic vampire being horrified that they're suddenly thin and white.

We actually got the answer to that in James, who was canonically very ugly as a human and becoming a vampire has made him look completely average and unassuming. There's no explanation as to how he changed, only that he did. Details are hard.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Jasper's hanging out by a door with a giant neon sign that says "PLOT" pinwheeling his arms like a baseball coach telling a runner to shoot for home.

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
“I guess my brain will never work right. At least I’m pretty.”

How the hell can you write this line and then claim with a straight face to be empowering women?

Also, can we get the term Mary Sue changed to Bella Swan? These last few updates have been absolutely painful to read.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

hyperhazard posted:

That would be a great short story - following a vampire through the ages as they struggle with being physically changeless, struggling to keep up as society changes to consider them grotesque nosferatu, to aesthetic ideals, and back again.

It reminds me of an early Anita Blake novel that had a Neanderthal vampire in modern times. She hosed that premise up too, to no one's surprise.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

chitoryu12 posted:

According to Das Sporking, many of the continuity problems come from the recycling of the Forever Dawn sequel into Breaking Dawn after Meyer expanded her one-off bored housewife experiment into a series.

Hey, not to be an rear end in a top hat or anything, but this isn't the first time you've referred to Meyer as a 'housewife' and I've seen it brought up a lot over the years, usually in a dismissive way. I don't love it to be honest. None of the books' problems have much to do with her being a woman who doesn't have a job outside the house, do they? There's plenty that sucks about them but is this really one of those things?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I think it's more a reference to the mindset than specifically what she does. She seems to be a Mormon woman who fully embraces being a housewife, as in a married mother who cares for her man and children, as the be all and end all of womanhood. Anything else she does is effectively hung around that self image.

It definitely can be taken as dismissive of women for doing the kind of role they're very much encouraged to do by society though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MrNemo posted:

I think it's more a reference to the mindset than specifically what she does. She seems to be a Mormon woman who fully embraces being a housewife, as in a married mother who cares for her man and children, as the be all and end all of womanhood. Anything else she does is effectively hung around that self image.

It's this. Meyer dutifully did the Mormon thing and married at 21, then retired to become a full-time mom at 24. She had only held a single job in her entire life and did extremely little writing before Twilight. She idealizes the concept of motherhood to the point where her "strong female protagonist" consistently picks the choices that allows her to fulfill the role of mother, graduating to placing motherhood on a pedestal. The series is barely disguised wish fulfillment fantasy, with the ultimate wish being "I get the same life of motherhood I do now but I'm also super hot, wealthy, and immortal."

I briefly brought up Forever Dawn earlier in the thread, the original sequel to Twilight. Remember that Twilight was a stand-alone story written for fun, with no intent to be published. It's safe to assume that virtually nothing that wasn't on paper in the first book existed even in her mind at the time. She began writing a sequel while Twilight was still being shopped around, again purely for the hell of it. She was about 300 pages in when she got word that Twilight had been accepted for publication, and then her publishers wanted her to write proper sequels. While Forever Dawn has never seen the light of day except in a few excerpts and a plot synopsis, it would be recycled into the end of the series.

The plot of Forever Dawn is broadly the same as Breaking Dawn. Because it skips straight to the wedding, however, none of the events of New Moon or Eclipse occurred in this continuity. While the reveal of the Quileute as werewolves still occurs, Jacob remains on the periphery because Edward never left and thus Bella never got the urge to go wild and establish her friendship with Jacob, setting the stage for his repeated sexual assaults that Meyer tries to frame as a "love triangle". Most of the werewolves don't even get names, let alone personalities. Victoria is still around and serves as the final villain, while Laurent actually joins the Cullens in the climax. Because Jacob is relatively unimportant, there's no perspective change and we remain with Bella through the entire pregnancy. He still imprints on Renesmee, but a few weeks later instead of during the birth (this will be important).

What ended up happening is that Meyer was really attached to the ending of her story. It was destined that Bella would get married and have a child, and nothing was going to stand in her way even as she wrote two other books. This results in an epic number of plot threads being dropped and foreshadowing leading to nothing happening. She did two books trying to fill in all the gaps, but couldn't commit to a different ending so she just ignores a lot of what gets written when it interferes. This book will be far more frustrating and aggravating than you expect.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4LqPLHltkY

The movie inevitably ran into this problem. While Kristen Stewart might not be a goddess, she's a conventionally attractive young woman in standard film set makeup. When she has to check herself out in the mirror, she just looks like she always does when given makeup and a hair stylist.

Once again, more chemistry in like 20 seconds than this entire goddamn chapter.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 21: First Hunt

quote:

"The window?" I asked, staring two stories down.

I’d never really been afraid of heights per se, but being able to see all the details with such clarity made the prospect less appealing. The angles of the rocks below were sharper than I would have imagined them.

You are invulnerable to injury.

quote:

Edward smiled. “It’s the most convenient exit. If you’re frightened, I can carry you.”

“We have all eternity, and you’re worried about the time it would take to walk to the back door?”

He frowned slightly. “Renesmee and Jacob are downstairs.…”

“Oh.”

Right. I was the monster now. I had to keep away from scents that might trigger my wild side. From the people that I loved in particular. Even the ones I didn’t really know yet.

Okay but she can already smell everything and this book has done a great job establishing that she's no risk at all and has an impossible level of control.

quote:

“Is Renesmee… okay… with Jacob there?” I whispered. I realized belatedly that it must have been Jacob’s heart I’d heard below. I listened hard again, but I could only hear the one steady pulse. “He doesn’t like her much.”

Edward’s lips tightened in an odd way. “Trust me, she is perfectly safe. I know exactly what Jacob is thinking.”

"It's probably the most horrifying mind reading I've ever performed and I might never recover."

quote:

“Of course,” I murmured, and looked at the ground again.

“Stalling?” he challenged.

“A little. I don’t know how.…”

You backflipped off the table a few minutes ago.

quote:

And I was very conscious of my family behind me, watching silently. Mostly silently. Emmett had already chuckled under his breath once. One mistake, and he’d be rolling on the floor. Then the jokes about the world’s only clumsy vampire would start.…

We all know that would never happen, as it would make the book too interesting.

quote:

Also, this dress—that Alice must have put me in sometime when I was too lost in the burning to notice—was not what I would have picked out for either jumping or hunting. Tightly fitted ice-blue silk? What did she think I would need it for? Was there a cocktail party later?

Okay maybe someone should have intervened with Alice at some point.

quote:

“Watch me,” Edward said. And then, very casually, he stepped out of the tall, open window and fell.

I watched carefully, analyzing the angle at which he bent his knees to absorb the impact. The sound of his landing was very low—a muted thud that could have been a door softly closed, or a book gently laid on a table.

Vampires wouldn't need to absorb the impact, though? They could drop from the roof of a skyscraper and barely notice.

quote:

It didn’t look hard.

Clenching my teeth as I concentrated, I tried to copy his casual step into empty air.

Ha! The ground seemed to move toward me so slowly that it was nothing at all to place my feet—what shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She’d lost her mind—to place my silly shoes exactly right so that landing was no different than stepping one foot forward on a flat surface.

Alice why did you do this.

quote:

I absorbed the impact in the balls of my feet, not wanting to snap off the thin heels. My landing seemed just as quiet as his. I grinned at him.

“Right. Easy.”

He smiled back. “Bella?”

“Yes?”

“That was quite graceful—even for a vampire.”

This is downright masturbatory now.

quote:

I considered that for a moment, and then I beamed. If he’d just been saying that, then Emmett would have laughed. No one found his remark humorous, so it must have been true. It was the first time anyone had ever applied the word graceful to me in my entire life… or, well, existence anyway.

