Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

That's not too bad for younger children. I might have my 5 year old watch it. I'm just taking the 10 year old to the protests with me at this point.

Pretty much any young kid will feel outraged if you try and explain racism and police brutality to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I grew up with news because my parents would watch network news every night. My kids are not growing up with news because of 1) streaming, and 2) I don't have cable and wouldn't have cable news on anyway. And they're not old enough to seek it out or to know to seek it out.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Look Sir Droids posted:

I grew up with news because my parents would watch network news every night. My kids are not growing up with news because of 1) streaming, and 2) I don't have cable and wouldn't have cable news on anyway. And they're not old enough to seek it out or to know to seek it out.
Yeah, apparently my eight year old does even not know what a "channel" is (i.e., a TV channel).

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

My oldest will be 7 in a couple of weeks. I should figure something out before he skims YouTube and gets Alex Jonesed or something.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Grip it and rip it posted:

Is there a historical individual that is/was considered the bane of the legal profession?

Karl Llewellyn

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Karl Llewellyn

Richard Posner

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

homullus posted:

Richard Posner

Bill W.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

I appreciate this post.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

missed opportunity to use the cleveland browns' "I feel that you should be aware that some rear end in a top hat is signing your name to stupid letters" response

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Look Sir Droids posted:

My oldest will be 7 in a couple of weeks. I should figure something out before he skims YouTube and gets Alex Jonesed or something.

We don't let our kids watch YouTube unsupervised

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mine are 15 and 13 and I still review their YouTube usage religiously. Especially the 15 year old. The “this is why you aren’t allowed to watch PewDiePie” discussion was rough.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We've got a, uh, a something in the legal questions thread.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Yeah it's pretty neat.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

If they make their own thread they can be the new zaurg.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Law Megathread: I'm honestly surprised people as stupid as you can be lawyers but hey, whaddayaknow.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

nm posted:

Law Megathread: I'm honestly surprised people as stupid as you can be lawyers but hey, whaddayaknow.

I mean this is a variant of the pep talk I give pre-bar exam students: “Michael Cohen managed to pass the bar. You too can meet that low low threshold.”

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

the margins on this are personally offensive to me what the hell is the formatting on the last page

Many in-house lawyers are shoehorned into using corporate letter templates that were made by some graphical designer drinking their tall venti sugar-free caramel macchiatto latte with extra almond cream and organic sugar who's never opened Word up to being told to design a letter template.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Discendo Vox posted:

We've got a, uh, a something in the legal questions thread.

Truly, something awful

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Ok so EW ate a 6'er two days ago in the General Election thread, and now DV is sitting out a 24. Here are the betting lines:

O/U on how long until EW gets put back in free speech jail (bets must be in by 5:00pm CT)
- 36 hours

O/U on how long his next prob is for
- 25 hours

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I would ask what got him the proby, but I'm sure it was not at all offensive or spicy.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

I would ask what got him the proby, but I'm sure it was not at all offensive or spicy.

"backseat modding" lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
does it really take 10k to incorporate a LLC properly? a neighbor was just asking me about this a few days ago, some friends of his were each looking to put 50k into a business together but were worried about legal costs . I don't know anyone at all in that world and was going to ask my friend with his board game company on how much he spent to incorporate but I'm betting he did it ultra cheaply and it'll bite him in the rear end someday (for what it's worth, his kickstarters keep pulling in 1-300k but once he makes it big i'm sure his investors are going to want a payout, immediately, and I dont think he's ready for that)

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

Ok so EW ate a 6'er two days ago in the General Election thread, and now DV is sitting out a 24. Here are the betting lines:

O/U on how long until EW gets put back in free speech jail (bets must be in by 5:00pm CT)
- 36 hours

- 25 hours

O/U on how long until EW gets put back in free speech jail

I'm going to give him a generous 72 hours with a +/- of 6 hours from this post.

I'm gonna go with a solid 7 day probie

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

mastershakeman posted:

does it really take 10k to incorporate a LLC properly? a neighbor was just asking me about this a few days ago, some friends of his were each looking to put 50k into a business together but were worried about legal costs . I don't know anyone at all in that world and was going to ask my friend with his board game company on how much he spent to incorporate but I'm bettingy he did it ultra cheaply and it'll bite him in the rear end someday (for what it's worth, his kickstarters keep pulling in 1-300k but once he makes it big i'm sure his investors are going to want a payout, immediately, and I dont think he's ready for that)

Depends on the LLC of course but if you are planning on accepting venture capital and working with IP within a regulated industry you’re going to want more than simple articles and a basic operating agreement.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

mastershakeman posted:

does it really take 10k to incorporate a LLC properly? a neighbor was just asking me about this a few days ago, some friends of his were each looking to put 50k into a business together but were worried about legal costs . I don't know anyone at all in that world and was going to ask my friend with his board game company on how much he spent to incorporate but I'm betting he did it ultra cheaply and it'll bite him in the rear end someday (for what it's worth, his kickstarters keep pulling in 1-300k but once he makes it big i'm sure his investors are going to want a payout, immediately, and I dont think he's ready for that)

Really depends on what the business is, what they are going to do with the business, how many members there are, is it member/manager LLC, etc. You could incorporate an LLC for the costs of a filing fee, maybe spend a thousand on an operating agreement, and be fine, or you could end up spending a bunch to work out contingencies in advance.