Thank you, Meyer. Never could have gotten the intended meaning of that statement without Bella carefully explaining it.

quote:

Thank you,” I told him.

And then I hooked the silver satin shoes off my feet one by one and lobbed them together back through the open window. A little too hard, maybe, but I heard someone catch them before they could damage the paneling.

Alice grumbled, “Her fashion sense hasn’t improved as much as her balance.”

Do you hunt in stilettos, Alice?

quote:

Edward took my hand—I couldn’t stop marveling at the smoothness, the comfortable temperature of his skin—and darted through the backyard to the edge of the river. I went along with him effortlessly.

Everything physical seemed very simple.

Who needs a character having to learn how to do anything when you can just give them superpowers and make them hyper competent in the last half of the book?

quote:

“Are we swimming?” I asked him when we stopped beside the water.

“And ruin your pretty dress? No. We’re jumping.”

I pursed my lips, considering. The river was about fifty yards wide here.

“You first,” I said.

He touched my cheek, took two quick backward strides, and then ran back those two steps, launching himself from a flat stone firmly embedded in the riverbank. I studied the flash of movement as he arced over the water, finally turning a somersault just before he disappeared into the thick trees on the other side of the river.

“Show-off,” I muttered, and heard his invisible laugh.

I backed up five paces, just in case, and took a deep breath.

So realistically, this should be really hard. Her vampiric powers and reflexes should be giving her a ton of trouble with performing even simple tasks like walking around the house. Remember how she reflexively backflipped across a room and hugged Edward until she hurt him? She's now having to accurately judge a leap well over 10 times longer than she would be making as a human without landing in the river or crashing into a tree.

quote:

Suddenly, I was anxious again. Not about falling or getting hurt—I was more worried about the forest getting hurt.

It had come on slowly, but I could feel it now—the raw, massive strength thrilling in my limbs. I was suddenly sure that if I wanted to tunnel under the river, to claw or beat my way straight through the bedrock, it wouldn’t take me very long. The objects around me—the trees, the shrubs, the rocks… the house—had all begun to look very fragile.

I think "trilling" is the word you were going for, Meyer.

quote:

Hoping very much that Esme was not particularly fond of any specific trees across the river, I began my first stride. And then stopped when the tight satin split six inches up my thigh. Alice!

Well, Alice always seemed to treat clothes as if they were disposable and meant for one-time usage, so she shouldn’t mind this. I bent to carefully grasp the hem at the undamaged right seam between my fingers and, exerting the tiniest amount of pressure possible, I ripped the dress open to the top of my thigh. Then I fixed the other side to match.

Much better.

Meyer is really bad at making Alice not seem like a bizarre alien pretending to be a human.

quote:

I could hear the muffled laughter in the house, and even the sound of someone gritting her teeth. The laughter came from upstairs and down, and I very easily recognized the much different, rough, throaty chuckle from the first floor.

So Jacob was watching, too? I couldn’t imagine what he was thinking now, or what he was still doing here. I’d envisioned our reunion—if he could ever forgive me—taking place far in the future, when I was more stable, and time had healed the wounds I’d inflicted in his heart.

Please stop talking like he didn't deserve whatever poo poo he went through.

quote:

I didn’t turn to look at him now, wary of my mood swings. It wouldn’t be good to let any emotion take too strong a hold on my frame of mind. Jasper’s fears had me on edge, too. I had to hunt before I dealt with anything else. I tried to forget everything else so I could concentrate.

“Bella?” Edward called from the woods, his voice moving closer. “Do you want to watch again?”

But I remembered everything perfectly, of course, and I didn’t want to give Emmett a reason to find more humor in my education. This was physical—it should be instinctive. So I took a deep breath and ran for the river.

But...why should it be instinctive? Did becoming a vampire just rewrite your whole brain, suppress all of your learned human instincts and muscle memory, and replace them with new ones perfectly suited to vampire levels of strength, speed, and reflexes?

I'm sure Stephenie Meyer would never be so egregious in her wish fulfillment fantasy as to make vampirism an automatic Mary Sue power granter, right?

quote:

Unhindered by my skirt, it took only one long bound to reach the water’s edge. Just an eighty-fourth of a second, and yet it was plenty of time—my eyes and my mind moved so quickly that one step was enough. It was simple to position my right foot just so against the flat stone and exert the adequate pressure to send my body wheeling up into the air. I was paying more attention to aim than force, and I erred on the amount of power necessary—but at least I didn’t err on the side that would have gotten me wet. The fifty yard width was slightly too easy a distance.…

It was a strange, giddy, electrifying thing, but a short thing. An entire second had yet to pass, and I was across.

I was expecting the close-packed trees to be a problem, but they were surprisingly helpful. It was a simple matter to reach out with one sure hand as I fell back toward the earth again deep inside the forest and catch myself on a convenient branch; I swung lightly from the limb and landed on my toes, still fifteen feet from the ground on the wide bough of a Sitka spruce.

It was fabulous.

Oh, no. She just does perfectly every time. Nothing has to be earned.

quote:

Over the sound of my peals of delighted laughter, I could hear Edward racing to find me. My jump had been twice as long as his. When he reached my tree, his eyes were wide. I leaped nimbly from the branch to his side, soundlessly landing again on the balls of my feet.

“Was that good?” I wondered, my breathing accelerated with excitement.

“Very good.” He smiled approvingly, but his casual tone didn’t match the surprised expression in his eyes.

“Can we do it again?”

“Focus, Bella—we’re on a hunting trip.” “

Oh, right.” I nodded. “Hunting.”

“Follow me… if you can.” He grinned, his expression suddenly taunting, and broke into a run.

Oh, well I'm sure that will be the first thing that Edward does that Bella doesn't beat him in!

quote:

He was faster than me. I couldn’t imagine how he moved his legs with such blinding speed, but it was beyond me. However, I was stronger, and every stride of mine matched the length of three of his. And so I flew with him through the living green web, by his side, not following at all. As I ran, I couldn’t help laughing quietly at the thrill of it; the laughter neither slowed me nor upset my focus.

I could finally understand why Edward never hit the trees when he ran—a question that had always been a mystery to me. It was a peculiar sensation, the balance between the speed and the clarity. For, while I rocketed over, under, and through the thick jade maze at a rate that should have reduced everything around me to a streaky green blur, I could plainly see each tiny leaf on all the small branches of every insignificant shrub that I passed.

Twilight vampires might be some of the most overpowered in fiction. In addition to their strength and senses, they're instantly born with perfect clarity and the ability to perfectly filter out everything unnecessary despite being able to hear and see for miles and see into the entire color spectrum while maintaining clear vision. They're basically gods, and it actually calls into question the ability of the Quileute to adequately combat them at all. We see it happening on the page, but realistically they should be worthless against beings this powerful.

quote:

The wind of my speed blew my hair and my torn dress out behind me, and, though I knew it shouldn’t, it felt warm against my skin. Just as the rough forest floor shouldn’t feel like velvet beneath my bare soles, and the limbs that whipped against my skin shouldn’t feel like caressing feathers.

The forest was much more alive than I’d ever known—small creatures whose existence I’d never guessed at teemed in the leaves around me. They all grew silent after we passed, their breath quickening in fear. The animals had a much wiser reaction to our scent than humans seemed to. Certainly, it’d had the opposite effect on me.

I kept waiting to feel winded, but my breath came effortlessly. I waited for the burn to begin in my muscles, but my strength only seemed to increase as I grew accustomed to my stride. My leaping bounds stretched longer, and soon he was trying to keep up with me. I laughed again, exultant, when I heard him falling behind. My naked feet touched the ground so infrequently now it felt more like flying than running.

Through becoming a Mormon, all is clear!

quote:

“Bella,” he called dryly, his voice even, lazy. I could hear nothing else; he had stopped.

I briefly considered mutiny.

But, with a sigh, I whirled and skipped lightly to his side, some hundred yards back. I looked at him expectantly. He was smiling, with one eyebrow raised. He was so beautiful that I could only stare.

It's been enough pages. You can stop writing that now.

quote:

“Did you want to stay in the country?” he asked, amused. “Or were you planning to continue on to Canada this afternoon?”

“This is fine,” I agreed, concentrating less on what he was saying and more on the mesmerizing way his lips moved when he spoke. It was hard not to become sidetracked with everything fresh in my strong new eyes. “What are we hunting?”

“Elk. I thought something easy for your first time…” He trailed off when my eyes narrowed at the word easy.

"Doesn't he know I'm perfect and can do anything?"

quote:

But I wasn’t going to argue; I was too thirsty. As soon as I’d started to think about the dry burn in my throat, it was all I could think about. Definitely getting worse. My mouth felt like four o’clock on a June afternoon in Death Valley.

“Where?” I asked, scanning the trees impatiently. Now that I had given the thirst my attention, it seemed to taint every other thought in my head, leaking into the more pleasant thoughts of running and Edward’s lips and kissing and… scorching thirst. I couldn’t get away from it.

“Hold still for a minute,” he said, putting his hands lightly on my shoulders. The urgency of my thirst receded momentarily at his touch.

“Now close your eyes,” he murmured. When I obeyed, he raised his hands to my face, stroking my cheekbones. I felt my breathing speed and waited briefly again for the blush that wouldn’t come.

“Listen,” Edward instructed. “What do you hear?”

Everything, I could have said; his perfect voice, his breath, his lips brushing together as he spoke, the whisper of birds preening their feathers in the treetops, their fluttering heartbeats, the maple leaves scraping together, the faint clicking of ants following each other in a long line up the bark of the nearest tree. But I knew he meant something specific, so I let my ears range outward, seeking something different than the small hum of life that surrounded me. There was an open space near us—the wind had a different sound across the exposed grass—and a small creek, with a rocky bed. And there, near the noise of the water, was the splash of lapping tongues, the loud thudding of heavy hearts, pumping thick streams of blood.…

Shouldn't she also hear the heart of every other animal and human in the forest?

quote:

It felt like the sides of my throat had sucked closed.

“By the creek, to the northeast?” I asked, my eyes still shut.

I see vampirism has also given her a perfect internal compass, when she previously could barely navigate with GPS.

quote:

“Yes.” His tone was approving. “Now… wait for the breeze again and… what do you smell?”

Mostly him—his strange honey-lilac-and-sun perfume. But also the rich, earthy smell of rot and moss, the resin in the evergreens, the warm, almost nutty aroma of the small rodents cowering beneath the tree roots. And then, reaching out again, the clean smell of the water, which was surprisingly unappealing despite my thirst. I focused toward the water and found the scent that must have gone with the lapping noise and the pounding heart. Another warm smell, rich and tangy, stronger than the others. And yet nearly as unappealing as the brook. I wrinkled my nose.

He chuckled. “I know—it takes some getting used to.”

At this rate, I doubt that.

quote:

“Three?” I guessed.

“Five. There are two more in the trees behind them.”

“What do I do now?”

His voice sounded like he was smiling. “What do you feel like doing?”

I thought about that, my eyes still shut as I listened and breathed in the scent. Another bout of baking thirst intruded on my awareness, and suddenly the warm, tangy odor wasn’t quite so objectionable. At least it would be something hot and wet in my desiccated mouth. My eyes snapped open.

“Don’t think about it,” he suggested as he lifted his hands off my face and took a step back. “Just follow your instincts.”

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Alice is just the best.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Gotta admit, hiking through the woods and happening upon a woman in a very expensive dress and high heels devouring a 500-pound elk would be horrifying. It'd actually be interesting if Bella got herself witnessed during a feeding frenzy and had to deal with that situation.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grammarchist posted:

Gotta admit, hiking through the woods and happening upon a woman in a very expensive dress and high heels devouring a 500-pound elk would be horrifying. It'd actually be interesting if Bella got herself witnessed during a feeding frenzy and had to deal with that situation.

It would, wouldn't it?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I hate the plot device where a heroine is in an outfit that just happens to rip the right way. Oh no, Padme was hit by a chain (??) and the bottom of her shirt was torn off. Oh no, Bella had someone put her in stilettos (lol) and a flimsy dress and has no choice but to rip it to mid thigh in order to walk.

It's ok to have a female character dress sexy and confident! You don't need to come up with excuses for how she got that way!

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
it really takes a lot of the teeth out of a good vampire story when the vampires don't prey on peoples

i blame joss whedon for this bullshit

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bella is just so special that I predict she'll be able to feed without killing and her victims will also enjoy it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If Alice could still see Bella's future when Renesmee was out of her, was she able to predict that Bella would need to go hunting and thus put her in a skintight cocktail dress and stiletto heels on purpose?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

If Alice could still see Bella's future when Renesmee was out of her, was she able to predict that Bella would need to go hunting and thus put her in a skintight cocktail dress and stiletto heels on purpose?

Yes, with weakened seams.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Midjack posted:

Bella is just so special that I predict she'll be able to feed without killing and her victims will also enjoy it.

Not possible in the fiction. You don't kill the victim and they turn into a vampire in 3 days.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Victorkm posted:

Not possible in the fiction. You don't kill the victim and they turn into a vampire in 3 days.

But she’s BELLA SWAN, the most beautiful, powerful, and self-possessed vampire ever to vamp.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Leah is going to be gazing into the mouth of madness the next time she links with Jacob telepathically.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Grammarchist posted:

Leah is going to be gazing into the mouth of madness the next time she links with Jacob telepathically.

By these guys, I am loathed
Yet realize that I still know
That her face, arouses Jake
Our pack is his disgrace
Newborn babe, creepy wretch,
'Neath the black her dad looks dead
Think my name through your dream
And you'll hear me scream again

Black wolf's son
Why'd you come
Now I wash my brain again
Black wolf's son
Why'd you come
Why'd you come (please don't come)

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Victorkm posted:

To be fair, it was possible in the first book when both James and Edward drank from Bella without killing or turning her.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
only possible because of the power of twue wuv

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

I let myself drift with the scent, barely aware of my movement as I ghosted down the incline to the narrow meadow where the stream flowed. My body shifted forward automatically into a low crouch as I hesitated at the fern-fringed edge of the trees. I could see a big bull, two dozen antler points crowning his head, at the stream’s edge, and the shadow-spotted shapes of the four others heading eastward into forest at a leisurely pace.

I wonder if the Cullens ever wear Realtree.

quote:

I centered myself around the scent of the male, the hot spot in his shaggy neck where the warmth pulsed strongest. Only thirty yards—two or three bounds—between us. I tensed myself for the first leap.

But as my muscles bunched in preparation, the wind shifted, blowing stronger now, and from the south. I didn’t stop to think, hurtling out of the trees in a path perpendicular to my original plan, scaring the elk into the forest, racing after a new fragrance so attractive that there wasn’t a choice. It was compulsory.

Keep in mind how strong Bella's instincts were here.

quote:

The scent ruled completely. I was single-minded as I traced it, aware only of the thirst and the smell that promised to quench it. The thirst got worse, so painful now that it confused all my other thoughts and began to remind me of the burn of venom in my veins.

There was only one thing that had any chance of penetrating my focus now, an instinct more powerful, more basic than the need to quench the fire—it was the instinct to protect myself from danger. Self-preservation.