I mentioned $10k because I don't want to deal with people that don't have the money to pay me

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

mastershakeman posted:

What's the typical margin on a board game? I'm not sure why there's a need for investors at all as I assume it's pretty decent if it's not heavily commercialized like monopoly and poo poo, which I'm guessing bc there are multiple Kickstarters

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

For a 3 member, relatively small ($150k qualifies) capital investment LLC I might end up charging 3-10k depending. If you need promissory notes, stock pledge agreements, General Partnership etc. on top of your AoIs, meeting minutes, operating agreement.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, it really varies. My dad and uncle did up an LLC for their beach cabin and it probably cost less than a grand because they wanted the OA to have provisions about paying upkeep costs, taxes, possible capital calls, etc. All pretty standard and easy stuff but easy to overlook for a family beach house. If they'd done it themselves on LegalZoom it probably would have been fine.

On the other hand if you're putting together an LLC to accept angel investors or venture capital you want to spend more because you need more bells and whistles. Provisions to protect a certain percentage of founder equity while still making room for angels/VC to buy ownership in exchange for cash, controls on debt, different member/manager arrangements to (again) set the balance of power between the founders and capital, escape hatches for the various interests, yadda yadda.

Like, if captain youtube there is just putting together an LLC to do his own thing for a while and plans to hire lawyers to draft up any agreements with investors, the lawyers should have him redo the LLC documents at the same time he's taking the cash. Meaning he'll spend the legal fees then and it's (maybe) okay.

But he's probably already hosed something fundamental up like failing to put the relevant IP in the LLC as opposed to keeping it personally, so there's even more to untangle when he goes to take investor money.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

blarzgh posted:

- 36 hours

- 25 hours

Are these even money lines? I'd take the under on both, personally, unless the over is +200 or something larger.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Arcturas posted:

But he's probably already hosed something fundamental up like failing to put the relevant IP in the LLC as opposed to keeping it personally, so there's even more to untangle when he goes to take investor money.

Lol at the thought that he’ll ever get that far.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

blarzgh posted:

- 36 hours

- 25 hours

Under, under.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

blarzgh posted:

- 36 hours

- 25 hours

Under and over.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

blarzgh posted:

- 36 hours

- 25 hours

Over, under. The mods are simpering and weak.

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e

Arcturas posted:

Yeah, it really varies. My dad and uncle did up an LLC for their beach cabin and it probably cost less than a grand because they wanted the OA to have provisions about paying upkeep costs, taxes, possible capital calls, etc. All pretty standard and easy stuff but easy to overlook for a family beach house. If they'd done it themselves on LegalZoom it probably would have been fine.

On the other hand if you're putting together an LLC to accept angel investors or venture capital you want to spend more because you need more bells and whistles. Provisions to protect a certain percentage of founder equity while still making room for angels/VC to buy ownership in exchange for cash, controls on debt, different member/manager arrangements to (again) set the balance of power between the founders and capital, escape hatches for the various interests, yadda yadda.

Like, if captain youtube there is just putting together an LLC to do his own thing for a while and plans to hire lawyers to draft up any agreements with investors, the lawyers should have him redo the LLC documents at the same time he's taking the cash. Meaning he'll spend the legal fees then and it's (maybe) okay.

Neither here nor there, but I've never heard of a tech VC investing in anything in the U.S. that wasn't a Delaware C Corp unless it was specifically something weirder and presumably more expensive to setup (one of the weird social good corp things, pot or fintech startups trying to deal with regulation).

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Arcturas posted:

If you're going to raise outside capital you should be a Delaware corp (not an LLC). Also, while $10k isn't unreasonable for fees, most big firms with a startup practice will discount fees pretty significantly for startups, assuming your startup passes some minimum bar of not-suckiness, and will then recoup the fees after you raise capital.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Ani posted:

If you're going to raise outside capital you should be a Delaware corp (not an LLC). Also, while $10k isn't unreasonable for fees, most big firms with a startup practice will discount fees pretty significantly for startups, assuming your startup passes some minimum bar of not-suckiness, and will then recoup the fees after you raise capital.

A) This is a reason I don't do business formation, but a good point. Still, you can reform from LLC to C Corp if needed. It'll just be a pain.

B) Sure. $10k is the "annoying potential client" retainer/fee. I'd rather have someone emotionally prepared for that and then pleasantly surprised when it's less.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ani posted:

Ah, so THAT'S when you switch over to another firm. It's just like cable providers!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Local DA elections are wild.

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1270841046268813315

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1270843052236603394

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1270844901127860242

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1270847568315121665

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1270848689519681536

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1270849479067959301

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
That fuckin owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hoshi posted:

What's the typical margin on a board game? I'm not sure why there's a need for investors at all as I assume it's pretty decent if it's not heavily commercialized like monopoly and poo poo, which I'm guessing bc there are multiple Kickstarters

really bad. the industry is tiny and super gossipy and bad reviews on forums can ruin companies when they're starting out. I know there's specific countries where he basically just eats a high cost of shipping so as to prevent bitching about $25 shipping and that can wreck his margins, because he'd rather not get dragged. Same goes for his employees at trade shows- actually have to pay them well so they don't destroy you later. how uncivilized!

if he'd started out like 3 years prior he'd probably be making millions but by the time things got rolling the industry was incredibly crowded. I keep wondering at what point he's going to take the money and run since he puts in a ton of hours and hasn't made a cent.

it almost sounds like a personal injury firm model - do bread and butter launches/cases to stay in business and hope you get that one big fish

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 12, 2020