Canonically, Victoria's vampire power was super-self-preservation. Turns out it's not just magic, but an actual instinct that gets embedded flawlessly in vampires when they're born!

quote:

I was suddenly alert to the fact that I was being followed. The pull of the irresistible scent warred with the impulse to turn and defend my hunt. A bubble of sound built in my chest, my lips pulled back of their own accord to expose my teeth in warning. My feet slowed, the need to protect my back struggling against the desire to quench my thirst.

And then I could hear my pursuer gaining, and defense won. As I spun, the rising sound ripped its way up my throat and out.

The feral snarl, coming from my own mouth, was so unexpected that it brought me up short. It unsettled me, and it cleared my head for a second—the thirst-driven haze receded, though the thirst burned on.

Also vampires get random animal noises and instinctual hissing as part of the package, I guess.

quote:

The wind shifted, blowing the smell of wet earth and coming rain across my face, further freeing me from the other scent’s fiery grip—a scent so delicious it could only be human.

The smell of human blood was so strong that it caused Bella to instinctively go flying through the forest with full intent of slaughtering the first man she saw. She was taken out of the house specifically because of a fear that she would try to eat her own daughter (and/or Jacob, presumably)...but she didn't have this reaction then.

So we have two options here: either Bella's instincts will turn off and on at will as the plot demands, or Renesmee and Jacob don't trigger the feeding instinct at all and (as usual) it was all for nothing.

quote:

Edward hesitated a few feet away, his arms raised as if to embrace me—or restrain me. His face was intent and cautious as I froze, horrified.

I realized that I had been about to attack him. With a hard jerk, I straightened out of my defensive crouch. I held my breath as I refocused, fearing the power of the fragrance swirling up from the south.

I mean...would it be that bad of a thing to happen?

quote:

He could see reason return to my face, and he took a step toward me, lowering his arms.

“I have to get away from here,” I spit through my teeth, using the breath I had.

Oh, that's another thing. Vampires don't need to breathe except for smelling and faking being human. But wouldn't they still need air to speak, and thus be breathing constantly whenever they were having a conversation?

quote:

Shock crossed his face. “Can you leave?”

I didn’t have time to ask him what he meant by that. I knew the ability to think clearly would last only as long as I could stop myself from thinking of—

I burst into a run again, a flat-out sprint straight north, concentrating solely on the uncomfortable feeling of sensory deprivation that seemed to be my body’s only response to the lack of air. My one goal was to run far enough away that the scent behind me would be completely lost. Impossible to find, even if I changed my mind…

Once again, I was aware of being followed, but I was sane this time. I fought the instinct to breathe—to use the flavors in the air to be sure it was Edward. I didn’t have to fight long; though I was running faster than I ever had before, shooting like a comet through the straightest path I could find in the trees; Edward caught up with me after a short minute.

Maybe this is why it's so hard for vampires to form covens. When they get in a mood, their instincts cause them to randomly lash out at each other.

quote:

A new thought occurred to me, and I stopped dead, my feet planted. I was sure it must be safe here, but I held my breath just in case.

Edward blew past me, surprised by my sudden freeze. He wheeled around and was at my side in a second. He put his hands on my shoulders and stared into my eyes, shock still the dominant emotion on his face.

“How did you do that?” he demanded.

“You let me beat you before, didn’t you?” I demanded back, ignoring his question. And I’d thought I’d been doing so well!

When I opened my mouth, I could taste the air—it was unpolluted now, with no trace of the compelling perfume to torment my thirst. I took a cautious breath.

He shrugged and shook his head, refusing to be deflected. “Bella, how did you do it?”

“Run away? I held my breath.”

“But how did you stop hunting?”

Granted, Edward does have a unique issue among the Cullens with killing people.

quote:

“When you came up behind me… I’m so sorry about that.”

“Why are you apologizing to me? I’m the one who was horribly careless. I assumed no one would be so far from the trails, but I should have checked first. Such a stupid mistake! You have nothing to apologize for.”

“But I growled at you!” I was still horrified that I was physically capable of such blasphemy.

Okay, that might be the most overwrought line in this thing.

quote:

“Of course you did. That’s only natural. But I can’t understand how you ran away.”

“What else could I do?” I asked. His attitude confused me—what did he want to have happened? “It might have been someone I know!”

He startled me, suddenly bursting into a spasm of loud laughter, throwing his head back and letting the sound echo off the trees.

"Like that's ever stopped me before!"

quote:

“Why are you laughing at me?”

He stopped at once, and I could see he was wary again.

Keep it under control, I thought to myself. I had to watch my temper. Just like I was a young werewolf rather than a vampire.

Because Bella "cried and screamed about going to prom" Swan has never had a temper problem before?

quote:

“I’m not laughing at you, Bella. I’m laughing because I am in shock. And I am in shock because I am completely amazed.”

“Why?”

“You shouldn’t be able to do any of this. You shouldn’t be so… so rational. You shouldn’t be able to stand here discussing this with me calmly and coolly. And, much more than any of that, you should not have been able to break off mid-hunt with the scent of human blood in the air. Even mature vampires have difficulty with that—we’re always very careful of where we hunt so as not to put ourselves in the path of temptation. Bella, you’re behaving like you’re decades rather than days old.”

There you have it, folks. Bella Swan is the most perfectest of all perfect vampires. She's granted instant control over all of her abilities and can shut down her feeding instincts flawlessly within minutes of being turned.

All the worry about her as a newborn? Every scrap of paper dedicated to talking about how scary she'll be, how she'll have to sacrifice so much, how she'll be dangerous to her friends and family? No. It was all for nothing. You wasted all of your time reading that and you will never get it back.

quote:

“Oh.” But I’d known it was going to be hard. That was why I’d been so on guard. I’d been expecting it to be difficult.

So were we! You spent multiple books building up to this! But it would just be too hard for Meyer to give her self-insert Mary Sue a single shred of legitimate difficulty in her life, wouldn't it? She has to show up to a new town, have everyone fawn over her while insisting she's totally plain and boring (which she actually is), get two hot supernatural guys obsessing over her, become the center of attention for seemingly the entire supernatural world despite doing nothing but existing nearby, have her half-vampire pregnancy turn out to be a perfect child with no issues, and become a hot immortal vampire who instantly has none of the flaws any vampire does so she never has any development, learning, or any reaction from other vampires except fawning over her perfection.

quote:

He put his hands on my face again, and his eyes were full of wonder. “What wouldn’t I give to be able to see into your mind for just this one moment.”

Such powerful emotions. I’d been prepared for the thirst part, but not this. I’d been so sure it wouldn’t be the same when he touched me. Well, truthfully, it wasn’t the same.

It was stronger.

So, uh, it really is the power of true love that lets her conquer everything the plot said should be happening.

quote:

I reached up to trace the planes of his face; my fingers lingered on his lips.

“I thought I wouldn’t feel this way for a long time?” My uncertainty made the words a question. “But I still want you.”

He blinked in shock. “How can you even concentrate on that? Aren’t you unbearably thirsty?”

Horny so powerful it transcends supernatural transformations.

quote:

Of course I was now, now that he’d brought it up again!

I tried to swallow and then sighed, closing my eyes like I had before to help me concentrate. I let my senses range out around me, tensed this time in case of another onslaught of the delicious taboo scent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB-a6fmj21U

This is one of the few scenes the film actually makes worse than the book. Instead of just chasing after unseen hikers, we see Bella actually come across a rock climber who severely gashes himself. It makes her power to resist even more spectacular.

quote:

Edward dropped his hands, not even breathing while I listened farther and farther out into the web of green life, sifting through the scents and sounds for something not totally repellant to my thirst. There was a hint of something different, a faint trail to the east.…

My eyes flashed open, but my focus was still on sharper senses as I turned and darted silently eastward. The ground sloped steeply upward almost at once, and I ran in a hunting crouch, close to the ground, taking to the trees when that was easier. I sensed rather than heard Edward with me, flowing quietly through the woods, letting me lead.

The vegetation thinned as we climbed higher; the scent of pitch and resin grew more powerful, as did the trail I followed—it was a warm scent, sharper than the smell of the elk and more appealing. A few seconds more and I could hear the muted padding of immense feet, so much subtler than the crunch of hooves. The sound was up—in the branches rather than on the ground. Automatically I darted into the boughs as well, gaining the strategic higher position, halfway up a towering silver fir.

Much like when the wolves were running around, I have no sense of where they're going or how far. They could be a mile from the house, they could be a hundred. It's all generic.

quote:

The soft thud of paws continued stealthily beneath me now; the rich scent was very close. My eyes pinpointed the movement linked with the sound, and I saw the tawny hide of the great cat slinking along the wide branch of a spruce just down and to the left of my perch. He was big—easily four times my mass. His eyes were intent on the ground beneath; the cat hunted, too. I caught the smell of something smaller, bland next to the aroma of my prey, cowering in brush below the tree. The lion’s tail twitched spasmodically as he prepared to spring.

With a light bound, I sailed through the air and landed on the lion’s branch. He felt the shiver of the wood and whirled, shrieking surprise and defiance. He clawed the space between us, his eyes bright with fury. Half-crazed with thirst, I ignored the exposed fangs and the hooked claws and launched myself at him, knocking us both to the forest floor.

It wasn’t much of a fight.

His raking claws could have been caressing fingers for all the impact they had on my skin. His teeth could find no purchase against my shoulder or my throat. His weight was nothing. My teeth unerringly sought his throat, and his instinctive resistance was pitifully feeble against my strength. My jaws locked easily over the precise point where the heat flow concentrated.

It was effortless as biting into butter. My teeth were steel razors; they cut through the fur and fat and sinews like they weren’t there.

quote:

The flavor was wrong, but the blood was hot and wet and it soothed the ragged, itching thirst as I drank in an eager rush. The cat’s struggles grew more and more feeble, and his screams choked off with a gurgle. The warmth of the blood radiated throughout my whole body, heating even my fingertips and toes.

The lion was finished before I was. The thirst flared again when he ran dry, and I shoved his carcass off my body in disgust. How could I still be thirsty after all that?

She has the same problem she does with sex!

quote:

I wrenched myself erect in one quick move. Standing, I realized I was a bit of a mess. I wiped my face off on the back of my arm and tried to fix the dress. The claws that had been so ineffectual against my skin had had more success with the thin satin.

Oh yeah, even more clothing damage!

quote:

“Hmm,” Edward said. I looked up to see him leaning casually against a tree trunk, watching me with a thoughtful look on his face.

“I guess I could have done that better.” I was covered in dirt, my hair knotted, my dress bloodstained and hanging in tatters. Edward didn’t come home from hunting trips looking like this.

“You did perfectly fine,” he assured me. “It’s just that… it was much more difficult for me to watch than it should have been.”

I raised my eyebrows, confused.

“It goes against the grain,” he explained, “letting you wrestle with lions. I was having an anxiety attack the whole time.”

“Silly.”

“I know. Old habits die hard. I like the improvements to your dress, though.”

She's basically naked at this point.

quote:

If I could have blushed, I would have. I changed the subject. “Why am I still thirsty?”

“Because you’re young.”

I sighed. “And I don’t suppose there are any other mountain lions nearby.”

“Plenty of deer, though.”

I made a face. “They don’t smell as good.”

“Herbivores. The meat-eaters smell more like humans,” he explained.

Wait, does this mean vegans are at less risk of vampire attacks?

quote:

“Not that much like humans,” I disagreed, trying not to remember.

“We could go back,” he said solemnly, but there was a teasing light in his eye. “Whoever it was out there, if they were men, they probably wouldn’t even mind death if you were the one delivering it.” His gaze ran over my ravaged dress again. “In fact, they would think they were already dead and gone to heaven the moment they saw you.”

Stop erasing gay people, Edward.

quote:

I rolled my eyes and snorted. “Let’s go hunt some stinking herbivores.”

We found a large herd of mule deer as we ran back toward home. He hunted with me this time, now that I’d gotten the hang of it. I brought down a large buck, making nearly as much of a mess as I had with the lion. He’d finished with two before I was done with the first, not a hair ruffled, not a spot on his white shirt. We chased the scattered and terrified herd, but instead of feeding again, this time I watched carefully to see how he was able to hunt so neatly.

All the times that I had wished that Edward would not have to leave me behind when he hunted, I had secretly been just a little relieved. Because I was sure that seeing this would be frightening. Horrifying. That seeing him hunt would finally make him look like a vampire to me.

Of course, it was much different from this perspective, as a vampire myself. But I doubted that even my human eyes would have missed the beauty here.

Edward Cullen: perfect at everything except being a decent person.

quote:

It was a surprisingly sensual experience to observe Edward hunting. His smooth spring was like the sinuous strike of a snake; his hands were so sure, so strong, so completely inescapable; his full lips were perfect as they parted gracefully over his gleaming teeth. He was glorious. I felt a sudden jolt of both pride and desire. He was mine. Nothing could ever separate him from me now. I was too strong to be torn from his side.

Okay is this another fetish Meyer is revealing? Because this book seems way more overtly masturbation material for her than the previous ones.

quote:

He was very quick. He turned to me and gazed curiously at my gloating expression.

“No longer thirsty?” he asked.

I shrugged. “You distracted me. You’re much better at it than I am.”

“Centuries of practice.” He smiled. His eyes were a disconcertingly lovely shade of honey gold now.

“Just one,” I corrected him.

"You fool."

quote:

He laughed. “Are you done for today? Or did you want to continue?”

“Done, I think.” I felt very full, sort of sloshy, even. I wasn’t sure how much more liquid would fit into my body. But the burn in my throat was only muted. Then again, I’d known that thirst was just an inescapable part of this life.

And worth it.

I felt in control. Perhaps my sense of security was false, but I did feel pretty good about not killing anyone today. If I could resist totally human strangers, wouldn’t I be able to handle the werewolf and a half-vampire child that I loved?

I mean the book has no real stakes or serious conflict, so...

quote:

“I want to see Renesmee,” I said. Now that my thirst was tamed (if nothing close to erased), my earlier worries were hard to forget. I wanted to reconcile the stranger who was my daughter with the creature I’d loved three days ago. It was so odd, so wrong not to have her inside me still. Abruptly, I felt empty and uneasy.

He held out his hand to me. I took it, and his skin felt warmer than before. His cheek was faintly flushed, the shadows under his eyes all but vanished.

I was unable to resist stroking his face again. And again.

I sort of forgot that I was waiting for a response to my request as I stared into his shimmering gold eyes.

After the "Jacob lurching through a park leering at underage girls" scene, I wonder if Meyer actually envisions any of these scenes in her head. Imagine that you stumbled upon this scene in the woods: a hot heterosexual teen couple, the boy in spotless clothes with perfectly coiffed hair and the girl wearing a few torn strips of blood-soaked satin with her hair knotted and filled with dirt and leaves, as she silently strokes his cheek. Surrounded by deer that have been gruesomely torn to shreds.

quote:

It was almost as hard as it had been to turn away from the scent of human blood, but I somehow kept the need to be careful firmly in my head as I stretched up on my toes and wrapped my arms around him. Gently.

He was not so hesitant in his movements; his arms locked around my waist and pulled me tight against his body. His lips crushed down on mine, but they felt soft. My lips no longer shaped themselves around his; they held their own.

Like before, it was as if the touch of his skin, his lips, his hands, was sinking right through my smooth, hard skin and into my new bones. To the very core of my body. I hadn’t imagined that I could love him more than I had.

My old mind hadn’t been capable of holding this much love. My old heart had not been strong enough to bear it.

I should point out that in New Moon that Meyer really did use "Bella just has too much love" as the explanation for her sudden bout of schizophrenic hallucinations and self-harming behavior.

quote:

Maybe this was the part of me that I’d brought forward to be intensified in my new life. Like Carlisle’s compassion and Esme’s devotion. I would probably never be able to do anything interesting or special like Edward, Alice, and Jasper could do. Maybe I would just love Edward more than anyone in the history of the world had ever loved anyone else.

I could live with that.

I remembered parts of this—twisting my fingers in his hair, tracing the planes of his chest—but other parts were so new. He was new. It was an entirely different experience with Edward kissing me so fearlessly, so forcefully. I responded to his intensity, and then suddenly we were falling.

“Oops,” I said, and he laughed underneath me. “I didn’t mean to tackle you like that. Are you okay?”

Again, go back to my description of what this scene looks like.

quote:

He stroked my face. “Slightly better than okay.” And then a perplexed expression crossed his face. “Renesmee?” he asked uncertainly, trying to ascertain what I wanted most in this moment. A very difficult question to answer, because I wanted so many things at the same time.

"We should probably leave before the decomposition starts."

quote:

I could tell that he wasn’t exactly averse to procrastinating our return trip, and it was hard to think about much besides his skin on mine—there really wasn’t that much left of the dress. But my memory of Renesmee, before and after her birth, was becoming more and more dreamlike to me. More unlikely. All my memories of her were human memories; an aura of artificiality clung to them. Nothing seemed real that I hadn’t seen with these eyes, touched with these hands.

Every minute, the reality of that little stranger slipped further away.

As if these books have been connected to reality at any point.

quote:

“Renesmee,” I agreed, rueful, and I whipped back up onto my feet, pulling him with me.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 16, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

So I forget, is there a reason why they didn’t just hand her a six-pack from the blood bank as soon as she woke up? We’d have an inevitable “first hunt” scene regardless but she’d at least get some time with her baby before going out to eat a huge pussy and bust up a stag party.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Midjack posted:

So I forget, is there a reason why they didn’t just hand her a six-pack from the blood bank as soon as she woke up? We’d have an inevitable “first hunt” scene regardless but she’d at least get some time with her baby before going out to eat a huge pussy and bust up a stag party.

They conveniently ran out right before the birth.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Memes are the only thing that will get me through this book.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I can't GOD drat BELIEVE the book actually has Bella come across the scent of human prey and just shamelessly smothers that tension in the crib. That's just infuriating on a new level.

The scene of Bella wire gliding into a mountain lion is hilarious at least.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grammarchist posted:

I can't GOD drat BELIEVE the book actually has Bella come across the scent of human prey and just shamelessly smothers that tension in the crib. That's just infuriating on a new level.

Then you're going to love the rest of the book!

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
WHY IS EVERYONE SHOCKED BELLA CAN GO WITHOUT EATING PEOPLE

Canonically, there are already two other vampires in the loving coven that have never drunk human blood in their lives. Carlisle and Rosalie both went through being a newborn and never got overwhelmed by bloodlust and drank anyone. Dunno about Rose, but Carlisle was hiding in some dude's house while he transformed and would have been around way more fresh blood when he turned newborn. Bella had actual months to prepare for this and everyone is like ohhhhhh shiiiiiiit how are you doing the same thing that 2/7 members of this family have already done. That's loving craaaaaazy, Bella!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MorgaineDax posted:

WHY IS EVERYONE SHOCKED BELLA CAN GO WITHOUT EATING PEOPLE

Canonically, there are already two other vampires in the loving coven that have never drunk human blood in their lives. Carlisle and Rosalie both went through being a newborn and never got overwhelmed by bloodlust and drank anyone. Dunno about Rose, but Carlisle was hiding in some dude's house while he transformed and would have been around way more fresh blood when he turned newborn. Bella had actual months to prepare for this and everyone is like ohhhhhh shiiiiiiit how are you doing the same thing that 2/7 members of this family have already done. That's loving craaaaaazy, Bella!

Because it's narratively bullshit to spend at least two books talking about all these issues she'll face and then we get told that it's not actually a problem and we never had to worry?

Also, Carlisle didn't drink blood but he also spent an unknown length of time repeatedly attempting suicide and lurching around England in agony until he figured out that he could drink animal blood. And Edward saying that Bella is more resistant than all the Cullens implies that Rosalie also had to spend some time working on it.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Rose straight up curbstomps 7 guys to death as a newborn and doesn't drink any of them, while Bella doesn't drink one hiker after getting a whiff from far away. Whatever control Bella has, Rose has to have far more. Edward is just being a dick here.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

MorgaineDax posted:

Rose straight up curbstomps 7 guys to death as a newborn and doesn't drink any of them, while Bella doesn't drink one hiker after getting a whiff from far away. Whatever control Bella has, Rose has to have far more. Edward is just being a dick here.

This is a good point, I just completely forgot there were somewhat interesting characters in an elliptical orbit around this story.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Grammarchist posted:

This is a good point, I just completely forgot there were somewhat interesting characters in an elliptical orbit around this story.

That's literally the back half of this entire book, really.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 22: Promised

quote:

Thinking of Renesmee brought her to that center-stage place in my strange, new, and roomy but distractible mind. So many questions.

Many of which will remain unanswered!

quote:

“Tell me about her,” I insisted as he took my hand. Being linked barely slowed us.

“She’s like nothing else in the world,” he told me, and the sound of an almost religious devotion was there again in his voice.

Okay this is just getting ridiculous now.

quote:

I felt a sharp pang of jealousy over this stranger. He knew her and I did not. It wasn’t fair.

And of course, Bella has to immediately distract us from the weirdness of the last sentence by making it all about her.

quote:

“How much is she like you? How much like me? Or like I was, anyway.”

“It seems a fairly even divide.”

“She was warm-blooded,” I remembered.

“Yes. She has a heartbeat, though it runs a little bit faster than a human’s. Her temperature is a little bit hotter than usual, too. She sleeps.”

“Really?”

“Quite well for a newborn. The only parents in the world who don’t need sleep, and our child already sleeps through the night.” He chuckled.

Even the realities of raising a baby are completely removed from Bella's world! This really does come off like Meyer having a lot of repressed feelings about getting married and raising three kids at a young age.

quote:

I liked the way he said our child. The words made her more real.

“She has exactly your color eyes—so that didn’t get lost, after all.” He smiled at me. “They’re so beautiful.”

“And the vampire parts?” I asked.

“Her skin seems about as impenetrable as ours. Not that anyone would dream of testing that.”

Except Emmett, who's currently looking for Alice's circular saw in the garage.

quote:

I blinked at him, a little shocked.

“Of course no one would,” he assured me again. “Her diet… well, she prefers to drink blood. Carlisle continues to try to persuade her to drink some baby formula, too, but she doesn’t have much patience with it. Can’t say that I blame her—nasty-smelling stuff, even for human food.”

I gaped openly at him now. He made it sound like they were having conversations. “Persuade her?”

“She’s intelligent, shockingly so, and progressing at an immense pace. Though she doesn’t speak—yet—she communicates quite effectively.”

“Doesn’t. Speak. Yet.”

Oh yeah, Renesmee is a weird baby.

quote:

He slowed our pace further, letting me absorb this.

“What do you mean, she communicates effectively?” I demanded.

“I think it will be easier for you to… see for yourself. It’s rather difficult to describe.”

I considered that. I knew there was a lot that I needed to see for myself before it would be real. I wasn’t sure how much more I was ready for, so I changed the subject.

“Why is Jacob still here?” I asked. “How can he stand it? Why should he?” My ringing voice trembled a little. “Why should he have to suffer more?”

She says as she dramatically flings herself over a log, hand across her brow.

quote:

“Jacob isn’t suffering,” he said in a strange new tone. “Though I might be willing to change his condition,” Edward added through his teeth.

“Edward!” I hissed, yanking him to a stop (and feeling a little thrill of smugness that I was able to do it). “How can you say that? Jacob has given up everything to protect us! What I’ve put him through—!” I cringed at the dim memory of shame and guilt. It seemed odd now that I had needed him so much then. That sense of absence without him near had vanished; it must have been a human weakness. “

You’ll see exactly how I can say that,” Edward muttered. “I promised him that I would let him explain, but I doubt you’ll see it much differently than I do. Of course, I’m often wrong about your thoughts, aren’t I?” He pursed his lips and eyed me.

For the first time, I'm on Edward's side of something.

quote:

“Explain what?”

Edward shook his head. “I promised. Though I don’t know if I really owe him anything at all anymore.…” His teeth ground together.

“Edward, I don’t understand.” Frustration and indignation took over my head.

He stroked my cheek and then smiled gently when my face smoothed out in response, desire momentarily overruling annoyance. “It’s harder than you make it look, I know. I remember.”

“I don’t like feeling confused.”

“I know. And so let’s get you home, so that you can see it all for yourself.” His eyes ran over the remains of my dress as he spoke of going home, and he frowned. “Hmm.” After a half second of thought, he unbuttoned his white shirt and held it out for me to put my arms through.

“That bad?”

He grinned.

"Your diamond-hard labia is out."

quote:

I slipped my arms into his sleeves and then buttoned it swiftly over my ragged bodice. Of course, that left him without a shirt, and it was impossible not to find that distracting.

Please stop. I beg of you.

quote:

“I’ll race you,” I said, and then cautioned, “no throwing the game this time!”

He dropped my hand and grinned. “On your mark…”

Want to see a master class in skipping anything that could force interesting writing?

quote:

Finding my way to my new home was simpler than walking down Charlie’s street to my old one. Our scent left a clear and easy trail to follow, even running as fast as I could.

Edward had me beat till we hit the river. I took a chance and made my leap early, trying to use my extra strength to win.

“Ha!” I exulted when I heard my feet touch the grass first.

That's it! That's the whole race!

quote:

Listening for his landing, I heard something I did not expect.

Something loud and much too close. A thudding heart.

Edward was beside me in the same second, his hands clamped down hard on the tops of my arms.

“Don’t breathe,” he cautioned me urgently.

I tried not to panic as I froze mid-breath. My eyes were the only things that moved, wheeling instinctively to find the source of the sound.

Jacob stood at the line where the forest touched the Cullens’ lawn, his arms folded across his body, his jaw clenched tight. Invisible in the woods behind him, I heard now two larger hearts, and the faint crush of bracken under huge, pacing paws.

“Carefully, Jacob,” Edward said. A snarl from the forest echoed the concern in his voice. “Maybe this isn’t the best way—”

“You think it would be better to let her near the baby first?” Jacob interrupted. “It’s safer to see how Bella does with me. I heal fast.”

This was a test? To see if I could not kill Jacob before I tried to not kill Renesmee? I felt sick in the strangest way—it had nothing to do with my stomach, only my mind. Was this Edward’s idea?

So again, remember that Jacob and Renesmee were in the house when Bella woke up, and she was doing all sorts of gasping and hyperventilating. She could detect a pair of hikers from presumably miles, but the two of them a single floor below were undetectable? Did the Cullens just fill the house with potpourri and incense to disguise them? Not like it would work, since she can pick out every sensory input as she desires.

What I'm saying is that Meyer has done literally no planning about any of the vampire powers.

quote:

I glanced at his face anxiously; Edward seemed to deliberate for a moment, and then his expression twisted from concern into something else. He shrugged, and there was an undercurrent of hostility in his voice when he said, “It’s your neck, I guess.”

The growl from the forest was furious this time; Leah, I had no doubt.

What was with Edward? After all that we’d been through, shouldn’t he have been able to feel some kindness for my best friend? I’d thought—maybe foolishly—that Edward was sort of Jacob’s friend now, too. I must have misread them.

Edward is desperately hoping that Bella just kills Jacob here.

quote:

But what was Jacob doing? Why would he offer himself as a test to protect Renesmee?

It didn’t make any sense to me. Even if our friendship had survived…

And as my eyes met Jacob’s now, I thought that maybe it had. He still looked like my best friend. But he wasn’t the one who had changed. What did I look like to him?

Hair tangled and full of forest debris, soaked in blood, wearing Edward's shirt over what little remains of her dress?

quote:

Then he smiled his familiar smile, the smile of a kindred spirit, and I was sure our friendship was intact. It was just like before, when we were hanging out in his homemade garage, just two friends killing time. Easy and normal. Again, I noticed that the strange need I’d felt for him before I’d changed was completely gone. He was just my friend, the way it was supposed to be.

Oh gently caress off with that writing. "Now that I had the baby halfway through the book, all of our issues are magically dropped and we're back to normal!" All of the possible character development that could have occurred is just wiping the slate clean and bringing them back to how they were a year ago.

This is something that could be another Forever Dawn leftover. Because the events of New Moon and Eclipse never happened in that continuity, Jacob never had anything romantic with Bella and always remained her ever-chipper best friend. It would be much easier for a writer who's already obviously lazy to find a convenient excuse to throw out 2.5 books' worth of plot and relationships to get back to her original draft.

quote:

It still made no sense what he was doing now, though. Was he really so selfless that he would try to protect me—with his own life—from doing something in an uncontrolled split second that I would regret in agony forever? That went way beyond simply tolerating what I had become, or miraculously managing to stay my friend. Jacob was one of the best people I knew, but this seemed like too much to accept from anyone.

"One of the best people I know, discounting the multiple attempts at murder and rape."

quote:

His grin widened, and he shuddered slightly. “I gotta say it, Bells. You’re a freak show.”

I grinned back, falling easily into the old pattern. This was a side of him I understood.

Edward growled. “Watch yourself, mongrel.”

God, how did she write this dialogue and think it was cool?

quote:

The wind blew from behind me and I quickly filled my lungs with the safe air so I could speak. “No, he’s right. The eyes are really something, aren’t they?”

How did that work? Is she turning around and inhaling the wind but nothing else in the air? Does she think the atmosphere is segmented in that way on the ground?

quote:

“Super-creepy. But it’s not as bad as I thought it would be.”

“Gee—thanks for the amazing compliment!”

He rolled his eyes. “You know what I mean. You still look like you—sort of. Maybe it’s not the look so much as… you are Bella. I didn’t think it would feel like you were still here.” He smiled at me again without a trace of bitterness or resentment anywhere in his face. Then he chuckled and said, “Anyway, I guess I’ll get used to the eyes soon enough.”

“You will?” I asked, confused. It was wonderful that we were still friends, but it wasn’t like we’d be spending much time together.

Again, Jacob's initial reaction to hearing that Bella could have been transformed into a vampire was "Welp, guess I'm murdering her and as many of the Cullens as possible before taking her down." The time it takes him to get over that? About 10 seconds of conversation.

quote:

The strangest look crossed his face, erasing the smile. It was almost… guilty? Then his eyes shifted to Edward.

“Thanks,” he said. “I didn’t know if you’d be able to keep it from her, promise or not. Usually, you just give her everything she wants.”

“Maybe I’m hoping she’ll get irritated and rip your head off,” Edward suggested.

Same.

quote:

Jacob snorted.

“What’s going on? Are you two keeping secrets from me?” I demanded, incredulous.

"Nobody ever does that in this book!"

quote:

“I’ll explain later,” Jacob said self-consciously—like he didn’t really plan on it. Then he changed the subject. “First, let’s get this show on the road.” His grin was a challenge now as he started slowly forward.

There was a whine of protest behind him, and then Leah’s gray body slid out of the trees behind him. The taller, sandy-colored Seth was right behind her.

“Cool it, guys,” Jacob said. “Stay out of this.”

"Do not allow your primitive emotions to let you stray from the course the white men have chosen for us!"

quote:

I was glad they didn’t listen to him but only followed after him a little more slowly.

The wind was still now; it wouldn’t blow his scent away from me.

He got close enough that I could feel the heat of his body in the air between us. My throat burned in response.

“C’mon, Bells. Do your worst.”

Leah hissed.

I didn’t want to breathe. It wasn’t right to take such dangerous advantage of Jacob, no matter if he was the one offering. But I couldn’t get away from the logic. How else could I be sure that I wouldn’t hurt Renesmee?

“I’m getting older here, Bella,” Jacob taunted. “Okay, not technically, but you get the idea. Go on, take a whiff.”

This is the worst Old Spice commercial I've ever seen.

quote:

“Hold on to me,” I said to Edward, cringing back into his chest.

His hands tightened on my arms.

I locked my muscles in place, hoping I could keep them frozen. I resolved that I would do at least as well as I had on the hunt. Worst-case scenario, I would stop breathing and run for it. Nervously, I took a tiny breath in through my nose, braced for anything.

So....has he showered yet?

quote:

It hurt a little, but my throat was already burning dully anyway. Jacob didn’t smell that much more human than the mountain lion. There was an animal edge to his blood that instantly repelled. Though the loud, wet sound of his heart was appealing, the scent that went with it made my nose wrinkle. It was actually easier with the smell to temper my reaction to the sound and heat of his pulsing blood.

I took another breath and relaxed. “Huh. I can see what everyone’s been going on about. You stink, Jacob.”

I was right! He hasn't showered!

quote:

Edward burst into laughter; his hands slipped from my shoulders to wrap around my waist. Seth barked a low chortle in harmony with Edward; he came a little closer while Leah retreated several paces. And then I was aware of another audience when I heard Emmett’s low, distinct guffaw, muffled a little by the glass wall between us.

“Look who’s talking,” Jacob said, theatrically plugging his nose. His face didn’t pucker at all while Edward embraced me, not even when Edward composed himself and whispered “I love you” in my ear. Jacob just kept grinning. This made me feel hopeful that things were going to be right between us, the way they hadn’t been for so long now. Maybe now I could truly be his friend, since I disgusted him enough physically that he couldn’t love me the same way as before. Maybe that was all that was needed.

This book is a loving trip.

quote:

“Okay, so I passed, right?” I said. “Now are you going to tell me what this big secret is?”

Jacob’s expression became very nervous. “It’s nothing you need to worry about this second.…”

I heard Emmett chuckle again—a sound of anticipation.

I really wish we were there when Jacob had to tell Emmett what he did.

quote:

I would have pressed my point, but as I listened to Emmett, I heard other sounds, too. Seven people breathing. One set of lungs moving more rapidly than the others. Only one heart fluttering like a bird’s wings, light and quick.

I was totally diverted. My daughter was just on the other side of that thin wall of glass. I couldn’t see her—the light bounced off the reflective windows like a mirror. I could only see myself, looking very strange—so white and still—compared to Jacob. Or, compared to Edward, looking exactly right.

“Renesmee,” I whispered. Stress made me a statue again. Renesmee wasn’t going to smell like an animal. Would I put her in danger?

As if anything that potentially interesting could happen.

quote:

“Come and see,” Edward murmured. “I know you can handle this.”

“You’ll help me?” I whispered through motionless lips.

Try whispering that without moving your lips and see how it comes out.

quote:

“Of course I will.”

“And Emmett and Jasper—just in case?”

“We’ll take care of you, Bella. Don’t worry, we’ll be ready. None of us would risk Renesmee. I think you’ll be surprised at how entirely she’s already wrapped us all around her little fingers. She’ll be perfectly safe, no matter what.”

Even more lines that would make great foreshadowing for Evil Renesmee!

quote:

My yearning to see her, to understand the worship in his voice, broke my frozen pose. I took a step forward.

And then Jacob was in my way, his face a mask of worry.

“Are you sure, bloodsucker?” he demanded of Edward, his voice almost pleading. I’d never heard him speak to Edward that way. “I don’t like this. Maybe she should wait—”

“You had your test, Jacob.”

It was Jacob’s test?

“But—,” Jacob began.

“But nothing,” Edward said, suddenly exasperated. “Bella needs to see our daughter. Get out of her way.”

Jacob shot me an odd, frantic look and then turned and nearly sprinted into the house ahead of us.

Edward growled.

I couldn’t make sense of their confrontation, and I couldn’t concentrate on it, either. I could only think about the blurred child in my memory and struggle against the haziness, trying to remember her face exactly.

Don't worry, I can rarely make sense of these characters most of the time.

quote:

“Shall we?” Edward said, his voice gentle again.

I nodded nervously.

He took my hand tightly in his and led the way into the house.

They waited for me in a smiling line that was both welcoming and defensive. Rosalie was several paces behind the rest of them, near the front door. She was alone until Jacob joined her and then stood in front of her, closer than was normal. There was no sense of comfort in that closeness; both of them seemed to cringe from the proximity.

Someone very small was leaning forward out of Rosalie’s arms, peering around Jacob. Immediately, she had my absolute attention, my every thought, the way nothing else had owned them since the moment I’d opened my eyes.

“I was out just two days?” I gasped, disbelieving.

BEHOLD

quote:

The stranger-child in Rosalie’s arms had to be weeks, if not months, old. She was maybe twice the size of the baby in my dim memory, and she seemed to be supporting her own torso easily as she stretched toward me. Her shiny bronze-colored hair fell in ringlets past her shoulders. Her chocolate brown eyes examined me with an interest that was not at all childlike; it was adult, aware and intelligent. She raised one hand, reaching in my direction for a moment, and then reached back to touch Rosalie’s throat.

If her face had not been astonishing in its beauty and perfection, I wouldn’t have believed it was the same child. My child.

But Edward was there in her features, and I was there in the color of her eyes and cheeks. Even Charlie had a place in her thick curls, though their color matched Edward’s. She must be ours. Impossible, but still true.

Seeing this unanticipated little person did not make her more real, though. It only made her more fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgI_oMMIU0E

Unfortunately, there's just no way to get the required look of "A 3-month-old baby with adult intelligence and emotions" without resorting to some serious Uncanny Valley CGI.

What they tried first was worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jOuy-HOcg8

The infamous "Chuckesmee" was one of those few special effects that's such a dismal failure that you give up completely. Nikki Reed's distinctly creeped out look while holding the stuff of nightmares was the universal response among the cast and crew.

quote:

Rosalie patted the hand against her neck and murmured, “Yes, that’s her.”

Renesmee’s eyes stayed locked on mine. Then, as she had just seconds after her violent birth, she smiled at me. A brilliant flash of tiny, perfect white teeth.

Reeling inside, I took a hesitant step toward her.

Everyone moved very fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Man that animatronic doll is some poo poo.